Latest News
  • *** word of the day LOYALTY *** POODLE is a word we must not forget *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril *** can you remember when TRUST was something and HONOUR was something *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril ***

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
pattayaman2001

Tandoori Chicken Anyone!

One of my favourite Indian food is tandoori chicken. And you can make it at Home you don't need a tandoor!

I said I'd post some recipes from Ouy's amazing Indian notebook. We've been eating this every night. It's the exact same as Indian UK tandoori chicken.

Here's what you need.

Chicken thighs or a whole chicken skinned and quartered. This recipe makes about 8 thighs you would have to scale it up for the whole chicken.

Tbsp = Tablespoon

Tsp = Teaspoon

3 Tbsp natural yogurt.

1/2 Tsp chilli powder

1 Tbsp lemon juice

Mix together

Cut deep scores across the chicken thighs and marinade for 2 hours in the above mixture.

Main marinade

4 Tbsp natural yogurt

1 Tbsp garlic ginger paste. (blend equal amounts of garlic and ginger and a little bit of water in a blender with some green bell pepper and 2 green chillies.)

1/2 Tsp chilli powder

1 Tsp cumin powder

1 Tsp coriander powder

1/2 Tsp turmeric

1 Tsp methi powder

1 Tsp garam masala powder

3 Tbsp veg oil

Pinch of salt & pepper

Red food colour

Mix together and pour over the chicken and coat thoroughly.

Preheat oven 220c and cook for 36 minutes. Turning at 18 minutes.

Grill for 1 minute each side to get the charred effect.

UK Tandoori chicken... blooming awesome.

Guest bladdered

A lot of the recipes use mustard oil for the pre-marinade. It's hard to get hold off but I find it does make a difference.

A lot of the recipes use mustard oil for the pre-marinade. It's hard to get hold off but I find it does make a difference.

Easy to get hold of just don't look for it amongst the cooking oils in a supermarket in the West as it is banned for food use. Available in your Asian spice shops maked with for external use only to get round the ban.

Easy to get hold of just don't look for it amongst the cooking oils in a supermarket in the West as it is banned for food use. Available in your Asian spice shops maked with for external use only to get round the ban.

Stick to the recipe mate. You will make fantastic tandoori chicken. There's no mention of any mustard oil in this book. Got some in the oven right now.

Indians in the UK use 'seasoned oil' to start their dishes off. That's the oil that the chicken is pre cooked in. Oil, turmeric, Cinnamon, cumin seeds and water.

Stick to the recipe mate. You will make fantastic tandoori chicken. There's no mention of any mustard oil in this book. Got some in the oven right now.

Indians in the UK use 'seasoned oil' to start their dishes off. That's the oil that the chicken is pre cooked in. Oil, turmeric, Cinnamon, cumin seeds and water.

I shall try it, it is pretty much the same as the one I use. Mine has more garlic, a bit of nutmeg and paprika but no food colouring.

While I've never used mustard oil in tandoori or tikka recipes I used to have a bottle for use in a brilliant pork vindaloo recipe I had that has long been lost.

Guest bladdered

I have been cooking British Indian curries for years.

Pre cooking does not take place in oil in any recipe I have . Yes, seasoned oil is used, but this is basically the left over oil from cooking onion bhaji.

Precooked meats are cooked in a bit of seasoned oil, a bit of base gravy, water, cloves, cumin seeds, onion, star annis, ciniman stick and green and black cardamon, effectively poached.

If you want a recipe where mustard oil is used I can point you to this. I reckon the guy is authentic. Celebrity Chef Harpal Singh Sokhi

4 minutes 56 seconds.

A couple of more links to recipes for tandoori chicken that use mustard oil:

https://www.happycookingwithsush.com/tandoori-chicken-recipe

http://www.indiaexpress.com/cooking/tandoori_chicken.html

http://www.kitchensecretsandsnippets.com/2013/05/tandoori-chicken.html#.VejESfaqqko

http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/recipe/13816_Sanjeev_Kapoor_Tandoori_Chicken/

http://sharmilazkitchen.com/tandoori-chicken/

So it's not just me!

PS I have a Tandoor oven.

Thanks where in Pattaya can you get all the ingredients ?

I will get Mrs Donny to have a go

Ravi Indian supermarket. Soi 17 off second rd I believe mate.

Not a great Indian food lover but when I was married (wife Indian) I was often fed a pleasant home cooked Tandoori with an Aloo Gobi, Daal and a lovely paneer. Her mother was nice to me though, she cooked using breast meat for me as she knew my preference.

May try this recipe.

One of my favourite Indian food is tandoori chicken. And you can make it at Home you don't need a tandoor!

I said I'd post some recipes from Ouy's amazing Indian notebook. We've been eating this every night. It's the exact same as Indian UK tandoori chicken.

Here's what you need.

Chicken thighs or a whole chicken skinned and quartered. This recipe makes about 8 thighs you would have to scale it up for the whole chicken.

Tbsp = Tablespoon

Tsp = Teaspoon

3 Tbsp natural yogurt.

1/2 Tsp chilli powder

1 Tbsp lemon juice

Mix together

Cut deep scores across the chicken thighs and marinade for 2 hours in the above mixture.

Main marinade

4 Tbsp natural yogurt

1 Tbsp garlic ginger paste. (blend equal amounts of garlic and ginger and a little bit of water in a blender with some green bell pepper and 2 green chillies.)

1/2 Tsp chilli powder

1 Tsp cumin powder

1 Tsp coriander powder

1/2 Tsp turmeric

1 Tsp methi powder

3 Tbsp veg oil

Pinch of salt & pepper

Red food colour

Here's what you need.

Tbsp = Tablespoon

Tsp = Teaspoon

3 Tbsp natural yogurt.

1/2 Tsp chilli powder

1 Tbsp lemon juice

Mix together

Main marinade

4 Tbsp natural yogurt

1/2 Tsp chilli powder

1 Tsp cumin powder

1 Tsp coriander powder

1/2 Tsp turmeric

1 Tsp methi powder

3 Tbsp veg oil

Pinch of salt & pepper

Red food colour

Gonna try this later, just got a batch of meat and base out of the freezer that was from your previous recipe (did pre cooked beef instead of chicken, awesome).

Got everything here apart from chicken, yoghurt and red food colouring.

:)

Gonna try this later, just got a batch of meat and base out of the freezer that was from your previous recipe (did pre cooked beef instead of chicken, awesome).

Got everything here apart from chicken, yoghurt and red food colouring.

It's very nice Dave. I scaled down the chilli powder a bit as we have extra hot chilli powder that we use in our Chinese curry. If you like it a bit spicy put another 1/2 - 1 Tsp in the mix mate.

It's very nice Dave. I scaled down the chilli powder a bit as we have extra hot chilli powder that we use in our Chinese curry. If you like it a bit spicy put another 1/2 - 1 Tsp in the mix mate.

I've got kashmiri chilli powder which I ordered online a while back.

Nice taste and a lovely colour also.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I've got kashmiri chilli powder which I ordered online a while back.

Nice taste and a lovely colour also.

That'll do it. That's what it actually calls for in the recipe.

Guest bladdered

I really can't believe the prescriptive nature of your Tandoori Chicken for punters. It is to your taste. I can wager you I have had more Tandoori Chicken than anyone here, and tried many recipes. The best I have ever had is from a place in Singapore, near Mustaffa's, a little place in a hawker's market, he won't give me the recipe!

It's up to you, you can use a Patak's paste in yoghurt, which gives a decent attempt, but just too sweet, or go native. Remember, very, very few 'Indian' dishes are actually that, or what we get used to, a bit like Chinese dishes. No way does anything you can get in a takeaway in the West compare with what Chinese people eat.

Coming from a man who claims he can't cook...

So your a bit of a chicken tandoori connoisseur then?

I'm trying this recipe today so I'll report back once eaten.

Guest painter

I tried it last night. Mine wasnt red, but that might be due to the lack of food colouring!

Not at all bad!!

So your a bit of a chicken tandoori connoisseur then?

I'm trying this recipe today so I'll report back once eaten.

Seems like He's an expert. I know nothing, just what's in the book and in Scotland they DO pre-cook meat in half oil half water but like I say It's just a scribbled recipe, what do I know.

I tried it last night. Mine wasnt red, but that might be due to the lack of food colouring!

Not at all bad!!

Same just pulled it out of the oven, very nice but I put nowhere near enough food colouring but it looks nice.

Same just pulled it out of the oven, very nice but I put nowhere near enough food colouring but it looks nice.

Use a lot of colouring mate. And when in the oven put a tray with water under the rack. The steam from the tray keeps the chicken moist, stops it from drying up.

Tastes great.

Remember and grill it for the charred effect.

Guest bladdered

Seems like He's an expert. I know nothing, just what's in the book and in Scotland they DO pre-cook meat in half oil half water but like I say It's just a scribbled recipe, what do I know.

No, you are coming across like you are the absolute expert on how British Indian Curry is done. You said mustard oil is not used in Tandoori chicken, yet I have provided links to 6 different videos where it is used.

How do you know every BIR is Scotland pre-cooks in half oil and water? Are you telling me that if you go into one restaurant that their food tastes exactly the same as the next one down the street? Pay a visit to the Curry Mile in Manchester and I guarantee in the 30 or so restaurants, the dishes they prepare will taste different from place to place because of how they do it, so a rogan josh in one place will taste different from that in another. This is how places get reputations as being good or bad as people like or don't like what they get served. If some place does their particular curry particularly well, then people like it. It's like my favourite place for Tandoori chicken in Singapore, a little place in a hawker's market, one of thousands of little places, but I keep going back because the way they make it is the best, in my opinion.

I have been cooking curries for decades and have worked out good and bad and I know little tricks that are used, so maybe I am not an expert but I know my shit, and my curries.