Latest News
  • *** word of the day LOYALTY *** POODLE . word of the day now expired . *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril *** INTEGRITY was word of the day. even though we spelt it wrong . *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril ***

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
joelonghair

Taking a push bike to Thailand

Hi, looking to see if any of you guys know the best, and most economical airlines with which to fly when taking a push bike to Thailand?

I have bought a proper hard case bike box to transport it, a Trico Iron case, and don't mind if I could check this and just take hand luggage - but it is probably oversize.

I'm looking to fly Manchester to BKK in May.

Cheers!

22 minutes ago, thai spice said:

And where are you going to bike in LOS ?

there are tons of dedicated bike riding trails here in metro bangkok...a 26 mile track surrounds the airport, there is an awesome nature trail right around the port area....a whole bunch, I mean a whole bunch of super hi end bike shops.cafes etc have opened in last 10 years....BIKING IS VERY BIG HERE.....now if you asked the same question about Hong Kong I would agree..not nearly the choices or participation that you will find here.....here is a teaser list,....just BKG dedicated trails alone.

http://www.mapmyride.com/th/bangkok-bangkok/

What's the weight of your bike and box?

Not 100% sure if this still applies but KLM used to accept a bike and it's box/packing as standard luggage if 23kg or under. You have to be careful with your connecting flight to Schiphol though as they won't accept bikes in boxes on Fokker 70 aircraft. 

1 hour ago, thai spice said:

And where are you going to bike in LOS ?

Hey not having a dig at you, but it was ironic this just came across my Facebook feed in last 3 minutes...

You know if you spent a bit of time here without the hassle of a marriage going south or an ex wife harassing you, and really looked around you might go....ya know what...this is the best place in all of Asia to live.....so diverse, so much to do. More than ho's and cheap beer bars or even zillion dollar hi end gentleman clubs,.......there is a ton to do and a great place to raise a child. (assuming you have the wherewithal to keep them out of the public education system)

http://bk.asia-city.com/health/news/ideas-bangkok-bike-ride

• Like 1

Bikes are big all over the world they put a big mountain bike park behind my place its 100s of hectares steep hills that aren't economic to stylise for much else . They are a pain on the road in the truck as the roads are narrow and steep

21 minutes ago, nickrock said:

Bikes are big all over the world they put a big mountain bike park behind my place its 100s of hectares steep hills that aren't economic to stylise for much else . They are a pain on the road in the truck as the roads are narrow and steep

All sorts here mate, but some cant see past Soi Honey :laugh: You can walk everywhere !!!!!!

Must admit I'm kind of regretting giving my bike to one of the kids at Christmas although I'm sure she's getting more use out of it than my occasional trips 20km up the road to the resort. Being a fold up bike it was handy to come back on the bus once I'd had a few. 

Used to surprise a few Thais on old motorbikes loaded up with the whole family by passing them on my highly geared clown bike. 

3 hours ago, Parky said:

There is so much available here, but some are stuck on their wife hunting .... tragic 

Hahaha, way past the wife hunting stuff Mate, but at the same time a bit old old to ride a push bike wearing those fancy flashy fluorescent clothes....

BTW, maybe in the RH on 5th of May late evening ! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thai spice said:

a bit old old to ride a push bike..........

Not even close. If you  were to old to ride a bike you wouldn't be able to handle Sunday in Wanchai. And hey, if you rode a bike, didn't just rely on the genetics of a slim build, Monday mornings after a huge Sunday on Lockhart-do will be much easier to deal with.

Besides, be a gas to see you in spandex!

Edited by STARGAZER
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, STARGAZER said:

Not even close. If you  were to old to ride a bike you wouldn't be able to handle Sunday in Wanchai. And hey, if you rode a bike, didn't just rely on the genetics of a slim build, Monday mornings after a huge Sunday on Lockhart-do will be much easier to deal with.

Besides, be a gas to see you in spandex!

Pink or purple color of course ? ? 

3 hours ago, thai spice said:

not sure....need to color coordinate with the bike I got for you!  

58f150583c623_jdbike.thumb.jpg.b0f7ec62b672b6907f140370c9fec02a.jpg

4 hours ago, thai spice said:

think this top might work for you. Still shopping for the tights.

Cranky-Old-Bastard-Alien-SportsWear-Mens-Cycling-Jersey-Cycling-Clothing-Bike-Shirt-Can-font.thumb.jpg.c7cfa3a9bc92a1ec5295916e8e0a5e89.jpg

Lol at this thread!

Thailand is a beautiful country, and cycling is big! I couldn't think of much better place to cycle for a few weeks!

Back to the ailine question, if anyone has some leads please let me know. Box will be approx 30kg and 120 x 85 x 30 cm

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, joelonghair said:

Lol at this thread!

Thailand is a beautiful country, and cycling is big! I couldn't think of much better place to cycle for a few weeks!

Back to the ailine question, if anyone has some leads please let me know. Box will be approx 30kg and 120 x 85 x 30 cm

You always get the bitter losers pipe up with negative views, then they wonder why their lives are how they are.. they think negative, say negative , do negative so get negative :laugh:

Is it worth contacting the airlines, I would think they see this type of thing most weeks ?

Happy cycling enjoy,,,:)

The dimensions you give are well within those mentioned here:

https://www.emirates.com/english/help/faq/214958/baggage-allowances-for-sports-equipment

They also give 30kg allowance for all but the cheapest economy tickets, and fly 3 times a day from Manchester.  If you're near the airport, nip in and talk to them.

1 hour ago, kwa said:

The dimensions you give are well within those mentioned here:

https://www.emirates.com/english/help/faq/214958/baggage-allowances-for-sports-equipment

They also give 30kg allowance for all but the cheapest economy tickets, and fly 3 times a day from Manchester.  If you're near the airport, nip in and talk to them.

Yes, with the bike and box weighing 30kg I'd be looking at the ME airlines that generally allow that weight. 

Just looked at Norwegian as I've transported bikes with them before and they have a 25kg max limit so no good. 

Qatar accepts bikes as part of your normal luggage allowance but found this on their site so not sure if it means they don't accept hard boxes... 

Bicycles may be carried as checked baggage or cargo. They must be properly packed in a strong purpose-made cardboard box. Tyres should be deflated, pedals removed, and handlebars turned and fixed lengthways.

Emirates, Etihad, Qatar and Turkish all allow 30 KGs checked baggage in economy I believe.  

I booked with Turkish this year as they came up very cheap compared to the others (600 Euro return p.p.). 

8 minutes ago, Esco said:

Emirates, Etihad, Qatar and Turkish all allow 30 KGs checked baggage in economy I believe. 

Etihad cut the limit on Economy Deals and Economy Saver tickets to 23kg recently.

Emirates also cut the limit on their Economy Special tickets to 20kg (although I don't see these offered much).  Economy Saver and above are still 30kg.