Latest News
  • *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 29th of June... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 29th of June... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 29th of June... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 29th of June... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 29th of June... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 29th of June... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 29th of June... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 29th of June... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 29th of June... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 29th of June... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 29th of June... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 29th of June... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 29th of June... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 29th of June... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 29th of June... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 29th of June... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 29th of June... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 29th of June... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 29th of June... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 29th of June... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 29th of June... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 29th of June... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 29th of June... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 29th of June... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 29th of June... it would be great to see you if your in town...!

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest firth1974

Lost In Translation Trip Report 2015

One note: At least the last time I was in Seoul, the taxi drivers are about the worst I've ever encountered anywhere, especially at night.

They don't like to pick up foreigners for some reason, and they also don't like getting too far from where it's busy at night. I've literally seen them stop, roll the window down and ask where you're going; if they don't want to go there they just drive away. They'll also sometimes take you part the way then stop and insist you get out and walk if they decide they're too far from where they want to be. Of course, there are no other taxis where they let you out so you have to walk the rest of the way.

This won't be as big of a problem during the day (probably not at all in fact), nor will it be as big of a problem in Itaewon is it would in other parts of town. It also depends on where your hotel is located.

Guest firth1974

DAY 3.

Today was up at the crack of dawn (well actually i've been up since around 4am, guess my body still thinks its in England), and had decided the night before to get to the Korean War Memorial and to Gyeongbokgung Palace (mainly because on Monday's everything in Seoul, and i presume Korea, is closed, museums and all!).
Anywhere you want to get to in Seoul, the subway is the best bet. Seems that the bog standard journey cost is 1150 Won ( roughly 70 pence UK), but that's only for a single journey, and you cannot change from one subway line to another, so its only useful if the stop you want is on the same line. But if you need to change from one line to another, you have to buy a ticket costing 1650 Won (£1), but that includes a 500 Won deposit you get back when you get to your destination stop, so basically they are both the same price. There is an Oyster card style card to you can buy, called a T-Card, but no idea where you get these from, so for the rest of my stay, i'm just going to buy single tickets.
The Korean War Memorial is situated just south of Seoul station, and is very easy to get to. Outside is a vast collection of planes, tanks, artillery, boats and the 2 brothers monument. Inside is 3 floors. 2 of those floors are dedicated to the Korean War (1950-1953) as well as covering all other conflicts the ROK have been involved in since. The ground floor covers Korean warfare dating back 100's of years, but i didn't get down to this level, as i had already been there for 4 hours and wanted to get to the palace. Entrance is free to the museum as well as the collection outside.
IMG_3532_zpscgsgwvah.jpg
IMG_3537_zps9d33cvku.jpg
IMG_3544_zpsjp750ogh.jpg
IMG_3546_zps6v9g5bfs.jpg
IMG_3584_zpsswwfwmhu.jpg
IMG_3618_zpsmelnrjth.jpg
IMG_3635_zpszqv414vm.jpg
IMG_3662_zpsqd1dh2dh.jpg
IMG_3761_zpswehhwhgt.jpg
Afterwards, i high tailed it off back to the subway to get to Jonggak station, and from there it is about a 7 min walk to the Palace. Entrance fee to the Palace is 3000 Won (just under £2). This place is huge, with lots of courtyards and buildings, and quite easy to get lost, but just follow everyone else and its all good.
IMG_3792_zpsgwmemkw3.jpg
IMG_3804_zpsddfdi3ax.jpg
IMG_3827_zpss6emrqqs.jpg
IMG_3834_zpsq5j6c4jg.jpg
IMG_3872_zpst9mrwfog.jpg
IMG_3934_zpscofaplrg.jpg

Here's the info about your T-Card mate: http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/TR/TR_EN_5_4.jsp

• Sales Locations: Convenience stores (GS 25, CU, Mini Stop, Buy The Way, 7-Eleven, Story Way) bearing the T-Money logo and Ticket Vending and Card Reload Devices inside subway stations

Note that there are also two other transit cards listed on that page.

Guest firth1974

Update to last night..............................

So, last night decided to head up to Itaewon and check out "Hooker Hill". The street is a kind of a cross between a very small Soi 6 type bar and an Amsterdam window. Loads of people seem to big this place up if your looking for a shag, but all i can say is what a let down!!! I arrived in the area at 10pm and left at 11.30pm and the whole place was very much deserted. Far more LB's than girls, and what girls there were you just wouldn't bother! The girls were looking for 100,000 Won, one pop and thats it, in and out as quick as possible, blowjob with condom only, and bog standard missionary position, unless you cough up more cash. I made my excuse's and left, had a couple of beers in a bar down the road, and then came home. Dont think i would go back there again in a hurry, maybe it was just the wrong time of night or its the quiet season right now, who knows!

DAY 3.

Monday. Everything in South Korea, like museums and the like are all closed on Monday's, so its kind of a boring day for me. Decided before hand to just travel around the city on the subway, and do some walking. Up early again, jetlag or whatever i dont know, but im still getting up really early.

Checked the map, and there is a place called Bukchon Hanok village. This village is about a 20min walk away from my hotel. (Very nearly got lost here, but then found out that even when my iPhone is switched off and only on airplane mode, that the Apple maps function still works and uses your GPS in the handset. You learn something new everyday). Hanok is the old style traditional Korean homes from the turn of the century and 100's of years before. The old homes that were square in nature, but all had a central courtyard in the middle. I doubt these homes are that old, but the whole area has been built in the old Hanok style.

IMG_4039_zpsfcxoa58y.jpg

IMG_4045_zpssmld9chm.jpg

IMG_4049_zpsrnqenhy1.jpg

IMG_4050_zpsikinngbl.jpg

IMG_4080_zpsrldyiqkj.jpg

Thank god i got here early. This photo was taken around 09.30am and the whole area was packed out with other tourists...............

IMG_4100_zpsuhloa3am.jpg

Afterwards, decided to head for the subway and make my way over to Gangnam, and see if my ole mate Psy is at home. Apparently he wasn't, so took a short walk around. The guide books are correct when they say that there is nothing for tourists here. If your flashing the cash about, or work for Samsung, then you will fit into this area quite well.

IMG_4128_zpszew8nsty.jpg

IMG_4133_zpsutz9lfwn.jpg

Somebody must of been pissed or stoned when this tower was being built...........................

IMG_4135_zps9hmba9u6.jpg

Next, on the recommendation of a BM here, i headed over to Seoul Station to check something out, but i couldn't find what i was told about. But the station is kind of impressed and large.

IMG_4168_zpsjwn8cdrd.jpg

I headed back towards my hotel, but decided to get off at Jonggak and walk along the Cheonggyecheon River. This is a river that cuts straight through Seoul from West to East and actually goes on for some distance. Its a beautiful place to walk along, and it always seems to be popular when i have walked along here for the past couple of days.

IMG_4179_zpsqqxl0ibc.jpg

IMG_4203_zpsm9twlk4n.jpg

If you walk far enough along this river, you come to an area called Dongdaemun, which is very much the clothing and textile area for Korea, where apparently lots of top Korean designers and shops come for their fabrics. It is also home to one of the old and original city gates, dating back to 1398.

IMG_4239_zps3tec3tyr.jpg

IMG_4251_zpsujgd6imq.jpg

On the way back to the hotel, i stopped off in Jongmyo Park (which actually had its 5 mins of fame with the BBC last year http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-27189951 ) Herethe place is full of old Korean men, who do nothing but chat, smoke and play this game. I get what the outcome of the game is, but does anyone know its name?

IMG_3449_zpscwawczew.jpg

Time for bed soon, as im off to the DMZ very early tomorrow morning

Good stuff. I went to Itaewon for the pubs rather than the non-action. Some good deals on food and beer on Mondays/Tuesdays.

Looking forward to your DMZ tour report, I loved it back in Feb, a little colder then though.

Went to "Hooker Hill" one time and wasn't impressed; didn't partake. I'd suggest the regular bars that cater to US servicemen, hash runners etc.

In addition to textiles, you can get good leather goods cheap in Dongdaemun including custon-made leather jackets and other clothing. I went there with a guy who was so big that it took two Koreans to measure his waist, one held one end of the tape measure and the other ran around him like he was a giant redwood with the other end!

He offered to buy me a jacket and I turned him down. What was I thinking?

The game looks to me like the Japanese game called Go.

The trip to the DMZ isn't long geographically, but the traffic is insane so it may take you more than an hour. Good luck.

Pretty sure that the game Go originally comes from China, I have been wrong before.

Oh sorry, top trip report.

Correct, I was wrong.

See? It happens now and then. ;)

Great Trip Report. There is a gadget show where you can see some

amazing robot displays somewhere.

Guest firth1974

Nice report, thanks for taking the time to post it.

Great report and pics as usual Chris, keep up the good report

Cheers guys, day 4 to come later today.

Just got back from my day out at the DMZ.

Enjoying the report very much.

+1

Thanks for taking the time Firth matey - looking forward to updates.

Edited by Smiler

Correct, I was wrong.

See? It happens now and then. ;)

who are you and how did you get mangos sign in

sorry for the tf firth

Guest firth1974

excellent report and photos as always Chris. nice one thanks

Cheers Mr Dee, just writing up today's visit to the DMZ.

Guest firth1974

DAY 4.

The trip to the DMZ.
Up at 6 for a 7am pick up from the hotel. I never realised the streets of Seoul were so quiet at this time of the morning. No cars, a few buses but quite a few people on their way to work. We were dropped off at the Lotte Hotel which looks like it is in the centre of the business district. From here we boarded the bus for the DMZ, stopping at a couple of places around Seoul to pick up others from different hotels. The journey from town to the DMZ takes around 45 minutes, and is a straight forward drive up the motorway. Its a strange sight as you drive up here, all along the edge of the motorway, the whole place is covered in barb wire, and sentry posts, and pill boxes,flood lights, search lights and M-16 gun toting soldiers. (This is more to do with stopping infiltrators coming ashore from the river).This is when you realise that technically, the North and South are still at war.
The last place on the road that the general public can get to, before you have to register with the Military, is a place called Imgingak. Its a weird little place, where families come up to on public holidays and, picnic i guess. There is an old smashed up locomotive from the war, a railway, eating places, ticket office for the reps to go and pay the fee's required, and that's about it.
IMG_4275_zpsngu9s5di.jpg
IMG_4278_zpsnf0kvw53.jpg
IMG_4285_zpswcyo0cl3.jpg
IMG_4288_zpsbt5rdwga.jpg
Even the little guys from Pattaya, up on the hill get here too!!...........................................
IMG_4295_zpsao7m5ya9.jpg
IMG_4302_zpsjtmexaqr.jpg
IMG_4313_zpsitwtdrio.jpg
From here its a short 5 min drive to the official military check point, where the rep's ticket is checked against our passports. We came a bit stuck here, as something didn't tally and the solider was not going to let us in for love nor money. So we turned around, went back around the barriers, and drove down the car entrance way and spoke with the senior officer. After 15 mins, and NO tea money being paid (the military are not that corrupt!!!), we made our way through and drove straight to the 3rd infiltration tunnel. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Tunnel_of_Aggression
IMG_4339_zps5ju7rq0a.jpg
IMG_4335_zpsafftf1zx.jpg
IMG_4345_zpstec1qthl.jpg
IMG_4346_zpsfa01qsgj.jpg
IMG_4351_zpsqqhcvz2w.jpg
Here you have to watch the video, find out a little of what happened, then join the Q to enter the tunnel entrance and make your way down 376 meters to a depth of 73 meters where the DPK tunnel is. Bags and cameras are locked away upstairs, but strangely you can take phones with you but strictly no photos down there!! (I have a few photos on my phone from inside, but will post when i create the photo thread for here later). You can only get so far down there, as they have made 3 blockades to stop the DPK from ever attempting to come through there again!
Its one seriously ball breaking hike back up the entrance tunnel afterwards, as it is so warm down there. I swear my heart beat could of restarted a Nuclear reactor, it was beating that fast!! lol.
So, back on the bus and then we headed to Dora Observatory, the highest point in this area, with a great view into North Korea, and all along the DMZ demarcation line.
IMG_4355_zpsao9nupgb.jpg
IMG_4357_zps2yhvipxs.jpg
IMG_4380_zpswsmafbft.jpg

Guest firth1974

IMG_4383_zpsychdk0mz.jpg

IMG_4394_zpsecvlzbei.jpg
The whole place was packed today, with the odd Chinese tour group, but mainly everyone here is Korean, and old. I guess for these people there are remembering the war and the separation of their families have the creation of the DMZ line!!
IMG_4400_zpstsznggae.jpg
IMG_4406_zpsg3ukh5wx.jpg
And then onto the final stop of the day, the Dorasan train station. A brand new station, built with the hope that one day the line to the North will reopen and the station will flourish. But lets face it, i seriously doubt that is ever going to happen in our lifetime, or as long as that nutcase Kim Jong Un is in power up there!!!
IMG_4417_zpsuurzrvg8.jpg
IMG_4420_zpsbetpwqio.jpg
IMG_4421_zpssrihhoih.jpg
IMG_4428_zpscwqx2saq.jpg
This guy followed us everywhere we went on the platform!
(Forgot to say, if you want to get onto the platform, you have to buy a train ticket. The cost for this is only 500 Won(30p))
IMG_4433_zpsxujs8y5e.jpg
IMG_4438_zpsh6d92srh.jpg
IMG_4440_zps7qcuj2xx.jpg
IMG_4446_zpsm6ckoexl.jpg
IMG_4453_zpspljjsza7.jpg
IMG_4458_zpsnvxppkbi.jpg

Guest firth1974

So, back to Seoul and to wrap up the trip to the DMZ, but first they took us to a Ginseng place first, its the usual hard sell for Korean Ginseng. Apparently you cant export this stuff out of Korea. Who knew!! The thing that surprised me about this place, the cost of the stuff. There were a couple of Americans (Actually from Guam, so what id their nationalilty?) buying this stuff by the box load, and being quoted the best part of $700 US dollars a box!! They bought 6 boxes.

We were dropped off at City hall at around 15.00 we i walked up to Namsan To catch the cable car up to the top of the hill and to Seoul Tower. Cost of return cable car ticket was 8,000 Won. You get some seriously good views from up here of the city, and its surprising to see just how BIG a city Seoul really is!!!
IMG_4463_zpsz8jp3ot0.jpg
IMG_4465_zps6xu5lubh.jpg
Its a serious true love kind of place up here, with all the love padlocks everywhere................................
IMG_4466_zpsp3nm0gtn.jpg
IMG_4467_zpsthe8kyqx.jpg
But the views are outstanding.............................
IMG_4469_zpso9luhy8b.jpg
IMG_4471_zpsxpfzguqi.jpg
IMG_4473_zpscebrslrq.jpg
IMG_4495_zpshbio7nrj.jpg
IMG_4498_zpsctqkuhun.jpg
IMG_4503_zpsuq6yldyz.jpg
IMG_4512_zpsstsgapdv.jpg
IMG_4549_zpse7mnlrze.jpg
No back at the hotel, and hoping to have an early(ish) night and get rewady for tomorrow, when i arrive in Tokyo, the capital of "The land of the rising sun".

Cheers Baz.

Well, im out of Korea tomorrow and into The Land of the rising Sun.

Great stuff mate, sorry you never made it to the border. By the way keep the train ticket, if ever they do start services to the north from Dorosan that ticket will get you there.