Latest News
  • *** word of the day LOYALTY *** POODLE . word of the day now expired . *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril *** INTEGRITY was word of the day. even though we spelt it wrong . *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril ***

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
Murchie

Looking For A Roofer

Wondering if anyone knows a roofer in Pattya. Looking at the possibility of buying the place i rent but one big concern I have is the roof. As can be seen from the photos it's in a bad way.

Numerous attempts by the owner have so far failed at stopping a leak in the front of the house.

For now i'm just looking for someone to come and have a look to determine if it's repairable or if the whole lot needs replaced.

20180626_114727.jpg

20180626_114742.jpg

20180626_114745.jpg

20180628_131027.jpg

20180628_131030.jpg

If it's not leaking Derek get them to paint it. Power wash then paint.

Roofers are everywhere. All the motorcy taxis are plumbers, bakers and candlestick makers.

I'll pm you the number of the builder guy we know. Always a quality job. If She still has it.

• Haha 1

that is a bodge job isnt it.  thing is new tiles are not dear and labour is cheap.. might as well redo it properly with flashing not concrete and new tiles that wont be porous.  if its dark side PM me

11 minutes ago, pattayaman2001 said:

If it's not leaking Derek get them to paint it. Power wash then paint.

Roofers are everywhere. All the motorcy taxis are plumbers, bakers and candlestick makers.

I'll pm you the number of the builder guy we know. Always a quality job. If She still has it.

It does leak, thankfully not inside the house though. It may be possible to power wash and paint but some of the tiles look totally shot.

18 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

that is a bodge job isnt it.  thing is new tiles are not dear and labour is cheap.. might as well redo it properly with flashing not concrete and new tiles that wont be porous.  if its dark side PM me

PM sent.

1 hour ago, Murchie said:

Wondering if anyone knows a roofer in Pattya. Looking at the possibility of buying the place i rent but one big concern I have is the roof. As can be seen from the photos it's in a bad way.

Numerous attempts by the owner have so far failed at stopping a leak in the front of the house.

For now i'm just looking for someone to come and have a look to determine if it's repairable or if the whole lot needs replaced.

20180626_114727.jpg

20180626_114742.jpg

20180626_114745.jpg

20180628_131027.jpg

20180628_131030.jpg

That’s aright mess..

the only good thing to do there is to re use the old good tiles and buy more to complete a proper job the extended roof should not continue from the main food for a start.

your run offs should be much wider due to the short pitch of the roof. At least a few foot on both sides

15 minutes ago, lanzalad said:

That’s aright mess..

the only good thing to do there is to re use the old good tiles and buy more to complete a proper job the extended roof should not continue from the main food for a start.

your run offs should be much wider due to the short pitch of the roof. At least a few foot on both sides

Yes to all the above.

The different angle junction between 2 roof sections will not help.

Clean them would already help.to improve the water flow, and allow to inspect which ones are broken.

Did you had a look under the tiles at the wood structure ? I had a major issue with this at the jungle house.

6 minutes ago, thai spice said:

Did you had a look under the tiles at the wood structure ? I had a major issue with this at the jungle house.

That's my other concern, the unseen damage. 

13 minutes ago, Murchie said:

That's my other concern, the unseen damage. 

Yep mate. This was what we found  after "in depth" inspection. Look at the right of the parabola antenna.

Only one solution, redo the whole thing.

IMG-20170812-WA0005.thumb.jpg.766ab0d6ea8e52eb567f252dcd1b10d8.jpg

Yes but I’m Thailand they tend to use steel and aluminium tile supports which means only the bad needs to be replaced.

as your pic shows you have a over hang and a gap from the main roof to the lower section which should always be two separate area’s 

Could be used as a bargaining chip if you are trying to buy the place. Question is does your landlord want to sell??

2 minutes ago, lanzalad said:

Yes but I’m Thailand they tend to use steel and aluminium tile supports which means only the bad needs to be replaced.

as your pic shows you have a over hang and a gap from the main roof to the lower section which should always be two separate area’s 

I noticed that here in Indo they are also switching to the metallic structure.  Call me old dynosaure, but I like it the traditionnal wood way.

I dont really agree with the 2 sections needing to be separate. IMO (but I am not a pro) the important is the slope. If the angle of the upper roof is higher than the one of the lower roof (usually an extension or covered terasse) the water from the upper part arrive at a higher velocity then what it can achieve on the lower (less angled) roof. So it creats a slown down of the flow, and likely an overflow on the junction of the tiles.

Roof inclinations in France are reglementated according to the region and its climat. Hence very steep angles in the mountain (to avoid snow accumulation) and steeper angles in the regions with important rains than in"dry" regions.

And of cause the gutters and drains need to be calculated to be able to absorb the max rainfall (mm/h per sq m translated in l/min) of the region. Hence it always surprises me they make flat roofs in places with a high rain monsoon season .

1 hour ago, thai spice said:

Yep mate. This was what we found  after "in depth" inspection. Look at the right of the parabola antenna.

If you don't mind me asking what was the cost to redo.

30 minutes ago, Smiler said:

Could be used as a bargaining chip if you are trying to buy the place. Question is does your landlord want to sell??

Agent we rent from has sent him an email to find out.

Owner is well aware there is a problem with the roof, he just doesn't want to spend the money fixing it. The guy he has used to try and repair it refuses to come any more, says it's a waste of time and effort and needs to be fixed properly, patch up jobs just ain't working.

Telling you what you already know, a roofing problem is one of those fail safe housing issues, I.e., absolute in respect of either your roof leaks or it does not. Patch jobs are like fool's gold relative to long term solutions.

I see many roofs in the NBZ where locals assume those heavy clay tiles are forever. Reality is clay is a very sun-sensitive material. Just as it does in the ground it cracks and allows penetration, water, dirt, it does not discriminate. Glazing can delay inevitable cracks like polyethylene coating does to wood exposed to the sun but eventually the sun wins. Most roofs older than 30 years should be replaced.

The move to metal framing in Thailand is more related to lack of wood availability than it is anything else. But what it does introduce is a greater reliance on builder skills. So whereas most rice farmers can cut grass and hammer nails, working with metal ... not so much yet.

My view ... that house you have shown pictures of needs not only new tiles but also a lighter weight tile consideration such as the flatter profile solutions SCG now offers.

Burn suerte but if the Owner does not replace that roof, regardless of the tile chose,n, stay away from a long term lease if you decide to rent it at all.

• Thumbs up 1

11 minutes ago, vpi78 said:

Telling you what you already know, a roofing problem is one of those fail safe housing issues, I.e., absolute in respect of either your roof leaks or it does not. Patch jobs are like fool's gold relative to long term solutions.

I see many roofs in the NBZ where locals assume those heavy clay tiles are forever. Reality is clay is a very sun-sensitive material. Just as it does in the ground it cracks and allows penetration, water, dirt, it does not discriminate. Glazing can delay inevitable cracks like polyethylene coating does to wood exposed to the sun but eventually the sun wins. Most roofs older than 30 years should be replaced.

The move to metal framing in Thailand is more related to lack of wood availability than it is anything else. But what it does introduce is a greater reliance on builder skills. So whereas most rice farmers can cut grass and hammer nails, working with metal ... not so much yet.

My view ... that house you have shown pictures of needs not only new tiles but also a lighter weight tile consideration such as the flatter profile solutions SCG now offers.

Burn suerte but if the Owner does not replace that roof, regardless of the tile chose,n, stay away from a long term lease if you decide to rent it at all.

One year left on the lease but interested in buying the place as we like it here and it suits our set up.

If the owner isn't interested in selling them no worries we look at buying somewhere else.

Some good information from yourself and others though and well noted.

SCG???

11 minutes ago, Murchie said:

One year left on the lease but interested in buying the place as we like it here and it suits our set up.

If the owner isn't interested in selling them no worries we look at buying somewhere else.

SCG???

Siam Concrete Group ... those cement-fiber and similar roof materials you see in places like Thai Watsadu, Megahome, Homepro, etc., come from them. They have their own retail outlets often with CAD terminals where you can select the right roof for your application by any variable important to you ... me ... I distrust Thailand metal workers and tend to go for lighter weight tiles.

15 minutes ago, Murchie said:

SCG???

SCG is one of the largest companies in Thailand. Siam Cement Group.

If you dont know that you are better off renting 

Edited by Buckfast

18 minutes ago, vpi78 said:

Siam Concrete Group ... those cement-fiber and similar roof materials you see in places like Thai Watsadu, Megahome, Homepro, etc., come from them. They have their own retail outlets often with CAD terminals where you can select the right roof for your application by any variable important to you ... me ... I distrust Thailand metal workers and tend to go for lighter weight tiles.

Thanks.

Thankfully I know what CAD is or I'd have Buckfast telling me to stop using a computer.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, thai spice said:

Yes to all the above.

The different angle junction between 2 roof sections will not help.

Clean them would already help.to improve the water flow, and allow to inspect which ones are broken.

Yes that angle is crazy ,  a roof is not meant to turn like that ...

2 hours ago, thai spice said:

Your second  roof at the front is what Murchies should  be like... 

47 minutes ago, Parky said:

Your second  roof at the front is what Murchies should  be like... 

Fcuked if I'm having a roof like that, hasn't even got any tiles.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Buckfast said:

SCG is one of the largest companies in Thailand. Siam Cement Group.

If you dont know that you are better off renting 

Owned by Crown properties (his nibs)

Just now, Rob Jones said:

Owned by Crown properties (his nibs)

Owned directly by the lunatic now.

Just now, dcfc2007 said:

Owned directly by the lunatic now.

I was asked would i go and work for them when I resigned from my last position. Nice job offer, but my plans were already made.

• Thumbs up 1