Latest News
  • *** SUCK MY COCK YOU FUCKING SNIDE CUNTS *** FIRTH is a word we must not forget , KEEP THE KIDS SAFE *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril *** can you remember when TRUST was something and HONOUR was something *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril *** KARMA IS A FUCKING BITCH ***

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Evil Penevil

Bronx Pizza On Soi Diana

post-9139-0-79919200-1438953378.jpg

Bronx Pizza sells thin-crust, New York-style pizza by the slice or 18" (large) pie.

post-276-0-19758600-1439206879_thumb.jpg

It's located on Soi Diana near the corner of 2nd Road, across the street from Natalie's Bar, which is between Beefeater and Papagayo.

post-276-0-87693400-1439206889_thumb.jpg

While Bronx Pizza has a couple of tables and a few counter seats, it's mostly set up for take-away by the slice. That's what's most "New York" about Bronx Pizza - it was in New York City that pizza by-the-slice got its start in the early years of the 20th century. Until the end of WWII, most pizza was sold as take-away food, whether by the slice or pie. It wasn't until the 1950s that pizzerias as sit-down restaurants spread outside of Little Italy and other Italian neighborhoods.

post-9139-0-06677800-1438954443.jpg

The slices I've had from Bronx Pizza have been OK, especially when you consider the price is two slices for 99 baht. The pics show a slice of Margherita and what's called Bronx pizza.

post-9139-0-80650000-1438954840.jpg

Both have extremely thin crusts with a minimal amount of tomato sauce and mozzzarella. The Margherita was topped with fresh garlic and tomatoes, basil and olive oil, while the Bronx was covered with Italian sausage and slices of fresh green peppers and onion. The basil on the Margherita was burned, but it didn't taste bad. In fact, the combination of cheese, tomato sauce and toppings was good on both slices. It didn't reach any peaks of pizza perfection, but was better than most of what is available in Pattaya.

post-9139-0-06563200-1438955264.jpg

The problem with the slices was the crust. It was almost too thin and crispy to the point of brittleness. The crust wasn't burned, just over-baked. That's a difficulty with a lot of pizza sold by the slice. It has to go into the oven twice, once to bake it almost done, the second time to reheat it before serving. If the crust is paper thin, it can get too dry. What characterized New York pizza, among other things, was a crust that was charred on the underside but still a bit spongy in the upper layer so the slices could be folded in half and eaten without a knife and fork. Still today, a pizza slice is considered "street food" that is eaten standing or on the go.

Authenticity is a muddled and dubious concept and it would be silly to think you can find what is considered to be true New York pizza in Pattaya. For one thing, the original New York pizzas were baked in coal-fired brick ovens that achieved more than twice the temperature of a wood-fired or modern gas oven. The high temperature gave the pizzas a taste that can't be duplicated even in a wood-fired oven. Nowadays only about 20 of NYC'S 400 pizzerias still use coal-fired ovens because of environmental and safety regulations. To say a pizza isn't "authentic" New York style because it isn't baked like pizzas were 100 years ago is as absurd as saying a roast of beef isn't authentic because it wasn't roasted on a spit over an open fire.

Bottom line: Bronx Pizza slices are OK as a late-night snack, but only if you favor thin, dry, crispy crusts and don't have your expectations set too high. I prefer a Bronx Pizza slice over much of the soggy, tasteless pizza found in Pattaya.

Evil

so at 70 b , or 1 pound 50 p , or $2.30 for a slice I think its mega expensive .

even at 99 b or 2 pound 10 pence or $3.50 for 2 slice its still very expensive .

id hate to have to buy the full pizza .

so at 70 b , or 1 pound 50 p , or $2.30 for a slice I think its mega expensive .even at 99 b or 2 pound 10 pence or $3.50 for 2 slice its still very expensive .id hate to have to buy the full pizza .

You been hanging with the new plaza crew recently? lol

You been hanging with the new plaza crew recently? lol

not at all mate .

just thinking about its value to me based on cost .

I reckon 50 pence a slice will still make a healthy profit .

so that's what 23 b or 24 b in real money .

not at all mate .just thinking about its value to me based on cost .I reckon 50 pence a slice will still make a healthy profit .so that's what 23 b or 24 b in real money .

Depends how good it is basically. Pizza is mostly shite in patts and Thailand in general tbh. I wouldn't object if it was good....

Actually you are probably right, this is a good pizza place I go to in Bangkok sometimes and it's around 300 baht for a 14 inchish wood fired pizza in a nice bar/brasserie surroundings.

http://181.224.136.28/~oskarbis/wp-content/uploads/Oskar_menu_food.pdf

Is that the menu for Oskars on Suk Soi 11?

Depends how good it is basically. Pizza is mostly shite in patts and Thailand in general tbh. I wouldn't object if it was good....

Ok.

Think Mikes Shopping Mall. Go north same side of the street. You will come to a cigar store selling Havana cigars. Go left there.

It used to all be open but nowadays it has restaurants springing up in the open space. Walk down a little it will start to become very quiet. You are about half way between the beach and 2nd rd.

There is an open air pizza place there. I do not know their name.

Superb pizza better than some places in the states. Wood fired, good selection of toppings and REAL pizza. Been eating there since 08. Eat there every trip.

I have seen that pizza place on Diane and I would give it a go.

not at all mate .

just thinking about its value to me based on cost .

I reckon 50 pence a slice will still make a healthy profit .

so that's what 23 b or 24 b in real money .

And very cheap and easy to produce.

And very cheap and easy to produce.

And with decent ingredients they will sell well -

And with decent ingredients they will sell well -

If it's proper pizza yes it will. Best pizza I've found here is the restaurant on beach road leading to Soi 6. It's very good. The rest I've tried the dough is tough as Hell on the base.

That's why I think wok n rok can do well in BKK

Pitch your pricing right first though - maybe SG can advise - as it seems you are to cheap. This may justify high staff wages as this is absorbed in overall running costs - you know the material cost , meat veggies etc it's just rent, staff, utilities, delivery cost that you need to factor in

Dare I say, that YOU need to take a more active role also - there is a Visa out there with your name on it, in sure if that - I'm sure your business will be mega successful, kids could be well educated and your misses work a ten hour rather than a sixteen hour day

Best

That's why I think wok n rok can do well in BKK

Pitch your pricing right first though - maybe SG can advise - as it seems you are to cheap. This may justify high staff wages as this is absorbed in overall running costs - you know the material cost , meat veggies etc it's just rent, staff, utilities, delivery cost that you need to factor in

Dare I say, that YOU need to take a more active role also - there is a Visa out there with your name on it, in sure if that - I'm sure your business will be mega successful, kids could be well educated and your misses work a ten hour rather than a sixteen hour day

Best

Curried pizza slices at 99 Baht each. That's the way. Cost about 5 Baht a slice to produce. Wee bit tongue in cheek but a lot of truth in my last sentence.

Actually I do like a good Pizza the one on Soi 6 I think is cooked by a European chap and He's very good at what He does. Not cheap though, but nice.

Extra garlic for me please

I used to love a nice tomato, onion and mushroom pizza in a Glasgow chippie. Sure it's deep fried but the taste is great.

At least the op got some extra zees in his mozzarella :)

Did this place used to be called Slices?

the pizza is decent and I used to grab a slice or two when heading into town.

however as mulphy says when looking at the cost of buying a whole pizza it's quite expensive.

anytime I was in there, which was every other night it was empty.

Ok.

Think Mikes Shopping Mall. Go north same side of the street. You will come to a cigar store selling Havana cigars. Go left there.

It used to all be open but nowadays it has restaurants springing up in the open space. Walk down a little it will start to become very quiet. You are about half way between the beach and 2nd rd.

Superb pizza better than some places in the states. Wood fired, good selection of toppings and REAL pizza. Been eating there since 08. Eat there every trip.

I have seen that pizza place on Diane and I would give it a go.

One more time !!

Drum roll.

This is really good pizza unless you are some frigging backstreet gourmet.

f**ks sake go and try it. These people are good.

Ok.

I don't know the pizza place,but it sounds like you're in Tipp Plaza.

I don't know the pizza place,but it sounds like you're in Tipp Plaza.

Could be I really don't know. You can see the side of Mikes mall from there. GOOD pizza, best I have had in Pattaya. Most pizza here is utter garbage. Had a pizza from a place in Soi Lengkhee in 13 - god it was awful.