Latest News
  • *** POODLE . word of the day . *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril *** INTEGRITY was word of the day . *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril ***

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
rising phoenix

Emirates considers hand baggage only fares

Emirates considers hand baggage only fares

13.3-inch-Economy-Class-screens-on-newly

Dubai-based Emirates is seriously considering offering passengers cheaper hand baggage only (HBO) fares.

The latter have proved popular with younger passengers and especially the millennials who tend to travel light.

In a recent airlineratings.com interview Emirates’ president Sir Tim Clark revealed that his airline will be reviewing its economy class with reference to product and pricing.

Part of the review concerns HBO tariffs. These originally appeared in Europe and were offered on short-haul routes. But the past few months have seen their introduction on long distance routes.

Airlines like to offer HBO fares because, costing less than regular fares, these tariffs gain the carrier a more competitive display in booking systems.

In the case of Emirates we see it already facing price competition from conventional airlines. Now it’s being challenged by low-cost long-haul air services.

Norwegian is flying into Dubai and Bangkok (from Scandinavia). Last year Norwegian launched non-stop service between London and Singapore (which competes with Emirates’ indirect offerings via Dubai).

One of Emirates’ largest passenger flows is on the multiple routings between North America and India.

From later this year it will be facing competition from Icelandic low-cost carrier Wow Air (operating via Reykjavik) between North America and Delhi.

Wow Air is truly a no-frills carrier. It prices cheaply because its base fare comes without the sort of extras travellers used to take for granted even with a LCC.  For example, Wow Air charges extra for hand luggage. Only one small item (like a briefcase) is free of charge.

Quoted by airlineratings Sir Tim Clark said, “We have many, many passengers who travel great distances with just a backpack.”

A good example is “with the software engineering living in Seattle, working for Amazon, who just wants to fly home to Hyderabad to visit his family for three days.”

“He just comes on board with a small backpack – no more.”

Says India’s aviation author Vinamra Longani,  “The European carriers switched to [long-haul] HBO fares because of competition from long-haul low-cost carriers [LCCs].”

“The Gulf carriers are essentially ‘long-haul LCCs’ and they [as they mature] need to bring in extra revenue in order to survive.”

Besides their introduction on long-haul routes, Longani also sees them “proving popular on shorter hops such as within the Gulf/MidEast region and between the Gulf and India.”

If Emirates were to go down the HBO route (and it will surely happen should it decide to introduce a ‘light’ tariff) we can expect its local rivals Etihad and Qatar Airways to follow suit (despite what they might say publicly).

emirates.com

Guest Madusa

will they police the actual size and weight of the carry on ?

1 minute ago, Madusa said:

The low cost carriers typically do, but allowances differ. 

Some allow 10KG, others 12 while I could take as much as 20KG with BA last time. 

Would have suited me when I did my monthly HKG-BKK hops before....

Guest Madusa
25 minutes ago, Esco said:

The low cost carriers typically do, but allowances differ. 

Some allow 10KG, others 12 while I could take as much as 20KG with BA last time. 

20kg for carry-on is extremely generous typically ive only ever seen allowances of 7 to 10kg.

Emirates is 7kg.

https://www.skyscanner.net/news/cabin-luggage-guide-hand-baggage-sizes-and-weight-restrictions

49 minutes ago, Madusa said:

There is a template cradle type frame the bag has to fit into for it to be classed as hand luggage. 

All they have done is started charging for luggage.. but sold it a different way...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Parky said:

All they have done is started charging for luggage.. but sold it a different way...

Yep. Nothing is free....

ooops apart from Facebook lol

Edited by Rob Jones

2 minutes ago, Rob Jones said:

Yep. Nothing is free....

ooops apart from Facebook lol

555 And Twitter ...

8 minutes ago, Rob Jones said:

KLM charges now for suitcases

Only on short haul flights in Europe though.

2 minutes ago, firth1974 said:

I don’t know, probably. I know I had to pay extra.

Guest Madusa
11 minutes ago, Rob Jones said:

There is a template cradle type frame the bag has to fit into for it to be classed as hand luggage. 

Yeah many airlines have those and ive never seen them used, lots of people take the piss (size, weight and items) with carry on which sjits me no end when I cannot fit my stuff in the locker above my seat.

1 minute ago, Madusa said:

Yeah many airlines have those and ive never seen them used, lots of people take the piss (size, weight and items) with carry on which sjits me no end when I cannot fit my stuff in the locker above my seat.

I know what you mean

1 minute ago, Rob Jones said:

I don’t know, probably. I know I had to pay extra.

Flew to Amsterdam and to Rome last year, and had to pay for a case. Also flew to Osaka last year, but luggage was included in the price.

Good idea but it will get abused by people stuffing 20kg into hand luggage.

39 minutes ago, Madusa said:

20kg for carry-on is extremely generous typically ive only ever seen allowances of 7 to 10kg.

Emirates is 7kg.

https://www.skyscanner.net/news/cabin-luggage-guide-hand-baggage-sizes-and-weight-restrictions

23 KGs even... 

https://www.britishairways.com/en-nl/information/baggage-essentials/hand-baggage-allowances

Wow.

23kgs is an excellent allowance.

1 minute ago, dcfc2007 said:

Wow.

23kgs is an excellent allowance.

Definitely. 

I booked with KLM to go to Thailand in December and they allow 12 KGs which is already more than most.  

16 minutes ago, firth1974 said:

Yep, one has to check the "luggage allowance" on the cheapest tickets. 

13 minutes ago, Madusa said:

Never seen them used neither and indeed some people bring some stuff on board....

Once tried to help an lady put her carry on in the locker, FFS I could barely lift it !

3 minutes ago, Esco said:

Definitely. 

I booked with KLM to go to Thailand in December and they allow 12 KGs which is already more than most.  

Aye I thought 10kg was about the industry standard. I know Ryanair had to scrap allowing two pieces of hand luggage because people were ripping the arse out of it.

Just now, dcfc2007 said:

Aye I thought 10kg was about the industry standard. I know Ryanair had to scrap allowing two pieces of hand luggage because people were ripping the arse out of it.

7 in Australia

Just now, cbk said:

7 in Australia

I'm sure most hand luggage cases alone probably weigh a couple of kg.