Latest News
  • *** SUCK MY COCK YOU FUCKING SNIDE CUNTS *** FIRTH is a word we must not forget , KEEP THE KIDS SAFE *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril *** can you remember when TRUST was something and HONOUR was something *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril *** KARMA IS A FUCKING BITCH ***

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

C'mon folks – time to fess-up …. who of you out there still use a dumbphone or more importantly, who of you miss your ol' dumbphones

…. I don’t – I still have mine, much to NSA/Google chagrin. I use an 'ol Motorola Razr – the battery lasts for weeks

I am not a FB, Tweet, Linkedin, Yelp kind of a moron – my people dont hang on social media, dont buy anything on that channel, never

will – neither will yours, so let it go – its a scam – phuque NSA

Social media has helped destroy bars, meetings, social get togethers etc – folks dont talk to each other any more, so how do you expect

to buy some hot babe a drink or get laid, enjoy a great meal with her

Social media also wastes time – and thats all we have – a little bit of time before we pass-on

Dont waste it – it is a very precious commodity – and very limited

Here's a freebie, a no-brainer – lose that smartphone, get rid of it, dump it now – when my bank has finished processing, clearing the

L/C, they call me – which is why I have and use a mobile device

All you are doing is making Google, Facebook, et al, richer – a lot richer – and you poorer

I even took email off my dumbphone – it will be on my network when I am done with gym, bike, or getting laid – ya cant make money on

social media, ya can waste time & money on it though – this excludes devs, of course, who are making money, big bucks, if they get lucky

with Zuckface.

As smartphones have become ubiquitous, a growing body of work has attempted to reconcile the consequences of constant connectivity.

In Nicholas Carr’s 2010 book “The Shallows: What the Internet Is Doing to Our Brains,” he argues that constant Web browsing has diminished the

brain’s ability to sustain focus and think interpretively. (Carr uses a dumbphone.)

Researchers have found that smartphones can cause stress and make it harder to sleep.

David Meyer, a University of Michigan psychologist who studies multitasking, has seen first hand the downsides of the smartphone: he started using

one a year ago, when a frustrated friend bought one for him.

Meyer agrees with Carr’s assessment of the repercussions of those habits: “Your smartphone has turned you into a dumb organism,” he said.

Sara Pritchard, a historian of technology at Cornell University, says her dumbphone helps her to be more productive and forces her

to be more thoughtful about how she spends her time. Like most dumbphone users, she feels like it allows her to be “present” —

rather than spending dinner with a friend splitting time between the real world and the screen.

But she said there are other advantages. She has a dirt cheap pay-as-you-go plan. AT&T offers a $40 per month plan, half the price of a similar contract

for a smartphone. Her phone is 7 years old and works perfectly well, she said, although the logo has worn off and she has no idea who manufactured it.

“I could probably use it as a weapon,” she said. “It charges in five minutes and I can go days without charging it again.”

Plus, the phone’s lack of GPS alleviates her concerns about surveillance.

Infinite Battery

Dumphones are fusion powered. Charging it is a was ceremony – th battery would last for weeks on that last bar - could take it on

a week long hike and never worry about conserving battery for emergency situations - never ever think of taking a charger anywhere

In contrast, a smartphone is like a Humvee with a gas tank the size of a champagne glass. That’s nothing new, but the real issue isn’t the power

itself, it’s the opportunities to waste it. As you may already know, smartphones can be used for activities of widely varying importance: like scrolling

through @EarthPics twitter feed vs. letting your roommate know you’ve locked yourself outside.

Stronger Than Steel

Throw a dumbphone at the wall in anger, drop it while crossing the street, or keep it in a pocket during an ultimate frisbee game

Practical Human Skills

Used to know where things were, and which streets were one-way, learned mental maps of bus lines, and use things like intuition to get around.

More importantly, used to talk to people when help was needed - talk to bus drivers, old people on benches, and cute girls at the crosswalk - do

crazy things like roll down the window to ask the driver next to me for directions.

Theft-Proof

Who steals a dumbphone? Who buys a dumbphone? That’s right. No one.

Mental Quiet

In the absence of notifications, feeds, and inboxes to consume – one can simply reflect. When alone with down time, look around, be aware,

and let ones mind truly wander. There was nothing to check, was free to process thoughts and think about bigger things.

Creativity and Originality

Ultimately, true creativity comes from having the time to digest all that data – most of which is useless, so while there are a lot more interesting

inputs, consuming them eats at time one has to process and be creative with said data.

There is zero to be gained from having a smartphone, one has zero Peace of mind. Each aspect of having a smartphone just give one

more things to manage, more things to worry about, and less space to process what’s important.

End of rant

Peace

Jack

PS - apologize for the formatting [lack]

post-27174-0-92062100-1431071947_thumb.j

Sorry JD, I love having all my information in one place including all my finances, contacts with photos that show up when someone calls, full contact names and adresses not just the truncated names on my old dumb phone, music & video clips to hand and on tap, health apps at the touch of a button, currency and foreign exchange information ,weather information etc.etc. etc.

Luddites, lol. I love my smart phone and I am too far gone to change, though I do enjoy most retro things, like shaving with an old fashioned double edged blade razor.

Sorry JD, I love having all my information in one place including all my finances, contacts with photos that show up when someone calls, full contact names and adresses not just the truncated names on my old dumb phone, music & video clips to hand and on tap, health apps at the touch of a button, currency and foreign exchange information ,weather information etc.etc. etc.

Luddites, lol. I love my smart phone and I am too far gone to change, though I do enjoy most retro things, like shaving with an old fashioned double edged blade razor.

Agree with this. People should have enough sense to be able to use them as a tool and use them where and when required.

I have an old dumb phone that I take with me when out on the piss or whatever and just set call forwarding on my smartphone.

They are so useful, especially when traveling but they should be banned in bars and restaurants.

I have a dumb phone as I don't want the temptation of distraction when I'm at work.

I like to talk to customers and watch my bar and staff working.

I tell my staff that they can't use their phones in the bar and I lead by example.

I have a dumb phone as I don't want the temptation of distraction when I'm at work.

I tell my staff that they can't use their phones in the bar and I lead by example.

Good policy Phil.

Well done - clearly it works as you have also stopped your annoying whinge & whine about font colors

Regards

Jack

I use my smart phone sparingly in company, if at all

But agree they have changed the future for human interaction and not in a good way

I have a smartphone now because I nearly had a business deal go down the drain when I was away from my email for half a day.

About using it inappropriately, I don't touch the phone if I'm out with friends, except for a few specific conditions:

- I've excused myself from their company, such as to go take a leak.

- The person/people I'm with have done the same.

- I'm expecting an important email, text or call and it comes (same as I might have done with a dumbphone).

- If I'm in the company of a big group and not actively involved in the conversation at a given moment.

If it's necessary for me to divert my attention to my phone, I ALWAYS apologize to the people I'm with. If it's going to be more than a minute or two, I ALWAYS excuse myself from their company.

IMO, smartphones are no different from dumbphones, mp3 players, hand-held vidiot games, televisions on the wall, or anything else:

If you have proper manners, you know when to pay attention to them, and when not to.

So, there's nothing wrong with a smartphone that isn't part of the brain or the upbringing of its user. If you have half a brain and were raised to be polite to people, you can own anything you want and you'll still be polite. If not, not.

tumblr_n4xc3jWqXT1qel0uxo1_400.jpg

Don't like smartphones as you need to charge them more times per day than feeding a Thai girl.

tumblr_n4xc3jWqXT1qel0uxo1_400.jpg

Don't like smartphones as you need to charge them more times per day than feeding a Thai girl.

Goes to show you how little I use it, I can usually get nearly 2 days out of a charge!

Great meme BTW. :D