Latest News
  • *** word of the day LOYALTY *** POODLE . word of the day now expired . *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril *** INTEGRITY was word of the day. even though we spelt it wrong . *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril ***

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
thinkingallowed

Motorcycle advice

Our youngest leaves school this year and as I bought his elder brother a motorbike at this stage I have to do the same for him. 

I allowed the elder one to choose the bike and he picked the stupid Honda MSX. I did try to tell him if he wanted a motorbike rather than a scooter type the CBR 150 was a better choice or a more sensible bike was the PCX. Eighteen months later he realised his mistake and ends up wanting to sell it to get a scooter. I made him suffer for six more months before I arranged the sale and gave him more money to get a new one. 

So I'm thinking I'm not going to do that again and I'll choose this time. My initial thoughts are get him the PCX but I don't know that much about bikes so is it still the best thing on the market at the moment in its range? 

He'll be using it around town and commuting about 60 km home at weekends. 

Personally I shudder at the thought of a inexperienced driver on a bike ( yes I had a bsa super rocket at 16 brought it with my money when mum and dad were away overseas) but the traffic volumes weren't  like they are to day or the speed the traffic travels ,i look back at the gravel rash and close calls I had

I have already told the Mrs young fella I refuse to help him in to a bike but will give him a old corolla all road legal all he has to do is insure it and put fuel in rather see a protective layer of steel around him, this is partly from having mates in long term fracture wards and permanent limps

Slight thread f##k I know

6 minutes ago, nickrock said:

Personally I shudder at the thought of a inexperienced driver on a bike ( yes I had a bsa super rocket at 16 brought it with my money when mum and dad were away overseas) but the traffic volumes weren't  like they are to day or the speed the traffic travels ,i look back at the gravel rash and close calls I had

I have already told the Mrs young fella I refuse to help him in to a bike but will give him a old corolla all road legal all he has to do is insure it and put fuel in rather see a protective layer of steel around him, this is partly from having mates in long term fracture wards and permanent limps

I absolutely agree mate and the £2000 it will cost for a bike would get a very nice second hand run around here in the UK but the second hand car market is crazy in Thailand and that money would get you zilch. 

Luckily the roads aren't that busy up where we live and he's a sensible lad who's been riding around the village for a few years now. 

10 old year plus cars are worth nothing here I have a 20 year old corolla I use as a shopping cart etc paid less than $400 nz looked real tatty

we bought my eldest stepdaughter a mocy.i for one hate them.2 hospital bills later ,and paying for repairs,i said never again .my youngest stepdaughter now uses it.my wife wants one and ive said"no".she is now taking driving lessons.

1 hour ago, matthewh said:

we bought my eldest stepdaughter a mocy.i for one hate them.2 hospital bills later ,and paying for repairs,i said never again .my youngest stepdaughter now uses it.my wife wants one and ive said"no".she is now taking driving lessons.

Really dangerous I couldn't agree more. Everyone in Thailand has a family member or close friend killed or seriously injured on a motorcycle.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Buckfast said:

Really dangerous I couldn't agree more. Everyone in Thailand has a family member or close friend killed or seriously injured on a motorcycle.

Indeed.....however, there is a tradeoff in the quality of life aspect in using a scooter here in Bangkok anyway, versus wasting half your life sitting in a traffic jam. I opt to drive the scooter versus entrusting some oaf dressed as a mototaxi dude to risk my life.

Now if I was in Pattaya I am not so sure I would even take the risk of being the driver on a scooter....after all to enjoy a semblance of quality of life you need to be alive. Them are some crazy yaba heads driving in Pattaya. Only place I have ever seen such dangerous driving across the board as I have seen in Pattaya is in rural China.

2 hours ago, STARGAZER said:

Indeed.....however, there is a tradeoff in the quality of life aspect in using a scooter here in Bangkok anyway, versus wasting half your life sitting in a traffic jam. I opt to drive the scooter versus entrusting some oaf dressed as a mototaxi dude to risk my life.

Now if I was in Pattaya I am not so sure I would even take the risk of being the driver on a scooter....after all to enjoy a semblance of quality of life you need to be alive. Them are some crazy yaba heads driving in Pattaya. Only place I have ever seen such dangerous driving across the board as I have seen in Pattaya is in rural China.

Laos riders/drivers are the worst I have ever encountered - simply beyond stupid with no respect for anybody let alone themselves.

3 minutes ago, Smiler said:

Laos riders/drivers are the worst I have ever encountered - simply beyond stupid with no respect for anybody let alone themselves.

but at least they drive on the 'right' side of the road.

• Like 1

My previous three bikes in Thailand , the Vulcan lots of torque great relaxed riding position... 

IMG_0811.thumb.JPG.1b8996453564db72753e866e60ec1f42.JPG

The Versys , cramped leg position and racy engine only a 650 they make a 1000 four cylinder, I would guess it's better ... lots of riders like the Versys but for me looked better than it rode IMHO..

IMG_0810.thumb.JPG.1e01f173f89fbffc5fbe85c8feb7f1f2.JPG

Z800 a new classic the smaller brother of the classic Z1000 , heavier than the 1000 but a better ride ...found the riding position heavy on wrists like the Dukes, very smooth and wants to go quick...

IMG_0808.thumb.JPG.4953805810ca94e23ce9a4a4cab33b61.JPG

One of the the nicest things I have found about retirement is you can have time to mess around round with bikes , great weather here for it....

My latest is best bike I have ever had, the biggest seller in Europe, BMW1200 GSA had it 3 months put 5k on it so far , great road presence.. Been to Korat, Nong Kai , Buan Gun, Buriram , Khon Kean... 

Stock image of the bike below....

IMG_0812.thumb.PNG.783863f6389443f304876cfd7e49e3bd.PNG

Safe riding guys.... 

• Like 1

Mate of mine is soon heading of to do Cairo to capetown ,we told him we would pay the Somalis to not release him

7 hours ago, nickrock said:

Mate of mine is soon heading of to do Cairo to capetown ,we told him we would pay the Somalis to not release him

What bike is he on ? Some trip...

I think he's taking his BMW he just got back from a south america trip ,he only works between holidays

2 minutes ago, nickrock said:

I think he's taking his BMW he just got back from a south america trip ,he only works between holidays

Nice.... There must be some decent trips in Aus.. I remember Bruiser telling me about a few he had the Big Suzuki...

2 minutes ago, Parky said:

Nice.... There must be some decent trips in Aus.. I remember Bruiser telling me about a few he had the Big Suzuki...

Bruiser has been taking bike trips in the Philippines now boss.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Parky said:

He did a circumnavigation of aussie a few years back on his black shadow which was a big ask of a bike of that vintage  think they had vincents from all over the world

Not sure I would be that keen of shipping a bike of that value overseas and the tender mercies of some wharfie

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nickrock said:

He did a circumnavigation of aussie a few years back on his black shadow which was a big ask of a bike of that vintage  think they had vincents from all over the world

Not sure I would be that keen of shipping a bike of that value overseas and the tender mercies of some wharfie

What a great experience , those old bikes are worth bundles .. I saw a 1973 Kawasaki 2 stroke triple sell for £5000 ...

The insurance would have been well fierce for that trip ...

You could buy a really nice new car or a deposit on a house or buy one of them they go well but rubbish brakes and lights

On 2/9/2017 at 7:43 AM, Buckfast said:

I used to be crazy on the things, would go out and get totally hammered then drive home. I would also drive them at speed, luckily the only accident I ever had was while taking a corner at a relatively slow speed and the front wheel slipped on some loose gravel and I went down, nothing more than some skin lost of the legs.

Looking back at what I used to get up to I was extremely lucky, I don't touch a bike now. Sober or pissed have known too many who have gone the way of the Dodo often due to no fault of their own.

2 hours ago, Buckfast said:

Bruiser has been taking bike trips in the Philippines now boss.

Yes I noticed a thread on Philippine Addicts that mentioned Bruiser and a big bike trip, think it is in March or April, all welcome. Good time for Parky to get across.......some good bike trips in P.I with plenty of panoramic vistas and eye candy along the way.

51 minutes ago, The Tongue said:

Yes I noticed a thread on Philippine Addicts that mentioned Bruiser and a big bike trip, think it is in March or April, all welcome. Good time for Parky to get across.......some good bike trips in P.I with plenty of panoramic vistas and eye candy along the way.

Would be nice,,, but I like to ride my own bike... Also they ride on the wrong side of the road... hated it in America, Spain..

But there must be some great jaunts...

5 hours ago, Parky said:

Would be nice,,, but I like to ride my own bike... Also they ride on the wrong side of the road... hated it in America, Spain..

But there must be some great jaunts...

A wife hears on the radio that a man is driving on the wrong side of the road,and weaving so he doesn't hit any drivers, worried about her husband she calls on him on their cell. "Honey! Oh I heard on the radio that a man is driving on the left side of the road and is weaving so he doesn't hit cars. Be careful!" "Oh it's not just one car! There's about a hundred passing me on the wrong side!

• Like 1

On 08/02/2017 at 1:08 PM, nickrock said:

Have a look at the Facebook page 'Bad driving in Thailand' the reality is shocking.

On 14/02/2017 at 10:59 PM, Parky said:

My previous three bikes in Thailand , the Vulcan lots of torque great relaxed riding position... 

IMG_0811.thumb.JPG.1b8996453564db72753e866e60ec1f42.JPG

The Versys , cramped leg position and racy engine only a 650 they make a 1000 four cylinder, I would guess it's better ... lots of riders like the Versys but for me looked better than it rode IMHO..

IMG_0810.thumb.JPG.1e01f173f89fbffc5fbe85c8feb7f1f2.JPG

Z800 a new classic the smaller brother of the classic Z1000 , heavier than the 1000 but a better ride ...found the riding position heavy on wrists like the Dukes, very smooth and wants to go quick...

IMG_0808.thumb.JPG.4953805810ca94e23ce9a4a4cab33b61.JPG

One of the the nicest things I have found about retirement is you can have time to mess around round with bikes , great weather here for it....

My latest is best bike I have ever had, the biggest seller in Europe, BMW1200 GSA had it 3 months put 5k on it so far , great road presence.. Been to Korat, Nong Kai , Buan Gun, Buriram , Khon Kean... 

Stock image of the bike below....

IMG_0812.thumb.PNG.783863f6389443f304876cfd7e49e3bd.PNG

Safe riding guys.... 

Nice bike Joe. Enjoyed our ride down to Baan Chang. Need to do it again soon.

• Like 1