Latest News
  • Forum Donations:-
  • 15-12-2017- G

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
Andrew19

UEFA Champions League 2016/2017

GROUP A

ParisParis(FRA)
ArsenalArsenal(ENG)
BaselBasel(SUI)
LudogoretsLudogorets(BUL)

GROUP B

BenficaBenfica(POR)
NapoliNapoli(ITA)
Dynamo KyivDynamo Kyiv(UKR)
BeşiktaşBeşiktaş(TUR)

GROUP C

BarcelonaBarcelona(ESP)
Man. CityMan. City(ENG)
MönchengladbachMönchengladbach(GER)
CelticCeltic(SCO)

GROUP D

BayernBayern(GER)
AtléticoAtlético(ESP)
PSVPSV(NED)
RostovRostov(RUS)

GROUP E

CSKA MoskvaCSKA Moskva(RUS)
LeverkusenLeverkusen(GER)
TottenhamTottenham(ENG)
MonacoMonaco(FRA)

GROUP F

Real MadridReal Madrid(ESP)
DortmundDortmund(GER)
Sporting CPSporting CP(POR)
LegiaLegia(POL)

GROUP G

LeicesterLeicester(ENG)
PortoPorto(POR)
Club BruggeClub Brugge(BEL)
KøbenhavnKøbenhavn(DEN)

GROUP H

JuventusJuventus(ITA)
SevillaSevilla(ESP)
LyonLyon(FRA)
Dinamo ZagrebDinamo Zagreb(CRO)

Group A, Arsenal and PSG will get to qualify, Basel shouldn't be underestimated though.

Group B, most of the teams are roughly at the same level here, hard to make any prediction, but Besiktas and Napoli would be my pick.

Group C All Barcelona and Citeh have to do is to turn up.

Group D Rostov got to qualify after 2 qualifying rounds even though they were the underdogs but it's the end of the line for them. Bayern and Atletico will get to qualify.

Group E That's the hardest group to be in, Bayer have the quality to qualify, Monaco is likely to get the 2nd spot.

Group F Real and Dortmund, the rest are there to make up the numbers

Group G Porto & Leicester are way better than the rest of the group.

Group H Juventus topping the group, Sevilla at second place so they will miss out on the Europa League this year. 

• Like 1

A good summary and analysis Andrew19. I always like reading your comments on footy. Hope you are correct about Group C.

as a celtic fan i think we got the worst possible group to be in .

would have liked to have got group b or group g .

17 minutes ago, mulphy said:

as a celtic fan i think we got the worst possible group to be in .

would have liked to have got group b or group g .

Well I think it's a great draw 6 massive games , there are some decent but ' small ' teams in the draw, each of these games is a chance to make history , City the least pedigree but a giant now with the money poured in..

Only 2 Italian teams  none  from Milan , no Chelsea no United.. Not many glamour teams when you look across draw....

With the seeding it's a poor event these days until last 8 , no pressure on Celtic so they could have a few decent games.

how does leicester city get in pot 1 when it has the lowest co efficent rating ff all the 32 teams left in the tournament ?

2 minutes ago, mulphy said:

how does leicester city get in pot 1 when it has the lowest co efficent rating ff all the 32 teams left in the tournament ?

Possibly that the EPL champions get into pot 1 automatically ?? I was surprised about it myself.

9 hours ago, Andrew19 said:

Group E That's the hardest group to be in, Bayer have the quality to qualify, Monaco is likely to get the 2nd spot.

That's about the only one I'd disagree with you, I reckon if Spurs play like they can then they'll go through along with Leverkusen.

1 hour ago, Bubblegum said:

Possibly that the EPL champions get into pot 1 automatically ?? I was surprised about it myself.

yes i guess the countries co officient rating must get used instead of the clubs co efficient rating .

First of all I'm delighted we got there. Champions League...that gives us real prestige and options regarding player signings.

Tough group no doubt but a full Celtic park,on a Euro night,supporters at full voice...anything can happen and you know it.

Of course we would have preferred Leicester City's group...but we go with what we are given.

Bring it on.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Buckfast said:

Can you put £2 on Celtic to win for me? I'll pay you next month boss

Ok boss Celtic are around 500-1 to win the Champions league that means if you stake £2.

You will lose £2 :)

Spoiler
Spoiler

• Like 2

Just reading that the top four from England, Germany, Italy and Spain are guaranteed a place in the CL group stages as of 2018, plus the winners of the EL will get a place, leaving only 15 places up for grabs for the rest. Absolutely disgraceful and a sure sign that UEFA are only interested in keeping the big clubs happy. 

As for Celtics group, bring it on we have nothing to lose, as Al said Celtic Park with a full house, anything is possible as Celtic have proved in the past. 

2 hours ago, Murchie said:

Just reading that the top four from England, Germany, Italy and Spain are guaranteed a place in the CL group stages as of 2018, plus the winners of the EL will get a place, leaving only 15 places up for grabs for the rest. Absolutely disgraceful and a sure sign that UEFA are only interested in keeping the big clubs happy. 

As for Celtics group, bring it on we have nothing to lose, as Al said Celtic Park with a full house, anything is possible as Celtic have proved in the past. 

Well apart from PSG, Porto and maybe a second French team the rest of the teams are there to make up the numbers. You have 4 teams from England, Spain and Germany now. Italy got only 2 teams because Roma failed to qualify. When was the last time a team from any other country made it to the semis?

11 hours ago, Parky said:

Well I think it's a great draw 6 massive games , there are some decent but ' small ' teams in the draw, each of these games is a chance to make history , City the least pedigree but a giant now with the money poured in..

Only 2 Italian teams  none  from Milan , no Chelsea no United.. Not many glamour teams when you look across draw....

With the seeding it's a poor event these days until last 8 , no pressure on Celtic so they could have a few decent games.

Well Inter finished 13points away from Roma last year and this was their best year in the last five. They sacked Mancini for no good reason, but got to sign some good players this season. 

AC Milan are crap nowadays and were a midtable club. You can blame Silvio's daughter for that, after she stopped f**king Pato the club went downhill. :laugh: Now that Berlusconi sold the club, you'll get to see a turnaround in fortunes. 

Chelsea and United, well... 

IMHO the Champions League group stage should consist of

4 teams from each of the top 4 leagues (currently England, Germany, Italy and Spain but this isn't likely to change any time soon).

2 teams from each of the next 3 leagues (currently France, Portugal and Russia) 

The Europa League winner The Champion from each of the next 3 or 4 leagues (currently Ukraine and Belgium, Turkey, Czech Republic) depending if the Europa League winner has already qualified or not. 

The rest of the spots (6) to be filled from the champions that get to qualify from a knockout stage. 

That way you don't get really weak groups and get the decent teams in the competition.

However the competition that is long overdue for a change is the Mickey Mouse Cup Europa League. 

13 hours ago, Andrew19 said:

Well apart from PSG, Porto and maybe a second French team the rest of the teams are there to make up the numbers. You have 4 teams from England, Spain and Germany now. Italy got only 2 teams because Roma failed to qualify. When was the last time a team from any other country made it to the semis?

Well Inter finished 13points away from Roma last year and this was their best year in the last five. They sacked Mancini for no good reason, but got to sign some good players this season. 

AC Milan are crap nowadays and were a midtable club. You can blame Silvio's daughter for that, after she stopped f**king Pato the club went downhill. :laugh: Now that Berlusconi sold the club, you'll get to see a turnaround in fortunes. 

Chelsea and United, well... 

Doesn't matter who made it to the semi final in past years. A teams target now from the so called big four leagues is to finish in the top four. 

"I was there son when we finished fourth and made it to the CL"

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Al McReady said:

IMO there should be 1 team from each country (the champions) in the competition.

Fully agree, only the winner of the top league in each European country should be there.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Andrew19 said:

That way you don't get really weak groups and get the decent teams in the competition

With that logic, Leicester would never have been allowed in the English Premier last season and look what happened.

As above, Champions League should be what it is - Champions from all the different nations, plus maybe holders if they don't qualify otherwise.

• Like 1

Absolutely disgusting the way they are going to do this.

Ajax champions of the Netherlands and four times European champions have to qualify while winners of the "fourth place cup“ of the big four leagues are to be guaranteed a place.

Plus Leicester City the team with the lowest coefficient in the competition are seeded in pot one for the draw?

I hate the league format of European competitions with too many pointless games. So what if Celtic can beat Barcelona, Barca will still qualify for the next round possibly by coming second. What the fcuk is that about? You can come fourth in your league then second in the group and still be in the last sixteen of the Champions League? 

I think the big clubs should go form a European League and play each other week in week out. 

The rest of football should get back to trying to win things. With champions of each league entering a non seeded knock out cup. Another one for national cup winners and zilch if you won nothing.

A European league would be a disaster , derbies are the life blood of football , the CPL is about keeping the rich teams rich ...

16 hours ago, kwa said:

With that logic, Leicester would never have been allowed in the English Premier last season and look what happened.

As above, Champions League should be what it is - Champions from all the different nations, plus maybe holders if they don't qualify otherwise.

Well Ludogorets are in the Champions League as well, who knows they might get to win it.

What you have now though is 2nd and 3rd placed teams from mid level championships getting into the CL qualifiers. These teams shouldn't have been there in the first place. 

Even if it's Champions only I don't think it would be interesting to watch a group stage with the champion of Gibraltar playing against the champion of Slovakia, then playing against the champion of Bosnia and then playing against the champion of Andorra. 

12 hours ago, Parky said:

A European league would be a disaster , derbies are the life blood of football , the CPL is about keeping the rich teams rich ...

You can't have a European league for a lot of reasons. 

CL is about getting the best teams in the continent to play against each other. The best teams tend to be the richer ones as well.

14 hours ago, thinkingallowed said:

Absolutely disgusting the way they are going to do this.

Ajax champions of the Netherlands and four times European champions have to qualify while winners of the "fourth place cup“ of the big four leagues are to be guaranteed a place.

Plus Leicester City the team with the lowest coefficient in the competition are seeded in pot one for the draw?

I hate the league format of European competitions with too many pointless games. So what if Celtic can beat Barcelona, Barca will still qualify for the next round possibly by coming second. What the fcuk is that about? You can come fourth in your league then second in the group and still be in the last sixteen of the Champions League? 

I think the big clubs should go form a European League and play each other week in week out. 

The rest of football should get back to trying to win things. With champions of each league entering a non seeded knock out cup. Another one for national cup winners and zilch if you won nothing.

Ajax weren't champions of the Netherlands last year. 

Getting seeded in pot one means that this is a strong team, they're the English champions after all.

If Celtic get to beat Barcelona they might get to qualify instead of them. Plenty of big teams have failed to qualify from the CL group stage.

17 minutes ago, Andrew19 said:

Well Ludogorets are in the Champions League as well, who knows they might get to win it.

What you have now though is 2nd and 3rd placed teams from mid level championships getting into the CL qualifiers. These teams shouldn't have been there in the first place. 

Even if it's Champions only I don't think it would be interesting to watch a group stage with the champion of Gibraltar playing against the champion of Slovakia, then playing against the champion of Bosnia and then playing against the champion of Andorra. 

CL is about getting the best teams in the continent to play against each other. The best teams tend to be the richer ones as well.

Getting seeded in pot one means that this is a strong team, they're the English champions after all.

If Celtic get to beat Barcelona they might get to qualify instead of them. Plenty of big teams have failed to qualify from the CL group stage.

but thats were it fails , because leicester are not a particularly good team despite winning the english premiership last year .

do you really think they can win the champions league ?

i have a feeling simply because of the section they have found themselves drawn in they might now qualify from that group , but i cant see them going any further than that .

had they not have been seeded i couldnt have seen them qualifying from any group .

only 1 thing seperates any team from another and thats money , be that obscene tv revenue in comparison to other nations thus giving advantage or obscene investment privately also giving advantage .

thats were the champions league is flawed as a competition , when you have teams paying more for one player against teams whos squad , stadium , and all their total assets are not valued as much as that one player .

football at european level is no longer a level playing field .

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Andrew19 said:

Not many seeded teams have failed to get to the knockout stage , they seed as they want them to stay in ... In the old days it was a drawn 2 leg knockout , Malmo reached the final one tune that would never be allowed now . The sponsors of the big teams would not allow it.

Same as Anders Frisk being picked to stop Chelsea getting in the final ,  he has only done a few way lower level games , clearly he was under orders.