Latest News
  • *** SUCK MY COCK YOU FUCKING SNIDE CUNTS *** FIRTH is a word we must not forget , KEEP THE KIDS SAFE *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril *** can you remember when TRUST was something and HONOUR was something *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril *** KARMA IS A FUCKING BITCH ***

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
JACK DANIELS ESQ

Linux, Malware, Viruses, Popups, Google, Chrome, Other Bs

If I understand the documentation correctly, you can set it up to allow access from a mobile device over the internet. This is what I was referring to as a "web server" although it isn't the classic web server application you probably thought of when you read that. Not sure there's even a word for this. BTW, Bubble UPnP has the same capability.

Bubble does essentially the same things. TBH, I don't really care for all that cataloging stuff, and prefer to just make a sensible folder structure and browse it manually. IMO this creates less system overhead, because the server doesn't have to keep scanning the library for updates.

Hands up, dinosaur here! :)

Another feature I like about Bubble UPnP is that it can cast audio and video content from websites and other apps on your mobile phone to DLNA/UPnP-compatible renderers. As I type this, Lady M. is watching a video on our Samsung flat-screen that she is streaming from the web via BubbleUPnP in her phone. No special software or servers required on the network, just the BubbleUPnP app on her phone and a DLNA/UPnP/allShare compatible TV with a LAN connection.

I also have a DLNA-compatible Western Digital media server on my LAN (runs the Twonky media server). This is a slightly older media server with internet access via apps but no browser capability. BubbleUPnP can not only play media from the server to the phone, but it can also stream it from the server and cast it to the TV or the media server's built-in renderer. The latter is useful because I connect the audio output on the media server to a self-powered speaker system. So, I can stream a movie off the web onto my TV, with sound on my speaker system, from my phone. Nothing custom-installed on the network, just BubbleUPnP on my phone.

I'm very happy with my setup, as you can see. :)

Well, without knowing more details, I'm not sure how using a VM avoids slowing the internet connection, unless you have it set up to limit the bandwidth it uses?

Concerning VMs and security, my theory is that a VM is like a "sandbox" in that applications running in it have no access to actual system memory or your actual disks or network, because everything is virtualized. The VM has its own memory partition and a VHD. So, if the VM got a virus it would only exist/run in the sandbox rather than screwing up your actual machine and hard drive. And, since Windows virtual XP creates a VHD that can be mounted by the Windows host OS (e.g. Win7), you could mount and virus scan your VHD with the host's antivirus software, without running the VM. (There is also software that allows VMware VHDs to be mounted by the host OS).

There are commercial "sandboxes" out there that do this, but I see no need to buy one if Virtual XP is free.

Yes, you can access plex with your phone/tablet with their app or login to plex.tv. You can access plex with a tv. bubbleupnp sounds nice, but I've fallen in love with plex so I doubt I'll change media server.

The reason my virtual box's internet connection is slower is that I connect to through a vpn server which isn't as fast as my actual internet connection.

But your actual machine is still connected to internet which means there is no added security to it, but I think I see what you mean. Running a program which opens up access to your computer from the internet is better done when that program is ran from a virtual machine. Then there isn't any added vulnerability to your actual machine, only the VM.

Yes, you can access plex with your phone/tablet with their app or login to plex.tv...etc.

Sorry if it sounded like I was advertizing BubbleUPnP! LOL! :fun: I'm just very impressed with it, so bare-bones yet capable.

Yes, you get my drift, running a net-exposed server from Windows is best done from within a sandbox. Of course, Linux eliminates this problem, but at the cost of my brain needing to learn a new OS.

If a customer was paying me to learn Linux I'd be on it like a dog with a bone. As it is, because this is nothing like important to me, I'd rather spend the time surfing smut. :D

that was a lot for this small mind to absorb, thank you.

now it all looks good, an OS System that uses a fraction of the PC guts that windows does, and in fasct runs in the ram. cool. the problem of course is going to be that other than standard progs like the net, write/calc and few others, it cant accomodate programmes written for the mondter, windows. pretty much every PC I run has to stream, edit, process etc, none of those prgs run in linux. so i guess I am f**ked. but if i had a pc that only cruied the net and did emails, I would use it.

is that about right?

Welcome .... not sure .... a lot of kids run around trying to create solutions for problems they havent yet discovered ...

Maybe give me some idea of what your environment is, what you are running, what you are trying to achieve, what hardware you have, is it mission critical, etc ... lets see if we can solve for X .. everything is possible - most solutions are off-the-shelf today ... KISS [keep it simple stupid]

Regards

Jack

BUMP

Regards

Jack

Give Zorin a try it had a very windows feel and you can set your desktop to mimic windows 7, xp, Windows 2000. It's probably the best for someone moving over from windows for first time. http://zorin-os.com

Give Zorin a try it had a very windows feel and you can set your desktop to mimic windows 7, xp, Windows 2000. It's probably the best for someone moving over from windows for first time. http://zorin-os.com

Havent used it in a coons age - it was rather limited, kludgey even when I last played with it - but why pay say $10 bucks

for their Premium edition when its free from Debian or Mint - last time we checked Zorin only had LXE and Gnome GUI,

which are rather anal and limiting - no gingerbread - all uber plain jain

Mint - an Ubuntu [Debian] clone - is extremely popular because it mimics XP so well - I dont like any of them personally,

as they dont think I am old enough or capable of running as superuser [root] - sounds like a massive big brother complex,

to wit I also find them very slow and over-protective - the O/S is supposed to be fast on a production machine

Regards

Jack

http://linuxmint.com/

...I dont like any of them personally, as they dont think I am old enough or capable of running as superuser [root] - sounds like a massive big brother complex...etc.

This is my main objection to Android, the lack of native ability to grant yourself root admin access. Why don't they just make you have to jump through a hoop, such as to log on to the Google account that backs the Android device and digitally "sign" a form that says "I understand WTF I'm doing"?

I'd prefer to have root admin privileges on my phone but don't feel like rooting it. The process is unsupported by Google so who knows what will happen with future versions?

Note that, per my earlier disclaimer, I haven't been bothered to play with this, it's more of a conversation starter. A big reason is that I use my laptop for work, and I generally keep it fairly stripped down so I don't have too many maintenance problems with it.

Also, when I travel I usually have my laptop with me, so it wouldn't be available to be a web media server at the same time, at least until I arrived at my destination, and maybe not even then. So not sure this would be as useful to me as a setup where I had a dedicated server at home.

Hey ...

Check this out - as y'all hypothesizing right now - its a tiny bespoke piece of kit that is interesting ... help with initiation

Regards

Jack

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=openelec