Latest News
  • FREE HOLIDAYS to Midnight and CBK --- Any more for any more..? *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 27th of July... it would be great to see you if your in town...!

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Happy Falang

The big switch over to digital

Guest Happy Falang

Thailand makes the switch to only digital TV

3.jpeg?resize=696,392&ssl=1

Television stations in several provinces stopped broadcasting analogue services on New Year’s Eve as part of the Office of the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) policy to encourage the full use of the digital system.

Viewers in the affected areas will need to use a cable box and satellite dish to access programmes.

The Thai PBS station has stopped transmitting its analogue signal in Kanchanaburi, Khon Kaen, Phetchabun, Phuket, Yala, Lampang, Sing Buri, Sukhothai and Surat Thani.

Channel 7 stopped broadcasting on the old system in 17 provinces; Mae Hong Son, Lampang, Phrae, Nan, Buriram, Surin, Trat, Nakhon Sawan, Uthai Thani, Chainat, Kanchanaburi, Ranong, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Satul, Pattani, Yala and Narathiwas.

Channel 5 stopped in three provinces: Ubon Ratchathani, Chaiyaphum, and Loei.

Meanwhile, the government-run NBT channel has postponed cutting off its service to July 17.

Source: Nation

So that means out with all the old tv's and in with the flat screen tv's.

I bet many TG's will be pulling at the sponsor pockets for a new family TV

6 hours ago, Happy Falang said:

3.jpeg?resize=696,392&ssl=1

Television stations in several provinces stopped broadcasting analogue services on New Year’s Eve as part of the Office of the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) policy to encourage the full use of the digital system.

Viewers in the affected areas will need to use a cable box and satellite dish to access programmes.

The Thai PBS station has stopped transmitting its analogue signal in Kanchanaburi, Khon Kaen, Phetchabun, Phuket, Yala, Lampang, Sing Buri, Sukhothai and Surat Thani.

Channel 7 stopped broadcasting on the old system in 17 provinces; Mae Hong Son, Lampang, Phrae, Nan, Buriram, Surin, Trat, Nakhon Sawan, Uthai Thani, Chainat, Kanchanaburi, Ranong, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Satul, Pattani, Yala and Narathiwas.

Channel 5 stopped in three provinces: Ubon Ratchathani, Chaiyaphum, and Loei.

Meanwhile, the government-run NBT channel has postponed cutting off its service to July 17.

Source: Nation

So that means out with all the old tv's and in with the flat screen tv's.

I bet many TG's will be pulling at the sponsor pockets for a new family TV

I would think any girl being sponsored would have had a flat screen TV with digital long ago.....

5 minutes ago, The Tongue said:

I would think any girl being sponsored would have had a flat screen TV with digital long ago.....

Ahh the old days gone by ... they just don't rinse them like they used to do.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs up 1

Going digital in this case means TV is streamed over the internet instead of analogue. In the broadcasting world this is referred to as IPTV. 

It has nothing to do with old or new TVs per se, and you can still watch the same channels on any old TV.

That said, IPTV opens up an array of services to the Thai consumer, also in the remote provinces, and combined with a Smart TV and OTT services such as Netflix one's viewing possibilities are endless.

I can watch NetFlix on my Smart TV here in Buriram in HD quality for example. 

4 minutes ago, Esco said:

Going digital in this case means TV is streamed over the internet instead of analogue. In the broadcasting world this is referred to as IPTV. 

It has nothing to do with old or new TVs per se, and you can still watch the same channels on any old TV.

That said, IPTV opens up an array of services to the Thai consumer, also in the remote provinces, and combined with a Smart TV and OTT services such as Netflix one's viewing possibilities are endless.

I can watch NetFlix on my Smart TV here in Buriram in HD quality for example. 

I thought it was referring to the OTA (over the air)  channels. 

• Thumbs up 1

on sophon cable in pattaya you only getv75 channels

but if you use the digitalbox you can get off them you get 150channels

1 hour ago, sexy man said:

That’s true, you can buy the box a one time payment I think it was about 700 baht .. it also acts as a booster so better picture quality..

1 hour ago, sexy man said:

Yes, the digital box or set top box (STB) uses IP as input for its streams, hence IPTV. My firm sells the software than runs on these STBs to provide the middleware (logic), user interface, rights management, performance monitoring etc. 

Cable is still widely used in Europe and a cable operator should be able to provide the same channels as an IPTV operator, so it appears Sophon is well behind True in terms of infrastructure investment and/or content acquisition. 

2 hours ago, Buckfast said:

I thought it was referring to the OTA (over the air)  channels. 

Over the air as in terrestrial or over the top (OTT) TV?

The latter is basically IPTV but leveraging HTTP as protocol instead of RTSP, and can be wireless over 4G while RTSP is through fiber or copper only. 

1 minute ago, Esco said:

Yes, the digital box or set top box (STB) uses IP as input for its streams, hence IPTV. My firm sells the software than runs on these STBs to provide the middleware (logic), user interface, rights management, performance monitoring etc. 

Cable is still widely used in Europe and a cable operator should be able to provide the same channels as an IPTV operator, so it appears Sophon is well behind True in terms of infrastructure investment and/or content acquisition. 

What happened in Thailand isn’t related to this. The OTA changed from analog to digital 

1 minute ago, Esco said:

Over the air as in terrestrial or over the top (OTT) TV?

The latter is basically IPTV but leveraging HTTP as protocol instead of RTSP, and can be wireless over 4G while RTSP is through fiber or copper only. 

Terrestrial 

26 minutes ago, Buckfast said:

Cheers. 

So, instead of IPTV they're moving to DVB T-2 for terrestrial TV:  https://broadcast.nbtc.go.th/data/academic/file/591200000001.pdf

Makes sense, and my customer has invested in a new DVB T-2 encoding platform for remote areas in NL as well, although that's only for a handful of customers and not advertised as 'going digital' :) 

39 minutes ago, Buckfast said:

What happened in Thailand isn’t related to this. The OTA changed from analog to digital 

Is TRUE not offered via fiber and Sophon via cable?