Latest News
  • The Latest News
  • The lottery
  • Good news for all the lottery syndicate players - - - Yet again this week and last week... scooping winnings two weeks in a row now.... Good news for all the lottery syndicate players - - - Yet again this week and last week... scooping winnings two weeks in a row now.... Good news for all the lottery syndicate players - - - Yet again this week and last week... scooping winnings two weeks in a row now.... Good news for all the lottery syndicate players - - - Yet again this week and last week... scooping winnings two weeks in a row now....

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
matthewh

taking a girlfriend or wife to the UK.dos donts and what fors.?

im not an immigration solicitor and I don't proclaim to be.i do know how it works after obtaining 2 visas,and being turned down once.im happy to help people here.remember"this is an immigration thread and not a thread about me and my family".getting your partner to the UK is just the first step.please share your knowledge and tips.seen a lot of comments lately on other threads and so here is one of its own.

Edited by matthewh

5 minutes ago, Rob Jones said:

Good idea to share your experience matty

I will help any member here,but will also see this as the thread title.any shit I will desert the thread.

• Thumbs up 1

I have been reading the UK government website info, seems straight forward for getting a partner in to the country.  Proof of income between the couple and doing a test, basic speaking and listening for the 2.5 year deal, a little more to extend to 5 years.

Interesting about the UK government mentioning the Human Rights Act and I know Matt has quoted article 8 on occasions. 

People can have their interpretations about that but it is there in concrete:

What is meant by family life?

You have the right to enjoy family relationships without interference from government. This includes the right to live with your family and, where this is not possible, the right to regular contact.

‘Family life’ can include the relationship between an unmarried couple, an adopted child and the adoptive parent, and a foster parent and fostered child.

Matthy,.share your experience about.the YOUR  case.  Mine is in France lage 90's so not really relevant.  And completely different circumstances.

ok I will now add as the thread is going correctly.my wife the lovely pukky is in the UK on discretionary leave to remain,issued outside of immigration rules, due to not passing the life in the UK co after 10 attempts, currently we are applying for an extension of that under artiicle8"a right to an un interrupted family life".she had her biometrics done today.just another snippet.im happy to add more but not initially

Also Tongue I believe if you have a certain level of savings you can show proof, something like £60k you dont have to provide proof of earnings atleast that was the case when i did my wifes visa in 2010.

• Thumbs up 1

2 minutes ago, buffalo said:

Also Tongue I believe if you have a certain level of savings you can show proof, something like £60k you dont have to provide proof of earnings atleast that was the case when i did my wifes visa in 2010.

they are so so strict on income.show everything you have and hide nothing.

3 minutes ago, matthewh said:

ok I will now add as the thread is going correctly.my wife the lovely pukky is in the UK on discretionary leave to remain,issued outside of immigration rules, due to not passing the life in the UK co after 10 attempts, currently we are applying for an extension of that under artiicle8"a right to an un interrupted family life".she had her biometrics done today.just another snippet.im happy to add more but not initially

We looked at the life in UK test and decided against it (too hard) Instead we did the English level 1 test,  cost £300 for 1 week course and the test is done by the people (Bunch of indians) who run the course I think everyone in her course got a pass.

• Like 1

There's one thing about the whole process that really gets to me.

Now i paid the Immigration health surcharge, in short up front National Health Service so Puang can use the government funded medical system.

We have paid up front for 2.5 years at the rate of 500 ponds then after 2.5 years we need to extend her visa for another 2.5 years on which we will need to pay the 500 pounds  Immigration health surcharge again.

Now Puang is in full time work doing 6 days a week and on some days she does 12 hours and most around 9 hours.

She is paying TAX National insurance contributions and a work place pension ( new government pension scheme )

The Immigration health surcharge = government funded medical system.

National insurance contributions = government funded medical system.

But to get the visa extension for another 2,5 years its mandatory to pay this 500 pounds to continue with the application..

• Like 1

Just now, buffalo said:

We looked at the life in UK test and decided against it (too hard) Instead we did the English level 1 test,  cost £300 for 1 week course and the test is done by the people (Bunch of indians) who run the course I think everyone in her course got a pass.

my wife will never pass that test.she is fluent in English,but the wording is not designed for a thai

Did all this 6 months ago...

The key figures for self employed is 25'000 gross and at least 19'00 net.

Which means to will pay TAX on 7'500 = 1500 in TAX

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, thai spice said:

Matthy,.share your experience about.the YOUR  case.  Mine is in France lage 90's so not really relevant.  And completely different circumstances.

Definitely not relevant, you're French......unless of course you took a wife or partner to the UK then I apologise.................there may be some French bms on here who may be interested in your exploits taking a partner to France.......lol

1 minute ago, The Tongue said:

Definitely not relevant, you're French......unless of course you took a wife or partner to the UK then I apologise.................there may be some French bms on here who may be interested in your exploits taking a partner to France.......lol

Tongue,.thats why I dont bring it up. Tread is about UK.

1 minute ago, thai spice said:

Tongue,.thats why I dont bring it up. Tread is about UK.

No kidding......I had to read the title lol

Edited by The Tongue

Can be a complex procedure due to many different circumstances and cases,  Long stay, tourist visa, spouse visa etc etc.

I did all my wifes UK visa's in Thailand, 7 in total ranging from tourist to 2 year multiples, basically the same rules and requirements.

The UK spouse visa I needed help on so I used Paul at Thai Visa Express who is superb BTW.

Our original case in 2015 was being looked at by Human rights etc but it was refused due to me not earning enough money to support her, before that application we'd thought about previously keeping her here and then going for Family rights and Article 8 and all that I put the wife back on a plane back to Thailand at the end of her 180 days, I discussed it with my Dad and the Immigration Solicitor who said that in the long run it would look more favourable for her as she had left voluntarily.

The law changed earlier in the year I believe and now you can show land/ property and also family assistance to help out with the finances which are still £62500 in savings or £18600 minimum a year full time salary.

:)

Shit,.thats about 1700 euro a month.. Not sure net salary or basic, but still sure leaves a lot of people out.

ok the rules have changed.i did a fiancé visa for my now wife in 2009.one of the best days in my life was flying her home,with the carrierbag she had.sad but true.ive read daves posts on other threads and I understand that there is a new criteria to be met.

17 minutes ago, buffalo said:

Life in the UK is for indefinite leave to remain isn't it?

15 minutes ago, matthewh said:

my wife will never pass that test.she is fluent in English,but the wording is not designed for a thai

Can't she study for it?

24 minutes ago, matthewh said:

What test was it ..?

B1 SELT – GESE Grade 5

3 minutes ago, matthewh said:

ok the rules have changed.i did a fiancé visa for my now wife in 2009.one of the best days in my life was flying her home,with the carrierbag she had.sad but true.ive read daves posts on other threads and I understand that there is a new criteria to be met.

Thats the difference that caused us problems, I married in Thailand and lived in Thailand so doing the visa now the length of marriage means nothing, in 2012 the financial requirement law came in, if I'd of flown home with her when we married I'd wager that she'd have a passport and everything now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, buffalo said:

Yes The step before getting her UK passport

I've just read that you have to live as a resident for 3 years before you can ask for a passport? Is that after you pass the life in the UK test?

28 minutes ago, lanzalad said:

There's one thing about the whole process that really gets to me.

Now i paid the Immigration health surcharge, in short up front National Health Service so Puang can use the government funded medical system.

We have paid up front for 2.5 years at the rate of 500 ponds then after 2.5 years we need to extend her visa for another 2.5 years on which we will need to pay the 500 pounds  Immigration health surcharge again.

Now Puang is in full time work doing 6 days a week and on some days she does 12 hours and most around 9 hours.

She is paying TAX National insurance contributions and a work place pension ( new government pension scheme )

The Immigration health surcharge = government funded medical system.

National insurance contributions = government funded medical system.

But to get the visa extension for another 2,5 years its mandatory to pay this 500 pounds to continue with the application..

Sounds like the same situation for my wife.

1 minute ago, davethailand said:

I've just read that you have to live as a resident for 3 years before you can ask for a passport? Is that after you pass the life in the UK test?

if your wife can.we are now using article8"a right an uninnteruppted family life".pukky did her biometrics today.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this