Latest News
  • *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 31st of August... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 31st of August... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 31st of August... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 31st of August... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 31st of August... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 31st of August... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 31st of August... it would be great to see you if your in town...!

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
The Tongue

A Turkey For Christmas

I was speaking to the proprietor of the Ham Bacon and Meat company here in Hua Hin and was asking about getting a turkey crown for Christmas. It was news to me when he said that you can't get any turkeys this year.  As I was away in the UK last Christmas it seems as though the American Triple A turkeys have been banned due an infection and the ban appears to still be in place. He is unable to source any turkeys, he has even looked at importing from Australia but can not get a license.

I asked about Thai turkeys and he basically laughed. He said he was able to source Thai turkeys of a weight around 6.5 kilos but once the bird is stripped down off the bone he is lucky to procure 1 kg of turkey meat so he won't be offering anything via that route.

How about you guys, are you getting the same story, are there no turkeys in the freezers of Foodland, Villa etc.

I think it will be sad not to have turkey this year although a ham may be the answer.

Any experiences, thoughts?

Guest Chang_paarp

The imported turkeys are still banned due to bird flu concerns. Unlike the rest of the world the Thais have not rescinded the bans.

Probably more than a little bit of a nudge from the local producers to keep this in place, if it was worthwhile market there would be some pressure from the US producers.

As an aussie... at Xmas Ihave given away the traditional meal involving turkey years ago and just go for a seafood Xmas with a BBQ.

Just get some fish, prawns, craps, any other seafood...... have some steaks, snags, chicken and pork....... bake veges...salads  and some deserts ... and away we go.

Usually have the bbq going from breakfast...... for lunch.... dinner....... easy as .... and seems to cater for all.

cheers

As a traditionalist and one who loves turkey I will look at ways of getting one in. I will investigate nearby where one can get a turkey, maybe a little overnight trip over the border will see me get one or even if it means a flight with SE Asia.

Just another reason for non-substantiation of my continued stay in Thailand on the back burner. Being in Hua Hin I can get seafood any day of the year, my only alternative would be a good ham if all else fails unless of course they are banned too.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Tongue said:

As a traditionalist and one who loves turkey I will look at ways of getting one in. I will investigate nearby where one can get a turkey, maybe a little overnight trip over the border will see me get one or even if it means a flight with SE Asia.

Just another reason for non-substantiation of my continued stay in Thailand on the back burner. Being in Hua Hin I can get seafood any day of the year, my only alternative would be a good ham if all else fails unless of course they are banned too.

Over the years I have eaten turkey for Xmas, but in reality it's far from my favourite food....I prefer a decent leg of pork with crackling,

I will be getting an Xmas pudding and mince pies delivered to me mid December ....

48 minutes ago, Parky said:

Over the years I have eaten turkey for Xmas, but in reality it's far from my favourite food....I prefer a decent leg of pork with crackling,

I will be getting an Xmas pudding and mince pies delivered to me mid December ....

I will be sad not to get a turkey but the mince pies and all the other essentials will assist me but of course it will be the people I spend my day with that will be the icing on the cake; that and a good bottle of plonk.

10 minutes ago, Buckfast said:

Never had a turkey at Christmas.

Stargazer probably knows where to get one in SE Asia but with the ban it would be illegal to import.

Believe it's only American and Australian turkeys banned?

Maybe other countries products are available in other SE Asian nations that would be allowed in Thailand or is it a blanket ban?

3 hours ago, Buckfast said:

Not sure boss. 

Processed turkey sandwich meat from the US is available in Villa market Hua Hin. Maybe just skip the whole turkey and have a sandwich.

Processed? Why not just open a can of spam and call it good. Bon appetit. :)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, mrgreenjeans said:

Processed? Why not just open a can of spam and call it good. Bon appetit. :)

The location is everything ?

Darren the manager of Sportsman posted the same in the breakfast club page on Facebook, but I believe he somehow managed to get his hand on some turkeys. Could ask him through FB. 

14 hours ago, Esco said:

Darren the manager of Sportsman posted the same in the breakfast club page on Facebook, but I believe he somehow managed to get his hand on some turkeys. Could ask him through FB. 

I would but I don't do Facebook. Thanks for the info though, it is showing positive possibilities are out there although hoping they are not Thai turkeys as I have heard they are not good.

It sounds like the same situation as last year, but I heard about container loads being shipped in by some budding entrepreneur(s) and there seemed  to be plenty available come the time.

7 hours ago, matthewh said:

surely they can im port from Malaysia,same as the guiness or  from oz.

As long as the imported bird is not on the banned list. It would be illegal to bring in an American turkey or any other foul on the banned list.

Obviously an American turkey is a favourite of mine and very tasty but are there any other nation's turkeys that are of good quality and accessible over the border without restrictions.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Tongue said:

As long as the imported bird is not on the banned list. It would be illegal to bring in an American turkey or any other foul on the banned list.

Obviously an American turkey is a favourite of mine and very tasty but are there any other nation's turkeys that are of good quality and accessible over the border without restrictions.

I can't imagine a Christmas with out a Willie Bird turkey, but if you can get your Hands on a nice Virginia ham or a British one of similar quality I'd go that route, instead of settling for a bird of poor quality. 

2 hours ago, mrgreenjeans said:

I can't imagine a Christmas with out a Willie Bird turkey, but if you can get your Hands on a nice Virginia ham or a British one of similar quality I'd go that route, instead of settling for a bird of poor quality. 

The ham is one of the back up plans if I can't source a decent bird...........

1 hour ago, The Tongue said:

Lots of luck to you...

4 hours ago, mrgreenjeans said:

5 hours ago, The Tongue said:

I normally have a ham shank if i cant source a decent bird.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Al McReady said:

I normally have a ham shank if i cant source a decent bird.

Just knew you would Al lol

Just posted on Breakfast Club by Queen Victoria Inn

Prime food Service 
Norbest Whole Turkey 475 per kilo 
tel Alistair 0847 789 054 or email Sales@primefoodservice.net
limited turkeys available  

Bild zeigt Essen

Edited by CampariO

Yes, he must have got them in from an out of country source. As Alex says way too expensive.  An average 6 kilo bird is going to cost 2850 baht, way above my pay grade!

By the way the Makro new product Thai Turkeys looked liked they had all slimmed down for a modeling assignment. Wouldn't touch them.

Just now, The Tongue said:

Yes, he must have got them in from an out of country source. As Alex says way too expensive.  An average 6 kilo bird is going to cost 2850 baht, way above my pay grade!

By the way the Makro new product Thai Turkeys looked liked they had all slimmed down for a modeling assignment. Wouldn't touch them.

I guess Christmas dinners will be even a bigger rip off than normal this year in pattaya.at prices like that there will be thai turkeys soon.

• Like 1

On 26/10/2016 at 8:38 AM, mrgreenjeans said:

Cant imagine Christmas ,,, that's funny :p Willie bird, will you be plucking it or choking it ? :laugh:

I notice that a few places are advertising Thanksgiving events with turkey and all the trimmings. I also notice little chatter about the lack of turkeys for a day where the large bird is the main event so does this mean that some proprietors are sourcing their fayre easily, are these the expensive birds mentioned above and being sneaked in from across the border, I am interested for sure.

Would love to know if Evil or any of our resident Americans is aware of the word on the street.