Latest News
  • The Latest News
  • The lottery
  • Good news for all the lottery syndicate players - - - Yet again the luckydip tickets wins....

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

The Tongue

Did You Root Today

The space on my phone (S4) had been filling up for a while and I was getting warning messages, I was even thinking of just buying anew phone.

Thing is I wasn't really adding anything but space was disappearing. Ok buy an SD card and stick everything in there, that was the idea but it seems Google want you to delete anything not Google and doesn't want any of their apps put out to an external SD card.  As much as I could see the 'move to SD' in the APPs manager for each app it was mostly greyed out so not able to move.  Now Google does become your friend for finding out what to do about it so it appeared 'Rooting' your phone is the answer.  Seemed really complicated, possibly fatal to the phone if done wrong but I followed the instructions, downloaded a .APK app and heh presto I have a rooted phone with developer options.  Thing is I now try to download to SD card but I need to create a second partition which involves downloading a 'mini tool partition' on your PC and attaching the SD card before following another 'Google' found instruction.

I was nervous but I put the SD card back into the phone and it looked good, the SD card now was being offered the ability to install nearly all new apps a download into the SD partition including Google Play Services. I now have a phone with an extra 8 GB which actually is seeing that 8GB being used and not ignored.

A final note was that using Google Play Store to install new apps was still telling me to delete other apps first but I just downloaded APTOIDE and that offers literally the same capability as Play Store, I now have so many more apps loaded including a lot I had deleted to make room for Google updates and other apps I saw as necessary. You may get warnings from Google telling you they take no responsibility if the system fails but I suppose that is the same with downloading anything. Last night the phone went through a large update download and everything worked fine.

Disclaimer. I am not a phone user developer or expert on anything Android, I just had a problem with my phone that by using information provided on the net offered me options to pursue. I have done that and now my phone seems to be working better than ever. I have also downloaded 2 security systems that clean, scan and boost the phone.

My final tip, never buy a 16GB phone, buy at least 32GB. Now this is not based on anything more than my experience that the operating system, the basic apps and memory needed take up a hell of a lot of that 16GB and therefore the basic storage capability filled up really quickly, hence my problems. Please note I only play one game on my phone and I doubt I have as many apps as most.  Having a minimum 32Gb would work fine for me and probably most here although you can never have too much. 

If you have done this already did you enjoy your 'root'.

No I didn't root my phone but if you've done this then I think you'd be fine reloading your Minix box.

I spent very little time researching it but found that putting Kodi plus add ons on to an Amazon FireStick was quite easy even though Amazon have taken steps to make it more difficult.

This site is a great place to start getting info...

https://seo-michael.co.UK

And hey if it isn't working now and you mess it up what have you lost.

8 minutes ago, thinkingallowed said:

No I didn't root my phone but if you've done this then I think you'd be fine reloading your Minix box.

I spent very little time researching it but found that putting Kodi plus add ons on to an Amazon FireStick was quite easy even though Amazon have taken steps to make it more difficult.

This site is a great place to start getting info...

https://seo-michael.co.UK

And hey if it isn't working now and you mess it up what have you lost.

I would have a go but I think it is the processor on the Minix, other than obvious power (blue button) there is no visual life, no screen activity.  I haven't given up though and I will have another look over the next few days.  I might just buy a new box and take it from there, (Phil's suggestion after we exhausted a few avenues).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Tongue said:

I would have a go but I think it is the processor on the Minix, other than obvious power (blue button) there is no visual life, no screen activity.  I haven't given up though and I will have another look over the next few days.  I might just buy a new box and take it from there, (Phil's suggestion after we exhausted a few avenues).

If it's gone west its the first of Lanzas I heard about  , that said I know 3 or 4 ' Who could get them cheap from EBay, tutcom , some guy in bar ... saving so much , problem is they never seem to work don't have this don't have that ,, but what does it matter as long as you save 1500 Baht ??

One self professed tech wizard said ' waste of money ' I get it all on PC blah blah ... he wound up buying one 55555 ?

You can't make these zooms up , Sunday I had a Harley rider tell me BMW bikes were unreliable ???

This is some town 

3 hours ago, Parky said:

If it's gone west its the first of Lanzas I heard about  , that said I know 3 or 4 ' Who could get them cheap from EBay, tutcom , some guy in bar ... saving so much , problem is they never seem to work don't have this don't have that ,, but what does it matter as long as you save 1500 Baht ??

One self professed tech wizard said ' waste of money ' I get it all on PC blah blah ... he wound up buying one 55555 ?

You can't make these zooms up , Sunday I had a Harley rider tell me BMW bikes were unreliable ???

This is some town 

On my Smart TV I have YouTube and I can sign into ILIKEHDTV which is an important part of owning a MINIX. I can also sign into ILIKEHDTV on my PC but I do miss all the Film apps as I just like to sit back and watch a movie at leisure, I tend not to download movies. The Minix also allows me to travel with the knowledge (in most hotel rooms) that I can watch the footie at all times.

I still may buy one online and get a wizard to load it for me.

1 hour ago, The Tongue said:

On my Smart TV I have YouTube and I can sign into ILIKEHDTV which is an important part of owning a MINIX. I can also sign into ILIKEHDTV on my PC but I do miss all the Film apps as I just like to sit back and watch a movie at leisure, I tend not to download movies. The Minix also allows me to travel with the knowledge (in most hotel rooms) that I can watch the footie at all times.

I still may buy one online and get a wizard to load it for me.

Well if you find one who saved so much and the box was so much better be sure to post it here, but an easier task is to  capture a Unicorn mate :laugh: Or on a sunny day perhaps the pot of gold at the end of the Rainbow, that said the  pot will have less in gold than you can save on a Minix .... Or so the Wizards will say :laugh:

On 15/12/2016 at 7:13 AM, The Tongue said:

My final tip, never buy a 16GB phone, buy at least 32GB. Now this is not based on anything more than my experience that the operating system, the basic apps and memory needed take up a hell of a lot of that 16GB and therefore the basic storage capability filled up really quickly, hence my problems.

I was given similar advice before buying my first smart phone.  I've just looked and it says 5.30GB used and 23.82GB free, so I don't think it's in danger of getting full anytime soon.  What do people put on their phones that takes up so much memory?

Music and  video takes up a lot , I had a HTC Wildfire  then Apple 5 then 6 ,,, Always buy one with more memory than I need, but now you can keep stuff in cloud or play  music  from there.

I guess if a guy downloads any pictures and manages his data which I don't a regular small amount of memory is ok but like houses you fill up rooms with garbage you don't really need.

I would wager 99% of Smart phone users have a few apps they never use, I clear a few out now and then but I would have some which  I really don't use.

1 hour ago, Parky said:

Music and  video takes up a lot , I had a HTC Wildfire  then Apple 5 then 6 ,,, Always buy one with more memory than I need, but now you can keep stuff in cloud or play  music  from there.

I guess if a guy downloads any pictures and manages his data which I don't a regular small amount of memory is ok but like houses you fill up rooms with garbage you don't really need.

I would wager 99% of Smart phone users have a few apps they never use, I clear a few out now and then but I would have some which  I really don't use.

Over the years i have got through loads of pc's and laptops ......when they f*ck up i just remove the hard drives and buy the kits to turn them external . I must have about 10 at least , plus independent externals i have bought . Still got loads of photos stored on dvd discs and old camera and video sticks  .

But best of all i have a suitcase full of old photos - when i can be fu*ked i scan and post them on media sites and give old mates a real shock :) I find it exciting when i post pix of old mates who are now hairless :D

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Cat Crumpet said:

Over the years i have got through loads of pc's and laptops ......when they f*ck up i just remove the hard drives and buy the kits to turn them external . I must have about 10 at least , plus independent externals i have bought . Still got loads of photos stored on dvd discs and old camera and video sticks  .

But best of all i have a suitcase full of old photos - when i can be fu*ked i scan and post them on media sites and give old mates a real shock :) I find it exciting when i post pix of old mates who are now hairless :D

Looking at old photos of myself many years ago, really like looking at a stranger.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, john42 said:

Looking at old photos of myself many years ago, really like looking at a stranger.

Yes likewise - i used to look like a Poof   :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cat Crumpet said:

Funny I had two old hard drives from laptops, about a year ago I copied all to large drive drive and slung them, like you have have lots of old pictures I have only  scanned about 6 lol...

On 15/12/2016 at 8:04 AM, Parky said:

This is some town 

I could be that zoom. Plaka tried to sell me one but I was pretty sure that it couldn't do much that I and my laptop could do. I ended up getting one off Lanaza out of interest and found for me, YMMV, I was right so gave it to a mate who runs a bar in Chaiyaphum city and he loves it. So do his customers, I believe he's sold quite a few for Lanaza, so everyone is happy. 

17 hours ago, kwa said:

I was given similar advice before buying my first smart phone.  I've just looked and it says 5.30GB used and 23.82GB free, so I don't think it's in danger of getting full anytime soon.  What do people put on their phones that takes up so much memory?

Worth a read of the link below about the Samsung 16GB S4. My storage for apps is at 1.5GB, my memory uses 7GB and miscellaneous files account for another 7GB leaving less than 500mb for more apps, not much really.

Thank god for rooting and an SD card that I can use. The S4 tries to prevent downloading to the SD card and Google also doesn't want it's apps on an SD card especially using Playstore to download new apps or update existing ones.

Rooting and Aptoide allow the full potential of an SD card to be used but next time I buy a phone I will buy min 32GB and thoroughly check the storage specification.

https://www.cnet.com/UK/news/samsung-defends-16gb-s4s-mere-8gb-of-usable-storage/

18 hours ago, kwa said:

Photos, the memory on her phone is always full due to the amount of photos she takes.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Tongue said:

Worth a read of the link below about the Samsung 16GB S4. My storage for apps is at 1.5GB, my memory uses 7GB and miscellaneous files account for another 7GB leaving less than 500mb for more apps, not much really.

Thank god for rooting and an SD card that I can use. The S4 tries to prevent downloading to the SD card and Google also doesn't want it's apps on an SD card especially using Playstore to download new apps or update existing ones.

Rooting and Aptoide allow the full potential of an SD card to be used but next time I buy a phone I will buy min 32GB and thoroughly check the storage specification.

https://www.cnet.com/UK/news/samsung-defends-16gb-s4s-mere-8gb-of-usable-storage/

Got half way though , no doubt it made sense and is a good strategy ? But rooting and riptides , never surfed not being Charlie ?

Me being an IT zoom I just buy bigger apples , the last one in 5" I hope the 5" can store a lot ?

3 hours ago, Parky said:

Got half way though , no doubt it made sense and is a good strategy ? But rooting and riptides , never surfed not being Charlie ?

Me being an IT zoom I just buy bigger apples , the last one in 5" I hope the 5" can store a lot ?

And here is me thinking roots are just for squares lol

• Like 1

15 hours ago, The Tongue said:

. . . .  miscellaneous files account for another 7GB leaving less than 500mb for more apps, not much really.

Wouldn't putting miscellaneous files to SD card or off altogether give you the space you need, or are these apps too?  I don't like the sound of this bit from the article.

"For £550 you shouldn't have to void your warranty and potentially brick your phone, simply to have the advertised amount of space."

15 hours ago, Murchie said:

Photos, the memory on her phone is always full due to the amount of photos she takes.

I can understand it for a woman. :)

5 hours ago, kwa said:

Wouldn't putting miscellaneous files to SD card or off altogether give you the space you need, or are these apps too?  I don't like the sound of this bit from the article.

When going into Miscellaneous files there are just about a couple of Mb that are shown and can be deleted. The majority of over 6Gb are hidden and are obviously part of the operating system.  I have also been online to various communities to check about this large file area, it appears that it is Bloatware implanted by Samsung and Verizon, a bullshit reply from Verizon to a customer is shown below:

Good morning. Congrats on your recent purchase of the Samsung Galaxy S4. I know the importance of ensuring you have available memory. I would be more than happy to address your equipment concerns.

The Miscellaneous memory on the Galaxy S4, holds pre-installed applications that come with your device. Should you need additional memory than what is available on the device, you may purchase a memory card up to 64GB. In addition, the Samsung Galaxy S4 offers a feature called Samsung Smart Switch. This feature immediately transfers photos, videos, contacts, and apps in one clean sweep. For more information on this feature please visit samsungsmartswitch.com. Should you have further questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to us. We would be more than happy to assist you.

Thank You,
MichelleS_VZW
VZW Support

So a 16GB phone effectively has a couple of GB of space available for APPs.  Minimums are used for memory and bloatware which severely limit the storage for use by it's owner.  The ladies reply above about getting an SD card is a very poor one as I confirmed in an earlier post that Samsung and Google do not like SD cards, you need to force the use of an SD by rooting or using another APP downloader such as Aptoide with various other apps to allow an SD transfer..

I may not buy Samsung again.

As a note I have got my phone working perfectly but as the phone still believes it is almost full I get warnings all the time telling me to free space, I still have 7 GB available on my SD card, I have ensured that new apps go to my SD card although this is not always ideal. By the way I only play one game, don't have Facebook but do have Youtube and LINE. The rest is just usual stuff most novices like me would have. My Apps downloaded on the phone amount to less than 1.4 GB.

Buyer beware.

That's one of the reason I stick with Apple products.

Great for folk that just want to switch them on and use them without any faffing about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scotty said:

That's one of the reason I stick with Apple products.

Great for folk that just want to switch them on and use them without any faffing about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same same, I get the odd person saying ' They are a waste of money "  kinda makes me laugh , they work simple as that.

Unless one is familiar with the concepts of 'root' in the Linux/UNIX world i wouldn't suggest doing this to your phone unless it's an older one and if you brick it it's nothing to worry about. 

I would never, ever install any app from some alternate play store on a daily driver phone.  It's too risky.  

'Root cause' of space problems is usually too many photos and videos. Move these to the cloud or a computer and it will solve 90% of space problems. 

1 hour ago, Buckfast said:

Unless one is familiar with the concepts of 'root' in the Linux/UNIX world i wouldn't suggest doing this to your phone unless it's an older one and if you brick it it's nothing to worry about. 

I would never, ever install any app from some alternate play store on a daily driver phone.  It's too risky.  

'Root cause' of space problems is usually too many photos and videos. Move these to the cloud or a computer and it will solve 90% of space problems. 

Well phone is 4 years old. Storage issue is related to the actual low storage capacity of the S4. I only have downloaded 1.44GB of Apps and it became 98% full.

Rooting and partitioning my SD card allowed me many positive options. I have no photos or videos on my phone and it is working fine except for the need to be charged when nearing 35% charge otherwise it just switches off.

I have Aptoide and downloaded/updated some basic apps that Playstore offer. Thing is Playstore would not allow me to download or update due to capacity problems which it kept warning me about. Aptoide and SdLink have been a godsend.

I understand the risks but as I don't have any apps related to my finances etc I will carry on.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.