Latest News
  • *** POODLE . word of the day . *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril *** INTEGRITY was word of the day . *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril ***

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Evil Penevil

Under 300 Baht ... And Good!

I wish he wouldn't put pictures up of a juicy steak. The only way I can have one is if it's liquidised. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Parky said:

I think Evil should drop the price to 199 certain members enjoy dog food :071:

... and cats.We are open-minded and diverse. There's a french pensioner here too.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

175 baht 15 minutes ago, can’t go wrong, proper stodge

6E6D53ED-0F07-4210-873C-44BFEF26DE86.jpeg

Edited by Paul Chonburi
  • Thumbs up 1

IMG_0002.jpg.a2579be8f626af67b3c37bbf3b515797.jpg

For a late night snack or even a light meal, Yakuza Burger on Soi Marine (aka Soi Lucky Star)  just off Walking Street has been a safe bet for a long time. It's open until 6.00 a.m. every day. While most noted for its burgers (beef, chicken and fish), it also serves up hot dogs, toasties, panini, fried shrimp, chicken nuggets and spaghetti. 

IMG_0003.jpg.581e7124d8170f2ba013a12a3700b364.jpg

Everything is cooked to order in front of the customer.  The grill, food preparation area and counter were very clean, which isn't always the case at hamburger stalls. You sit on a stool at the counter, but it was more comfortable than the butt-assaulting stools at similar burger stands.

IMG_0007.jpg.e78e8249d322589d2079cafc14790f6e.jpg

This morning at 3.15 a.m. I had the 99-baht cheeseburger.  It consisted of a thick beef patty, a slice of processed cheese, fried onion, tomato and lettuce on a toasted sesame bun.  The ingredients were fresh and it tasted fine.  It's not a large burger, but it was enough for me at that hour.

IMG_0005.jpg.7459d0d92355bb16bbee93eacfb7f0a9.jpg

The friendly cook asked me to take her picture.

Bottom line:  This is one of my go-to places for a quick hamburger or hot dog after a night on WS.  There was a steady stream past Yakuza Burger of girls who' work in bars that close at 3.00 a.m.  Some of them smiled at me very invitingly.

Evil

• Thumbs up 1

I feel in the mood for lamb shank tonight.  This appears to be a good option at 249 baht.  From the FB of Retox on Soi Lengkee.

Retox.thumb.JPG.a8aa011aaf8c3b74f5ac5c55dcced8cc.JPG

• Thumbs up 1

I tried Wednesday's special at Retox Game On (Soi Honey near 2nd Road)  by accident.  I was walking past, it started to rain and I didn't have an umbrella, so I ducked in to have dinner while I waited for the rain to stop.

IMG_0093.thumb.jpg.848c9ede27887627c4f5a2bbd93a2553.jpg

Conceptually, the day's special sounded a bit weird to me.  Why serve Chinese chicken balls with chips and curry sauce?   Was that what made it "English style?" Anyway, I gave it a try. I asked if I could substitute extra fried rice for the chips and the waitress readily agreed.

IMG_0086.thumb.jpg.7a862cde274888e23c198e960f026ded.jpg

IMG_0088.thumb.jpg.e0079a96144a0bad4866959a75e559bf.jpg

I'm including this in the "Good" thread because the chicken balls themselves were very nice- lightly battered pieces of chicken breast, fried crispy but juicy on the inside. 

IMG_0090.thumb.jpg.eaef6609c55532cf0619eb8923e1bbee.jpg

I was less impressed with the rest of the meal.  The curry sauce was the blandest I've ever tasted-  no heat and almost no curry flavor.  The egg fried rice couldn't have fried for long, if at all. It seemed to me it was boiled rice mixed with peas and bits of fried egg. It tasted OK, but could have done with some seasoning.

Why in the world Retox didn't serve the chicken balls with a sweet and sour sauce on the side I can't begin to guess.  That strikes me as a more natural pairing than curry sauce and chips.  I livened up my chicken balls and rice with a few splashes of Tabasco and seasoning sauce from the condiment box. 

Portion size isn't a major concern for me.  I'd rather have a modest amount of good food on  my plate than a heaping portion of mediocre or poor food.  The special consisted of eight chicken balls and rice.  It was OK for me as I wasn't very hungry,  but I can imagine others would find it rather meager, even with chips.  There are farang restaurants nearby where you can get a bigger meal for 150 baht or under.

Retox Game On is offering Hanoi Beer from Viet Nam at 95 baht. It also has an "all-you-can-drink" offer on Tiger draft on Mondays between 6.00 p.m. and 8.00 p.m. for 499 baht.

IMG_0089.jpg.869571715db3388e0dbf08c26a6ea39b.jpg...IMG_0094.jpg.1d05fb091828fe0a95d623cc73c95e59.jpg

Bottom line:  For me it was a good meal because of the quality of the chicken balls.  I'm less sure it was a good special at 149 baht.

Evil

Two specials are worth mentioning.  The pics come from the restaurants' Web sites.

Kilkenny on LK Metro:

porkchop.jpg.0a412f73ec0d30bc2d3b2085b0a7f25d.jpg

At Retox Game On for 199 baht:

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.1bef2d89038f1885960820224fc7fc1f.jpg

The description from the Retox Facebook page:

"Another new Retox Special. 
Pepperoni pizza angus beef burger 
Chargrilled angus beef burger then oven baked and topped with pepperoni and melted mozzarella, lettuce, tomato, onion rings , brioche bun and topped with a pepperoni aricini (sic)
Skinny fries 
Warm side of pizza sauce 
Only 199 baht."

Arancini are stuffed and deep-fried rice balls.  No one can fault Retox for a lack of originality.

I'm in more of a pork chop than burger mood, so I'll try the Kilkenny special this evening.

Evil

• Thumbs up 2

On 8/16/2018 at 5:30 PM, Evil Penevil said:

I tried Wednesday's special at Retox Game On (Soi Honey near 2nd Road)  by accident.  I was walking past, it started to rain and I didn't have an umbrella, so I ducked in to have dinner while I waited for the rain to stop.

Conceptually, the day's special sounded a bit weird to me.  Why serve Chinese chicken balls with chips and curry sauce?   Was that what made it "English style?" Anyway, I gave it a try. I asked if I could substitute extra fried rice for the chips and the waitress readily agreed.

I'm including this in the "Good" thread because the chicken balls themselves were very nice- lightly battered pieces of chicken breast, fried crispy but juicy on the inside. 

I was less impressed with the rest of the meal.  The curry sauce was the blandest I've ever tasted-  no heat and almost no curry flavor.  The egg fried rice couldn't have fried for long, if at all. It seemed to me it was boiled rice mixed with peas and bits of fried egg. It tasted OK, but could have done with some seasoning.

Why in the world Retox didn't serve the chicken balls with a sweet and sour sauce on the side I can't begin to guess.  That strikes me as a more natural pairing than curry sauce and chips.  I livened up my chicken balls and rice with a few splashes of Tabasco and seasoning sauce from the condiment box. 

Portion size isn't a major concern for me.  I'd rather have a modest amount of good food on  my plate than a heaping portion of mediocre or poor food.  The special consisted of eight chicken balls and rice.  It was OK for me as I wasn't very hungry,  but I can imagine others would find it rather meager, even with chips.  There are farang restaurants nearby where you can get a bigger meal for 150 baht or under.

Retox Game On is offering Hanoi Beer from Viet Nam at 95 baht. It also has an "all-you-can-drink" offer on Tiger draft on Mondays between 6.00 p.m. and 8.00 p.m. for 499 baht.

IMG_0089.jpg.869571715db3388e0dbf08c26a6ea39b.jpg...IMG_0094.jpg.1d05fb091828fe0a95d623cc73c95e59.jpg

Bottom line:  For me it was a good meal because of the quality of the chicken balls.  I'm less sure it was a good special at 149 baht.

Evil

Hanoi beer is great 30 Baht a bottle in Hanoi but for imported beer obviously much more. Nice posts Evil. 

Chinese British curry sauce is for dipping your chips in and is very bland as you say. My own fave would be the Arancini ...lovely when cooked well.

1 hour ago, Evil Penevil said:

Two specials are worth mentioning.  The pics come from the restaurants' Web sites.

Kilkenny on LK Metro:

porkchop.jpg.0a412f73ec0d30bc2d3b2085b0a7f25d.jpg

At Retox Game On for 199 baht:

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.1bef2d89038f1885960820224fc7fc1f.jpg

The description from the Retox Facebook page:

"Another new Retox Special. 
Pepperoni pizza angus beef burger 
Chargrilled angus beef burger then oven baked and topped with pepperoni and melted mozzarella, lettuce, tomato, onion rings , brioche bun and topped with a pepperoni aricini (sic)
Skinny fries 
Warm side of pizza sauce 
Only 199 baht."

Arancini are stuffed and deep-fried rice balls.  No one can fault Retox for a lack of originality.

I'm in more of a pork chop than burger mood, so I'll try the Kilkenny special this evening.

Evil

You have to hand it to the Retox group and Robin Hood they do have a go ...

2 hours ago, Parky said:

They certainly do. 199 baht for the pizza burger is a give away at that price.

19 hours ago, Parky said:

16 hours ago, Murchie said:

They certainly do. 199 baht for the pizza burger is a give away at that price.

Simon of Retox is certainly no slouch when it comes to effective marketing.  He has stated publicly that Retox as a whole loses money on its food operations, but makes a profit on its sales of booze.  Specials like the pizza burger keep interest in the group alive as it is a unique offer not available anywhere else. I used to love pizza burgers as a kid, but haven't had one in decades.  I really do look forward to trying the pizza burger at Retox Game On.

Last Sunday I went back to the Marquee on Soi Buakhao near the night market to try the 100-baht roast dinner again. I had the chicken dinner this time at about 4.00 p.m.

16.jpg.435aa167eea069aeee359dac600b1f79.jpg

I certainly couldn't complain for the price.  The chicken breast had been baked and was juicy.  The Yorkshire pudding was crisp and light, not at all chewy.  The vegetables and roast potatoes were fine as well.  

_MG_0010.thumb.jpg.fa79d8b0c8124ea3d05f8bd20af4b6e9.jpg

I had a cup of coffee (40 baht) after the meal and it came in a larger cup than you usually get.  All in all, I was happy with the meal.  It's not a huge portion, but certainly enough for me.   

15.jpg.c2ca6006e382dd92f776cef39a76d09d.jpg

I've been to the Marquee several times on Sundays at 6.00 p.m. or 7.00 p.m.  and they had already run out of roast dinners.  It appears to be a popular Sunday option, even in low season.  Like with every carvery or fixed-plate roast dinner,  the earlier you get to the restaurant, the better it will be.  I wrote a longer review of the Marquee's beef roast dinner here.

This is the pork chop special I had last night at Kilkenny on LK Metro for 175 baht:

Untitled-1a.thumb.jpg.2431e07e714dc6247aa77c188309abdb.jpg

Everything was good.  The pork had been fried properly and wasn't dry.  The mashed potatoes and gravy were fine and the vegetables weren't overcooked.

IMG_0018a.thumb.jpg.4bfd52931db68e16f4b8bfe1e0064303.jpg

My SML cost 60 baht, so I had a tasty and filling meal for 235 baht. BTW, the open bars and restaurants of LK Metro were doing a rousing trade last night.  Plenty of foot traffic as well.  I wouldn't have guessed it was low season judging only by the number of people  I saw out and about.  

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Thumbs up 1

Time for a healthy meal, or at least a healthier one, at Five Star J, Pattaya's leading restaurant for vegetarian and vegan food. It's located on the corner of Pattaya Tai and 3rd Road.  They don't have meat of any sort on the menu, nor do they use trans fats, palm oil, MSG or refined sugar in their dishes.  Vegan and Jain options without animal products of any sort are also available.  For less strict vegetarians, there are dishes with eggs, dairy and root vegetables.

IMG_0025.jpg.843122c81302ee3efec283ab232b4451.jpg

I had one of my personal favorites, Swiss rösti with fried eggs, for 189 baht.  Rösti is essentially a big potato pancake made from grated potatoes.  At Five Star J, diners had the option of topping it with non-gelatin Parmesan cheese or vegan cheese. I took the Parmesan.  The rösti and eggs were fried in coconut oil,  Not much more to say than it was very good! It would have been even better with a 8-oz. piece of rib eye cooked medium rare or a few slices of bacon, but that's not the spirit of things in this restaurant.

IMG_0027.jpg.ec3e62a7c0411c6a360e342de3eddf38.jpg

I also indulged myself with black sesame dumplings in ginger syrup (69 baht) for dessert.  The syrup had a much stronger ginger flavor than you usually get in Chinese restaurants.  Loved it!

ginger.thumb.jpg.8de794665f25f8d6842f7cb1d8fb37bb.jpg

One thing to note:  Five Star J does add 7% to the menu prices bur no service charge.  The rösti and eggs cost 189 baht, the dumplings 69 baht, which is 258 baht.  With the 7% VAT (18 baht), my total bill was 276 baht. Water is free.  I left 24 baht as a tip for the friendly service.

Five Star J has an extensive menu with vegetarian and vegan variations of many Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Chinese and Indian dishes. There are also several Western dishes including vegetarian versions of hamburgers, pasta and pizza. Prices are reasonable, with a lot of dishes under 200 baht. Everything is cooked to order, so you may have to wait longer than usual for your order to appear in front of you.

I did a longer review of Five Star J last year in this thread. (Link)

Bottom line:  If you want to give yourself a break from steaks, Western fast food, Sunday roast dinners, Thai food from the stalls and carts as well as English breakfasts, Five Star J is a good place to start for tasty options. I'm not about to become a vegetarian, but in the interests of my digestive system, cholesterol level and waistline, I do try to eat at Five Star J a few times a week.  You can also order online and have the food delivered.

Evil

IMG_0011.thumb.jpg.8efdbf4ca48bd1a07552db7b27476a24.jpg

The Golf Club on LK Metro is a long-time solid performer for good food at reasonable prices with plenty of main dishes under 300 baht.  The emphasis is on U.S.-style comfort food, but there are also numerous Thai and U.K. standards on the menu.

IMG_0010.thumb.jpg.ea51826c9976eddd5a11d05446905d2a.jpg

IMG_0013.thumb.jpg.56739bd66fefdf07fdbdf1b067009d18.jpg

In a fit of nostalgia last night, I had the Chicken a la King at 150 baht.  It's an American classic, invented at least 130 years ago.  Stories of its origin vary.  One version says it was named for a hotel owner in New York City; another claims it carries the name of the Philadelphia chef who invented it.

IMG_0103.jpg.684cd360205d23063550a4e45952cad9.jpg

It consists of cubed chicken, mushrooms, sweet peppers and sometimes other vegetables  served over rice, toast or noodles.  It's always been seen as a great way to use up leftover chicken or turkey, but at the height of its popularity in the 1950's, it was often made using fresh chicken breasts.  I remember it fondly from both elementary school lunches over noodles and post-Thanksgiving and Christmas meals at home on toast.

IMG_0094.jpg.8bff46e160a24d5517030e955000758a.jpg

The Golf Club's Chicken a la King adds broccoli to the basic ingredients and is served over rice. It was very good!

IMG_0096.thumb.jpg.1fe0cadf910ce0871056abe1d2da540f.jpg

Last week I had another iconic American specialty, a Reuben sandwich, at 195 baht.  It's a signature dish at the Golf Club.

IMG_0098.thumb.jpg.152a2be27b1fd0dccab7e4dfc89c2b9f.jpg

It consists of corned beef, Swiss cheese, sauerkraut and Russian dressing grilled between pieces of rye bread. It was real New York deli rye, not the faux variety you sometimes get in Thailand.

IMG_0099.thumb.jpg.bd0c1022da559007e94fcadc3dcce034.jpg

The Reuben was good, but didn't contain as much corned beef or sauerkraut as I remembered from past visits.  This what a Reuben sandwich at Katz Deli in NYC looks like: 

781246210_Katzs_Deli_-_Lunch.thumb.jpg.0ed02a182c08bbc44691e8c2b3f530c9.jpg

The above pic is from the Internet. By Ernesto Andrade - Flickr, CC BY 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=3022275 

However, it's not likely you'll be getting anything like that in Thailand and if you did, it would cost far more than 195 baht.  You have to be realistic in your expectations for foreign specialties here.

An American classic the Golf Club does very well is the chili burger.  It's a thick patty of beef topped with U.S.-style Springfield chili con carne.  The chili is spicy but not firehouse hot.

chiliburger.jpg.4f0411217ba76f883512c167e40de554.jpg

A couple of other points:  The Golf Club has "steak nights" when steak is grilled in front of the restaurant, but the price puts it outside the under-300-baht category.  It's also one of a very few restaurants in Pattaya with grits on the menu.

Bottom line:  The Golf Club remains one of the better options in Pattaya for U.S. comfort food. 

Evil

Speaking of Reuben sandwiches, I had a good one from Pattaya Meals.com (pattayameals.com) the other day.  Pattaya Meals is a food preparation and delivery service without dine-in facilities.  You order by phone or through Facebook and your food arrives at your door within 45 minutes, depending on where you live, traffic and what you order.  I usually have my order in 30 minutes.  There's no delivery charge and you don't have to tip the driver, but I always do.   The Reuben in the pics cost 265 baht and came with a dill pickle and a choice of macaroni salad, potato wedges or onion rings. A good Reuben for Pattaya but still light years from what you get at a U.S. deli.

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.5acfcf5025fcec46a9601fe9d46b3ff9.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg.8c19c9283064cb9255817fd9b93b1ebd.jpg

IMG_0040.thumb.jpg.03e84edb0d17d750cd4d02bbfeaaa989.jpg

Pattaya Meals offers about 100 different meals in various categories: Western, Thai, healthy and pizzas, plus side orders and a few desserts and beverages. The most expensive dishes on the menu are a couple of pizzas at 325 baht.  All the rest come in at under 300 baht, with many under 200 baht.  Check out the Web site  (pattayameals.com) for a complete list with prices and pictures. Every 10th meal is free. Operating hours are 11.30 a.m. to 11.30 p.m.

I have ordered from Pattaya Meals dozens of times and never been disappointed.  It's a very convenient option on the days I don't feel like going out to eat or cooking.

Evil

I'll probably get some negative responses to the following review, but "Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war."

I ate dinner at 7.00 p.m. a few nights ago at the Beer Garden at the Beach Road end of Walking Street.  It wasn't my choice, but a friend from the U.S. wanted to eat there. I had had a bad meal at BG a few months ago and had more or less given up on the BG's food. The location and view make it a great place for a drink, but the food has become very hit-and-miss.  I went there to keep him company and wasn't sure I would order a meal.  He and his GF had arrived a few minutes before me and had gotten a table on the veranda in the section closet to the entrance.  

The music was so loud I told my friend I wouldn't sit there.  He could barely understand what I said from across the table.  Never before have I heard the music that deafening at Beer Garden.  My friend called over one of the female managers and asked if the music could be turned down.  She said it couldn't as it was controlled by computer, but offered to move us to the far end of the veranda where the volume was indeed much lower.  That's a big plus on the service side for the BG.

IMG_0121.jpg.de6e9ba76284a842a7e0acf3c7bab42c.jpg

My friend ordered a garden salad for 80 baht and the fish and chips for 195 baht.  He asked if he could substitute a baked potato for the chips and that was no problem.  He thought it was a very good meal.  I'm relating his opinion here, not mine. 

IMG_0124.jpg.c9f5a97e25a58ba62dbdf5630382461a.jpg

It was a big portion of salad for 80 baht. It came with two sorts of salad dressing and a small dish of potato salad.

IMG_0126.jpg.4e14873f84d0d6e4d04d12c841e5f147.jpg

The vegetables that were supposed to be crispy were and the tomatoes had flavor, he said.He commented that he had had smaller plates of salad for a higher price in Pattaya that weren't as fresh as this one.

IMG_0133.jpg.4258cc4e8ae86556bc89920092951b80.jpg

He thought the fish was properly breaded and fried, still flaky on the inside.  He didn't know what sort of fish it was- the menu didn't say- but said it tasted fine.  It came with peas, tartar sauce and as requested, a baked potato instead of fries.

5bc0ebefeecb1_IMG_01371.jpg.5a87c52a8edf5f21514c137f1bb336dc.jpg

His GF ordered ordered a spicy Thai salad and a bowl of soup, which I didn't bother to photograph.  She said it was good, but I noticed she didn't eat all of it,  She had a Singapore Sling for 200 baht along with her meal.  I wasn't very hungry and ordered stir-fried vegetables with tofu and cashew nuts (120 baht) and an order of steamed rice (40 baht). Unfortunately, I can't say it was good.  The tofu had a weird texture and I didn't eat much of it.  The veggies were OK, but nothing special and the sauce was a bit too salty. 

Untitled-1.jpg.76ab369d26e9e04f9915fea91187da36.jpg

Bottom line:  My friend will continue to eat at the Beer Garden as he said he's never had a bad meal there.  I probably won't, as it's been a long time since I've had a good meal at the BG.  And if the music remains nightclub loud,  I definitely won't even have a drink there unless I can be seated at the far end of the veranda.

When we sat down about 7 p.m., there were a lot of seats available on the veranda.  By eight p.m., when we chek binned, the veranda was full and the covered section roughly half-full.  I noticed five groups of Asian tourists (with four to eight people in each) dining on the veranda.  Neither he nor I could recall seeing as many Asians in BG before. It does seem to have expanded its customer base and remains one of the busier restaurants in central Pattaya.

Evil

• Like 1

IMG_00693.jpg.d9960a3f7f1c07b18d2e24a0a7dad079.jpg

Chunky Monkey is a new restaurant on Soi Buakhao, open less than a week. It's located just north of Tree Town on the east side of Bukhao.  I read that the original owner of the Robin's Nest is behind it, but I don't know any details.

IMG_004615.jpg.4d350159b53ced5e94cf40942fd0d235.jpg

I had the "Monkey Madness" pork chop with fried onions, crinkle-cut French fries and small portions of salad and applesauce.

IMG_00512.jpg.f292dd4eb5e47bdf8ec03dd9736e1d08.jpg

It was good considering the price (79 baht).  

IMG_005728.jpg.c9506f6262dff5dbfac5d5a1d6e09cbe.jpg

The chop had been fried properly and tasted fine.  It was a bit thin, but what can you expect for 79 baht?

IMG_0062510.jpg.a855530938d50595ec70f8e784514f14.jpg

I wish the onions had been fried a bit longer to allow more caramelization, but that's a minor criticism. The fries were crispy outside, fluffy inside and the salad was fresh.

IMG_005949.jpg.0d4de944bf18c49f181159a1f04e0341.jpg

The Chunky Monkey has 99-baht daily specials in addition to the 79-baht Monkey Madness offers. The specials appear to give about a 50-baht discount compared with the ordinary menu prices.

IMG_005087.jpg.3ea75650dbe441f9604c8d92159af151.jpg

The menu is extensive, running to over 100 food items.  Like dozens of other Pattaya restaurants, the emphasis is on British and international comfort food, but the menu also includes about 20 Thai dishes and 10 desserts.

IMG_004111a.jpg.84cce7a7ea9511523582240f6eca2efa.jpg

Most of the menu items are under 200 baht. The sirloin and ribeye steaks with egg, fries, tomato and peas are 249 baht.  The most expensive menu item I could see was the salmon with parsley sauce, mash and peas at 289 baht.

IMG_004876a.jpg.7d15eeb014b5f710ce3fee8f8891c81f.jpg

The Chunky Monkey offers breakfast as well.  I forgot to ask the hours of operation, but I imagine it's early until late.

IMG_004232a.jpg.e21685f91aad3ee778d570ef990f4090.jpg

It's a spacious restaurant with several wall-mounted TVs for sports fans.  My rough estimate is 70 seats indoors and at least 15 outside.  The indoor section is no smoking. I ate there at about 10.15 p.m. and there were 10 other diners at that time.

IMG_0063611.jpg.76c1acff4f876dadcfc7b9be5c8405ba.jpg

IMG_004454.jpg.e2edc5e37dd7bef00b20a1b408eb1ec8.jpg

IMG_0064712a.jpg.46d4847660c060883e0056e9c09c65e5.jpg

Bottom line: The Chunky Monkey is cheap and cheerful. The service was fast, friendly and attentive. If by choice or necessity you don't want to spend a lot to eat farang food, it would appear a good option.  It's still very early days, but the location on Soi Buakhao bodes well for attracting budget-conscious customers.  I have to say, though, that I don't think much of the name.

And in fairness, you can add 50 to 100 baht to the Chunky Monkey's price and get a much bigger pork chop dinner with mashed potatoes and veggies at several restaurants in the LK Metro area.  But if a smaller-to- normal portion is good enough for you, the Chunky Monkey offers great value for money.

Evil

On 8/16/2018 at 11:30 PM, Evil Penevil said:

Evil

hanoi beer is nice , but at 95 b  its about 60 b more expensive than in hanoi itself .

i know it has to get here from vietnam but there is free trade in the ASEAN countries .

2 hours ago, aw1 said:

79 baht? Wtf? 🤣

Nando’s clientele 🤣🤣😎😎

6 hours ago, Parky said:

Nando’s clientele 🤣🤣😎😎

Deffo.....tight arse chavs.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, aw1 said:

Deffo.....tight arse chavs.

79  baht ??  Hi So honey 🍯 trampers 

For those who enjoy breakfast burritos, Smokin Joe's on Soi Lengkee has a decent one: 

IMG_0025.jpg

The breakfast burrito is a Tex-Mex innovation that dates back only to the 1970's, but quickly became popular and was included on the menus of several fast food chains. Now it's widely available as a breakfast item in all sorts of U.S. restaurants, not just those with a Mexican connection. Breakfast burritos come in many variations and the one at Smokin Joe's consists of a 12-inch lightly browned wheat flour tortilla filled with scrambled eggs, cheddar cheese and bits of sausage and smoked bacon. Condiments from ketchup through Tabasco are available for those who want additional flavor. It's very tasty, mainly because good quality sausage and bacon are used.

IMG_0024.jpg

The price was 175 baht and includes a cup of coffee or tea. I know a much bigger breakfast is available close by for 99 baht and that 99-baht or lower breakfast specials abound in Pattaya. However, that doesn't help anyone who want a breakfast burrito rather than an English fry-up or American breakfast.  Retox Game On (2nd Road and Soi Honey) also has a breakfast burrito for 175 baht. I haven't tried it yet, but will. It comes with baked beans as one of the ingredients and I'll ask for them to skip that in my order.

I have tried the breakfast burrito at the Golf Club on LK Metro for 80 baht (or is it 100 baht?). It was good, but very different from the Smokin Joe's version. At the GC, the breakfast burrito contained scrambled eggs, cheese, salsa and refried beans in a flour tortilla. It had more of a spicy Tex Mex flavor. It was wetter and messier than at Smokin Joe's and had to be eaten with a knife and fork. Some foods don't photograph well and this is one of them, so I'll skip the pic.

Those were some suggestions for breakfast burritos in Pattaya. Are there others?

Evil

• Like 1