Latest News
  • *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 31st of August... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 31st of August... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 31st of August... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 31st of August... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 31st of August... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 31st of August... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 31st of August... it would be great to see you if your in town...!

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Evil Penevil

Firepork Thailand at The Avenue on 2nd Road

23674892_431781280557621_9037263271583550564_o.jpg

Firepork Thailand is a new Korean barbecue restaurant under the Robin Hood Tavern at The Avenue Shopping Plaza on 2nd Road. The premises had previously been  occupied by a branch of Au Bon Pain.    Firepork had only been open a few days when I ate there last week.

IMG_0212.jpg

It's specialized in grilled pork, namely samgyupsal gui  (grilled pork belly), a very popular dish in Korea.   If you don't like or can't eat pork belly, there's no point in going to Firepork as there isn't much else on the menu. 

04.jpg

As soon as I stepped in, before I even sat down, the attractive hostess showed me the menu and explained it  was limited because  Firepork was still in its early days.  I could choose between grilled pork belly or grilled pork neck as main dishes along with some appetizers and sides, maybe ten dishes in all.  That was it.  She said they would be adding more dishes in time.

IMG_0210.jpg

I like grilled pork belly and hadn't eaten any for a very long time, so Firepork's limited menu was no problem for me. I chose the full version, which included vegetables, dipping sauces, etc., for 395 baht.  My can of Coke Zero was 40 baht.

03.jpg

The restaurant itself has been done up very nicely. It's spacious and well-lit, two important factors in my eyes.  It looked to me as if quality furnishings and fittings had been used, not stuff from IKEA or Home Depot.  The reason new restaurants. hotels, rental condos, bars, etc., start looking so shabby so fast is that hospitality-grade furnishings and equipment which can stand up to harsh treatment, haven't been used

05.jpg

The staff was very friendly and welcoming.  I was their ONLY customer the entire time I was there between 10  and 11 pm.  I have a feeling that unless Firepork can attract South Korean tourists in Pattaya,  it is really going to struggle for customers.  It's too specialized to attract a broad customer base.  Not many farang want to eat a full meal consisting of pork belly.  More mainstream Korean dishes like bulgogi or bibimbap need to be added to the menu.

IMG_0209.jpg

You certainly won't lack for choice from their bar.  But  how do they reach the top-shelf booze?

IMG_0190.jpg

Here's how it works at Firepork.  Each table has an electric stone grill.

01.jpg

As accompaniments to the grilled pork belly, diners get vegetables (mushrooms, onion. asparagus); dipping sauces and condiments; a bowl of kimchi; Asian-style "salad;" and a plate of lettuce leaves to use as wrappers for the dressed-up pork belly.

IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0188.jpg

IMG_0203.jpg

The second part of the review is on the way.

IMG_0199.jpg

The piece of pork belly had been grilled in the kitchen and arrived at the table ready to be finished along with the raw vegetables.  It was a substantial chunk, more calories than should be consumed at one sitting.

IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0195.jpg

IMG_0196.jpg

The waitress used kitchen sheers to cut the pork into bite-sized pieces, which were then grilled together with the vegetables.

IMG_0200.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0206.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

In Korea, grilled pork belly is traditionally eaten as part of a bite-sized wrap.  The meat is dipped in the sauce or condiment, then place at the center of a lettuce leaf.  Some slices of garlic or chili pepper can be added.  The lettuce leaf is then folded into a small package and popped into the mouth.  I didn't much bother with the lettuce, just ate the pork after dipping.

IMG_0205.jpg

Bottom line:  Good grilled pork belly, but too much fatty content and too many calories for one person. That dish should be split among two or more diners. I won't order it again as a solo diner.  And if Firepork doesn't add more variety to its menu, there won't be any point in going back.

My meal cost  395 baht for the grilled pork and accompaniments, plus 40 baht for the Coke Zero.  To that 435 baht had been added 7% VAT (31 baht) but no service charge.   I left  20 baht of the change from my 500-baht note on the tray and gave the girl who did the "grilling" 40 baht in her hand.

Evil

1 hour ago, Buckfast said:

Loving the hangul font in the photos

Noted that as well.....

Thanks as always for your review and especially to your tip 'if you don't like pork belly don't go'. It was there where I was able to stop reading.

Thanks anyway, I am sure others will appreciate what is on offer.

2 hours ago, Buckfast said:

Loving the hangul font in the photos

1 hour ago, thai spice said:

Noted that as well.....

There are a  lot of cool free fonts based on foreign writing systems.

Untitled-4.jpg.8f2a909ee92f488a6ad64bc99c02ccd6.jpg

Evil

23a.jpg.19cf00aaa3562960724682feba008d55.jpg