Latest News
  • *** word of the day LOYALTY *** POODLE is a word we must not forget *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril *** can you remember when TRUST was something and HONOUR was something *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril ***

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Evil Penevil

Two Lions Pub & Restaurant

post-9139-0-95817900-1433396047.jpg

I read on another board that Two Lions Pub & Restaurant served the best pizza in Pattaya. As I'd never even heard of Two Lions, I thought I check it out in case I was missing a "hidden gem." It's located on Soi 9 off Pattaya Klang (Central Road). If you are walking east on Klang, past Soi Bukhao, it is the first perpendicular soi on the right-hand side of the street.

post-9139-0-03625700-1433396052.jpg

Two Lions is situated about 100 meters down Soi 9. It turns out Two Lions is a Swedish restaurant that serves Swedish "husmanskost" (roughly translates as "home-style cooking") as well as pizzas, doner kebab and hamburgers.

post-9139-0-83316000-1433396058.jpg

"...the best pizza in Pattaya" was an optimistic assessment, but the pizza at Two Lions was certainly good and value for money at 230 baht. I chose the cheapest variation of 24 on the menu, the Vesuvio (cheese, tomato sauce) for 230 baht, with the most expensive multi-topping type at 340 baht. Two Lions' pizzas only come in one size and the diameter isn't specified on the menu, but I'm guessing t was 14". You have to very hungry to finish one alone at a single sitting!

post-6485-0-10347500-1433384385.jpg

My personal preference is for pizza with one or two toppings, not the "earthquake in your mouth" variety. And to put bearnaise sauce on a pizza (three variations at Two Lions) is just wrong IMO. Of course, some customers may like it; that's why there are are 24 variations on the menu.

post-6485-0-71579100-1433384395.jpg

Pizza long ago went from a regional Italian specialty to a popular dish all over the world. On that journey, the humble pizza has taken on forms that have little to do with its country of origin. The pizza you'll get at Two Lions is good eating, but whether it's "authentic" Italian pizza ... well ...

post-6485-0-25823000-1433384340.jpg

But the Vesuvio I got was close to what you'd get at at one of the better neighborhood pizza shops in NYC. What distinguishes a Swedish pizza is a dollop of olive oil after the toppings have been placed on the base. It adds flavor, but could make the pizza too greasy for some. I'm fine with it.

post-6485-0-11221000-1433384410.jpg

The crust was perfectly done. A razor-thin layer that as crispy and nicely charred, but the rest of the crust soft inside. If the whole crust is crispy throughout, it's been in the oven too long.

post-6485-0-41922100-1433385529.jpg

A small serving of "Swedish pizza salads" preceded the pizza.

post-6485-0-21419100-1433384311.jpg

It's a type of cole slaw, but the chopped cabbage is dressed with oil and vinegar and seasoned with fennel seeds. I prefer it to the U.S. variety that uses mayonnaise.

post-6485-0-81172900-1433384322.jpg

I had a leisurely meal with a couple of bottles of SML (75 baht/bottle) and was there between 4.30 p.m and 6.00 p.m. During that time, I was the only customer in the Two Lions.

post-6485-0-09199200-1433384425.jpg

post-6485-0-66568200-1433384434.jpg

I'll be back to the Two Lions not so much for their pizza but to try the Swedish "home cooking." You can find the Two Lions' menu here.

Evil

devil.gif

Great review, as ever from you as ever - pizza looked nice and as I like it

Yes Scandinavians do like an "interesting" ingredient or two on their pizzas.

Pizza is a flatbread with a topping, so it's not surprising that in a country like Sweden, which didn't have a large number of Italian immigrants, local chefs would put non-Italian ingredients on pizza. It's another example of adapting a foreign dish to local tastes and preferences.

Evil