Latest News
  • *** mulphys birthday on october 31st , little party at the rockhouse *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril *** mulphys birthday on october 31st , little party at the rockhouse *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril ***

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
Andrew19

UEFA Champions League 2016/2017

18 minutes ago, Parky said:

Malmo reached the final one tune that would never be allowed now . The sponsors of the big teams would not allow it.

And who beat them in that final ?. The mighty Nottingham Forest. That sort of final will never happen again as long as humans have a hole in their arse.

10 hours ago, mulphy said:

football at european level is no longer a level playing field .

Hasn't been for some time and the new changes make it more so.

To hell with them let them go make a boring super league if they can't survive without all this help through guaranteed places and seeding. 

How about this there are 54 member nations in UEFA, so have sixteen groups of four teams with no seeding. Of course you are ten teams short so UEFA can give these to the big clubs that will cry if they can't play. Only the winners will qualify for the knock out stage and no seeding there either.

Seeding will never stop the big sponsors  want the glamour teams,  simple as that ... 

20 minutes ago, Buckfast said:

True. It's all about money. It's what makes the world go around.

Agreed but sport was meant to be above it , reality it's not and the way Chelsea were treated in this competition is clear evidence ... 

But golf and tennis in Olympics never in my life time has money been so clearly number one , perhaps I was naive back in the day ... 

On 8/28/2016 at 8:25 AM, mulphy said:

but thats were it fails , because leicester are not a particularly good team despite winning the english premiership last year .

do you really think they can win the champions league ?

i have a feeling simply because of the section they have found themselves drawn in they might now qualify from that group , but i cant see them going any further than that .

had they not have been seeded i couldnt have seen them qualifying from any group .

only 1 thing seperates any team from another and thats money , be that obscene tv revenue in comparison to other nations thus giving advantage or obscene investment privately also giving advantage .

thats were the champions league is flawed as a competition , when you have teams paying more for one player against teams whos squad , stadium , and all their total assets are not valued as much as that one player .

football at european level is no longer a level playing field .

Leicester aren't likely to win the Champions League, yet they were considered to be prime candidates for relegation last season and won the EPL. It's one of the top 5-6 clubs that can win the Champions League, the rest are long shots but are needed to spice up the competition. 

I would consider Leicester to be far better than 10 clubs that have qualified to the group stage and overall to be better than half of the teams, so qualifying is what is expected of them. I expect them to get to the quarter finals, unless they are paired with Dortmund in the round of 16. 

Money makes the world go round but as you can see some clubs are overachievers, while other clubs are underachievers. Real Madrid have more money than Celtic, Celtic have more money than Basel, Basel have more money than Ludogorets. For all their money English clubs haven't been performing very well in Europe in the last few years, hopefully this will change for the better soon.

You can argue that the champions league is flawed as a competition, the same could be said pretty much for every competition, whether it's the FA cup, the EPL, the SPL or the Isthmian Premier League. It's been that way since the end of World War 2 when you had teams of pro players facing guys who have full time jobs. 

On 8/28/2016 at 9:42 PM, Parky said:

But golf and tennis in Olympics never in my life time has money been so clearly number one , perhaps I was naive back in the day ... 

If it's a pro sport, money is number one.  

Leicester got to quafily for the quarter finals, maybe they get to the semis as well, if they get paired with Barcelona. Because nobody would expect them to win. 

Expect to see some great games in the quarter finals though. 

25 minutes ago, Andrew19 said:

Leicester got to quafily for the quarter finals, maybe they get to the semis as well, if they get paired with Barcelona. Because nobody would expect them to win. 

Expect to see some great games in the quarter finals though. 

With their style , defend in numbers and break for sure they could..

Its rather sad the senior players downed tools for Ranieri .... Player power, 

• Like 1

Watching Barcelona, Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid yesterday I think that only one of them might get to qualify in the semis. Barcelona have many problems in their defence, and were exposed when they lost against PSG and lost against Malaga. Real Madrid only have 2 fit central defenders left and one of them is Ramos who will get a yellow card soon in the game. Ronaldo has lost a bit of pace and while Benzema and Bale don't look at their best. Atletico Madrid have punched above their weight but it's going to be an end of an era for them in the summer with Simeone leaving the club, Griezmann sold to the highest bidder and many players in the wrong side of 30. 

Now Barcelona are playing against Juventus, a team not performing well, if it wasn't for Higuain they wouldn't have been leading the table in Italy. Barcelona though will maintain possession at a ridiculous level as usual and this will help them to get a decent result in Italy (even if they lose by 1 goal) and will get to qualify in the end. Real Madrid will struggle against Bayern, might get to see them trashed as well. Leicester seem to have recovered after the sacking of Ranieri and could make headlines once more by beating Atletico. Leicester can beat Atletico in their own game.

The final clash would be Borussia Dortmund vs Monaco. This can go either way, but Borussia are the favourites here. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Murchie said:

Or the forth place cup as Arsenal fans know it. 

18 hours ago, Murchie said:

Yes it is it gets the team in Europe with the money but ensures the brand stays strong..

All teams would rather be top 4 than win FA cup tragic but true .. 

When I was lad FA cup massive ...