Latest News
  • *** Don't forget about this months friday 28th, drinks with vpi78 @ The Rock House on friday... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months friday 28th, drinks with vpi78 @ The Rock House on friday... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months friday 28th, drinks with vpi78 @ The Rock House on friday... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months friday 28th, drinks with vpi78 @ The Rock House on friday... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months friday 28th, drinks with vpi78 @ The Rock House on friday... it would be great to see you if your in town...! *** Don't forget about this months friday 28th, drinks with vpi78 @ The Rock House on friday... it would be great to see you if your in town...!

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
lanzalad

U-Tapao to get a second runway

U-Tapao to have second runway by 2021

Thailand has earmarked U-Tapao airport as a 'gem' that will drive other industries in its new economic zone in the Eastern province of Rayong.

Deputy director of U-Tapao Airport Authority Sommuk Keawmaruang says that U-Tapao airport will become an aeropolis as it undergoes an expansion phase with new infrastructure and establishes new aviation-related businesses in the Eastern Economic Corridor.

Keawmaruang shares that a second runway, 3.5km long, will be built by 2021. This is to enable the joint civil-military U-Tapao airport to reach its goal of handling 250,000 yearly flights by the next decade.

He says the current runway handles between 80,000 to 100,000 flights per year which includes both civil and military operations.

In addition, Bangkok is also considering constructing a third terminal at the airport and is looking to the private sector to manage and operate it. U-Tapao's existing two terminals are managed and operated by the Royal Thai Navy.

When combined, all three terminals will be able to up to 60 million passengers per annum, says Keawmaruang.

"U-Tapao airport is a gem, well-placed to take part of Thailand's new economic zone. The expansion of U-Tapao airport can also help with the crowding of Bangkok's other major airports. We are located near Pattaya, which is a popular tourism area which is also going to grow in the years ahead."

this can only be good.ive flown from samui once.

Edited by matthewh

They really need to improve the facilities and departure area.  When I traveled from there in late December they wouldn't let you through to departures until 1 hour before flight take off, reason being the small waiting area wouldn't accommodate more than 1 flight at a time. 

2 minutes ago, The Tongue said:

They really need to improve the facilities and departure area.  When I traveled from there in late December they wouldn't let you through to departures until 1 hour before flight take off, reason being the small waiting area wouldn't accommodate more than 1 flight at a time. 

They have built a new, larger terminal but only using it for arrivals at the moment, still use the old terminal for departures. Apparently the new terminal will be in full operation by the end of 2018.

My next work rotation flights I’m using Qatar air from Utapao, it’s only 10 minutes from my (her) house to Utapao so gotta be better than a 2 hour drive to Swampy. 

A lot of development going on around Sattahip and Ban Chang at the moment. 

The beaches down near the Naval dockyard are absolutely rammed every weekend. 

• Thumbs up 2

Guest painter
1 hour ago, The Tongue said:

I flew from utapo one morning during early january...6.30 flight. Couldn't even buy a coffee at the place! Did notice the building work for the new terminal and hope that will be better.

Guest painter
43 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

i always fly to UK direct but am tempted by quatar.  they posted that they had mega deals from utopao.  I wnet and looked and they were dearer than BA.  the mrs flies to hat yai to see parents, easy as and return for about 35 quid

Also tempted by Qatar. Their upper deck services are, imo, far better than the others, if not for the eat on demand,  rather than when we  tell you. 

However, they do not offer the limo service in the UK, which saves me £150 in taxi costs.

If their price is comparable to the others I'd take it any day.

30 minutes ago, painter said:

Also tempted by Qatar. Their upper deck services are, imo, far better than the others, if not for the eat on demand,  rather than when we  tell you. 

However, they do not offer the limo service in the UK, which saves me £150 in taxi costs.

If their price is comparable to the others I'd take it any day.

Doha airport is also very easy to get through. I normally only have 1.5 hour stopover but still plenty time for a drink and a smoke in the lounge. 

1 hour ago, scotty said:

Doha airport is also very easy to get through. I normally only have 1.5 hour stopover but still plenty time for a drink and a smoke in the lounge. 

Noticed British Airways have stopped flying into Doha for 2 months from this week:

BA123 is cancelled from London Heathrow to Doha from Sunday 25 March 2018 to Saturday 30 June 2018.

BA122 is also cancelled from Doha to London Heathrow from Monday 26 March 2018 to Sunday 1 July 2018.

No specific reason has been given for the cancellations other than “operational reasons”. It is understood that the likely reason is that the Boeing 777 which operates this route is being released to cover other routes which use the Boeing 787 fleet which is currently undergoing maintenance to their engines.

Flew to Samui a couple of years ago , parking I rated very close to terminal, very small terminal..

8000 a ticket 🤣 ouch 

7 hours ago, The Tongue said:

Noticed British Airways have stopped flying into Doha for 2 months from this week:

BA123 is cancelled from London Heathrow to Doha from Sunday 25 March 2018 to Saturday 30 June 2018.

BA122 is also cancelled from Doha to London Heathrow from Monday 26 March 2018 to Sunday 1 July 2018.

No specific reason has been given for the cancellations other than “operational reasons”. It is understood that the likely reason is that the Boeing 777 which operates this route is being released to cover other routes which use the Boeing 787 fleet which is currently undergoing maintenance to their engines.

Is that a code share flight ...!  

Been on many of Qatar flights and seen the flight codes at the same gate with BA jumping on Qatar airways flight.

I remember when the airport had problems in Bangkok.EVA landed a 777 at utapoa .I would say a lot of investment is needed though.

15 minutes ago, lanzalad said:

Is that a code share flight ...!  

Been on many of Qatar flights and seen the flight codes at the same gate with BA jumping on Qatar airways flight.

No it is actually a British Airways 777 equipment.  The official line is that they are short on 777s on other routes but as much as that may be true I think it also has to do with the diplomatic problems within the UAE and low loads.

• Thumbs up 1

Guest painter
2 hours ago, matthewh said:

I remember when the airport had problems in Bangkok.EVA landed a 777 at utapoa .I would say a lot of investment is needed though.

I believe it was originally built by the Americans for some war effort in asia. As such the runway and taxi ways can take 747s and anything else thrown at it. From memory dirung the shutdown at swampy many airlines landed there, but passengers had to be bussed to bkk somewhere to go through immigration as the terminal couldn't cope.  Vice versa leaving the country

9 minutes ago, painter said:

I believe it was originally built by the Americans for some war effort in asia. As such the runway and taxi ways can take 747s and anything else thrown at it. From memory dirung the shutdown at swampy many airlines landed there, but passengers had to be bussed to bkk somewhere to go through immigration as the terminal couldn't cope.  Vice versa leaving the country

ok until eva landed a 777 there in the time of the Bangkok crisis,i thought it could only take smaller aircraft,as I flew from samui with Bangkok airways.good to have a 2nd runway but facilities are needed.hopefully this can be achieved.

we flew to phuket there what a shit terminal. and arrived there in 1990 on a package deal 

9 hours ago, painter said:

Noticed it has a load of Thai Airways planes parked so either used for maintenance or more likely a dumping ground of old or not needed aircraft.