Latest News
  • The Latest News
  • The lottery
  • Good news for all the lottery syndicate players - - - Yet again the luckydip tickets wins....

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

mulphy

Pattaya Restaurants - Reviews

Can you smoke in the Restaurant?

i did not ask, but saw this sign on the window. dont know if they are enforcing this, but they do have 2 outside areas where smoking would be no problem.

post-33115-0-60405600-1420092522_thumb.j

I like this post mate, please do some more

okay, i will try to rustle up another one for you :-)

Will put some places up that might not deserve their own thread (or not yet?) as they are not that special or a bit out of the way for the average BM. Further I am a bit too lazy to do a full review. :schla23:

Let's start with a new kid on the block darkside: Pepper and salt.

Locate on top of Soi Khao Talo in the deepest darkside - just drive up the soi to the crossing where Kik bar is located, turn right past Samorn Bar and The bird cage and a little bit further you will find it. If you have reached the temple you went a bit too far.

A bit upmarket for the darkside, also pricewise but not expensive. Nicely decorated in black and red colours, open air next to the road but not noisy.

The menu is a bit different: not only can you find steaks, pasta, salads and Thai food, but there is a selection of Dutch, Chinese and Indonesian grub as well. A pity there is no description of the ingredients in English. Might have to ask the waiter for details.

I had the steak with blue cheese sauce, came with fries or some other choices of side dishes and some tasty potato salad ball.

post-111-0-07085900-1436537029_thumb.jpg

Desert was the red berry fruits with ice cream. Could have been more berries than apples and grapes.

post-111-0-58940400-1436537066_thumb.jpg

Bill came to 570 with a small bottle of Leo and an espresso. Not bad.

Nice touch was the cold towel after the food.

Was there twice and both times it was busy compared to many empty places on the DS.

Will be back for sure.

Will put some places up that might not deserve their own thread (or not yet?) as they are not that special or a bit out of the way for the average BM. Further I am a bit too lazy to do a full review. :schla23:

Locate on top of Soi Khao Talo in the deepest darkside - just drive up the soi to the crossing where Kik bar is located, turn right past Samorn Bar and The bird cage and a little bit further you will find it. If you have reached the temple you went a bit too far.

A bit upmarket for the darkside, also pricewise but not expensive. Nicely decorated in black and red colours, open air next to the road but not noisy.

The menu is a bit different: not only can you find steaks, pasta, salads and Thai food, but there is a selection of Dutch, Chinese and Indonesian grub as well. A pity there is no description of the ingredients in English. Might have to ask the waiter for details.

I had the steak with blue cheese sauce, came with fries or some other choices of side dishes and some tasty potato salad ball.

attachicon.gifPepper&Salt 1 (Medium).JPG

Desert was the red berry fruits with ice cream. Could have been more berries than apples and grapes.

attachicon.gifPepper&Salt 2 (Medium).JPG

Was there twice and both times it was busy compared to many empty places on the DS.

Will be back for sure.

Thanks for the report, I drive past this place often. Always looks busy and will need to give it a try when I get back.

Will be back for sure.

Looks good VFM,

Will be back for sure.

Thanks mate, had some mixed reviews on this place. It's operated by the same guy who has Bali Breeze in Jomtien, their Indo food is good so probably good here also.

Cheers

Next place on the darkside: Herbs.

Located in Soi Khao Noi, driving up from the railway turn left at the 7-11 on top of Khao Noi, drive past the Blue Moose, Dukes lounge and at the triangular crossing with the family mart you will find it to your right.

Thought it was a place with Thai food only and when I saw all the farangs sitting outside I thought the beer must be pretty cheap.

First point I was wrong - some burgers, chicken steak, a lots more is on the menu, mainly British food I believe. Don't remember exactly, has been a while.

Second point I was right. Prices are similar to 7-11.

Nice to sit outside but a bit hot if there is no breeze. I usually sit inside with the AC on, but the place looks a little bit - not well appointed?

Anyway, what my GF and I liked there was the Chicken Tikka Massala. I am not a curry expert but this stuff tasted just perfect.

Would some of you try it and give me feedback?

Those looking for tasty food and cheap prices will become a fan of this place. Looking for ambiance? Go somewhere else.

post-111-0-76600000-1436538912_thumb.jpg

Let's go just a bit further down the road. Max and Moritz.

This place would deserve its own thread. Maybe I will do one later. Actually it is my favorite place on the darkside.

If you have found Herbs as described above, just take the right turn and drive 20 m further. There used to be a French restaurant before.

I like the beer garden atmosphere and of course the German food. And there is only German food, unfortunately. The owners can't find a decent Thai cook, so they just don't want to serve some mediocre stuff.

My favorites are the schnitzel Gypsy style or with mushrooms, served with excellent fried potatoes or fries and a tasty side salad.

post-111-0-42986300-1436539894_thumb.jpg

The sauce is now served seperate. The schnitzle looks big but is actually very thin. Anyway a large portion to make you feel full.

The beef roll with red cabbage and dumplings are second to none. Meat balls with capers - delicious (Königsberger Klopse).

I usually drink wheat beer but they have the famous Flensburger beer as draft as well.

Every Wednesdays is pork knuckle special as well as roasted chicken. You need to pre-order.

Sundays are Schnitzel day - the dish you see in the pic is around 140 or 150 Baht only if I remember correctly.

Mondays closed.

Try the meat balls at 40 Baht each, I usually have a couple as takeaway. New are now the bread roll with sausage salad. If available they have some Matjes herring on a roll as well.

Let's go over to Jomtien - to the Rompho market Bar area opposite Soi 7 on 2nd road.

There are 2 Italian restaurants - one a bit more upmarket and this is the one I am writing about (forgot the name).

Prices are rather high but so seems to be the quality and the taste is worth it.

Been there only twice.

First time I had some noodle dish (canneloni) which was excellent.

post-111-0-03178800-1436540872_thumb.jpg

Yesterday I selected the Gnocci allawhateverthisnamewas with a tomato sauce and mozarella cheese (250 Baht), plus a mixed salad (140 Baht) .

post-111-0-27299000-1436541457_thumb.jpg

Again subherb.

Small portions but tasted very fresh and leaves you space for some starter or desserts.

The free taster (some pizza bread / white bread with a paste of - I have to ask again what is inside) is delicious - a bit sour from the vinegar, makes a difference to the herb butter you get at other places.

Leo beer was 90 Bt for a small bottle, espresso 60 Bt.

The pizza that a lady ordered at the nearby table looked huge and fantastic - will have to try it.

Maybe Rob Jones had a visit already?

Let's go over to Jomtien - to the Rompho market Bar area opposite Soi 7 on 2nd road.

There are 2 Italian restaurants - one a bit more upmarket and this is the one I am writing about (forgot the name).

Prices are rather high but so seems to be the quality and the taste is worth it.

Been there only twice.

First time I had some noodle dish (canneloni) which was excellent.

attachicon.gifRompho 20141210 (Medium).JPG

Yesterday I selected the Gnocci allawhateverthisnamewas with a tomato sauce and mozarella cheese (250 Baht), plus a mixed salad (140 Baht) .

attachicon.gifDSCN4050 (Medium).JPG

Again subherb.

Small portions but tasted very fresh and leaves you space for some starter or desserts.

The free taster (some pizza bread / white bread with a paste of - I have to ask again what is inside) is delicious - a bit sour from the vinegar, makes a difference to the herb butter you get at other places.

Leo beer was 90 Bt for a small bottle, espresso 60 Bt.

The pizza that a lady ordered at the nearby table looked huge and fantastic - will have to try it.

Maybe Rob Jones had a visit already?

is 90 b for a small leo the most expensive price for that beer in the whole town ?

Huay Yai might be too far out for most of you. Anybody living in this area?

I tried the Baan Huay Yai restaurant for the first time. You will find it driving till the end of the railway road, turn left into Soi Huay Yai, some 3 km past the temple and a bit further on the right side.

post-111-0-18013300-1436542071_thumb.jpg

Looks like a Thai place only but has some farang food as well, such as steaks, pasta, cordon bleu.

post-111-0-47247700-1436543122_thumb.jpg

Must be hundreds or restaurants like this in Pattaya, but few feature a hughe palm tree wrapped by some other tree and a great view to some tranquille former rice fields.

post-111-0-73154100-1436543297_thumb.jpg

post-111-0-44104900-1436543352_thumb.jpg

We had fried plakapong with garlic, 350 Bt. The fish was already prepared so you just could pick the good stuff and eat it without working too much.

post-111-0-05803600-1436543436_thumb.jpg

Furthermore was some somtum with mango (80 Bt) for GF and a winged bean salad with (undercooked) shrimps (130 ? Bt).

Large Leo 100 Bt.

post-111-0-82493400-1436543565_thumb.jpg

Some live music (duo), otherwise the typical simple roof/wooden furniture Thai restaurant.

post-111-0-99580500-1436543638_thumb.jpg

Other than the undercooked shrimps there was nothing to complain about and the food was nice.

What stood out and will make me go back is the feeling to sit under that huge tree and looking over the fields.

post-111-0-96249700-1436543322_thumb.jpg

Thanks very much for the reviews.

I like a curry so Herbs will be getting a visit on my next trip as our house is just around the corner from there.

Middle of Soi 7 next to the Pig & Whistle.

I rate it highly myself,regular grub at reasonable prices.You get what you pay for.

Great grub and they do lovely sandwiches.

Fantastic reviews and a welcome return - thank you

The food looked all good and I look forward to more reviews of you have time to post -

Couldn't convince you to visit one of the before mentioned places? Hope this one will get your attention. It definately got mine.

This could be even the place that makes Rob Traveller and Global Jones stay here.

Do you like thin crisp pizza? Do you you like a fresh breeze? Do you like the sound of waves? Want to feel like being on a holiday?

Then visit the Drifters Cafe.

post-111-0-41879800-1437144068_thumb.jpg

Not a full restaurant but the menu has plenty choices of pizza, 2 spaghetti dishes, several pies and 3 or 4 selections of Thai food: Tom Yum Gung, Massaman Gai and Paneng Gai.

post-111-0-07599800-1437144291_thumb.jpg

The pizza was fantastic. Had the spicy pepperoni with blue cheese, 290 Baht. Not really large and the cheapest one starts at 220 Bt, but worth it.

post-111-0-46980000-1437144413_thumb.jpg

Made in a wood fired oven:

post-111-0-08056900-1437144365_thumb.jpg

GF had the Tom Yum Gung, spicy but very tasty.

post-111-0-07023300-1437145766_thumb.jpg

But it isn't the food why I will be back.

Sitting almost in the water with the waves trying to flood the place:

post-111-0-05559000-1437144621_thumb.jpg

post-111-0-60289600-1437144612_thumb.jpg

Nice view to Jomtien and Pattaya:

post-111-0-21902200-1437145339_thumb.jpg

Cocktails are nice as well: wanna Margarita (180 Bt, 650 for a jug)?

post-111-0-32448600-1437145533_thumb.jpg

post-111-0-22703900-1437144537_thumb.jpg

post-111-0-71876600-1437145110_thumb.jpg

I felt like being on holiday in Pattaya.

post-111-0-85293700-1437145446_thumb.jpg

Wait, that's wrong.

I felt like being on holiday in Thailand.

The Drifters Cafe is near the Glass House in Na Jomtien.

Take one Soi north of the Glass house, drive to the beach and turn right, a stone throw further and you are there.

Coordinates: 12.851512, 100.900128

It is also a good place to just sip some cocktails or beers after having a dinner in one of the nearby restaurants.

Nice review mate, looks well worth seeking out.

Thanks.

It reminds me on my time living on Koh Samui. Always enjoyed a meal or drink on the beach.

Here in Pattaya such kind of places are limited due to the beach roads. Naklua is one option, the others would be Walking Street were you sit a bit elevated and not really secluded and then there would be the Pratamnak area and Na Jomtien.

...It reminds me on my time living on Koh Samui. Always enjoyed a meal or drink on the beach...etc.

It actually made me realize that I'm not using places like this often enough while I'm there. I'll rectify that when I get back. :)

Been there quite a few times, certainly is a lovely place (quite small) to chill.

Went today to Pepper&Salt around 19:00h, counted 22 customers. Half an hour later all tables were occupied, around 33 customers. Any other places that are that busy on the darkside?

GF had the spareribs, was ok. They don't do the usual BBQ sauce but a similar to Thai style chilli sauce. The meat had lots of fat.

post-111-0-68753600-1437234499_thumb.jpg

I chose the Indonesian dish which consists of 8 different tasters, such as a meat ball, sate, beef and different style of chicken and you can choose between noodles, plain rice, yellow rice or fried rice.

post-111-0-57072000-1437234507_thumb.jpg

Very delicous!

Each dish came at 275 Baht. Downside of the popularity was the long waiting time for the food. Better come early or late on a weekend. Tuesdays are closed.

Don't forget to look at the daily specials board.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.