Jump to content
Latest News
  • *** Don't forget about this months friday 28th, drinks with vpi78 @ The Rock House on friday... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months friday 28th, drinks with vpi78 @ The Rock House on friday... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months friday 28th, drinks with vpi78 @ The Rock House on friday... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months friday 28th, drinks with vpi78 @ The Rock House on friday... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months friday 28th, drinks with vpi78 @ The Rock House on friday... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months friday 28th, drinks with vpi78 @ The Rock House on friday... it would be great to see you if your in town...!

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
The Tongue

Question for our US Citizens

Recommended Posts

My landlady is a Thai but has dual nationality, she is flying back to San Francisco on Friday because her US passport has only 4 days remaining on validity.  Am I correct in assuming when she lands the US border control will do nothing more than tell her she needs to renew her passport as it is about to expire.

She did try to contact the US Embassy in Bangkok but got no answer but as she was going home soon to visit her sons in the US she just thought she would go a few days early within the validity of her passport.

My belief is that you only need to have a passport valid for 6 months if you are traveling to a country which is not your residency.

I thought that she may get a few funny looks from the EVA Air check in staff but as she is going to use her Thai passport to leave the country it could only be an issue (I doubt) in the US.

Just want confirmation of my thoughts really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, The Tongue said:

My landlady is a Thai but has dual nationality, she is flying back to San Francisco on Friday because her US passport has only 4 days remaining on validity.  Am I correct in assuming when she lands the US border control will do nothing more than tell her she needs to renew her passport as it is about to expire.

She did try to contact the US Embassy in Bangkok but got no answer but as she was going home soon to visit her sons in the US she just thought she would go a few days early within the validity of her passport.

My belief is that you only need to have a passport valid for 6 months if you are traveling to a country which is not your residency.

I thought that she may get a few funny looks from the EVA Air check in staff but as she is going to use her Thai passport to leave the country it could only be an issue (I doubt) in the US.

Just want confirmation of my thoughts really.

Her US passport is valid until the date of its expiry, so as long as she enters the US before it expires, even on the last day of its validity there will be no issue for valid passport on the US side. I've entered back into the US with a passport less than 1 month from expiry and there were no issues.

Her airline might question it, but there will be no validity issue with US Immigration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, vpi78 said:

Her US passport is valid until the date of its expiry, so as long as she enters the US before it expires, even on the last day of its validity there will be no issue for valid passport on the US side. I've entered back into the US with a passport less than 1 month from expiry and there were no issues.

Her airline might question it, but there will be no validity issue with US Immigration.

My thoughts too, she will leave Thailand on her Thai passport. Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found this online:

"According to the U.S. Department of State, all American citizens must possess a valid passport in order to exit and re-enter the United States.
Trying to return to the U.S. with an expired passport may result in being denied entrance. It is best to resolve this before your return trip.
You can apply for an emergency renewal at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate general."

I assume that the US can't really deny re-entry to an American Citizen. but I suspect that they could turn it into a bureaucratic nightmare. Interestingly, even an expired US Passport (up to 5 years expired) is valid proof of identity and citizenship to obtain a new passport.

Far better to be safe than sorry and re-enter the US while to passport is still valid.

A US passport is valid for ten years (and there is no time restriction as to how early you can apply for renewal). So, it is hard to imagine any reasonable explanation  for her failure to renew in a timely fashion.

[Also, you mention: " She did try to contact the US Embassy in Bangkok but got no answer..." I have dealt with the American Consular Services at the US Embassy in Bangkok and they have always been prompt, courteous and professional in their response. Perhaps your landlady meant that she did not get the response that she had wanted.]

14 minutes ago, vpi78 said:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Buckfast said:

She will have to check in with her US passport though unless her Thai passport has a US visa. Can't see any problems

Good point about using Thai passport to leave to the US. May have to show both. She has been building a hotel complex and has been quite stressed, I just think the passport renewal just passed her by until now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Buckfast said:

I guess she could check-in with her US passport then use the automated gates for thai passports would be a breeze.

I have spoken with her and she will show US passport at check in verifying her ability to travel, she will then use Thai passport to exit through Thai immigration.

She entered Thailand on Thai passport so can't use US passport to exit anyway as no stamp..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, The Tongue said:

My landlady is a Thai but has dual nationality, she is flying back to San Francisco on Friday because her US passport has only 4 days remaining on validity.  Am I correct in assuming when she lands the US border control will do nothing more than tell her she needs to renew her passport as it is about to expire.

She did try to contact the US Embassy in Bangkok but got no answer but as she was going home soon to visit her sons in the US she just thought she would go a few days early within the validity of her passport.

My belief is that you only need to have a passport valid for 6 months if you are traveling to a country which is not your residency.

I thought that she may get a few funny looks from the EVA Air check in staff but as she is going to use her Thai passport to leave the country it could only be an issue (I doubt) in the US.

Just want confirmation of my thoughts really.

She will use Her THAI passport to leave and show Her USA passport to board plane. Only six Months validity if leaving the airport of ANY Country barr the USA. You were a flight attendant. What's changed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Dave I might be wrong but how I understand things whilst US allows for dual citizenship, holding multiple passports is not legal and treated fairly seriously. I would not recommend your landlady enter US on a different passport than what she started travel on. Pretty sure technology is up to speed now and if she entered on a US passport the machines would instantly show this can't be her only pp as the origin of current travel would not register.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ok in the UK it needs 6 month validity.im not sure in other countries.this is a good thread that people can see facts from.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, pattayaman2001 said:

She will use Her THAI passport to leave and show Her USA passport to board plane. Only six Months validity if leaving the airport of ANY Country barr the USA. You were a flight attendant. What's changed?

Well I wasn't a trolley dolly but yes worked for an airline many years back. Things do change, many things have but my question was to ask US citizens with the knowledge/experience if there were any anomalies when using a nearly expired passport traveling to the US and really just confirming my beliefs to a good friend who asked for my advice.  It isn't always so simple as Thailand doesn't like people having dual nationality (read in these pages eons back) and I was just trying to help the lady avoid possible issues, you yourself say Thailand makes up things as they go along sometimes looking for unusual avenues to screw people up, not a lot is set in concrete when dealing with Thai bureaucracy.  She doesn't have the knowledge that many here do.

Think she also needs to get back before she has her passport rights taken away by Trump lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, tommy dee said:

US Customs would have a field day with that.  if she enters the US on a US Passport, then there would be no record of her, as a Thai entering, so if she tries to leave on the Thai passport they would assume she entered illegally.  needs to entter and leave with SIMILAR ( new one ) passport for sure

Also US EMbassy in BKK will issue emergency passport within hours if you lose, deface or expire your passport.  those orders are good for one trip home

 

As long as she enters the US legally on an acceptable document I don't think there is an issue.  She will legally leave Thailand on a Thai passport and arrive in the US on another legal document. I don't see the US being interested in what passport she used to leave Thailand, they are concerned, surely, only with how she arrives on the US border.

The airlines also need to be happy that she is documented correctly for traveling on their airline. She has valid documents to board their plane and leave their plane without issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, matthewh said:

ok in the UK it needs 6 month validity.im not sure in other countries.this is a good thread that people can see facts from.

The 6 month validity does not apply to RE ENTER ones home country.

It is only requested when applying for visa, or entering visa free a 3rd country (well, most of them)

One can't apply for a 90 day visa with a passport that's only valid 2 months anymore.

In this lady's case she has an US passport, so she is considered an US citizen, so she can re enter her "home country" even with a few days left on the passport. But she will have to make a new one to leave the US. Leave as a US citizen, because she entered as such.

 

Edited by thai spice
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/7/2016 at 11:22 PM, The Tongue said:

I have spoken with her and she will show US passport at check in verifying her ability to travel, she will then use Thai passport to exit through Thai immigration.

She entered Thailand on Thai passport so can't use US passport to exit anyway as no stamp..

Dangerous ..... they could pull her in for having two passports and using dual nationality which is illegal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

she will have to show the passport that she used to purchase the ticket when checking in. if there is less than 6 months on the passport she can not check in online as the software will not let her. this may vary between airlines. I flew to Australia with 2 days on my passport and the only problem was I could not check in on line

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tom07 said:

she will have to show the passport that she used to purchase the ticket when checking in. if there is less than 6 months on the passport she can not check in online as the software will not let her. this may vary between airlines. I flew to Australia with 2 days on my passport and the only problem was I could not check in on line

Read my post # 14 FFS......   She is a US citizen going home to her country (US).

Never have put my passport info when booking a ticket on line (A.F. / EK/ Cathay....)

So many wrong understanding of the problem here !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, thai spice said:

The 6 month validity does not apply to RE ENTER ones home country.

It is only requested when applying for visa, or entering visa free a 3rd country (well, most of them)

One can't apply for a 90 day visa with a passport that's only valid 2 months anymore.

In this lady's case she has an US passport, so she is considered an US citizen, so she can re enter her "home country" even with a few days left on the passport. But she will have to make a new one to leave the US. Leave as a US citizen, because she entered as such.

 

thankyou for clarifying that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lady now at gate, checked in ok by showing US passport, no questions, just took a glance at name as per ticket to verify traveler. She then went through immigration using automatic gates for Thai travelers. Sitting at gate 4 for 5.10 departure on EVA with both boarding cards for flights via Taipei.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×