Latest News
  • *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on Friday... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on Friday... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on Friday... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on Friday... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on Friday... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on Friday... it would be great to see you if your in town...!

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
biglad

Money for Japan

I'm going to Japan at the end of Sept for a conference. Today I bumped into the nurse who I generally have a thoughty after I met her, and I know from her Facebook that she has just spent a week in Japan. Some useless info there,but she was looking hot today, whereas I looked like a slob.

Anyway, she was telling me that the best way to get money in Japan is to use your ATM, not cash, she said the exchange rate is much better. I thought this strange because usually, well in LOS anyway, if you bring your own currency you get more Bhat than you would at home. Not so it seems in Japan. So I did a bit of Googling and it seems that is in fact the case, cash is not king, card is! I BTW have a Citibank card which is great overseas as it doesn't charge fees like many do, except local fees where applicable.

So the question  have for my fellow BMs is what experience do you have of cash vs card in Japan?

Cheers. 

1 hour ago, biglad said:

I'm going to Japan at the end of Sept for a conference. Today I bumped into the nurse who I generally have a thoughty after I met her, and I know from her Facebook that she has just spent a week in Japan. Some useless info there,but she was looking hot today, whereas I looked like a slob.

Anyway, she was telling me that the best way to get money in Japan is to use your ATM, not cash, she said the exchange rate is much better. I thought this strange because usually, well in LOS anyway, if you bring your own currency you get more Bhat than you would at home. Not so it seems in Japan. So I did a bit of Googling and it seems that is in fact the case, cash is not king, card is! I BTW have a Citibank card which is great overseas as it doesn't charge fees like many do, except local fees where applicable.

So the question  have for my fellow BMs is what experience do you have of cash vs card in Japan?

Cheers. 

Cash via ATM is how i always go.

I take it this will be your first trip to Japan. I think as a man of many and varied interests you will love the place. One of the most diverse places i have ever been. 

How much of the place will you get a chance to see? Try and do Sapporo as a good example of the diversity when comparing with Tokyo.

I think onsens and japanese single malts were perfected with guys like you in mind! Enjoy.

2 hours ago, biglad said:

Anyway, she was telling me that the best way to get money in Japan is to use your ATM, not cash, she said the exchange rate is much better.  I thought this strange because usually, well in LOS anyway, if you bring your own currency you get more Bhat than you would at home.  I thought this strange because usually, well in LOS anyway, if you bring your own currency you get more Bhat than you would at home.

You're mixing up the comparisons.

She said ATM in Japan v changing cash in Japan.

You compare cash changed in Japan v cash changed at home.

You're both right, and if you have the right ATM card, she's describing the better deal (same as in Thailand).  However, I don't believe there are as good bank products available  in Australia as elsewhere for this, so you might be struggling (but she might have one so ask her).  Also bear in mind what firth1974 has posted above.

Edited by kwa

Thanks all for the replies. Unfortunately I am only spending a week there at Yokohama, but probably a weekend trip to Tokyo. MY plan was to get the family out but they are still Philippines passport holders and there are too many hoops to jump through to get them in there for a holiday, so I'll do the conference and offski. If I like it I can return when they have their Aussie passports, which will hopefully be next year. 

Firth, unfortunately where I live I am a bit isolated. Moscow is closer to London than I am to a major city so for foreign currency I have the bank, the post office or money changers, all of which give shite rates. I did find a Citibank in Yokohama near where I am staying so no doubt I will get currency from there.

I am quite surprised that Japan is a cash society, compare that to Singapore or Australia. I would be lucky to have more than a dollar on me in cash at any one time, and that would be unintentional. Strange, I would have thought with their technology they'd be cashless, just goes to show, but thanks for the advice. I'll probably get some cash in Singapore en route.

Cheers. 

Japan was one of th very few Asian countries I did not know till 2 years ago.

Really got hooked on the place, lucky I am not 35 anymore..

It being a business trip, cash was not a problem...

And having a HK colleague speaking fluently Japanese was a plus in the bars...

Take cash.As said ATMS are a nightmare.Some even stop chucking out cash at 5pm on a Friday and start again 8am mondayYokahama is nice but quiet.Good chinatown area from memory.you flying into Hanada I hope.

1 hour ago, firth1974 said:

Get yourself up to Shibuya or Shinjuku for the weekend, you wont regret it at all!

I'm with 2 female colleagues, I take it it's best if I ditch them to go shopping while I visit these places? 

6 hours ago, biglad said:

I'm with 2 female colleagues, I take it it's best if I ditch them to go shopping while I visit these places? 

Not necessarily, they are good nightlife places generally. I would swerve any girly stuff, you won't be welcome in a lot of places anyway and it will burn a serious hole in your pocket it you are....