Latest News
  • *** POODLE . word of the day . *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril *** INTEGRITY was word of the day . *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril ***

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
thinkingallowed

Gulf Air

7 minutes ago, Parky said:

Well done, how far from the airport is Mr and Mrs Thinkings drum ?

143 km. Jumped in a meter taxi at the airport, will be about 1500 including a tip. The wonders of Google maps because of course non of the taxi guys at the airport had heard of the village. 

Just 100 km to go. 

7 minutes ago, thinkingallowed said:

143 km. Jumped in a meter taxi at the airport, will be about 1500 including a tip. The wonders of Google maps because of course non of the taxi guys at the airport had heard of the village. 

Just 100 km to go. 

Some journey you have done :) have a great trip 

14 hours ago, thai spice said:

Nice.report Mate.  Never flew with them, Emirates being my regular, but now may give it a.thought !

Enjoy your stay ! WE to BKK booked for May 5th on my side.

Emirates opened their new lounge in BKK last week.  Let us know your views if your in there.

2 hours ago, kwa said:

Emirates opened their new lounge in BKK last week.  Let us know your views if your in there.

A mate of mine headed back last Monday, said it was a CIS lounge never rated it at all ? V the others he is a silver card holder....

12 hours ago, thinkingallowed said:

Just 100 km to go. 

Do you find you arrive more refreshed taking business class flights or about the same as cattle class?

5 hours ago, vpi78 said:

Do you find you arrive more refreshed taking business class flights or about the same as cattle class?

Absolutely mate. Good timings on that flight too as landing at 09:30 means you are straight into Thai time.

6 hours ago, vpi78 said:

Much more.pissed on the free.booze when flying Bizz...

19 hours ago, thinkingallowed said:

Absolutely mate. Good timings on that flight too as landing at 09:30 means you are straight into Thai time.

Stands to reason. Flying from Texas though the delta between business and cattle class is usually above $4,000. I can't bring myself to pay that because i can't get rid of the thoughts of how many boxes of Leo that would be ... about 235 or 2,820 bottles.

I guess this is a short trip for you but if you are back in May come by and see the new kitchen. It's a lot of business class tickets but what the heck.

On 13/04/2017 at 4:30 PM, Parky said:

A mate of mine headed back last Monday, said it was a CIS lounge never rated it at all ? V the others he is a silver card holder....

They used a Miracle Lounge temporarily while they moved stuff from the old to the new.  I expect he was in that, although Emirates Silver only gets lounge access in Dubai.  Was he flying First or Business Class, or did he pay to enter?

3 hours ago, vpi78 said:

Stands to reason. Flying from Texas though the delta between business and cattle class is usually above $4,000. I can't bring myself to pay that because i can't get rid of the thoughts of how many boxes of Leo that would be ... about 235 or 2,820 bottles.

I guess this is a short trip for you but if you are back in May come by and see the new kitchen. It's a lot of business class tickets but what the heck.

Don't do business class all the time, mostly just when I find a bargain like this. A reasonably timed economy flight for the same dates was going to be £700 so not that many cans of Leo different. 

My trip back in May is EVA Air economy for £380, I was never going to find a business class ticket that looked reasonable against that. 

Thanks for the offer to see you guys and your new kitchen but I stupidly allowed a friend to book tickets at the same time as me and now he and his wife are stopping me making definite plans at the moment. 

6 hours ago, kwa said:

They used a Miracle Lounge temporarily while they moved stuff from the old to the new.  I expect he was in that, although Emirates Silver only gets lounge access in Dubai.  Was he flying First or Business Class, or did he pay to enter?

He is a silver holder , stayed 5 days in Dubai on way home...he got in the lounge at BKK 

14 hours ago, Parky said:

He is a silver holder , stayed 5 days in Dubai on way home...he got in the lounge at BKK 

You made me check in case I'd missed a change in policy, but Skywards Silver still only qualifies for lounge entry in Dubai, not outstations, as far as I can see on the website.  There's several other ways to get access, so maybe he used one of them or had struck some other deal.

https://www.emirates.com/UK/english/skywards/about/membership-tiers/membership-benefits.aspx

Edited by kwa

44 minutes ago, kwa said:

You made me check in case I'd missed a change in policy, but Skywards Silver still only qualifies for lounge entry in Dubai, not outstations, as far as I can see on the website.  There's several other ways to get access, so maybe he used one of them or had struck some other deal.

https://www.emirates.com/UK/english/skywards/about/membership-tiers/membership-benefits.aspx

He flies 4 times a year with them, he always gets in the lounge he says..Maybe he has a gold card ? I thought he said a while ago they were giving less points,,

I know the guy well he is honest as the day is long, unlike a few I have met here.

10 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

gulf air business is ok but BA is worth a check, especially if you have flown with them before and collecvted their avios points.  got bus to LHR return 48K plus points  and non stop.   past few years got better than eva

Did BA at Christmas and was suitably unimpressed. Food was meh to terrible and I was served the wrong breakfast which I refused to eat and the FA insisted was the correct one. I couldn't find my menu when they came round for breakfast orders but I'd remembered that the only thing I fancied contained gravlax. I was served a muffin with scrambled egg, hot smoked salmon and hollandaise sauce. Now I knew I'd not chosen that as I've got a hatred of eggs for breakfast on aeroplanes. The FA insisted it was the correct dish after I insisted that I'd never heard of cooked gravlax. I picked up a menu as I left the plane and sure enough what I wanted was the continental breakfast of cold cuts of meat and gravlax and was the only dish that mentioned gravlax. 

I emailed BA to let them know of this and other complaints I had about the food but months later no reply. 

12 hours ago, Parky said:

He flies 4 times a year with them, he always gets in the lounge he says..Maybe he has a gold card ? I thought he said a while ago they were giving less points,,

I know the guy well he is honest as the day is long, unlike a few I have met here.

Not saying he was lying, just trying to understand the mechanics of how he got in.  I might want to use the method if I can't get in using the means I know.

They've devalued the system a couple of times in the last few years - less miles being earned for most tickets, and more miles required for rewards.

Noticed that Gulf air are till doing great deals on Business class trips to LOS. Last one I saw was just under £1100 return from LHR for later this year; much cheaper than the nearest Biz class but the other more expensive airlines do have flat beds in business and I think a few hundred pounds is worth it for the full flat experience if your going to pay that much. I have tried Gulf air for economy before and found them to be OK. 

Edited by cheetzie

6 hours ago, cheetzie said:

Noticed that Gulf air are till doing great deals on Business class trips to LOS. Last one I saw was just under £1100 return from LHR for later this year; much cheaper than the nearest Biz class but the other more expensive airlines do have flat beds in business and I think a few hundred pounds is worth it for the full flat experience if your going to pay that much. I have tried Gulf air for economy before and found them to be OK. 

That's a great price...

I've read that Gulf have ordered quite a few 787s and a couple of the first ones are to be used on the Heathrow Bahrain route, in fact they should have started using them. I'm due a trip in September and there are tickets available for £1071 so I might just give it ago.

One problem with Gulf is not all days give good connections when travelling to and from Bangkok. Luckily for me heading for Bangkok on a Thursday and back on a Sunday give good timings but I am going to do a bit more research. Thursdays also have two flights with connections   to Thailand 10 am and 10 pm ish. The evening flight has a shorter stop in Bahrain but the morning one suits me better.

Flew with them about 3 years ago and found them to be ok, although I would say they were the worst of the Arab airlines.

I knew a girl who got deported about 9 years ago , she was flown on Gulf Air

1 hour ago, thinkingallowed said:

Have booked with Gulf for September for £1071.

Business ?

4 hours ago, thinkingallowed said:

Have booked with Gulf for September for £1071.

Thats a cracking price for business mate.