Latest News
  • Forum Donations:-
  • 15-12-2017- G

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
The Tongue

British Embassy Bangkok To Move

A nice bit of business in selling the embassy and land, supposedly the highest price ever paid for land in Thailand.

Move takes place in 2019.

Matt, the embassy is not moving to New Delhi...

https://www.gov.UK/government/news/british-embassy-bangkok-moves-to-a-new-home-for-the-21st-century

he he. a smart move in my book.hope they spend the proceeds wisely.now everything is outsourced ,they can downsize.

But farangs can’t own land 🤣🤣🤣

Its welcome reveunue .. 

Is that the one on Wireless road ? I thought it was sold many years ago already ?

1 hour ago, thai spice said:

Is that the one on Wireless road ? I thought it was sold many years ago already ?

A few farangs wish they never set foot in the place 🤣🤣🤣

But I love 💕 her 😎😎😂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Parky said:

But farangs can’t own land 🤣🤣🤣

Its welcome reveunue .. 

From a pure real estate perspective, in a few years they will regret giving up that chunk of sovereign dirt. It is in prime time, finite inventory territory and will continue to rise in value.

I am guessing due to location and surrounding towers it is a security concern. Much like the disposed of London, US Embassy that Trumpy was complaining about the bad deal on.

• Thumbs up 2

I would hate to be an applicant now.truely shocking.out source and treat people like dirt.

• Thumbs up 1

44 minutes ago, STARGAZER said:

From a pure real estate perspective, in a few years they will regret giving up that chunk of sovereign dirt. It is in prime time, finite inventory territory and will continue to rise in value.

I am guessing due to location and surrounding towers it is a security concern. Much like the disposed of London, US Embassy that Trumpy was complaining about the bad deal on.

The leaders of UK 🇬🇧 have the financial acumen of a benefit cheat ..

They don’t care their noses in trough 😎

Never sell , I agree if it’s big now won’t get lower ..

27 minutes ago, matthewh said:

I would hate to be an applicant now.truely shocking.out source and treat people like dirt.

Lots of scum apply , get their wife moonlighting .. a few wake up and sling the parasite... abuse is wrong , but a sociopath thinks it’s his right 😎

1 hour ago, matthewh said:

Is this your experience Matt because my experience at the British embassy and the outsourced VFS has been nothing less than professional and to time scale as per their expected turn around.

I am sorry that you have had less a positive experience than you expected.

Edited by The Tongue

1 hour ago, matthewh said:

Visa applications.for France here in Indonesia is outsourced to a private company . This  company just do the application documentation scrutiny, bexore transmitting the lot to the consulate who in any case does the final approval. And it is located in Jakarta, and physical visit is required on first application for biometrics (fingerprints).

The same company seems to also be the subcon for the Swiss consulate.

I guess most of the labor  intensive work is cheking all documents and liaising.with the applicant. So, outsourcing avoids excessive staff.at the consulate.

36 minutes ago, thai spice said:

Visa applications.for France here in Indonesia is outsourced to a private company . This  company just do the application documentation scrutiny, bexore transmitting the lot to the consulate who in any case does the final approval. And it is located in Jakarta, and physical visit is required on first application for biometrics (fingerprints).

The same company seems to also be the subcon for the Swiss consulate.

I guess most of the labor  intensive work is cheking all documents and liaising.with the applicant. So, outsourcing avoids excessive staff.at the consulate.

Most countries don’t want scum ..

2 hours ago, The Tongue said:

Is this your experience Matt because my experience at the British embassy and the outsourced VFS has been nothing less than professional and to time scale as per their expected turn around.

I am sorry that you have had less a positive experience than you expected.

im not knocking them and times are changing.i have always been treated honestly ,politely and fairly,just shocked at the big changes,all of a sudden.

If Boris Johnson is involved we will have been ripped off blind: :1221:

Diplomats and consular staff at the UK Embassy in Bangkok will move to new premises by 2019, following the sale of the existing site to a joint-venture consortium of Hongkong Land, a member of the Jardine Matheson Group, and Central Group for over £420 million.

This is the biggest land deal in Thai history and the FCO’s biggest ever sale. The proceeds will be reinvested in the FCO’s overseas estate and will fund 30-40 modernisation projects around the world that are necessary for security or health and safety reasons.

The new embassy building will be based in the AIA Sathorn Tower in the central business district from where diplomats will continue to promote UK interests in Thailand, a key partner on security and prosperity, as well as the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) and wider region.

Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson said:

Britain is a leading player on the global stage and I’m determined to ensure that our diplomats have all the necessary tools to do their job effectively. This includes working in modern, safe, fit for purpose premises not just in Bangkok but around the world.

Our workforce in Bangkok will be moving into a state-of-the-art premises by 2019 and this can only enhance our trade links and bilateral relations in Thailand and throughout the region.

7 hours ago, nampla69 said:

If Boris Johnson is involved we will have been ripped off blind: :1221:

Again, I think the root cause of this real estate transaction is security, protocol, and beuracracy. Nothing to do with idiotic inprudent  inept government fiscal policy or mgt.

The Brits, like the US, and most other countries have certain security protocols they must follow for embassy operations. Even though foreigners can't own the sacred dirt of Thailand, foreign Embassies are allowed to in order to operate with sovereignity.  Some do, and some don't. Some, like Sweeden have sold their dirt back to Thai govt and lease the space back because it made financial sense and I guess the Swedes aren't that focused on having sovereign dirt in Thailand.  And than in some cases plots of dirt that once passed security criteria may no longer pass because of development in the surrounding area.  I suspect that is what has happenned with the Brit dirt in Ploenchit. Much like the US Embassy in London moved in recent years.

I don't believe a foreign government is allowed to own land for anything else in Thailand, so if they need to move location of an Embassy for security reasons they also have to sell the dirt. A few years back the Japanese sold their dirt on corner of New Pretchaburi Rd and Asoke to Singha and moved their Embassy to Wireless Rd right down the street from the Gringo's. I think this is what has happenned in the case of the Brit Embassy here. And from what I hear, the new digs are going to be really nice!