Latest News
  • FREE HOLIDAYS to Midnight and CBK --- Any more for any more..? *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 27th of July... it would be great to see you if your in town...!

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
lanzalad

Cambodia Cracks Down

Cambodia cracks down on retirees and expat businesses

It looks like The more people and money comes in to the country and so does the new rules..

I wonder if it will do the same as Thailand for the under 50's

Once the easiest of all Southeast Asian countries as regards expat long-stay visas, Cambodia is now cracking down with new regulations aimed at retirees and those requiring business visas. 

Over the past few years, Cambodia has become a preferred long-stay destination for expat retirees and small-scale entrepreneurs for its straightforward visa process. As a result, more expats have been heading for the country along with a good number of small businesses owners and pensioners formerly based in Thailand. The ease of getting a visa and extending it for a long-term stay has attracted many Western expats unhappy about what’s seen as deliberate restrictions imposed by Thailand’s military junta government. 

It now seems Cambodia is copying Thailand’s ever tightening visa regulations, thus barring expats from being able to live and work freely in the country. Formerly, once a Cambodian visa was granted, business visas were easily obtained locally, without having to make trips to Phnom Penh and provide reams of documentation as well as proof of earnings, pensions or capital. Retirement visas and business visas are affected, with one Cambodian travel agent who used to legally carry out visa extensions for expats saying the rules are now ‘getting stricter and stricter’. 

In addition, Cambodia’s Department of Immigration recently announced a crackdown on foreigners staying in the country on what has been described as ‘irregular documents’. DOI head General Sok Phal told one news outlet more than 70,000 expats have been found to be living in the country without the correct documentation including passports, ‘family books’, residency books, ID cards and visas. Until now, he added, no action has been taken, but from now full enforcement and revocation of the documents will take place. 

According to a reliable but anonymous source, no formal instructions have as yet been received, but many believe the crackdown as well as the recent closing down of the country’s English language newspaper,The Cambodian Daily, are being seen as governmental efforts to make sure next year’s general election comes and goes with no interference from outside the country. PM Hun Sen has been heard to refer to foreign-organised plans to stage a ‘colour revolution’ aimed at toppling his government. Whatever the reason, reducing the flow of comparatively well-off expats is likely to hit hard on small Cambodian businesses as well as the growing tourism industry. 

Them bstards wouldn’t let me marry my soul mate that I met in a bar, she was 23 and I was 81 but we loved each other and they wanted to destroy our future happiness with this ridiculous rule 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drunk Again 1
  • Thumbs up 3

2 hours ago, thai spice said:

Without strict rules they would end up with all the rubbish that even Thailand rejected...

Yes i agree but they opened the doors as Thailand was closing them ... and now a change of mind...

• Like 1

If foreign workers, retirees etc.  are living outside rules laid down  by any country they choose to make their home, they shouldn't expect no potential issues in the future.

Likewise relaxed rules, mean the Cambodian government doesn't want issues with the kind of people who need to flaunt rules..

3 hours ago, Rob Jones said:

Them bstards wouldn’t let me marry my soul mate that I met in a bar, she was 23 and I was 81 but we loved each other and they wanted to destroy our future happiness with this ridiculous rule 

lol She was not a bar girl  she worked in Lam Chabang and had a car :laugh:

53 minutes ago, Parky said:

lol She was not a bar girl  she worked in Lam Chabang and had a car :laugh:

Runs an empty café I call her my Mrs...Not a hooker lol

22 minutes ago, john42 said:

Runs an empty café I call her my Mrs...Not a hooker lol

lol Owns a condo , wont be an issue getting a visa for UK :laugh: She does not want any money  :laugh: 555555

I wonder if he still bores everyone in UK "We speak  on Skype every day "

The classic line "Eastern girls are not bothered about age like Western girls " 

Classic Bravo ... 

Edited by Parky

11 hours ago, Parky said:

lol Owns a condo , wont be an issue getting a visa for UK :laugh: She does not want any money  :laugh: 555555

Classic Bravo ... 

Keeps it fresh

Guest Captain Shitstain
On 12/26/2017 at 3:17 PM, Parky said:

Classic Bravo ... 

lol obsessed with John 42? You betcha! Reacts to every post he makes, but sounds like a broken record. :laugh:

On 27/12/2017 at 9:22 AM, Buckfast said:

Keeps it fresh

So I hear .. :)