Latest News
  • *** Don't forget about this months friday 28th, drinks with vpi78 @ The Rock House on friday... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months friday 28th, drinks with vpi78 @ The Rock House on friday... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months friday 28th, drinks with vpi78 @ The Rock House on friday... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months friday 28th, drinks with vpi78 @ The Rock House on friday... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months friday 28th, drinks with vpi78 @ The Rock House on friday... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months friday 28th, drinks with vpi78 @ The Rock House on friday... it would be great to see you if your in town...!

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
scotty

Recommendations for a pool company

Does anyone have any recommendations for a pool construction company ?

Also any recommendations on pool types, or what to avoid, i.e. chlorine or salt water type, normal or infinity overflow type, best type of grout to use etc.

I know lanzalad is well up on this and kinda hoping he he can give some info but appreciate he has other priorites at the moment, but welcome comments from anyone.

if you need any help give me a shout. i'll could go thru the basics with you once i get some idea in what you want..

30 minutes ago, lanzalad said:

if you need any help give me a shout. i'll could go thru the basics with you once i get some idea in what you want..

Much appreciated.

Basically a home pool, fairly light use, not for very young kids (no kiddie pool or section required).

Size will be about 10m x 4m, no jacuzzi or anything fancy.

Not sure of any advantages/disadvantages of rectangular v's free form shape.

Looking for low maintenace as i would like to take care of it myself (or my Mrs) for most of the basic stuff.

Something along those lines is the plan. I get back on the 20th so will plan it from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having a swimming pool is always going to be a bit of a compromise from what you want and to what looks the part as its two different factors.

There’s mainly two kinds of swimming pools which you would work both of the above factors into it.

One is for swimming, when i say swimming this means building a pool so you are able to swim up and down it and anything less is a plunge pool, the good thing about a plunge pool is its very low maintenance and less chemical usage, which is less cost.

So unless you go for a pool that will let you swim decent lengths then I would consider just a plunge pool.

This kind of pool will look better and you will get more use out of it.

If you was going to have a pool in Europe I would suggest a rectangle as you would need a cover to keep the heat in and reduce the evaporation but your in Thailand with high humidity and warm air all year round which will allow you to build a free form pool.

Here's a shot of a free form pool...

Swimming-Pool-Designs-003.jpg

I think this is far the better choice for here in Thailand as you can see by the photo it fits in well with having BBQ spending time around the pool relaxing and yes i would install venture jets in the spa section which is very little cost but will give you a very good result.

also this pool has very good access using half moon step entrances.

Heres a rectangle

modern-architecture-design-swimming-pool-ideas-modern-pool-landscaping-designs-contemporary-swimming-pool-designs-swimming-pool-photo-contemporary-pool-design-swimming-pool-ideas.jpg

I wouldn't have this kind of pool here in Thailand as this is build to cover and made to close off and thats the reason why you would use a rectangle.

Here's one with a cover:-

Rollup-Station-Pool-Cover.jpg

You can see why this kind of pool is used in Europe..

Chemical.

Water balance

This has to be the most inportenent part of keeping up to your pool, you would still need to balance the pH in what ever you use and this is the most important of all..

pH is in everything from metal to rocks and water now the main let down is no one here seams to care what the pH is until the grout falls out and your ladders rust.

If the water is low or high on the pH scale it will take the pH out of the pool materials i.e. grout tiles metals and fittings.

A good ph is 7'2 to 7.6 and lets say your pH is 0.0 this means what ever you use to sanitise the water will work less that 10%

So if you keep you pH at 7.4 and you will use very little Chemicals to keep a good pool...

Sanitise the water.

I've use a salt water chlorinator from zodiac

Here's one:-

saltwater_chlorinator_large.jpg

This model will work well up to 50 cubic meters and i installed two units to run on that pool i did at the start of the year.

You could get a glass of pool water once the salt has dissolved and taste it and you wouldn't even know salt was in the water and compared to sea water at  3.5%

This is set from 3500 to 4000 part per 1,000.000 depends on the sun and heat.

Here's two running side by side i installed:-

20160216_145713.jpg

If you need any help at all let me know.

Having a swimming pool is always going to be a bit of a compromise from what you want and to what looks the part as its two different factors.

There’s mainly two kinds of swimming pools which you would work both of the above factors into it.

One is for swimming, when i say swimming this means building a pool so you are able to swim up and down it and anything less is a plunge pool, the good thing about a plunge pool is its very low maintenance and less chemical usage, which is less cost.

So unless you go for a pool that will let you swim decent lengths then I would consider just a plunge pool.

This kind of pool will look better and you will get more use out of it.

If you was going to have a pool in Europe I would suggest a rectangle as you would need a cover to keep the heat in and reduce the evaporation but your in Thailand with high humidity and warm air all year round which will allow you to build a free form pool.

Here's a shot of a free form pool...

Swimming-Pool-Designs-003.jpg

I think this is far the better choice for here in Thailand as you can see by the photo it fits in well with having BBQ spending time around the pool relaxing and yes i would install venture jets in the spa section which is very little cost but will give you a very good result.

also this pool has very good access using half moon step entrances.

Heres a rectangle

modern-architecture-design-swimming-pool-ideas-modern-pool-landscaping-designs-contemporary-swimming-pool-designs-swimming-pool-photo-contemporary-pool-design-swimming-pool-ideas.jpg

I wouldn't have this kind of pool here in Thailand as this is build to cover and made to close off and thats the reason why you would use a rectangle.

Here's one with a cover:-

Rollup-Station-Pool-Cover.jpg

You can see why this kind of pool is used in Europe..

Chemical.

Water balance

This has to be the most inportenent part of keeping up to your pool, you would still need to balance the pH in what ever you use and this is the most important of all..

pH is in everything from metal to rocks and water now the main let down is no one here seams to care what the pH is until the grout falls out and your ladders rust.

If the water is low or high on the pH scale it will take the pH out of the pool materials i.e. grout tiles metals and fittings.

A good ph is 7'2 to 7.6 and lets say your pH is 0.0 this means what ever you use to sanitise the water will work less that 10%

So if you keep you pH at 7.4 and you will use very little Chemicals to keep a good pool...

Sanitise the water.

I've use a salt water chlorinator from zodiac

Here's one:-

saltwater_chlorinator_large.jpg

This model will work well up to 50 cubic meters and i installed two units to run on that pool i did at the start of the year.

You could get a glass of pool water once the salt has dissolved and taste it and you wouldn't even know salt was in the water and compared to sea water at  3.5%

This is set from 3500 to 4000 part per 1,000.000 depends on the sun and heat.

Here's two running side by side i installed:-

20160216_145713.jpg

If you need any help at all let me know.

Obviously a man who knows what he is talking about.

All good points, much appreciated Lanza.

When I get home I'll post some drawings showing the available space I have etc, also appreciate this is a busy time for you so no worries if you have other stuff on.

33 minutes ago, scotty said:

Obviously a man who knows what he is talking about.

All good points, much appreciated Lanza.

When I get home I'll post some drawings showing the available space I have etc, also appreciate this is a busy time for you so no worries if you have other stuff on.

Happy to help mate... 

Infant i really enjoy this part of the job bringing a idea to a build...

Yes please post photos from all corners of the garden and a garden plan and i'll work a few idea's out for you .. then i'll do a filtration plan and calculations for you.

Two factors you need to account for is electric supply, where from..?

Backwash to the main drain..?

My findings here with pool companies is which one to use out of a bad bunch..

If you blag a bit and make them feel you know about what you want and how you want it they'll not mess you around... well that doesn't mean they'll not try to lighten your pocket..

The good thing about it you can back work everything as pool product are mainly a set price world wide as long as your using branded products

I'd be interested in knowing what Lanzalad thinks of Dejoyaux's bolt on pool management systems. 

Can't imagine they are the cheapest but my mate had a pool built by them eight years ago and everything seems to have run maintenance free since. The lad who looks after the pool has the educational level of a ten year old so it certainly isn't rocket science. 

10 hours ago, thinkingallowed said:

I'd be interested in knowing what Lanzalad thinks of Dejoyaux's bolt on pool management systems. 

Can't imagine they are the cheapest but my mate had a pool built by them eight years ago and everything seems to have run maintenance free since. The lad who looks after the pool has the educational level of a ten year old so it certainly isn't rocket science. 

In the trade they are not rated at all we call them a “sock in a box” as the water is pushed thru a large sock type filter, they don’t do what you are told they do and are often sold as a money saver but the builder will have a better profit margin if he installs the “sock in a box” unit.

There no pipe work needed and no pool fittings plus no pool house.... who saves in the end the builder..

All the consonants are cheap and very often are not inter changeable and don’t last too long.

Now lets say you have pool 3 x 6 here a side view of the pool and a top view and both show you why you don’t use them.

Side View

Screenshot at Jul 17 13-29-43 copy.png

Top View

Screenshot at Jul 17 13-29-43.png

X marks the void of water flow...

The X areas will be susceptible to algicide due to lack of water rotation...

Here's a few i found on the net and they all work in the same why:-

Screenshot at Jul 17 13-38-40.png

Screenshot at Jul 17 13-39-11.png

Now that last shot has an electoral box 220v to 240v right next to the pool which in my book is a big no no..

All mains as a standard should be at least 2.50 away from the pool edge so no one can reach them while in the water.

- - - - - -

Here's a pool going thru a refit after using a "sock in a box" system and converting to a proper filtration system:-

Its a costly mistake many make:-

13516188_1632230710437774_8863910813592269125_n.jpg

13516563_1632230690437776_8808434086482151000_n.jpg

13537731_1632230697104442_3836085317131924875_n.jpg

New skimmers, jets, vac point and sump then fully re-fibreglass the whole pool...

33 minutes ago, lanzalad said:

In the trade they are not rated at all we call them a “sock in a box” as the water is pushed thru a large sock type filter, they don’t do what you are told they do and are often sold as a money saver but the builder will have a better profit margin if he installs the “sock in a box” unit.

There no pipe work needed and no pool fittings plus no pool house.... who saves in the end the builder..

All the consonants are cheap and very often are not inter changeable and don’t last too long.

Now lets say you have pool 3 x 6 here a side view of the pool and a top view and both show you why you don’t use them.

Side View

Screenshot at Jul 17 13-29-43 copy.png

Top View

Screenshot at Jul 17 13-29-43.png

X marks the void of water flow...

The X areas will be susceptible to algicide due to lack of water rotation...

Here's a few i found on the net and they all work in the same why:-

Screenshot at Jul 17 13-38-40.png

Screenshot at Jul 17 13-39-11.png

Now that last shot has an electoral box 220v to 240v right next to the pool which in my book is a big no no..

All mains as a standard should be at least 2.50 away from the pool edge so no one can reach them while in the water.

- - - - - -

Here's a pool going thru a refit after using a "sock in a box" system and converting to a proper filtration system:-

Its a costly mistake many make:-

13516188_1632230710437774_8863910813592269125_n.jpg

13516563_1632230690437776_8808434086482151000_n.jpg

13537731_1632230697104442_3836085317131924875_n.jpg

New skimmers, jets, vac point and sump then fully re-fibreglass the whole pool...

Cheers for that, very interesting. 

Desjoyaux did a good job of putting his pool in with two "sock in a box" things on opposite sides of the pool. He was extremely happy when they put the West Ham badge on the bottom of the pool. 

I'm guessing that a resort pool that is well used every day has less problems with areas of stagnant water as the people are keeping the water moving. 

The only negative thing I've seen with it to date is the steps they supplied didn't last long but that was just the rusting of the studding used to anchor them down.

Agree with the comments re 240v and distance from water.