Latest News
  • The Latest News
  • The lottery
  • Good news for all the lottery syndicate players - - - Yet again the luckydip tickets wins....

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

som nam na

Fray Bentos Pies

Used to love Fray Bentos but just don't seem to be as good as I remember back as a kid. Seem to have more suet/pastry and less meat. I have decided there are better options in purchasing decent meat pies and puddings.

Case in question is the steak and kidney pudding at the Rockhouse. If I could buy a pie like that I would have no need to purchase a Fray Bentos pie again.

Now if they (FP pies) were 100 baht it would still be worthwhile but not at 189 baht or the higher prices I have seen.

Got a steak one a few weeks ago in the Deli in Ban Chang, think it was 250 baht.

I was looking after the kids and thought it would be easy just to cook that and some mashed tatties, told them how good they were and how I loved them as a kid.

Basically it was crap, all puff pastry and hardly any meat, and that was crap quality. 

The kids said it was rubbish, don't get them again.

I guess it's either rose tinted memories from childhood or they have gone down in quality drastically.

14 minutes ago, scotty said:

guess it's either rose tinted memories from childhood or they have gone down in quality drastically.

Often wonder about stuff like this.

Were Wagon Wheels really massive when we was nippers?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, thinkingallowed said:

Often wonder about stuff like this.

Were Wagon Wheels really massive when we was nippers?

Yes they were, Mars bars, Snickers (Marathon) to name a few are all smaller than they used to be.

15 hours ago, som nam na said:

Just seen these in Big C

100% mark up from supermarket prices in the UK.  Nice little earner for someone.

11 hours ago, kwa said:

100% mark up from supermarket prices in the UK.  Nice little earner for someone.

1,99 = approx 90 B

Transportation (packing, trucking to UK port, seafreight to BKK, then trucking to dealer, assuming there is no whole saler in the middle) say 10 B

Now 100 .  Import duty varies from 20 to 80% , say 30% to be conservative.

Now 130 B  + VAT 7%  = 139 B

Retailer (Big C) margin between 30% and 50% , say 40% = 55 B

Sales price = 195 B

Maybe not perfectly correct but the price seems logical to be.

13 hours ago, kwa said:

Not so much mark up when you consider freight from the UK and possibly import tax.

I think the nostalgia effect allows some people to buy the product. When it was first introduced here I was a fan but that feeling soon wore off as the price sailed higher. I even brought a few in from the UK but weight soon stopped that practice.

For me it isn't the same product that I relished as a kid, I even find that being in the UK I still probably now wouldn't buy it at £1.99, maybe only when it is on sale at £1.

I certainly see no benefit, no need, to pay over £4 and usually higher in Thailand whatever the logistics, the reasons, are based on in setting such a high price for the product

11 hours ago, thai spice said:

1,99 = approx 90 B

Transportation (packing, trucking to UK port, seafreight to BKK, then trucking to dealer, assuming there is no whole saler in the middle) say 10 B

Now 100 .  Import duty varies from 20 to 80% , say 30% to be conservative.

Now 130 B  + VAT 7%  = 139 B

Retailer (Big C) margin between 30% and 50% , say 40% = 55 B

Sales price = 195 B

Maybe not perfectly correct but the price seems logical to be.

£1.99 is recommended retail selling price in the UK, hence it's marked on the tin.  Buying price for the trade will be something in the region of £1.40.

Add that 30 baht uplift onto your 55 baht margin and they'd make 85 baht on every tin.  Even with the costs as listed, that's > 100% profit on the wholesale price, if not the supermarket price.

6 minutes ago, LatinLover said:

Dog food in a tin, fecking rancid shite. Was rancid in the 70's and still rancid now.

Harsh but fair.

39 minutes ago, LatinLover said:

Dog food in a tin, fecking rancid shite. Was rancid in the 70's and still rancid now.

In the sixties and before, suet was a big factor in padding out pies. Food shortage and all that. Cheaper to continue on into the seventies. Post Brexit will see these return:)

44 minutes ago, LatinLover said:

Never tried one, but I struggle to understand how you can put any kind of product that has a crust in a tin can and expect it to be anything else but rancid. Reading reviews though and some folks rave about how good they are. There's one store in town that sells them, maybe I'll give one a try. 

4 hours ago, LatinLover said:

Agreed, F***ing horrible.

My Mum used to say that certain foods were "junk" or tinned rubbish and they fall into this category.

I was given about 10 of them a few years ago in Pattaya and from memory the only bit I liked was the pastry on top when cooked nice and flaky.

Fed the rest to the dogs.

:)

3 hours ago, davethailand said:

Agreed, F***ing horrible.

My Mum used to say that certain foods were "junk" or tinned rubbish and they fall into this category.

I was given about 10 of them a few years ago in Pattaya and from memory the only bit I liked was the pastry on top when cooked nice and flaky.

Fed the rest to the dogs.

same same, My mum wouldnt entertain them either, but she was quite happy to make spam sandwiches which we hated.

as a late teenager/20s I became addicted to them tho, and still like one in a while.  a whole one per person of course and yes the pastry is the best part

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 10:00 PM, Murchie said:

Yes they were, Mars bars, Snickers (Marathon) to name a few are all smaller than they used to be.

Perhaps its just that our hands have grown since childhood.......My todger looks tiny too..!!!

9 hours ago, davethailand said:

I was given about 10 of them a few years ago in Pattaya . . . .

They were always what an expat mate of mine asked to be brought over from the UK when I travelled.  Until last year, there wasn't a trip when I never had some Fray Bentos in my case.  Fortunately he's grown out of them now.

6 hours ago, Tiny Todger said:

Perhaps its just that our hands have grown since childhood.......My todger looks tiny too..!!!

I thought that was the reason also but sadly no.

it is tiny.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.