Latest News
  • *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 31st of August... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 31st of August... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 31st of August... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 31st of August... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 31st of August... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 31st of August... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 31st of August... it would be great to see you if your in town...!

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
dcfc2007

New Club World Cup Plans

https://www.google.co.UK/amp/s/www.thesun.co.UK/sport/football/6335106/fifa-club-world-cup-gianni-infantino-plans-shelved/amp/

FIFA was planning a new four yearly club world cup with 24 teams and a huge prize fund including 80 million for the winner. The 24 teams would include 12 European clubs.

The sun are reporting the plans are to be shelved due to discontent from some within UEFA. However listening to the radio apparently it's back in the cards.

What do you think about this?

good idea as long as the participating clubs are there on merit .

Hard to see when to fit it in.

Can't be a World Cup or Euros year. The Africans have moved their nations competition to the Northern hemisphere summer but maybe Fifa could bung them some dosh just to have it every four years instead of two.

Twenty four teams means a group stage I guess.

Fifa are doing this as they are jealous of the money UEFA make from the champions league.

Imagine the cost to football fans too. You've spent a grand on your season ticket, a fair bit going to a few aways plus a fortune round Europe in the champions league and now a four week trip to China or somewhere in the summer. Most hardcore fans couldn't do it all and that means more tourists and quieter grounds.

Would teams take it very seriously or use it as a set of glorified pre season friendlies?

Don't think I'm in favour.

4 minutes ago, thinkingallowed said:

Can't be a World Cup or Euros year. The Africans have moved their nations competition to the Northern hemisphere summer but maybe Fifa could bung them some dosh just to have it every four years instead of two.

Fifa are doing this as they are jealous of the money UEFA make from the champions league.

Imagine the cost to football fans too. You've spent a grand on your season ticket, a fair bit going to a few aways plus a fortune round Europe in the champions league and now a four week trip to China or somewhere in the summer. Most hardcore fans couldn't do it all and that means more tourists and quieter grounds.

Would teams take it very seriously or use it as a set of glorified pre season friendlies?

With potential prize money alone of 80 million not to mention TV revenues and merchandise I would say the incentive is there for it to be taken seriously.

At first I was opposed to it but I'm starting to warm to the idea of potentially watch Corinthians against Real or Boca juniors against Man City. Still would like to see the plans fleshed out.

According to talksport this was being pushed by the big European clubs.

15 minutes ago, thinkingallowed said:

why would or should any african club be in it mate ?

if they are ranked as one of the 24 best clubs in the world fair enough but if not they have no right being there or its just a farce .

i hear any team who has won the european cup or champions league 3 times will be automatically selected .

5 minutes ago, mulphy said:

if they are ranked as one of the 24 best clubs in the world fair enough but if not they have no right being there or its just a farce .

i hear any team who has won the european cup or champions league 3 times will be automatically selected .

Why are any African or Asian nations in the coming world cup? Without representatives from around the globe it just becomes the champions league and a few South American teams.

Plus more importantly there's a lot of top European teams with African players which is what I was thinking about.

20 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

With potential prize money alone of 80 million not to mention TV revenues and merchandise I would say the incentive is there for it to be taken seriously.

At first I was opposed to it but I'm starting to warm to the idea of potentially watch Corinthians against Real or Boca juniors against Man City. Still would like to see the plans fleshed out.

According to talksport this was being pushed by the big European clubs.

I think you'll need a bigger squad that season and the season after, assuming it's every four years, to be able to rest players and still compete in your league and champions league. £80 million would soon start to disappear.

15 minutes ago, mulphy said:

I'm hoping that means after we win number six on Saturday Liverpool and Liverpool reserves will qualify.

2 minutes ago, thinkingallowed said:

I think you'll need a bigger squad that season and the season after, assuming it's every four years, to be able to rest players and still compete in your league and champions league. £80 million would soon start to disappear.

It's still very much up in the air as to whether it will go ahead or not. The football calendar is already very full so it would be tough to find dates that suit clubs from every association. 

There already is a club world cup which is a non-event so what's to suggest this would be any different. Apparently middle eastern backers are behind the idea.

20 minutes ago, thinkingallowed said:

Why are any African or Asian nations in the coming world cup? Without representatives from around the globe it just becomes the champions league and a few South American teams.

Plus more importantly there's a lot of top European teams with African players which is what I was thinking about.

because thats the flawed lay out fifa have decided on for their world cup .

there are teams qualifying from countries that arent in the top 100 footballing nations .

how can that be about letting the fans see the best footballers in the world when thats what it should be about .

24 minutes ago, mulphy said:

If it's too be passed they would need support from the various regional associations that make up FIFA. I also believe it's only fair to see at least one club from each association included. It would make for more interesting viewing for the neutrals.

Just now, mulphy said:

because thats the flawed lay out fifa have decided on for their world cup .

there are teams qualifying from countries that arent in the top 100 footballing nations .

how can that be about letting the fans see the best footballers in the world when thats what it should be about .

Aye but they have to sell it around the world.

4 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

If it's too be passed they would need support from the various regional associations that make up FIFA. I also believe it's only fair to see at least one club from each association included. It would make for more interesting viewing for the neutrals.

sorry mate but i dont want to see australia or new zealand or canada or jamaica or guatemala in any world cup .

nor would i want to see any of their club sides in a club world cup .

Sorry for the thread f**k but I was talking  with a mate the other day and we were wondering  if England were the only country to win the world cup who's team didn't consist of a majority of Catholics. Germany is the only other nation that might have.

8 minutes ago, mulphy said:

sorry mate but i dont want to see australia or new zealand or canada or jamaica or guatemala in any world cup .

nor would i want to see any of their club sides in a club world cup .

It wouldn't be a world cup if it didn't include clubs/countries from all over the world. They are their on the merit that they best other nations in their region. If we were to follow your logic we would have to make a worldwide qualification competition to make sure all nations are their on merit. FIFA world rankings are too unreliable to go on that.

4 minutes ago, thinkingallowed said:

Sorry for the thread f**k but I was talking  with a mate the other day and we were wondering  if England were the only country to win the world cup who's team didn't consist of a majority of Catholics. Germany is the only other nation that might have.

Strange convo but I would say you're right. I'm sure the south American sides are majority Catholic, then of course Spain and italy would be also.

I admit to not knowing the answer to this. Would the South American teams be able to complete in a serious competition against top European clubs?

It seems 90% of players for their national sides play in Europe.

5 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

It wouldn't be a world cup if it didn't include clubs/countries from all over the world. They are their on the merit that they best other nations in their region. If we were to follow your logic we would have to make a worldwide qualification competition to make sure all nations are their on merit. FIFA world rankings are too unreliable to go on that.

and thats what it should be ,it should be worldwide knock out cup ties and then the last 32 in the competition should play in a sectional world cup show piece 

5 minutes ago, thinkingallowed said:

I admit to not knowing the answer to this. Would the South American teams be able to complete in a serious competition against top European clubs?

yes top argentinian clubs especially .

3 minutes ago, thinkingallowed said:

It would certainly be competitive. The likes of boca juniors, Corinthians and fluminese are quality sides. They usually always have cracking youngsters that go on to play in Europe. Would they have enough to beat the top European sides? I'm not sure they would.

11 minutes ago, thinkingallowed said:

how do we know the majority of england players werent catholics unless your saying we can tell by how ugly they look .

2 minutes ago, mulphy said:

and thats what it should be ,it should be worldwide knock out cup ties and then the last 32 in the competition should play in a sectional world cup show piece 

Interesting concept but I quite like the world cup in it's current format.

You will enjoy the proposed World Nation's League if it goes ahead.

3 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

Interesting concept but I quite like the world cup in it's current format.

You will enjoy the proposed World Nation's League if it goes ahead.

well its the only way to actually have the best 32 nations at the world cup finals .

Just now, mulphy said:

well its the only way to actually have the best 32 nations at the world cup finals .

I think the concept of the world cup is that it contains the best sides from the member associations.

4 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

I think the concept of the world cup is that it contains the best sides from the member associations.

it does my way too if they are good enough they will  make the last 32 .