Latest News
  • *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 31st of August... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 31st of August... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 31st of August... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 31st of August... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 31st of August... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 31st of August... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 31st of August... it would be great to see you if your in town...!

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
som nam na

Requirements For Naturalisation As A British Citizen

Just had a look on the UK BA website and there seem to be seven requirements you need to meet before you apply:

• you are aged 18 or over; and
  • you are of sound mind; and
  • you can communicate in English, Welsh or Scottish Gaelic to an acceptable degree; and
  • you have sufficient knowledge of life in the United Kingdom; and
  • you are of good character; and
  • you are the husband, wife or civil partner of a British citizen; and
  • you meet the residential requirements;

In order to demonstrate the residential requirements for naturalisation you need to:

• have been resident in the United Kingdom for at least three years (this is known as the residential qualifying period); and
  • have been present in the United Kingdom three years before the date of your application; and
  • have not spent more than 270 days outside the United Kingdom during the three-year period; and
  • have not spent more than 90 days outside the United Kingdom in the last 12 months of the three-year period; and
  • have not been in breach of the immigration rules at any stage during the three-year period. (She has ILR status)
  • You must be free from immigration time restrictions on the day you make your application.

Surely it can't be that easy? Would appreciate comments and advice from BMs who have experience in obtaining naturalistion (British Passport) for a civil (TG) partner who has an ILR and passed the life in the UK test.

Edited by som nam na

It is that easy obviously after the time period she has to live in U.K with a full visa then you just make your application and wait for acceptance and an appointment for a bullshit certificate,like an awards ceremony.

For a spouse it was three years with full visa.Now I don't know maybe they've changed the goalposts....

Edited by roomark

The goalposts are being moved on the 28th October.

For an application for citizenship to be considered under the pre 28 October requirements, the application will need to be received by UK Visas & Immigration by Friday 25 October 2013 (the last working day before the change). We do not receive a postal delivery on Saturday or Sunday.

Guest Mr Pastry

Just had a look on the UK BA website and there seem to be seven requirements you need to meet before you apply:

• you can communicate in English, Welsh or Scottish Gaelic to an acceptable degree; and

In order to demonstrate the residential requirements for naturalisation you need to:

• have been resident in the United Kingdom for at least three years (this is known as the residential qualifying period); and
  • have been present in the United Kingdom three years before the date of your application; and
  • have not spent more than 270 days outside the United Kingdom during the three-year period; and
  • have not spent more than 90 days outside the United Kingdom in the last 12 months of the three-year period; and
  • have not been in breach of the immigration rules at any stage during the three-year period. (She has ILR status)
  • You must be free from immigration time restrictions on the day you make your application.

Surely it can't be that easy? Would appreciate comments and advice from BMs who have experience in obtaining naturalistion (British Passport) for a civil (TG) partner who has an ILR and passed the life in the UK test.

We got in before the changes although it was about the qualifications issue, and Mrs P has City & Guilds level 1 . The application was pretty straight forward, including the sponsor/references required. She received the letter of acceptance and will swear oath to the Queen and Country in a couple of weeks at the local Town Hall registry Office. The Guidance notes look more daunting than the application form itself, but she ticked all the boxes, and we did not have to add any thing in the space for explanations. It took 4 weeks from submitting the application and the £874 fee to receiving the letter and the documents back, saying that her application for naturalisation was successful

If she already has ILR and has passed her Life in the UK test, then it's probably the time to apply. The new rules will require Life in the UK and a B1 language qualification from an approved examination body.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

It's not TRUST ME.

My Wife did the ESOL course and got 4 units in English so no need to do the life in the UK test.

Might as well be life in Pakistan test, for all it's worth.

I don't think that it will be possible to apply for citizenship with out passing Life in the UK test under the new rules

just sent off application for naturalisation 2 weeks ago.

applied under married but is in middle of divorce proceedings....also could have went the 5 plus years route.

got ESOL level 1...3 years ago but never studied via college again.

prices and requirements do change at end October......paid 60 quid to have it vetted before they sent off...should be a certainty.

if she had to do any English test/s now....she'd have no chance as never improved,

after a certain time span you can apply whether you have passed the life in the UK test or not the wife has discretionary leave to remain and we can apply after 6 continuous years of this type of leave to remain

Just applied for naturalisation for mrs flash. It is straight forward but went to the checking service anyway.

They said it could take 4 months but good to see Mr P got his Mrs application back in 4 weeks.

Just the passport to get after this and then she is free to dump me! :-)

Just applied for naturalisation for mrs flash. It is straight forward but went to the checking service anyway.

They said it could take 4 months but good to see Mr P got his Mrs application back in 4 weeks.

Just the passport to get after this and then she is free to dump me! :-)

It also took 4 weeks for Mrs D's application to be processed.

My wife's was submitted on 6th October. Have been advised that due to high volume of applications, 8 weeks processing is to be expected. Fingers crossed

My wife's was submitted on 6th October. Have been advised that due to high volume of applications, 8 weeks processing is to be expected. Fingers crossed

I suppose that makes sense as everyone in the position to apply does so to avoid the new rules.

I suppose that makes sense as everyone in the position to apply does so to avoid the new rules.

Yep, and comes from my mate who is an ex UK boarder agency employee now running his own immigration company. He has seen the turnaround increase from 3 weeks to 8 weeks. He's never been busier!!

Guest Mr Pastry

Good luck with that, I am sure she will be successful

Good luck with that, I am sure she will be successful

Cheers. The rules are the rules and it's frustrating to have to go through the process but 'what it is, is what is'. The UKBA is correct in screening in comers to the UK but fir genuine applicants like ourselves it's not only costly but bureaucratic - my wife cannot understand the paperwork involved but appreciates the need and in that basis I think she's more than deserving having met the test on at least two earlier iccasions

Ach... who wants to live in this miserable toilet. Rip up your applications and head to the Sunshine.

Rich, I tend to make very important decisions with a different approach than you do. I wish you well and hope to enjoy your cuisine next time I'm in Thailand

Rich, I tend to make very important decisions with a different approach than you do. I wish you well and hope to enjoy your cuisine next time I'm in Thailand

Cheers... I just lose money and get pissed.

But it's very enjoyable :fun:

See you in Fun Town.

Cheers... I just lose money and get pissed.

Cool. I've ad a couple tonight, f**k it I'm coming with you.......

But it's very enjoyable :fun:

See you in Fun Town.

Cheers. The rules are the rules and it's frustrating to have to go through the process but 'what it is, is what is'. The UKBA is correct in screening in comers to the UK but fir genuine applicants like ourselves it's not only costly but bureaucratic - my wife cannot understand the paperwork involved but appreciates the need and in that basis I think she's more than deserving having met the test on at least two earlier iccasions

Good luck indeed, I wish you and 'her indoors' well

Ok so not so simple. The form seems to require either a marriage certificate or a civil partnership certificate. We have neither. The Mrs came in UK and obtained ILR status on the basis of "unmarried partner" status. We had been living together in Abu Dhabi and Japan for 4 years and that was enough to qualify. Has any BM experience of obtaining naturalization of an unmarried partner? Looks like it will be the 5 year route instead of the 3 year route. We will have to wait until 2015.

it would be hard to qualify as who with a sound mind would want to live in a shithole like the UK :wine: