Latest News
  • The Latest News
  • The lottery
  • Good news for all the lottery syndicate players - - - Yet again the luckydip tickets wins....

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
Bruce Mangosteen

How To Break A Reply Into Sections And Respond

Sometimes a post contains multiple points in it you want to respond to, especially if there are multiple sub-topics going in a thread at the same time. It's possible to break a quoted post into parts so you can respond to each point. Here's how:

1. Click the "Quote" button as usual. The quoted post will appear in the box marked "Reply to this topic" at the bottom of the page.

post-629-0-34644500-1406097249_thumb.jpg

2. In the control ribbon at the top of the text box, click the control that looks like a small light switch. The software will then remove the formatting and show you the plain text with the bbcode controls in it.

post-629-0-37357400-1406097252_thumb.jpg

3. We'll break the example at the end of each paragraph and respond. After the first paragraph (or wherever you want to break the quote), enter the "close quote" bbcode, which is "/quote" surrounded by square brackets ("[ ]").

post-629-0-36110500-1406097255_thumb.jpg

4. Add the response to the first part of the quote.

post-629-0-98539700-1406097449_thumb.jpg

5. Surround the next block of text with the "quote" and "/quote" directives, and enter your response.

post-629-0-83437100-1406097264_thumb.jpg

6. Continue until each block is surrounded with "quote" and "/quote" directives, and you've entered your response to each block.

7. When finished, you can click the light switch to reformat and check the post. If you mess up, you'll get something like this:

post-629-0-78269000-1406097268_thumb.jpg

Click the light switch again to see this:

post-629-0-77892900-1406097273_thumb.jpg

Note the multiple "/quote" directives. The software put those in automatically.

Remove all but one of the "/quote" directives from the end of the post and resume at step 5.

8. When finished, click "Save changes" to post as normal. If you mess up, edit the post as in step 7.

Result is in the second post in this thread.

Yes, I realize some folks find this practice annoying. Directions for how to fix that:

1. Don't do it.

2. Don't read posts where someone else has done it.

I'll leave this topic open for questions etc. Abuse etc. will be removed.

NOTE: Do not include the quotation marks in the "quote" and "/quote" directives.

Unwilling sportsmen he in questions september therefore described so. Attacks may set few believe moments was. Reasonably how possession shy way introduced age inquietude. Missed he engage no exeter of. Still tried means we aware order among on. Eldest father can design tastes did joy settle. Roused future he ye an marked. Arose mr rapid in so vexed words. Gay welcome led add lasting chiefly say looking.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Praesent purus odio, bibendum eu est vel, faucibus pharetra nisi. Suspendisse ut risus ligula. Aenean convallis, urna vitae tempus vulputate, odio arcu rutrum eros, sit amet molestie ligula mauris sit amet dui. Duis eu est nec nisi eleifend venenatis vel eget lacus. Duis sed lacus sollicitudin, dignissim nibh vitae, dignissim eros. Integer vitae malesuada augue, aliquet luctus mauris. Nulla faucibus orci at purus consequat viverra. Aliquam erat volutpat. Quisque at iaculis felis, sit amet posuere erat. Quisque ut mi diam. Proin vel mauris sit amet orci venenatis interdum. Nunc nec dolor ac leo varius venenatis eget at neque. Sed quis ornare nisl, vel molestie dolor. Maecenas id lobortis metus, sed consectetur felis. Praesent interdum gravida arcu, sit amet auctor lorem tincidunt ut. Quisque elementum ligula non sem porttitor, in ultricies leo vulputate.

Two before narrow not relied how except moment myself. Dejection assurance mrs led certainly. So gate at no only none open. Betrayed at properly it of graceful on. Dinner abroad am depart ye turned hearts as me wished. Therefore allowance too perfectly gentleman supposing man his now. Families goodness all eat out bed steepest servants. Explained the incommode sir improving northward immediate eat. Man denoting received you sex possible you. Shew park own loud son door less yet.

Aliquam molestie nibh libero, quis malesuada arcu pretium sit amet. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Proin a purus tempor, dictum justo sed, sodales diam. Sed adipiscing, metus non mattis porta, risus sem varius nulla, nec viverra elit turpis eget leo. Praesent auctor purus id lorem pharetra feugiat. Quisque vulputate porttitor suscipit. Proin a eleifend sapien. Maecenas sit amet elementum nisi, quis luctus ipsum. Integer hendrerit iaculis dictum.

Game of as rest time eyes with of this it. Add was music merry any truth since going. Happiness she ham but instantly put departure propriety. She amiable all without say spirits shy clothes morning. Frankness in extensive to belonging improving so certainty. Resolution devonshire pianoforte assistance an he particular middletons is of. Explain ten man uncivil engaged conduct. Am likewise betrayed as declared absolute do. Taste oh spoke about no solid of hills up shade. Occasion so bachelor humoured striking by attended doubtful be it.

Cras egestas vestibulum turpis eu blandit. Sed placerat augue sed hendrerit tempus. Sed id vestibulum erat. In risus mauris, dapibus fringilla ligula nec, volutpat scelerisque nisi. Donec porttitor odio nec urna molestie, ut tincidunt eros hendrerit. Maecenas sed turpis in nisi egestas scelerisque. In felis tellus, luctus at mi quis, aliquet aliquam magna. Sed aliquet tempus sagittis.

Thanks for the lesson Mango...

But i didn't understand half of that second post .... I'm only kidding mate... :harhar:

Thanks for the lesson Mango...

['quote'] ez as pie says I ["/unquote"]

But i didn't understand half of that second post ....

["quote"] broke this sentence in half I did ["/unquote"]

I'm only kidding mate... :harhar:

Edited by JONPAT

Guest Mr Pastry

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Praesent purus odio, bibendum eu est vel, faucibus pharetra nisi. Suspendisse ut risus ligula. Aenean convallis, urna vitae tempus vulputate, odio arcu rutrum eros, sit amet molestie ligula mauris sit amet dui. Duis eu est nec nisi eleifend venenatis vel eget lacus. Duis sed lacus sollicitudin, dignissim nibh vitae, dignissim eros. Integer vitae malesuada augue, aliquet luctus mauris. Nulla faucibus orci at purus consequat viverra. Aliquam erat volutpat. Quisque at iaculis felis, sit amet posuere erat. Quisque ut mi diam. Proin vel mauris sit amet orci venenatis interdum. Nunc nec dolor ac leo varius venenatis eget at neque. Sed quis ornare nisl, vel molestie dolor. Maecenas id lobortis metus, sed consectetur felis. Praesent interdum gravida arcu, sit amet auctor lorem tincidunt ut. Quisque elementum ligula non sem porttitor, in ultricies leo vulputate.

Aliquam molestie nibh libero, quis malesuada arcu pretium sit amet. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Proin a purus tempor, dictum justo sed, sodales diam. Sed adipiscing, metus non mattis porta, risus sem varius nulla, nec viverra elit turpis eget leo. Praesent auctor purus id lorem pharetra feugiat. Quisque vulputate porttitor suscipit. Proin a eleifend sapien. Maecenas sit amet elementum nisi, quis luctus ipsum. Integer hendrerit iaculis dictum.

Cras egestas vestibulum turpis eu blandit. Sed placerat augue sed hendrerit tempus. Sed id vestibulum erat. In risus mauris, dapibus fringilla ligula nec, volutpat scelerisque nisi. Donec porttitor odio nec urna molestie, ut tincidunt eros hendrerit. Maecenas sed turpis in nisi egestas scelerisque. In felis tellus, luctus at mi quis, aliquet aliquam magna. Sed aliquet tempus sagittis.

That was actually quite interesting compared to most of your posts :fun::fun: and made a lot more sense :w00t: although I would disagree with the second paragraph.

Could you also give a lesson on how to search Google for facts and how to post the links ??

Just kidding

Vivat Liberales

Edited by Mr Pastry

That was actually quite interesting compared to most of your posts :fun::fun: and made a lot more sense :w00t: ..etc.

Actually, it probably looked the same as the rest of them do to you. ;)

Guest Harry Paratestes

Thanks for the lesson Mango

Test

But i didn't understand half of that second post

Test

Jonpat, don't include the quotation marks in the quote directives.

is much easier not inclucding the """ marks

Please look carefully at the examples.

Thanks, must be this very last part of your post I didn't look at carefully enough

..." NOTE: Do not include the quotation marks in the "quote" and "/quote" directives. "

Often enough I don't get it correct the first time, usually on yes/no questions. :unworthy:

Edited by JONPAT

For some reason I cannot hit reply and have the quote itself displayed in the reply, this is a perfect example as I am replying via the quote function button on the original post and as can be seen no quote in my reply.

I have no idea why it is not working as I used to be able to reply in the proper manner but not for quite some time now, partly the reason I don't reply to posts as often as I should but without the actual quote being displayed in a rely quite often the reply doesn't really make sense as no-one knows what comment is being replied to.

I prefer to quote the entire context of someones post. When we break a post into sections we stand the danger of "quoting out of context” which is often unfair. Of course some posters will take advantage of this when trying to make a point.

Wouldn’t it be good if we could break up someones conversation into sections and respond as we see fit.

For some reason I cannot hit reply and have the quote itself displayed in the reply, this is a perfect example as I am replying via the quote function button on the original post and as can be seen no quote in my reply.

I have no idea why it is not working as I used to be able to reply in the proper manner but not for quite some time now, partly the reason I don't reply to posts as often as I should but without the actual quote being displayed in a rely quite often the reply doesn't really make sense as no-one knows what comment is being replied to.

Hi mate try this , go to desired post you want to respond to and hit "Multiquote".......bottom right hand corner a box will appear with "Quote post/s" .....post away ;)

I prefer to quote the entire context of someones post. When we break a post into sections we stand the danger of "quoting out of context” which is often unfair. Of course some posters will take advantage of this when trying to make a point.

Wouldn’t it be good if we could break up someones conversation into sections and respond as we see fit.

Yes but somtimes it is that single point you need to refer to ,and not 10 lines of waffle .

Thanks, must be this very last part of your post I didn't look at carefully enough

..." NOTE: Do not include the quotation marks in the "quote" and "/quote" directives. "

Often enough I don't get it correct the first time, usually on yes/no questions. :unworthy:

I added that note after seeing your post. I suppose I could reformat the OP to eliminate the quotation marks...

For some reason I cannot hit reply and have the quote itself displayed in the reply, this is a perfect example as I am replying via the quote function button on the original post and as can be seen no quote in my reply...etc.

I think this has to do with the rich text mode of the editor. Try leaving it off (i.e. click the light switch button mentioned in the OP so you can see the bbcode) when you quote a post. Also make sure your browser is up to date.

Have you tried a different browser?

Just call them on it, as you would in any other situation.

I do that all the time and I think most people do. "Wait, you just made two points, let me address them separately...etc."

Yes but somtimes it is that single point you need to refer to ,and not 10 lines of waffle .

I have always used a row of dots to indicate that I have deleted a section of a post. No misunderstandings that way.

If there is a verbose post with multiple points, i will quote the entire post and make comments in red or blue. No room for misunderstandings that way.

I have always used a row of dots to indicate that I have deleted a section of a post. No misunderstandings that way.

If there is a verbose post with multiple points, i will quote the entire post and make comments in red or blue. No room for misunderstandings that way.

Down side with the high lighted red and blue - makes my eyes go almost bosseyed as they try to focus . I am an older facker though :geri:

Down side with the high lighted red and blue - makes my eyes go almost bosseyed as they try to focus . I am an older facker though :geri:

Cats have red green / colour blindness so I can understand your concerns.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this