Latest News
  • *** *** FIRTH is a word we must not forget , KEEP THE KIDS SAFE *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril *** can you remember when TRUST was something and HONOUR was something *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril *** KARMA IS A FUCKING BITCH ***

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
matthewh

broke at 50.what would you do,?

im 51,some I know have nothing.no time to build a pension pot etc.what would you do if you was 50 and skint.lets have a nice thread please.

i think broke at 50 is pretty common .

if you havent invested in property or invested in a big pension , you will be in troube .

i think it a lot more common than people think .

i am not the best protected myself but only because ive spent too much in the last 14 years or so .

• Like 1

Yes I know loads in the same situation. They will retire with nothing but a state pension.

Some folk just can't save.

• Thumbs up 1

22 minutes ago, lantern said:

Yes I know loads in the same situation. They will retire with nothing but a state pension.

Some folk just can't save.

which kicks in much later,probably when some have sadly fallen asleep.

Not gonna lie but I'm very lucky that my parents left me some property, fook knows what the wife and I would be doing back here if they hadn't. It would be a very small flat.

Pension wise theres not a lot, whether I'll make the state pension who knows. 😀

• Like 3
  • Thumbs up 1

1 hour ago, mulphy said:

if you havent invested in property or invested in a big pension , you will be in troube .

i am not the best protected myself but only because ive spent too much in the last 14 years or so .

True and always sharks around trying to relieve you of both via equity release, dodgy investments..etc.

Those living full time in Thailand without investments in the UK, will find it hard going if they return. Unfortunately, health/visa issues force many to go back.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, john42 said:

True and always sharks around trying to relieve you of both via equity release, dodgy investments..etc.

Those living full time in Thailand without investments in the UK, will find it hard going if they return. Unfortunately, health/visa issues force many to go back.

spot on sir,im comfortable and 4 years left to pay on the house.no way would I risk what ive grafted for since I left school.

5 hours ago, john42 said:

Lol you were considering  equity release ... I told you what a joke it was ... You argued against it you were keen on it lol 

Those living in UK with no investments in UK will find it hard going , stuck in a poxy house no heating .... 

What are the visa issues you refer to ? Getting a visa is simple ... 

It’s not easy for anyone in the world with no money ... nothing to do with countries ..

The ones who get hammered are guys who get divorced a few times , later in life at 55 can’t get work and struggle on , they live a really frugal life and when they get their pension they are ‘Terminal tight ‘ won’t spend any money ... 

They die with the most many they had in 20 years ... seen that many times ..

‘As you breathe now some people are taking their last breath , live your life now ‘  that’s the situation for all of us ... All this fear of doing what you want is madness ..

4 hours ago, matthewh said:

spot on sir,im comfortable and 4 years left to pay on the house.no way would I risk what ive grafted for since I left school.

Remember the line Andy Frain says to the warder on the roof  in Shawshank Redemption... 

In the UK 🇬🇧 if your wife divorces you then your financial situation will change ... 

Maybe your wife will bin 🗑 you , 

Hopefully for  you  both will  grow old together .... but no one knows the future ... Divorcing is a young mans game 😉

7 hours ago, mulphy said:

Yes older lads who get binned , ones I know lose house and keep pension is a usual scenario ...You live your life unlike some , who will do this will do that .. end up doing and spending nothing ...it’s an illness I am convinced ... 

Many people can’t accept they will pass , so won’t live a life they would like for fear of ‘losing ‘ money 💰 

Very odd ..

8 hours ago, davethailand said:

Not gonna lie but I'm very lucky that my parents left me some property, fook knows what the wife and I would be doing back here if they hadn't. It would be a very small flat.

Pension wise theres not a lot, whether I'll make the state pension who knows. 😀

Fair play for your honesty mate , some disrespect their parents saying they are ‘financially secure ‘ trying to hide the fact it’s for one reason ... 

Your folks would be proud of you 👍 

• Thumbs up 1

Says it all really ... What can an old man do ?? 
F8138DDD-2621-46E4-8487-38087C1F2809.png

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Parky said:

Says it all really ... What can an old man do ?? 

Become an old woman apparently

10year.jpg

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Parky said:

Lol you were considering  equity release ... I told you what a joke it was ... You argued against it you were keen on it lol 

Those living in UK with no investments in UK will find it hard going , stuck in a poxy house no heating .... 

It’s not easy for anyone in the world with no money ... nothing to do with countries ..

The ones who get hammered are guys who get divorced a few times , later in life at 55 can’t get work and struggle on , they live a really frugal life and when they get their pension they are ‘Terminal tight ‘ won’t spend any money ... 

‘As you breathe now some people are taking their last breath , live your life now ‘  that’s the situation for all of us ... All this fear of doing what you want is madness ..

5 hours ago, Parky said:

Like many, investigate all possibilities. Many expats as you well know, rely on agencies to stay in Thailand many of which are under the magnifying glass. Health issues are inevitable as we age and Thais are sick of picking up the bill.

Whilst as you say anyone no matter which country they reside in no money is shite. But many have got away with getting around rules in Thailand which is not so easy now.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, john42 said:

Like many, investigate all possibilities. Many expats as you well know, rely on agencies to stay in Thailand many of which are under the magnifying glass. Health issues are inevitable as we age and Thais are sick of picking up the bill.

Whilst as you say anyone no matter which country they reside in no money is shite. But many have got away with getting around rules in Thailand which is not so easy now.

Rely on agencies 🤣 You really don’t understand much here do you  , that comment says it all .... Really it does ..

Agencies under magnifying glass 🔍 really ...

What rules ? Are people getting round ? 

I won’t explain here as it’s not for this forum , but you really have no idea ...

36 minutes ago, Parky said:

Rely on agencies 🤣 You really don’t understand much here do you  , that comment says it all .... Really it does ..

Agencies under magnifying glass 🔍 really ...

What rules ? Are people getting round ? 

I won’t explain here as it’s not for this forum , but you really have no idea ...

Didn't think you would understand...lol Stick to taking snaps of your food.

Always best to stick at what your good at. Any news on senders your boring favourite topic?

7 minutes ago, john42 said:

Didn't think you would understand...lol Stick to taking snaps of your food.

Always best to stick at what your good at. Any news on senders your boring favourite topic?

John you have no idea , are you really that thick ?  

Talk about slow in uptake , visas are a problem ... you ever got a driving licence here ? Again there are agencies ... thick as the counter is all you are ..

1 hour ago, Parky said:

John you have no idea , are you really that thick ?  

Talk about slow in uptake , visas are a problem ... you ever got a driving licence here ? Again there are agencies ... thick as the counter is all you are ..

Visas are an issue for those who do not have the required amount to facilitate  retirement in Thailand. Thus they use one of many agencies who do it for them.

But you do know this, just enjoy discord as usual. Nothing changes.

16 minutes ago, john42 said:

Visas are an issue for those who do not have the required amount to facilitate  retirement in Thailand. Thus they use one of many agencies who do it for them.

But you do know this, just enjoy discord as usual. Nothing changes.

Utter bullshit , a person can use an agency if they have the funds to pay 💰 Using an agency is no issue ... Many people here do ..

You are so far of beam it’s not true .... it’s hard to believe your lack of understanding on the matter ... frightening in fact ..

35 minutes ago, Parky said:

Utter bullshit , a person can use an agency if they have the funds to pay 💰 Using an agency is no issue ... Many people here do ..

You are so far of beam it’s not true .... it’s hard to believe your lack of understanding on the matter ... frightening in fact ..

Its not legitimate which means borrowed time. Only reason it works is corruption. 

For example, if officials were payed enough you would be thrown in jail.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, john42 said:

Its not legitimate which means borrowed time. Only reason it works is corruption. 

For example, if officials were payed enough you would be thrown in jail.

You really have no idea 💡 scary stuff .. 

Why would I be thrown in jail ? You are having a breakdown .. really .. 

If you just thought for one minute you may be able to process the situation.. unreal .. You get all your information from forums and the internet regards Thailand you are no more than a clueless dreamer .... deluded you really are 

34 minutes ago, Parky said:

You really have no idea 💡 scary stuff .. 

Why would I be thrown in jail ? You are having a breakdown .. really .. 

If you just thought for one minute you may be able to process the situation.. unreal .. You get all your information from forums and the internet regards Thailand you are no more than a clueless dreamer .... deluded you really are 

Corruption is a reality in Thailand. Fact. You have been a sexpat how many years?

john , imagine the scenario .

your 55 years of age , live in thailand .

you want to renew your extension of stay based on retirement .

you have the required money in the bank , you get a copy of your bank details and a letter from your bank , you get a couple of passport pics .

you hand them to your agent , along with your passport and proof of address .

he gets you to sign the immigration paper and fills in the rest of the details .

you go play golf with your mates .

in the meantime your agent does all the photocopying and goes to immigration for you .

he gets priority treatment there while youd need queue .

your agent brings you back your passport with new extension .

you pay him .

what is illegal or corrupt about that .

• Thumbs up 3

1 hour ago, Parky said:

Actually some of my friends on the retirement visa that file the forms themselves have been asked by Immigration folks in Jomtien ... why don't you use an Agent?

Apparently they get used to the papers being in a certain order and Agents have it down pat.

• Thumbs up 2