Latest News
  • *** word of the day LOYALTY *** POODLE is a word we must not forget *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril *** can you remember when TRUST was something and HONOUR was something *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril ***

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Evil Penevil

Tinnies Thailand, Australian Pie Shop In Jomtien

Tinnies Thailand is a cafe specializing in pies, both savory and sweet. It's been open six weeks now and is located on the dog-leg stretch of Thrappraya Road that leads to the beach. It's about one-third of the way down, at the corner of the subsoi into Jomtien Plaza. It occupies the same premises as Sunrise Tacos and Steaksn'Subs once did. It's run by an Australian and his Thai wife.

post-276-0-06247700-1455281769_thumb.jpg

There's no obvious signage, but there is one of those airdancer thingies flapping outside, so it isn't hard to miss.

post-276-0-35973100-1455282007_thumb.jpg

I'm out of my comfort (food) zone here, but I really liked the pie I had at Tinnies. I'd go as far as to say it is the best meat pie I've had in Pattaya, although meat pies aren't a regular part of my diet. I'll leave it to an Australian to comment on how authentic Tinnies' pies are and how they compare with what you get back home, but for me, the roast leg of lamb pie that I had tasted very nice.

post-276-0-19397400-1455283907_thumb.jpg

It had a great crust and a tasty filling. What more can you ask of a pie?

post-276-0-36513100-1455283647_thumb.jpg

post-276-0-69132100-1455283667_thumb.jpg

The pie shell and crust were flaky, tender and fresh. The one thing you can't fake is flakiness in a crust. It has to be prepared and baked properly and not kept in a pie warmer too long. You can always tell about a pie's quality by the bottom crust. If it is flaky and browned without being burnt, it's been done the right way.

post-276-0-89954300-1455283686_thumb.jpg

Not too much more to say. Tinnies has a variety of pies on offer that are baked throughout the day. It's open from 8.00 a.m. to 8 p.m.

post-276-0-10877500-1455283705_thumb.jpg

You can eat in or take away. The dining area was spotlessly clean.

post-276-0-29157900-1455283716_thumb.jpg

My pie cost 175 baht. That's a premium price, but I got a premium product. Coke Zero (a small can) cost 30 baht. If I had wanted mashed potatoes and peas with the pie, it would have been another 100 baht. A side order of salad and chips would be 70 baht. The lamb was the most expensive on the menu, with most of the pies costing 150 baht.

post-276-0-92433800-1455285637_thumb.jpg

I'm looking forward to trying some of Tinnies other pies, especially the dessert pies.

Evil

3 quid for a pie. Think I'll stick with London Pie on Chayapruk. The Tinnies pie does look nice but a similar quality product is available at London Pie for a cheaper price.

It seems that “pies” have been on the menu for over 12,000 years with the Egyptians using pirs to feed their workers. The early pies were baked in a pastry shell which was several inches thick and the pies could be taken to the work site in what amounts to a disposable container. These containers could be heated in the coals and the airtight pie would last several months which was important over the winter months.

The pastry was never intended to be eaten but after the master had consumed his casserole he would give the pastry to the servants.

Now days each culture has developed their own version of the pie with some interesting variations from the spicy versions in the middle east to the distinctive flavours of South America. North America has drifted to sweet pies and The united Kingdom is more than likely to be a meat pie,

If you ask any Aussie (or Kiwi) they wili tell you that we invented the Meat Pie which is obviously untrue but we certainly embraced the concept. An Aussie meat pie has a few characteristics. The pastry needs to surround the filling and the pie must fit into one hand. The pastry can’t be too hot to hold in a paper bag and the filling needs to maintain the heat, We have grown up eating pies in the school yard, on the work site, while driving a car. Aussies don’t eat off a plate with a knife and fork and the only thing we put on a pie is “dead Horse” of Tomato Ketchup.

Each state or town has a favourite pie maker and although there are commercial options the pie shop is one of the busiest places in the community.

A few years ago I picked up a box in an auction that had a few pie flans in the bottom. Obviously I was meant to make some pies and I picked up a vry simple recipe which produced the best tasting pie ever. I first tried with ground beef (Minced Beef) and although I prefer a chinky steak pie it is hard to go past the first choice,

My pie filling is very simple with mince beef and onion cooked slowly with a couple of table spoons of flour to thicken the filling. I add tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce and my secret ingredient .. Vegemite. I will put in a couple of table spoons of chopped parsley with some salt and pepper and cook this for about 20 minutes,

I use short crust pastry on the base and puff pastry on the top and paint the top with a beaten egg.

It only takes 30 minutes in the oven and the aroma gives you an apatite well before the pies are ready,

I look forward to my next trip to LOS and will make a point to call in to Tinnies to “sample his wares."

Simple Simon met a pieman, Going to the fair; Says Simple Simon to the pieman, Let me taste your ware. Says the pieman to Simple Simon, Show me first your penny; Says Simple Simon to the pieman, Indeed I have not any.

3 quid for a pie. Think I'll stick with London Pie on Chayapruk. The Tinnies pie does look nice but a similar quality product is available at London Pie for a cheaper price.

My buddy and his wife are running the London Pie stall at Burapha this wekend, opposite the main stage, I am going this afternoon to stock up, oh, and look at some bikes, birds and classic cars.

post-53271-0-12527000-1455325314_thumb.j

post-53271-0-64202300-1455325332_thumb.j

Aussie pies are made differently to British Pies, so comparisons are difficult.

I remember the pie man on the 3rd road. a few years ago.probably stopped trading,but a nice pie.well quite a few years ago

I bought some pies from a shop on chayapruk but there was no sign above the shop so I don't know if this is London pie. The steak pie I had contained carrot and I didn't like them. I like the aus lady pies from villa market,but a little expensive at 120. I don't think I would pay 150 for a pie,I like value for money. I tried a pie the other day it cost 80 baht,I got it from a friend who bought it from a shop off threpasit. The filling was good and the pastry thin. This is what it looked like.

post-3754-0-77593600-1455342543_thumb.jp