Latest News
  • *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on Friday... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on Friday... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on Friday... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on Friday... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on Friday... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on Friday... it would be great to see you if your in town...!

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
Izi

Thai / American Lawyer

I need a Thai lawyer I think. Preferably one who is comfortable or has connections with the US.

All to do with a will etc.

Anybody have a recommended go to guy?

I recommend Anthony Justice from Magna Carta on South Road, though he's a Brit, just had my Will done there.

EXCELLENT!!

A good place to start. Anyway my situation is going to pretty much dead (joke) straight forward :)

I will try to smooth this as much as I can before I pop my clogs.

Oh well back to The Wire s04.

Nightie night from Cateret, New Jersey (shithole of the north)

Edited by Izi

I recommend Anthony Justice from Magna Carta on South Road, though he's a Brit, just had my Will done there.

+1

he has done a few deals for me in buying a condo and looking into a business that he told me not to buy.. after finding out that non of the papers was in order.

I have a friend over here now and tony is dealing with a condo purchase for him...

I need a Thai lawyer I think. Preferably one who is comfortable or has connections with the US.

All to do with a will etc.

Anybody have a recommended go to guy?

If you want a "real" lawyer, I have a Thai guy on my softball team (yikes I know we aren't supposed to integrate) who specialize in family law) If you want a email intro PM me your info and i will connect you....really an upstanding guy. Not sure if he has passed in bars in USA but he spends a lot of time there and for sure is well respected in family law legal community here)

If you want a "real" lawyer, I have a Thai guy on my softball team (yikes I know we aren't supposed to integrate) who specialize in family law) If you want a email intro PM me your info and i will connect you....etc.

If he isn't suitable then of course there's Ira Blumenthal. Assuming he's still around anyway, haven't talked to him in years.

If he isn't suitable then of course there's Ira Blumenthal. Assuming he's still around anyway, haven't talked to him in year

Of course Ira is still around, one of my longer true friends here is LOS. Had lunch with him last week and have meetings scheduled with his partners on Friday for 2 different cases, one knocking a dude silly who has fooked with me from a financial aspect and the other as we have retained his firm for doing business JV cross border and partnership agreements,...silly thought of anything less. But IZI has an open and shut FAMILY LAW case that does not require one of the most expensive lawyers on the planet.

BRS is more involved in M&A than anything else.

KC KARN is one of the best at what he does, which is family law. Drafting a will that can stand up in Thai and American Courts is pretty cut n dry stuff.....not saying Anthony of Magna is not solid, but I think it is prudent to work with someone who can actually litigate in the courtroom if the need ever arose. I would be shocked if he could....even IRA is not allowed to actually litigate in Thailand but his partners can....Thailand,...ya have to love it.

Please give Ira my best regards next time you see him and ask about his family too. I was acquainted with his parents back in those days as well.

About wills, they are as you say a piece of cake normally (they can even be done online), but clearly my friend Izi has issues that might make his a bit unusual. I'm sure your friend is well up to the job, especially if you give him such a high recommendation.

PS: You were hinting that you'd possibly attend the next member's meet-up. I'd love to see you, it's been too long.

Thanks for all the input from everybody. I prefer using the forum this way, I am not posting as much because I am fedup with the same repetitive subject matter. I have said my piece on most of it and that is that as they say. I am especially offended by this constant going on about sponsors and/or guys using Pattaya as a 'marriage agency'.

My relationship with a Thai lady is my business and nobody elses. One takes happiness where you can find it!

Also ironic the criticism of Thai people and girls when about 75% of the board has a Thai wife / significant other and often kids!!

Anyway enough about that.

America is at it's prettiest right now and I have seen my first blizzard of the year in yet again Cheyenne, Wyoming (candidate for the most boring state in the pack). Just can't get enough of those beautiful colors the trees turn good clean, fresh cold air. Lungfulls of the stuff.

Presently in Fort Worth, resting and taking care of some business.

Which brings me to the point of this post.

Again thank you for your help.

Although the will is easy i.e. everything is going to my lady to take care of her, my baby girl and her older sister, managing it or enacting it is more tricky.

I will elucidate here as I don't see what harm it can do. Maybe others are in a similar situation.

Retirement isn't an option for me. I want to work. The longer I contribute to my long term savings without drawing on it the more there will be for retirement when it is forced on me. I have given myself age 70 to make a decision.

Meanwhile I have to protect my family. Not an easy thing when they are thousands of miles away and don't speak fluent English let alone understand the ways of the west.

The issue of my dropping dead in a truckstop is a real problem. Most people disintegrate slowly but truckers are found dead over the steering wheel with a running engine every day.

I have a letter attached to my fridge door with a friends telephone number and the password to my email account. There is a draft letter in the email account for him with Nooms details, the insurance company's details and some various specifics. Also a key for my mailbox in Texas where there is a notarized copy of everything.

The insurance company want a death certificate and an application form filled in by Noom to start the claim. That is more complex than it appears. She can have payments , the cash value or the insurance. The insurance is the most dough. She just can't handle all this! It needs somebody who is fluent in Thai and English and isn't scared of American institutions.

There are also multiple bank accounts, CDs, savings accounts and assets.

I have named her as a beneficiary as often as I possibly can to smooth the way but knowing financial institutions the way I do if they can double duck out of paying one cent they will!! So we need a go between.

Not just to write a will. I can do that with an of the shelf form from Office Depot, but to be there permanently ready to grab the go bag as soon as the time comes.

It needs somebody familiar with both countries to initialize everything, correct me if I have made a mistake and guide Noom at the right time.

Does this all make more sense now?

If I am compus mentus until I am 90 and end up retiring to Thailand having finally hung up my keys then fine. I'll take care of all this crap before I kick off but right now and for - I would say - another possibly 15 years I am vulnerable. It worries me, it keeps me awake at night.

I am scared stupid that she will run out of money for her and the girls because of a snafu.

I am going to buy an insurance policy in Thailand from a Thai company for her. Nothing elaborate, just a couple of hundred thousand baht to tide her over until the real money arrives from the states.

Sorry for going on but this has been a real worry for me.

In 2012 I met up with Stargazer in Bangkok for a couple of beers. Noom was with me and she had just told me she was pregnant. I think Ron will attest she was very beautiful. Here I am at the end of 2014 a daddy and with - believe it or not - a devoted Thai lady who amounts to being my wife. I couldn't be happier and bless the day I completely gave up on having a family in favor of mongering!!

Who knew!!

If you give it all up deep down that's when you get it.

Weird!!

Great post sorting out our future is something I suspect many of us should do my self included

Great post sorting out our future is something I suspect many of us should do my self included

Absolutely. That's why in 2005 I started the visa process for my wife and son.

Who knows what futures hold for any of us.

But at least she could get out of here with the kids should anything happen to me. And she would.

Good luck to izi, hope he gets everything sorted and makes his future retirement plans a success.

As the other lads have said good look sorting this out. I can't offer any advice but you do seem to know what is needed.

Re the first bit of your post I agree.

Absolutely. That's why in 2005 I started the visa process for my wife and son.

Who knows what futures hold for any of us.

But at least she could get out of here with the kids should anything happen to me. And she would.

Good luck to izi, hope he gets everything sorted and makes his future retirement plans a success.

My wife and her son have the choice of living here or back in Thailand ,but my income base is some what complicated and I dont think she could run it if I wasn't around

My wife and her son have the choice of living here or back in Thailand ,but my income base is some what complicated and I dont think she could run it if I wasn't around

You'd be amazed how smart they are. As you no doubt know.

Anyhow, I can't compete with you boys. I'm just a humble skint ex-pat. But I still feel I did the right thing all these year ago by giving up a brilliant life here and taking them back. I have no regrets.

We all do what we consider right at the time. There are no right or wrongs in life. Just learning curves.

You'd be amazed how smart they are. As you no doubt know.

Anyhow, I can't compete with you boys. I'm just a humble skint ex-pat. But I still feel I did the right thing all these year ago by giving up a brilliant life here and taking them back. I have no regrets.

We all do what we consider right at the time. There are no right or wrongs in life. Just learning curves.

I'm a skint non ex pat

Thanks for all the input from everybody. I prefer using the forum this way, I am not posting as much because I am fedup with the same repetitive subject matter. I have said my piece on most of it and that is that as they say. I am especially offended by this constant going on about sponsors and/or guys using Pattaya as a 'marriage agency'.

My relationship with a Thai lady is my business and nobody elses. One takes happiness where you can find it!

Also ironic the criticism of Thai people and girls when about 75% of the board has a Thai wife / significant other and often kids!!

Anyway enough about that.

America is at it's prettiest right now and I have seen my first blizzard of the year in yet again Cheyenne, Wyoming (candidate for the most boring state in the pack). Just can't get enough of those beautiful colors the trees turn good clean, fresh cold air. Lungfulls of the stuff.

Presently in Fort Worth, resting and taking care of some business.

Which brings me to the point of this post.

Again thank you for your help.

Although the will is easy i.e. everything is going to my lady to take care of her, my baby girl and her older sister, managing it or enacting it is more tricky.

I will elucidate here as I don't see what harm it can do. Maybe others are in a similar situation.

Retirement isn't an option for me. I want to work. The longer I contribute to my long term savings without drawing on it the more there will be for retirement when it is forced on me. I have given myself age 70 to make a decision.

Meanwhile I have to protect my family. Not an easy thing when they are thousands of miles away and don't speak fluent English let alone understand the ways of the west.

The issue of my dropping dead in a truckstop is a real problem. Most people disintegrate slowly but truckers are found dead over the steering wheel with a running engine every day.

I have a letter attached to my fridge door with a friends telephone number and the password to my email account. There is a draft letter in the email account for him with Nooms details, the insurance company's details and some various specifics. Also a key for my mailbox in Texas where there is a notarized copy of everything.

The insurance company want a death certificate and an application form filled in by Noom to start the claim. That is more complex than it appears. She can have payments , the cash value or the insurance. The insurance is the most dough. She just can't handle all this! It needs somebody who is fluent in Thai and English and isn't scared of American institutions.

There are also multiple bank accounts, CDs, savings accounts and assets.

I have named her as a beneficiary as often as I possibly can to smooth the way but knowing financial institutions the way I do if they can double duck out of paying one cent they will!! So we need a go between.

Not just to write a will. I can do that with an of the shelf form from Office Depot, but to be there permanently ready to grab the go bag as soon as the time comes.

It needs somebody familiar with both countries to initialize everything, correct me if I have made a mistake and guide Noom at the right time.

Does this all make more sense now?

If I am compus mentus until I am 90 and end up retiring to Thailand having finally hung up my keys then fine. I'll take care of all this crap before I kick off but right now and for - I would say - another possibly 15 years I am vulnerable. It worries me, it keeps me awake at night.

I am scared stupid that she will run out of money for her and the girls because of a snafu.

I am going to buy an insurance policy in Thailand from a Thai company for her. Nothing elaborate, just a couple of hundred thousand baht to tide her over until the real money arrives from the states.

Sorry for going on but this has been a real worry for me.

In 2012 I met up with Stargazer in Bangkok for a couple of beers. Noom was with me and she had just told me she was pregnant. I think Ron will attest she was very beautiful. Here I am at the end of 2014 a daddy and with - believe it or not - a devoted Thai lady who amounts to being my wife. I couldn't be happier and bless the day I completely gave up on having a family in favor of mongering!!

Who knew!!

If you give it all up deep down that's when you get it.

Weird!!

Oh Man - what a post - if ever you decide to take a run at the White House, you have my vote, Hombre - POY

God Bless Truckers

Best Regards

Jack

post-27174-0-12922400-1430553627_thumb.j