Latest News
  • *** word of the day LOYALTY *** POODLE . word of the day now expired . *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril *** INTEGRITY was word of the day. even though we spelt it wrong . *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril ***

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
lanzalad

Abandoned Cruise Ship Hotel in Koh Chang

Shortly after arriving in Koh Chang, an island in Thailand, we dug deep online to find some unique locations. We heard about an abandoned cruise ship, turned into a hotel and then abandoned again. We thought it would be a perfect place to take some photos and explore. Information on it was vague and old, we still weren't sure if it still existed. None of the locals seemed to know it. Slightly off the beaten path, but nothing is too far on an island that takes an hour to cross, so we headed towards it's direction.

?format=750w
?format=300w
?format=300w
?format=300w
 Gasoline 40 Baht

Gasoline 40 Baht

What to bring: 

- Mosquito spray (apply generously, mosquitoes are my nemesis)

- Bring water. Its warm in Koh Chang. 28°C (82°Fis the average temperature during the hot months.

- A flashlight (many creepy rooms inside)

- Cat food and dog treats for stray animals

?format=750w

We rented a motor scooter from our Airbnb and it felt like we could go anywhere.  After a few wrong turns we found the spot. A big piece of land with a single road leading up to a hut where a lonely guard charges you a fee to enter. For a little extra we could've rented bicycle's, too.

Once inside its impossible to miss "The Galaxy" a giant abandoned cruise ship. I believe there are still hotels and other areas (ships converted into hotels) functioning so we avoided the front desk area. We found and entrance in the back of the ship even with the front of the ship closed off and there are plenty of open windows to climb through. 

?format=500w
?format=500w

Happy to find it still exists it was such an interesting site to see. A cruise ship cemented to the land and slowly decaying away by a beautiful beach. Nobody seemed to care and we shamelessly took our time to explore.

?format=500w
?format=500w
 Our cat friend was taking a nap and then followed us around. 

Our cat friend was taking a nap and then followed us around. 

?format=500w
?format=500w

A friendly cat was the only living contact we came to encounter. It was eerie and would not not like to be alone exploring through there. 

Empty hallways

Empty hallways

An office like someone left in a hurry, but may come back. 

An office like someone left in a hurry, but may come back. 

?format=750w
?format=500w
?format=500w
?format=300w
?format=300w
?format=300w
?format=300w
?format=300w
?format=500w
?format=500w

I wouldn't have wanted to be there at night, it was quite spooky inside even during the day.  It confuses your brain in a way, when a place so large that would usually be filled with people is empty. Especially decorations and daily items still about. It feels like someone could walk into you at any second. Exciting to go and explore for some of the same reasons. 

?format=750w
?format=500w
?format=500w
?format=750w
 Jason forgot his GoPro and had to go back inside to get it. 

Jason forgot his GoPro and had to go back inside to get it. 

?format=500w
?format=500w

We were surprised to find a gorgeous beach right next to the ship. Sun was already set and we played on the swings. Nobody else around we felt like it be worth to visit just for that.  

?format=750w

pattaya has a deserted disco,to be fair its not known about.chaiyapoon and swing a left.i could be wrong as I haven't been to town for a bit.ive heard in Bangkok that there is an old buiding with pla.

6 minutes ago, matthewh said:

pattaya has a deserted disco,to be fair its not known about.chaiyapoon and swing a left.i could be wrong as I haven't been to town for a bit.

Xcyte Disco?  That's long gone.  The Batman one is still standing but not around there.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kwa said:

Xcyte Disco?  That's long gone.  The Batman one is still standing but not around there.

thankyou for clarifying that.matt

there is a plane in Bangkok that some people call home.i will try to find some pics.

Guest Madusa
14 minutes ago, matthewh said:

there is a plane in Bangkok that some people call home.i will try to find some pics.

The airplane graveyard in Ramkhamhaeng ?

1 minute ago, Madusa said:

The airplane graveyard in Ramkhamhaeng ?

thankyou.

48 minutes ago, kwa said:

No its in soi batman... 🙃

• Like 1

Good site.. thanks

An airplane graveyard in Bangkok

Between car repair shops and apartment buildings, a small airplane graveyard has appeared in Bangkok, Thailand. The first fuselage parts, the nose sections of two Boeing 747s appeared sometime around January 2010. By 2014, two MD-82 jetliners formerly operated by Orient Thai Airlines were added. One of them had been involved in a fatal 89 person crash at Phuket International Airport in 2007.

The planes have been slowly stripped of some parts like seats, interior paneling, TV sets, and overhead compartments and it is said that the yard's owner is selling different parts for scrap. It has also been reported that a businessman wanted to convert the interior of a plane into a bar but these plans failed. 

From time to time homeless families have used the abandoned planes as shelter. Today, the yard's owner allows those curious to look around the planes for a small fee.

Bangkok%2Bplane%2Bgraveyard%2B10.jpg

Bangkok%2Bplane%2Bgraveyard%2B11.jpg

Bangkok%2Bplane%2Bgraveyard%2B12.jpg

Bangkok%2Bplane%2Bgraveyard%2B13.jpg

Bangkok%2Bplane%2Bgraveyard%2B14.jpg

Bangkok%2Bplane%2Bgraveyard%2B15.jpg

Bangkok%2Bplane%2Bgraveyard%2B16.jpg

Bangkok%2Bplane%2Bgraveyard%2B17.jpg

Bangkok%2Bplane%2Bgraveyard%2B18.jpg

Bangkok%2Bplane%2Bgraveyard%2B19.jpg

Bangkok%2Bplane%2Bgraveyard%2B20.jpg

Bangkok%2Bplane%2Bgraveyard%2B21.jpg

Bangkok%2Bplane%2Bgraveyard%2B22.jpg

Bangkok%2Bplane%2Bgraveyard%2B23.jpg

Bangkok%2Bplane%2Bgraveyard%2B24.jpg

Bangkok%2Bplane%2Bgraveyard%2B25.jpg

Bangkok%2Bplane%2Bgraveyard%2B26.jpg

Bangkok%2Bplane%2Bgraveyard%2B27.jpg

Bangkok%2Bplane%2Bgraveyard%2B28.jpg

Bangkok%2Bplane%2Bgraveyard%2B29.jpg

Bangkok%2Bplane%2Bgraveyard%2B30.jpg

Bangkok%2Bplane%2Bgraveyard%2B31.jpg

Bangkok%2Bplane%2Bgraveyard%2B32.jpg

Bangkok%2Bplane%2Bgraveyard%2B33.jpg

Bangkok%2Bplane%2Bgraveyard%2B34.jpg

Bangkok%2Bplane%2Bgraveyard%2B35.jpg

Bangkok%2Bplane%2Bgraveyard%2B36.jpg

Bangkok%2Bplane%2Bgraveyard%2B37.jpg

• Like 1

Great photos.

The hotel looks really cool.

Was it built on site, sort of looks like the hull is concrete?

10 minutes ago, lantern said:

Was it built on site, sort of looks like the hull is concrete?

No it was a river boat hotel.. 

Same as the Nile floating hotels. 

They created a dock then filled it in which i think was a big mistake.

More about it here.

Onboard the Galaxy. Koh Chang’s Ghost Ship

koh chang cruise ship

Note:

I wrote this back in 2012, since then numerous travel bloggers have made the pilgrimage to this  decrepit, land-locked, cruise liner in order to explore the decks and experience the wonder of Koh Chang’s most bizarre accommodation.  It even made an appearance in the Huffington Post.  However, since mid-2016 it’s doors have been padlocked shut and a large ‘No Entry’ sign placed outside.  So, it appears no longer in use even for resort guests. 

+++

One of the dilemmas facing guests staying on the floating ‘ship-otel’ is “Do I run towards the light or away from it?”

I often get asked what I consider to be the most ‘interesting’ of Koh Chang’s resorts and one place always comes to mind.   Aunchaleena Beachfront Resort, formerly, Koh Chang Grand Lagoona, near Bangbao, is a Thai billionaire’s vision of what a   luxury island resort should look like, so maybe his ideas are ‘different’ to yours.   The resort is so ‘special’ that non-guests have to pay to get in, currently this is 50 Baht per person and includes use of a bicycle, if you want it, in order to tour the grounds.   There’s also   a nice little waterfall in the jungle nearby. So far, so good.

The centrepiece of the resort is the floating hotel, the Galaxy, which is described as either:

‘A Seven deck floating boat, nicely equipped with full facilities and five star hotel is drifting gracefully on the crystal lagoon next to the sea, giving you the mood of grand cruise with unforgettable impression.  The well-decorated and modern building consists of 70 modern rooms of superior design.’

‘The Galaxy, well recognized as the most modern floating hotel in Thailand . . ‘ ( Hotel booking sites )

‘The Galaxy is the centre piece – a 7 deck boat housing 70 rooms. In the pictures it looks gleaming and white and the description talks of five star luxury. In reality, from the outside it looks like the Titanic – after being raised from the depths.’

‘The “ship” our room was in was totally disgusting, neglected and straight out of a horror film.’

‘Too scared to look inside the big ship they have as cabins.’ ( Tripadvisor reviews )

As someone who has a resort,well a guesthouse, listed on Tripadvisor, I know how picky reviewers can be and that criticism can sometimes be harsh and unwarranted, but at least in this case all parties agree the Galaxy experience is ‘memorable’, just for differing reasons.

Rather than take sides, here are some photos of the the only ship-o-tel on the island and you can judge for yourself.   But I have to say, when I walked down the dark, dank, unlit corridors I half expected Jack Nicholson to come through one of the doors with a chainsaw.   On the plus side, great views from the roof.

galaxy12.jpg

galaxy16.jpg

galaxy15.jpg

galaxy1.jpg

the hotel in pattaya,the a one.near somewhere we mostly know looks like a nice place ,I have never been in.as a prime spot it could be the next mall