Latest News
  • *** Don't forget about this months friday 28th, drinks with vpi78 @ The Rock House on friday... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months friday 28th, drinks with vpi78 @ The Rock House on friday... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months friday 28th, drinks with vpi78 @ The Rock House on friday... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months friday 28th, drinks with vpi78 @ The Rock House on friday... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months friday 28th, drinks with vpi78 @ The Rock House on friday... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months friday 28th, drinks with vpi78 @ The Rock House on friday... it would be great to see you if your in town...!

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Rob Jones

Phnom Pen - 15 June 2015

The flight to Phnom Pen with Bangkok Airways from swampy was about B8000, I wasnt going to use Air Asia, so it could have been B10,000 and Id have still booked walking wasnt an option as the clock was ticking for me to sling my hook. The price includes use of their airport lounge offering complimentary drinks and cakes and aboard the modern aircraft, they provided booze and a good hot meal for the one hour flight.

You need a visa when you arrive so bring a passport photo with you. They give you the forms to fill in on departure, easy peasy, I think it was $30 and all done and dusted in 5 minutes.

To get into the town there are two options, an a/c taxi or a tuck tuck not expensive and its a fixed price, all vey legit, you get a token at the kiosk, I think about $12 for the taxi. Bring lots of low denomination notes as their currency is worse than the old Italian lire.

My hotel was $35 a night and was lovely. Lovely room lovely friendly staff, I booked the one night but then extended my stay in that area, it had a nice pool and a decent restaurant/bar, owned by a French guy so the food was top notch too.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293940-d4541454-Reviews-La_Librairie_Phnom_Penh-Phnom_Penh.html

A company that was recommended to me for the tourist visa was, purely by chance just down the road from where I stayed. Two month tourist visa is $65 they do the leg work, you need an outward bound flight to guarantee a 2 month stamp. I had to collect it in two days. To get the 60 day visa yourself you have to piss around with the Thai consulate and it will cost you $40

I copped off with a broke waitress the first night, she was a bit chubby but very chirpy and not bad in bed. She hung around in the morning and we went for lunch, nice Khmer noodles. Many eateries dont open until the evening, had a few glasses of wine, really great value I walked past a wine shop, had a nifty inside and bought a bottle of Nottage Hill Pinot Grigio to bring back for $11. I gave my companion $50 for er efforts and she seemed happy enough, you can see the French influence around the place, a lot of the business owners are frogs too. Its as hot and as sticky as Thailand, almost impossible to walk anywhere because of the shyte or non-existent pavements a hundred times worse than Pattaya

They drive on the RHS, so the chances of me getting run over quadrupled......

I met up with BM Peter Storm and his stunning little fiancée the next night, he is in sound form, looks well and as happy as a pig in muck, has even bought a gorgeous condo so he seems to have settled for a while.

The main bar area is on street 136 riverside, but if you blink on a tuck tuck you will miss it, I was surprised how small the area was, it was lively enough but according to a few of the girls I spoke to, it was very quiet. I got talking to a few expats all who have had it up to the teeth with Thai attitude and visa nonsense and have pastured new, all seem to be happy with their decisions. The strip was about half the size of soi cowboy but with fewer bars, but still seemed to have a nice feel about them, I had this pre conceived idea that it was going to be a bit more lawless, I imagined Id see 12 year olds running around with guns, Nope, nothing like that. There were quite a lot of foreign women drinking - the sort with tattoos and nose rings that might strip off and jump on a mountain in Malaysia if their mood swang. One told me she was playing the field, I politely smiled but thought it a strange thing to say, oddly enough, the next morning at the breakfast table, a 90KG women waltzed down with this young 20 year old Cambodian (see pic) .Peter left me around 01.00AM - about 20 minutes after the stunning freelancer, Miss Diamond reacquainted herself (I had met her earlier that night just walking about and gave her the RJ smile) Anyway she said $70 LT and I said Rob Jonesey is my name and shouldnt be your objective honey - Ill give you $60 because I am clean and have a nice room, she swallowed that line it wasnt the only thing she swallowed that nightgood fun was had. No checking smartphone or facebook and probably 8/10.

The whole place is Pattaya 30 years ago. Dirty dark roads, no pavements or traffic lights so difficult to get about on Shanks pony - an abundance of tuck tucks waiting to bring you anywhere, them bending over backwards to help, lots of beggars out and about, mainly children they were a bit more in your face than Pattaya. There are plenty of roadside stores selling stuff that the Thais would bin, second hand books; fan belts; eggs; brushes, you get my drift. I got lost one lunchtime walking about and ended up in a seedy quiet area and a couple of pimps appeared on a tuck tuck offering me underage girls and drugs, I laughed and said no thanks they just moved on, no more hassle from them. I cant help but think there is underbelly of this going on here.

Contrast to the poverty, there are Mercs, Lexus and BMW dealers in abundance one selling Rolls Royces. And plenty of Range Rovers. Property is relatively expensive too. I didnt see any big a/c shopping malls or Starbucks et el although they had a KFC and an equivalent of our 7-11 aptly called SMILE.

There is not a great deal to do in the day time.

The girls in the bars have better attitudes than their Thai sisters, no pressure to buy them drinks immediately and all seemed grateful when I did offer and no lolly water, not that that really bothers me. I like the draft beer, its called Angkor and at $1.5, all the bars have it. The language barrier is more a problem here, small talk not so easy, they are not as refined with the standard, who, where, why when questions as the Thai bar girls, so it more of the touchy feely experience, plenty of neck massages and very few smartphones, my fave bar was Xanadu, some nice totty but not as pretty as Thais. Not pushy about going with you either, desperate but with dignity is how Id describe them.

I really like the bars.

My final night was back at Zanadu - at the riverside, even more enjoyable than the night before, great trance type funky music and a decent volume, loads of attention and just a fantastic vibe, just sitting there sipping great booze and getting touched up by a couple of half decent Cambodians is good for the soul. My old mate Peter Storm phoned me and popped in 30 mins later for a few and I just thought to myself, I could live herein fact if I had visited the place 5 years ago, I would have up sticks and moved over there. There is something nicer or more genuine about the girls, without harping on, just like Pattaya 30 years ago zzzzzzzz....As poor a country as it is, there is a bit more class about it than Thailand. No stripped off young yobs on steroids with the token plastic bottle of water or Indians or brash Russians. Everyone is so polite, taxi drivers smiling and laughing and dead grateful for your money. I would walk out of a bar and someone would gently tap me on the shoulder and quietly ask if I needed a lift.

There are very few lady boys, I saw two.

And no tattoos on the women

I took a girl from Zanadu short time back to my hotel, $5 bar fine and $50 for her, absolute GFE, she could barely speak a word of English but it was still a nice night, no drama, I swear she had a 10 year old Nokia that didnt bleep once. She wouldnt do LT because she has a daughter to look after (according to her mate) but was in no hurry leaving, again quite a contrast with many Thais. Im beginning to think that I have become a hansum man again

I think thats about it.

Overall, I loved the people and the bar area and I wish I was staying a few more nights.

post-3232-0-39947800-1434614063_thumb.jp

post-3232-0-53720100-1434614089_thumb.jp

post-3232-0-58085300-1434614128_thumb.jp

post-3232-0-37095600-1434614156_thumb.jp

post-3232-0-04182800-1434614181_thumb.jp

post-3232-0-43766800-1434614222_thumb.jp

post-3232-0-52391900-1434614250_thumb.jp

post-3232-0-72734300-1434614279_thumb.jp

post-3232-0-90512900-1434614323_thumb.jp

Good report mate. As I've said many times, if it goes tits up here Cambodia would be a place I'd consider switching to. Your report bolsters that impression.

Good report mate. As I've said many times, if it goes tits up here Cambodia would be a place I'd consider switching to. Your report bolsters that impression.

I don't think Lady M would like it long term there.

neither would I .

Nice report RJ. $50 seems a bit steep for the girls though.

There is a club there called 69 - the busiest on the strip and the girls are asking $100............

There is a club there called 69 - the busiest on the strip and the girls are asking $100............

Girls in Insomnia are a bargain then, since they only ask for 3000 baht. :D

We've chatted about this before, and I'm aware of the prejudice by the Khmers against the Thais and vice-versa. Hopefully it doesn't come down to making that decision.

We've chatted about this before, and I'm aware of the prejudice by the Khmers against the Thais and vice-versa. Hopefully it doesn't come down to making that decision.

Not just prejudice Thais miss everything Thai. Even though it's just across the border, Cambodia is night as to what day is in comparison. She's a sociable person and wouldn't fit in there, long term anyway.

In saying that there are Thais there, but many of them go back and forward.

the girls seem a tad expensive....there must be cheaper deals than that quoted.

They are taking the piss at these prices in Cambodia. Was $10 for a viet when I was there or all night $20 for a Khmer.

Thanks for posting Mr Jones...

some good info there, intact when i was looking at doing my visa I'm sure i was looking at booking the same hotel.

On my way to the airport I passed another Rolls Royce garage. And 200m from the airport is a new Porsche outlet. I must have seen 4 or 5 Lexus showrooms

the girls seem a tad expensive....there must be cheaper deals than that quoted.

I got chatting to a Brit on my way out to PP and then bumped into him in a bar, now he visits the place 3 times a year and mentioned this ST bar and quoted $30

I'd be interested to hear what others have paid

Good report RJ, must be about 15 years since I've been there, sounds like it's not changed much, which is refreshing.

Wouldn't suit me for living but still sounds good for a visa run.