Latest News
  • *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 31st of August... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 31st of August... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 31st of August... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 31st of August... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 31st of August... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 31st of August... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 31st of August... it would be great to see you if your in town...!

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
Bruce Mangosteen

Visa For China, Need Information

A business associate of mine has asked me to arrange to come to China (Beijing) to visit him and do some sales calls. I'll have to get a visa.

First, has anyone gotten a visa to China in Bangkok before? What was the process like? Do you have any suggestions or warnings about pitfalls to avoid?

Also, does anyone know of a visa service in Pattaya who can do this? I contacted one I found on the internet and they said they could do it, but I'd rather not just give a random Thai company money and expect them to perform a service, especially if it also means giving them my passport. Let me know if you've worked with a Thai company that can provide this service.

Thanks for any help! :)

1. Basic Documents

(1) Passport

Original passport with at least six months of remaining validity and blank visa pages, and a photocopy of the passport's data page and the photo page if it is separate.

(2) Visa Application Form and Photo

One completed Visa Application Form with a recently-taken colour passport photo (bare-head, full face) against a light background attached

(3) Proof of legal stay or residence status (applicable to those not applying for the visa in their country of citizenship)

If you are not applying for the visa in the country of your citizenship, you must provide the original and photocopy of your valid visa or certificate of stay, residence, employment or student status of the country where you are currently staying.

2. Types of Chinese visas

Chinese visas fall into the types of diplomatic visas, courtesy visas, public service visas and ordinary visas. Ordinary visas can be further classified as the following categories:

M Visa

Documents on the commercial activity issued by a trade partner in China, or trade fair invitation relevant entity or individual. The invitation letter should contain:

a) Information on the applicant (full name, gender, date of birth, etc.)

B) Information on the planned visit (purpose of visit, arrival and departure dates, place(s) to be visited, relations between the applicant and the inviting entity or individual, financial source for expenditures)

c) Information on the inviting entity or individual (name, contact telephone number, address, official stamp, signature of the legal representative or the inviting individual)

I got a visa rejected earlier this year because I did not send in physical copies of my flight info and where I was staying, just make sure you are thorough with it all.

That sounds simple :startle:

The process is not that difficult when attempted from your own country. I have no experience of attempting to apply for a Chinese visa while resident in another country.

Like all visas if you supply all the relevant information it's easy enough.

1. Basic Documents...etc.

I was able to locate the consulate website and found this data. I was kinda hoping for first-hand accounts of people doing it here, but thanks just the same.

I got a visa rejected earlier this year because I did not send in physical copies of my flight info and where I was staying, just make sure you are thorough with it all.

Yeah, they are strict with that I've heard.

I'd go with a travel agent in bangkok that deals with them. If no one has a recommendation I would take one out of the bkk post. Buy a ticket from them they will sort you out.

I thought of this possibility Mike, and it's a good idea. I have a travel agent I use here in Pattaya (Tu Travel, southwest corner of Second Rd. and Pattaya Dtai); thought I'd start with her and see if she could do it or knew anyone who could. There are some pretty big travel agencies here these days.

I thought of this possibility Mike, and it's a good idea. I have a travel agent I use here in Pattaya (Tu Travel, southwest corner of Second Rd. and Pattaya Dtai); thought I'd start with her and see if she could do it or knew anyone who could. There are some pretty big travel agencies here these days.

Admitily iv only done a china visa in HK and SIngapore but always use the China Travel Service which is the offical recognized traval agent for China. They have a Bangkok branch

www.ctshk.com/.../branch_oversea.htm

Address, 559 Yaowaraj Road, Sampuntawong, Bangkok, 10100, Thailand. Tel, ( 66-2) 2260041, ...

Admitily iv only done a china visa in HK and SIngapore but always use the China Travel Service which is the offical recognized traval agent for China. They have a Bangkok branch

www.ctshk.com/.../branch_oversea.htm

Address, 559 Yaowaraj Road, Sampuntawong, Bangkok, 10100, Thailand. Tel, ( 66-2) 2260041, ...

Cheers mate, I'll get right on that website. :)

I've had over 20 visa from the Chinese embassy in BKK up to last year and then all shit hit the fan, the last 2 I've had to send to an agent in London to get the visa's from Chinese Embassy in London.

I used to do it in a day, get at the embassy at 9am with all the form and documents, get a number and wait to be called to one of the counter, rush processing and pay and pick it up between 3 and 4pm, never had any problems. Then earlier this year it just got ridiculous, I'll see if I can remember everything that was needed;

Copy of Thai work permit (needed even if going as a tourist, no work permit no visa, no exceptions)

Copy of Thai Visa

Copy of passport and all visa of previous visits to China

Letter of Invitation

Confirmation of flight bookings

Confirmation of hotel bookings

Letter of employment

Bank statements going back 6 months

health Insurance details

I'm sure there where other things that I can't remember, I was at the embassy on the first day they changed the rules, 1 July, 2013 and it was ******* chaos, I tried on 2 further occasions to get visa's there and was refused despite as I said getting 20 odd Visa's there before.

you might be better off trying to get one in CM according to http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/661818-china-visa-problems-be-warned/

All I can say is good luck as they are always changing the goalposts and half the time don't even seem to be sure themselves. Also as a US citizen be prepared to pay more

2013_08_22_09_26_32_Bangkok_zps12b4a518.

Edited by LatinLover

I done one recently. 5 working days / app 175 USD.

Handled by my secretary so cant give you exact details, but as long as your docs are in order - shouldnt be a problem.

I've had over 20 visa from the Chinese embassy in BKK up to last year and then all shit hit the fan, the last 2 I've had to send to an agent in London to get the visa's from Chinese Embassy in London...

Funny, I had a friend recommend that I send my passport over to a service in the US to get it done.

...Copy of Thai work permit (needed even if going as a tourist, no work permit no visa, no exceptions)...

How the feck can they demand THAT?! Not arguing with you because I have no data, but it sounds mighty illogical. I can see it for a business visa possibly, which I won't need.

...Letter of employment...

I'll be sure to write myself one. :rolleyes:

...you might be better off trying to get one in CM according to http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/661818-china-visa-problems-be-warned/

Good grief! Sounds like an email to the consulate might be in order.

All I can say is good luck as they are always changing the goalposts and half the time don't even seem to be sure themselves. Also as a US citizen be prepared to pay more..etc.

My associate is paying my expenses. In fact, his wire just hit my account tonight. :thumbup:

I done one recently. 5 working days / app 175 USD.

Handled by my secretary so cant give you exact details, but as long as your docs are in order - shouldnt be a problem.

How much would she charge me to take care of the visa? :)

Funny, I had a friend recommend that I send my passport over to a service in the US to get it done.

I would back that option

How the feck can they demand THAT?! Not arguing with you because I have no data, but it sounds mighty illogical. I can see it for a business visa possibly, which I won't need.

This was the issue that was causing most aggro on the last 3 occasions that I tried, you had backpackers who where clearly tourists and retirees living in Thailand wanting to go as tourists yet they where being demanded copies of work permits which they obviously didn't have/need, yet they where still refused due to no WP. Don't know if they have changed this by know, they may well have due to all the problems it was creating but at the time the response to backpackers was they should have got the visa in their own country and retirees living in Thailand where supposed to get the visa from their own contries.

My associate is paying my expenses. In fact, his wire just hit my account tonight. :thumbup:

I would back that option

This was the issue that was causing most aggro on the last 3 occasions that I tried, you had backpackers who where clearly tourists and retirees living in Thailand wanting to go as tourists yet they where being demanded copies of work permits which they obviously didn't have/need, yet they where still refused due to no WP. Don't know if they have changed this by know, they may well have due to all the problems it was creating but at the time the response to backpackers was they should have got the visa in their own country and retirees living in Thailand where supposed to get the visa from their own contries.

According to the page you referred me to, a sign at the Chinese embassy says you only need a WP if you have one.

2013_08_22_09_26_18_Bangkok_zps550838a9.

I'll email my friend and ask him about his experience sending his passport to the US. I also have an email in to the agency recommended by BM flog.

Overall it sounds like getting it in the US would be the best option. Effin' weird, can't just decide to go to China after you leave your own country?

It's not an emergency for me to get to China. I might try getting the visa here first and use the US visa service as an option.

I would do it in HK like I did.

Someone on the Thaivisa thread linked by LL mentioned that. Fly to HK and use a visa service to get the Chinese visa.

Not being in possession of your passport while in Thailand is a risk if its out of the country, although a small one.

Agree, hence this thread. My friend here in Thailand recommended sending my passport to a US-based service a couple of weeks ago, but I'm exploring other options and consider that one less desirable. He told me that his associate got his visa here and had a hassle, only ended up getting a single-entry visa.

Its common for consulates to require residency in the country you are applying in. A work permit is proof of residency. Even the Thai consulate in manila requires residence before giving a visa.

Then I'd have the same issue in HK, no? I can show residency here, such as with a certificate of residency gotten from the condo office. Did that when I got my retirement visa.

Looks like a pain to get one, imagine a work permit if you get some business would be even tougher.

Worked there for 3 months without a WP in 2003. Not sure that you need one if you're employed by a foreign company, just the business visa is enough I think. I've worked in maybe 10 countries and never had a WP in any of them.

I have had two business visas for China this year, both from the Chinese Embassy in London so not much use to the op. That said first one was through an agent because I needed it in a studidly short time and then got just a bit of minor hassle on the last which I sorted myself.

Incident I did witness going through imm. at Shanghai was an Asian couple from somewhere getting "ITINARY ITINARY" yelled at them and their passports being handed back. They had to go and write dates and names of places they were going to visit because they had visitor visas.. Typical rude border official full of his own importance - not my favorite bunch of people right now.

Its illegal and the reason for the crackdown

Have you gotten WPs in all the countries you've worked in? I never remember anyone I've worked with saying they did this. BTW, I think it was the Thaivisa source that said the reason for the crackdown was English teachers living there and working without work permits.

For extended periods of time yes in other cases I was attending 'Business Meetings' ;) wink wink

I think in some countries there's a loophole if you can be considered to be a "supervisor" of locals doing specific work. That would generally apply to me, because my customers (or their contractors) generally do the donkey work of installing cabinets and pulling cables.

Never heard of that almost all places if you work you need a work permit by the law

As I say, I've never given it much thought. Never ran into a situation where anyone was concerned about it, be it customers, employers or co-workers.

I mean, what's their definition of "work"? I "work" for my US-based company every day, everywhere I am, answering emails and phone calls, etc. But I don't draw a salary from anyone accept that very same US-based company. Your "'Business Meetings' ;) wink wink" were "work" in the sense that you were employed and getting paid for attending those meetings, why would that be an excuse?

I'm turnin' yo' white ass in! :D

I did a quick search and the crackdown does seem to be aimed primarily at foreigners who live and work in China. That isn't to say that I wouldn't be working illegally though.

Let's put it this way: I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. My contact over there says that once we get going he thinks he can keep me busier than a dog trying to bury shit in a marble floor. If that happens I suppose I might be faced with this issue. Hasn't happened yet though. Fingers crossed! angelic001.gif

According to the page you referred me to, a sign at the Chinese embassy says you only need a WP if you have one.

2013_08_22_09_26_18_Bangkok_zps550838a9.

May have relaxed their requirment on this since I last tried in BKK, it was causing all kinds of grief the last 3 times I tried.

Not being in possession of your passport while in Thailand is a risk if its out of the country, although a small one.

Good point, I run 2 UK passports simultaneously and keep the one with my Thai Visa while sending the other to the UK, not an option if you only have a single passport. Not sure if the US lets you have 2 passports ?