Latest News
  • The Latest News
  • The lottery
  • Good news for all the lottery syndicate players - - - Yet again the luckydip tickets wins....

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Evil Penevil

Marquee Bar's 100-Baht Sunday Roast

AM1.jpg

The Marquee Bar & Cafe is well-known for its 100-baht Sunday roast dinners.  It had long been on my list of places to try; I just hadn't gotten around to it until yesterday. I believe 100 baht is the lowest price for a Sunday roast in central Pattaya.  

2.jpg

It's a popular bar located on the corner of Soi Bukhao and the subsoi that runs past the New Plaza bars to Second Road.  I've included a map at the end of this review for anyone not familiar with the area,

3.jpg

I ordered the Sunday dinner with roast beef and was pleasantly surprised by the meal I got considering the price.  It was a good plate of food and definitely value for money.

3a.jpg

It certainly isn't the best or biggest Sunday roast you can get in Pattaya, but those dinners will cost you three to five times as much. If you have a big appetite, then an all-you-can-eat buffet is the way to go.  But if you're happy with a modest portion, the Marquee's Sunday roast is an excellent option.

4.jpg

The plate I got looked very much like the picture in the ad. Three slices of roast beef, Yorkshire pudding, four small roast potatoes and some boiled veggies (a small spoonful of garden peas, a piece of carrot, two broccoli spears, a piece of sweet corn and a slice of boiled cabbage.  Amazingly, the veggies weren't overcooked.

5.jpg

Since the plate came doused in gravy, I propped up the slices of meat with a roast potato so they would show up better in the photo. The beef was of the packaged and pre-cooked variety and had been sliced very thin, but that's to be expected when the meal costs 100 baht. The gravy had a good flavor and consistency, but it probably came from a package.   I wish it had been served on the side, not poured on the plate.

6.jpg

The Yorkshire pudding looks overdone in the pic, but that is actually misleading. Only an extremely thin top layer had been burned, the rest hadn't.  A more serious fault was the interior:

[8.jpg

Here what I think happened: the Yorkshire pudding had been cooked properly from the beginning but had cooled and then been reheated, hence the overdone top surface and collapsed interior.  Still, it wasn't too bad and I've had far worse in Pattaya. I also believe I paid for violating one of my own rules about Sunday roasts as well as buffets: get there as early as possible. I had dinner at the Marquee Bar around 7 p.m.  If I had been there earlier-  I think they start serving at noon-  I'm sure the Yorkshire pudding would have been fine.

7.jpg

I really appreciated the corn on the cob, even though it's not part of a traditional British Sunday roast. Nice touch!

Bottom line: I didn't have high expectations when I sat down at the Marquee.  I was doubtful that a small restaurant could put together a 

Sunday roast worth eating for 100 baht.  I was wrong; the meal wasn't just edible, it was pretty good. Next time I'll go earlier and order the chicken. I'll also ask that the gravy be served on the side.

10.jpg

The Marquee does a special on fish and chips as well.

A couple of side notes.  One of the serving girls began hamming for the camera, but I just smiled and didn't snap her picture.  After a minute or two, a man seating close to my table asked me to take a picture of the girl.  Why, I don't know.  I've pixelated theor faces as I also don't know if they'd want the pic posted on a punter board.

Untitled-1.jpg

The Marquee's Sunday roast is quite popular.  Almost all the tables were taken, but with one diner each. 

Across the street, Nida Food & Drink had a lot of customers as well.

12.jpg

Evil

:devil

The map:

14.jpg

13.jpg

Amazing they can do it for 100 Baht

16 minutes ago, Parky said:

Amazing they can do it for 100 Baht

Was thinking same.....

Me three.  I think my dubiosity along those lines was the main reason I waited so long to try it.  But they seem to be pulling it off. They've run the Sunday roast special for nearly 1.5 years and it's quite popular.  I've seen it suggested that the special could be a loss leader,  a means of attracting customers to the bar.   With its scooter and Mod theme, the Marquee was already a busy bar with a loyal customer base.  I guess the Sunday roast special could be an attempt to broaden its customer appeal.   My bottle of SML cost 65 baht, which isn't at all expensive.

Evil

23a.jpg.c5e17fe2ea2ca247a06001748ab3b184.jpg

32 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

Me three.  I think my dubiosity along those lines was the main reason I waited so long to try it.  But they seem to be pulling it off. They've run the Sunday roast special for nearly 1.5 years and it's quite popular.  I've seen it suggested that the special could be a loss leader,  a means of attracting customers to the bar.   With its scooter and Mod theme, the Marquee was already a busy bar with a loyal customer base.  I guess the Sunday roast special could be an attempt to broaden its customer appeal.   My bottle of SML cost 65 baht, which isn't at all expensive.

Evil

23a.jpg.c5e17fe2ea2ca247a06001748ab3b184.jpg

Probably is a small loss leader, i.e they take a small loss on the overall price of the meal.

I know a bar called Bobby's bar in Hua Hin soi 102 that serves Sunday roast free but only to customers whose drinks bill reaches 200 baht or more.  I would think the popularity of the Marquee allows the price only to be 100 baht as they probably make a good profit on drinks.

Have passed it many times when staying at LK Royal Wing, looks an inviting place.

Sure lost leader , but most punters are creatures of habit , Irish Rovers and Retox did it with breakfast, makes sense gets punters then they buy other stuff .. I was told buy the tightest guy on the island 🌴 John42 apart it was good , but it seemed so cheap ..

I should try it , but it seems wrong 😂😂

The Sunday roast at the Marquee could have several purposes, all of which function in the bar's favor.  It could be a hook for new customers; a "reward" for steady customers; and even have niche appeal to those who only want a modest portion of food because of stomach problems or limiting calorie intake.  

However, such special offers sometimes backfire if they only attract people who buy the special and nothing else, then only visit the bar when the special is available.  It becomes extra work for the bar but no extra revenue.

Evil

23a.jpg.a5313a8ffd4fe212b2e9a204dd14f378.jpg

Edited by Evil Penevil

43 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

The Sunday roast at the Marquee could have several purposes, all of which function in the bar's favor.  It could be a hook for new customers; a "reward" for steady customers; and even have niche appeal to those who only want a modest portion of food because of stomach problems or limiting calorie intake.  

However, such special offers sometimes backfire if they only attract people who buy the special and nothing else, then only visit the bar when the special is available.  It becomes extra work for the bar but no extra revenue.

Evil

23a.jpg.a5313a8ffd4fe212b2e9a204dd14f378.jpg

Well if you say it’s worth a visit .. that’s good enough for me 😎🐕❤️

Looks like the right proportions to me. Will most likely try is when next in town.

Thanks for the review.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.