Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
CampariO

Yangon – Myanmar: 5 days 4 nights

Back in Thailand at Don Muangs immigration, there were 10 immigration officers checking the passports in the foreigner section.

There was a queue of 30 people for each officer, had to wait 50 minutes. The Chinese had their own queues.

Some maps for better orientation:

26614616ng.jpg

This was the plan for the second day, but we visited Shwedagon and the park on the first day already and the rest on day 3, left out the Nga Htat Gyi Pagoda.

26614637pa.jpg

This was day 2:

26614672yz.jpg

Total expenses in Baht:

Air ticket 2200 each

Hotel 1 suite room 6030, 1 regular room 5500

Travel insurance for Thais: 250 p.p.

E-visa fee 1750 (official government website, might be cheaper using other agents)

Food for 3 persons 5300

Entrance fees and taxi for 3 persons 4620

Parking at airport 1250

Tollway, gasoline =410 + 500 = 910

Compared to Phnom Penh, Hanoi or Vientiane with their bars, restaurants and river fronts, Yangon has little to offer.

Maybe there is a nice river front, I haven’t seen it. Restaurants are spread apart. Found a couple of bars with life music on the net.

There are some night places where you can pick up girls, like JJ Entertainment, but they were not on our list.

I doubt I could live there for long.

Mandalay is supposed to be more beautiful, it is on my to-do list. I doubt I will visit Yangon again, but somehow I am glad that I did.

I didn’t see any plastic noses or boobs, no hot pants, few sky scrapers, no snooker places, no drunks. Few people were drinking alcohol, several shops didn’t sell any beer or liquor.

I saw only two ladyboys, few Russians or western tourists.

What I saw were friendly and helpful people, women in their beautiful traditional clothes with long hair.

I hope it will stay this way for a long time.

Thank you for reading my report.

26611906si.jpg

33 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

this is an amazing series thanks.  i noticed what seems to be garbage, by the ton, outside your bedroom window all over the courtyard, is it garbage?  is it a dirty place, away fro the tourist attractions?    

you've done us proud Herr Flick :)

It was garbage. Didn't see any other places that were littered like this, but Yangon has a garbage problem, especially in the small side streets and I read that the streets in suburbs are full with garbage as well. Thailand looks much cleaner.

The hotel was not far away from the main Pagoda (Shwedagon) as you can see in the maps I posted. The main roads were much cleaner in general.

Cheers for the flowers.

1 minute ago, CampariO said:

It was garbage. Didn't see any other places that were littered like this, but Yangon has a garbage problem, especially in the small side streets and I read that the streets in suburbs are full with garbage as well. Thailand looks much cleaner.

The hotel was not far away from the main Pagoda (Shwedagon) as you can see in the maps I posted. The main roads were much cleaner in general.

Cheers for the flowers.

they werent for you, the flowers, they were for Frau Flick.  she is just scared to tell u that

Nice one mate, I was there about 3 years ago, just before tourism started to kick in again.

You did well to survive 5 days in Yangon, probably the least interesting place on the standard tourist trail there, a couple of days was enough for me.

Next time I recommend Inle lake or Bagan as ports of call. Mandalay is ok, there isn't much in Mandalay itself, most of the attractions are outside of the city, probably a couple of days worth.

Did you get any of the sh1t government spies coming up to you at the tourist attractions befriending you before the inevitable question of what your job was lol? Worst spies I've ever seen.....

i really enjoyed the place, probably the friendliest country I've ever been to, would deffo go back again. If you do go back hit me up and I'll give you a bit more info...

I have good memories from Myanmar

Worked in the mid 90's on the Sofitel project in Yangon for a few months. We (4 expats) were lodged in a small guesthouse, lovely people.

At work we had a few secretaries, one was really lovely and perfect English, would not have minded to spend time together. But in those days, for a local girl to be seen with a foreigner was a NO NO, guaranty trouble for her.

In those days, no video shops to be found, fax machine was not allowed as it was considered as an "illegal propaganda machine".  Took us a lot of paperwork and "bonuses" to be allowed to use ours.

Next project was for an infamous gas pipe project between Myanmar and Thailand. Middle of the jungle, on the top of the mountains. A bit different atmosphere as it was in a "guerrilla" zone, but a nice experience.

All the Myanmar people I worked with were lovely people. Some had interesting stories to tell. One of our engineers was living in Thailand, and of course was send to that project.

As he did not have the proper travel documents, his trip was a real adventure. Bus in LOS to near the border, crossing the border in the middle of nowhere and then 3 days walking to get to the site. Did not want to get on a bus because the multiple army checkpoints.  Great guy, and great professional.

6 hours ago, aw1 said:

Did you get any of the sh1t government spies coming up to you at the tourist attractions befriending you before the inevitable question of what your job was lol? Worst spies I've ever seen.....

Thanks to all for the positive comments. 

The only people that came up to us wanted to help when we were looking for directions on the map, girls wanting to take pictures or kid monks to beg for money that they like to spent on some food in KFC.

2 hours ago, biglad said:

Thanks very much for the excellent TR, just what the board needs. 

Yes agreed great report, always nice to see guys use their time in a positive way ..:laugh::laugh::laugh:

6 hours ago, Buckfast said:

Nice report boss

Pocari sweat is a rehydration drink from Japan also sold in Taiwan and in SE Asia.

Sold in every 7/11 here in HKG and my favorite drink when hangover.....

Nice colourful picture report. I stayed  week in Yangon last year at Park Royal. Walking distance to most places. Had a great Chinese restaurant on 2nd floor, with some local dishes too, and the bar had a happy hour from 6-9pm. Wine was cheap there. In the basement was a large nightclub with "friendly" ladies )) Yangon has not been tainted yet like Thailand by tourism and too many foreigners, but there is a lot of construction in evidence.

Guest Hammerin Hank
On 8/27/2016 at 1:46 AM, STARGAZER said:

Awesome stuff Compario....a breath of fresh air from the normal drone here!

Thank You!

Yes, agree 100%!

Really good TR and very informative. Looks an interesting place to explore.

Thanks for taking the time to show us.

On 08/08/2017 at 7:54 AM, Buckfast said:

Anyone heard from campario he hasn't logged in since January 1

Hope he is ok, good lad he is... dry wit whether posting or IRL , don't ask him for directions though,,

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this