Latest News
  • Forum Donations:-
  • 15-12-2017- G

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
cbk

20 pound note not kosher

Can anyone explain why the currency exchange wouldn't accept a 20 pound note with Adam Smith on the back and with a felt tip x over the 0 in the 20. The woman pointed to some poster and said I could spend in my own country but not exchange in Thailand. 

Obviously did not want a defaced note,her choice.

How many exchanges have you tried ?

9 minutes ago, Madusa said:

Obviously did not want a defaced note,her choice.

How many exchanges have you tried ?

That’s the right answer. No markings, Rips, tears are a no no - they want clean notes 

I always ask the bank for clean notes because this has happened a lot over the years, some countries are worse than others. Myanmar was the worst, would only accept virtually brand new dollar bills, even ones that had been folded were rejected...

If you arrived with a bundle of knackered notes only - you'd be pretty knackered 

2 minutes ago, Cat Crumpet said:

If you arrived with a bundle of knackered notes only - you'd be pretty knackered 

Not sure if it’s still the case, but when I went to Myanmar 5 years ago or so there was literally no other way to get cash, no ATM’s or anything. So if you didn’t bring enough with you, you were stuffed.

There was a couple ‘shops’ that would exchange the less than perfect notes, but they were hard to find and you got an appalling rate, something like half of true value.

1 minute ago, aw1 said:

Not sure if it’s still the case, but when I went to Myanmar 5 years ago or so there was literally no other way to get cash, no ATM’s or anything. So if you didn’t bring enough with you, you were stuffed.

There was a couple ‘shops’ that would exchange the less than perfect notes, but they were hard to find and you got an appalling rate, something like half of true value.

Exactly - and sometimes the atm's spit out dodgey notes - best to order new notes from your bank before you leave your country .  Got to be honest this has only been apparent to me over the last few years . Prior to that i never had any knocked back 

3 minutes ago, Cat Crumpet said:

Exactly - and sometimes the atm's spit out dodgey notes - best to order new notes from your bank before you leave your country .  Got to be honest this has only been apparent to me over the last few years . Prior to that i never had any knocked back 

Try handing over Scottish money "Sorry cannot"

• Haha 1

Never have a problem with Aussie notes as they are all plastic. Occasionally at one can come across a few damaged or torn ones but you have to try hard to damage them. 

2 hours ago, Madusa said:

Edited by cbk

43 minutes ago, cbk said:

Never have a problem with Aussie notes as they are all plastic. Occasionally at one can come across a few damaged or torn ones but you have to try hard to damage them. 

UK have plastic too - but not the 20's or 50's yet 

1 minute ago, Cat Crumpet said:

UK have plastic too - but not the 20's or 50's yet 

Backward country. Yeah had a few of the new 10s when I was there, better but so small. 

5 minutes ago, cbk said:

Backward country. Yeah had a few of the new 10s when I was there, better but so small. 

Yes and yes  

Reckon I must have about £400 worth of 20s with numbers or other writing  on that I have accumulated over the years. Keep saying next time I go back I will take them ......

When does the new £20 note come out?

Not declare itself gay, I mean when does it go into circulation?

7 minutes ago, Smiler said:

Reckon I must have about £400 worth of 20s with numbers or other writing  on that I have accumulated over the years. Keep saying next time I go back I will take them ......

When does the new £20 note come out?

Not declare itself gay, I mean when does it go into circulation?

Not 100% sure but i think 2020 

https://www.bankofengland.co.UK/banknotes/polymer-20-pound-note

Edited by Cat Crumpet

It’s their poragative - or was that Bobby Brown? I can’t temember.

• Thumbs up 1