Latest News
  • FREE HOLIDAYS to Midnight and CBK --- Any more for any more..? *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 27th of July... it would be great to see you if your in town...!

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
Buckfast

Should passengers be allowed to drink their own duty free?

London to BKK on BA. This Russian drank an entire bottle of vodka from duty free plus drinks served by the FA.  US based airlines don't allow anyone to serve themselves on the airplane to avoid this. I always thought it was a bit of a nanny state policy.. what do you think?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2732305/terrifying-moment-10-passengers-restrain-rampaging-drunk-russian-on-british-airways-flight/

i  was under the impression that you were not allowed consume duty free on any airline, but saying that i have seen it happen and nothing was said

2 minutes ago, bigstuy said:

i  was under the impression that you were not allowed consume duty free on any airline, but saying that i have seen it happen and nothing was said

It's a federal law in the US. But never heard of it anywhere else.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that the Federal law says all alcohol consumed on flights must be served by cabin crew. So technically if you had a couple of miniatures of your favourite tipple and gave them to the crew to serve to you you could indeed drink your own alcohol legally. 

Basically same rules apply on UK flights. Some nannystaters want a limit of drinks that can be served on flights and in airport bars. Cnuts is all I can say.

Just now, thinkingallowed said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that the Federal law says all alcohol consumed on flights must be served by cabin crew. So technically if you had a couple of miniatures of your favourite tipple and gave them to the crew to serve to you you could indeed drink your own alcohol legally. 

Basically same rules apply on UK flights. Some nannystaters want a limit of drinks that can be served on flights and in airport bars. Cnuts is all I can say.

Correct for example you can give them a bottle of hi so wine and they can serve it to you in business class.

But you can't rip open a duty free bag, start slamming a bottle of bourbon and blast some Issan music on your phone while dancing in the aisle. They didn't like this much when I tried.

• Like 1

No they shouldn't,  the link that you posted is the perfect example of why it shouldn't be allowed. 

Just now, Murchie said:

No they shouldn't,  the link that you posted is the perfect example of why it shouldn't be allowed. 

yes I agree here.always love a few in the bar and on the plane though.

Most of the time millions of people fly each day, and do not get drunk and disorderly  Unfortunately there will always be the odd case of someone abusing alcohol and causing distress or even danger to other passengers.   Most airline crew members are trained to look for odd behavior and some airlines will not allow passengers onto a plane if they are clearly drunk, regardless of where they have been drinking.  If someone wants to buy a bottle of vodka in DF there is nothing to stop them from drinking it before boarding once they have checked in and on "airside",  I still think that it is up to individual airlines on how they handle it, but I would hate it if everyone was penalized because of the occasional arsehole who decides to abuse drinks on board.  The problem is thought that once the plane has taken off, especially on longhaul, many airlines would be reluctant to turn the plane around ,  I think they should be be arrested on arrival and possibly be banned from flying for a year though

• Like 1