Latest News
  • *** Don't forget about this months friday 28th, drinks with vpi78 @ The Rock House on friday... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months friday 28th, drinks with vpi78 @ The Rock House on friday... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months friday 28th, drinks with vpi78 @ The Rock House on friday... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months friday 28th, drinks with vpi78 @ The Rock House on friday... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months friday 28th, drinks with vpi78 @ The Rock House on friday... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months friday 28th, drinks with vpi78 @ The Rock House on friday... it would be great to see you if your in town...!

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Evil Penevil

Trip Advisor's List of Top Pattaya Restaurants

This is a list of Trip Advisor's top 59 restaurants out of 944 in Pattaya as of Jan. 28, 2017. It was supposed to be a list of 60, but Mai Thai Cuisine at #9 fell by the wayside while I was formatting the list.  My apologies to Mai Thai. You can find the T A ranking's for Pattaya here,  However, T A continuously updates its rankings, so what you read today may differ from the lists below.

List2.jpg

And the top 10 in more detail:

list.jpg

These 60 restaurants were placed highest by Trip Advisor's algorithm for ranking restaurants based on reviews by anonymous posters.  It is NOT by any stretch of the imagination a list of the best restaurants in Pattaya as it doesn't feature objective standards for quality.  Even if such standards could be established, it would be impossible to apply them to anonymous reviews.

Basically, the list is a mishmash of the most popular Pattaya restaurants according to Trip Advisor's set of rules for calculating rankings. It's a very flawed approach that is wide open to manipulation. Just consider the recent case of the fake restaurant listed as #1 in London: How An Entirely Fake Restaurant Became London's Hottest Reservation.

But even if the ranking algorithm were perfectly fair, there's still an inherent contradiction which can't be overcome.  How do you compare a fine dining restaurant to a casual budget restaurant?  Or a pizzeria to a seafood restaurant? Or a classic French restaurant to an Indian or Tex Mex restaurant and say which is better?  It's impossible.

That said, there's no denying T A is hugely influential and contains some excellent reviews and tips on restaurants.  It's a matter of using it carefully and sorting the fake reviews from the genuine.  Keep in mind, too, that restaurant reviews are always subjective and reflect personal preferences.  Diners have different priorities when it comes to restaurant meals.  Some are most concerned with portion size and price; if they get a lot of food for a little money, they are happy. Others are focused on the quality of the food and the total dining experience, which goes beyond the food on the plate.

A few things jump out regarding the list of the top restaurants.  It's not surprising to find places like Cafe des Amis, Bruno's, Livv, Moonlight, Horizon and Casa Pascal among the top 10; fine dining restaurants always do well in ranking lists. It's surprising, though,  that Five Star J comes in at #3 and absolutely mind-boggling Caravan, a Russian-Uzbek (!!!) restaurant, would place third.

Surprising and mind-bogging, that is, until you take into account how T A compiles its rankings. Both Five Star J and Caravan appeal to limited groups of customers- Five Star to vegans and vegetarians; Caravan to Russian and Chinese tourists. Within those groups there's more uniformity of opinion about the restaurant's food, so it gets a high number of positive ratings.  Those who don't like vegetarian or Russian food aren't likely to eat there at all and it therefore doesn't get a lot of low ratings.  

It's a bit more complicated that that, but without going into a lot of detail, it's safe to say the high rankings of Five Star J and Caravan are largely quirks of the T A system.

I also found it surprising that Hooters ranked in 32nd place, one notch above Pattaya Beer Garden. Considering how much hatred is expressed on the punter boards over Hooters, I'm astounded it's done so well in the T A reviews. A comment in of one of those reviews made me chuckle:  "The biggest Hooters I've ever seen."   :P

I found it strange that very popular Thai seafood restaurants like Mum Aroi and Pupen didn't make the top 60, nor did popular Thai chains like MK.  But that may simply be due to Thais not writing reviews on T A. Over the years, I've eaten in about 40 of the 60 restaurants. 

Anyway, what restaurants do you feel shouldn't be in the top 60 and which are glaring by their omission?  Remember, the list is about popularity, not quality.

Evil
  • Thumbs up 1

Thanks for posting this, at last something that is really useful and informative. Will certainly use this when I return next month.

I miss Aquapaza. This is a mediterranean / Italian restaurant  which has besides the 'standard' menu a daily changing selection of fresh catch of the day. Highly recommended.

You can find the restaurant between Pattaya and Jomtien close to the Threppaya traffic lights.

• Thumbs up 1

Cafe des Amis is top of my list for western places I’ve eaten at for sure.....

I did Indian by Nature about 5 years ago, thought it was terrible so shocked it is in top 10; I am not a great authority on Indian food so I probably don't really have a say but if I had been on TripAdvisor back then it would have got a thumbs down from me.

I remember it took so long for the food to come that they were offering us dessert before our starters arrived, we obviously had been noticed by the staff as sitting there too long and probably thought we must have eaten something. Very poor service.

Nice to see Da Marco in the top 50.

Congratulation for your memory....5 years ago, and you still remember ....

13 minutes ago, thai spice said:

Congratulation for your memory....5 years ago, and you still remember ....

You would be shocked, my memory goes even further back than 5 years, now that must impress you.

21 hours ago, stoney said:

Thanks for posting this, at last something that is really useful and informative. Will certainly use this when I return next month.

except its generally a bunch of shite .

the better restaurants are ranked lower than they should be and several on the list shouldnt be in there at all .

• Thumbs up 1

9 minutes ago, mulphy said:

except its generally a bunch of shite .

the better restaurants are ranked lower than they should be and several on the list shouldnt be in there at all .

Trip advisor should always be used with caution, some score higher simply because they are cheap rather than the food being high quality....

• Like 1

As the original poster says the list is subjective and based on a flawed Tripadvisor system. However in my opinion it provides good info for someone like me who is new to Pattaya. Upon my return next week I will use it to fine tune where I will eat. I have no interest in british style  food while there so this info suits me fine.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs up 3

3 hours ago, stoney said:

As the original poster says the list is subjective and based on a flawed Tripadvisor system. However in my opinion it provides good info for someone like me who is new to Pattaya. Upon my return next week I will use it to fine tune where I will eat. I have no interest in british style  food while there so this info suits me fine.

🤣🤣🤣