Latest News
  • *** *** FIRTH is a word we must not forget , KEEP THE KIDS SAFE *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril *** can you remember when TRUST was something and HONOUR was something *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril *** KARMA IS A FUCKING BITCH ***

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
matthewh

pattaya isnt expensive,people just have less money

3 hours ago, Murchie said:

Married with Children, old time classic TV.

Very funny series back in the eighties...

• Thumbs up 1

36 minutes ago, john42 said:

Very funny series back in the eighties...

Agreed 

On 1/10/2020 at 9:55 AM, vpi78 said:

Yep, there are ten or so like that, Private Dancer, etc., which should be read before anyone buys a house ... unless of course it was always just a write-off.

Stephen Leather, the author, used to spend a lot of time in Pattaya, and if you read his books that have a Thai background you may see some familiar names.

Guys such as Kim Fletcher would donate to a charity to have their name used.

14 minutes ago, TommySmith said:

Stephen Leather, the author, used to spend a lot of time in Pattaya, and if you read his books that have a Thai background you may see some familiar names.

Guys such as Kim Fletcher would donate to a charity to have their name used.

Yeah, that's my understanding as well. It was a much different time then in Bangkok in that working folks would hang out at places like Jools, Washington Square, etc., rather than digital nomads or looky loos like you see on Cowboy these days. Jools was one of those places people who think Stickman is an idiot tended to go to get news about what was happening in town but after Leather published PD on line because as the story goes he could not get a publisher at the time; Jools became a bucket list item after reading Private Dancer ... same same Tilac/Cowboy/The 'Hangover - Part 2.' My favorite part of PD was the recipes listed at the start of each chapter.

I often have flashbacks when I pass that spot. It's sad to see it has become just another 7.

jools.jpg

Across the soi "The Tavern' is another locals drinking hole, was Finnegans before I think. Down that soi was the relocated BigMangoBar that was originally in NEP above Lucky Lukes, now on its way to becoming another budget or short timer hotel I hear.  

• Like 1

On 1/10/2020 at 9:07 AM, john42 said:

The value for money re exchange rate has pushed some to go elsewhere. But still OK for what you get.

I had wanted to go to Philippines ever since it went no smoking. I have to admit that the 37b was an additional incentive to make the trip a reality!  Been twice now and second trip planed on 25th Feb subject to Volcano.  

• Thumbs up 1

9 hours ago, eyes4thais said:

I had wanted to go to Philippines ever since it went no smoking. I have to admit that the 37b was an additional incentive to make the trip a reality!  Been twice now and second trip planed on 25th Feb subject to Volcano.  

Do you like the Philippines as much as Thailand ?

10 hours ago, eyes4thais said:

It’s nice there , but does not have infrastructure and they drive on wrong side of road , that said I really enjoyed my last trip ... Longer stays not so sure 

6 hours ago, Baldylocks said:

Do you like the Philippines as much as Thailand ?

I have not done the Philippines as much (Sorry third trip on 25th Feb) as Thailand, and Philippines has changed in the 7 yrs i was away.

Pros,

Inside air con bars and no smoking. A big plus for me!   Bigger pool tables and more popular, where the pool table is a major part of bar.  Grab taxis more advanced in Philippines.  Filipinos tend to share their friends more. "you want to see she!" 

Cons,

I dont have bank account in Phills so a lot more complicated getting money and topping up phone.  Still discovering AC so a lot to learn. No direct flights to CRK so a pain in the arse getting bus to AC/Airport. Although the jeepneys have been cleaned up from 7yrs ago it is still a smelly shit hole. Infrastructure better in thailand, and  less Jeepneys in AC. Long wait or grab. (I never use trike or motor bike taxi) 

I'm sure there are more but cant think of them at present. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/11/2020 at 10:09 PM, vpi78 said:

Yeah, that's my understanding as well. It was a much different time then in Bangkok in that working folks would hang out at places like Jools, Washington Square, etc., rather than digital nomads or looky loos like you see on Cowboy these days. Jools was one of those places people who think Stickman is an idiot tended to go to get news about what was happening in town but after Leather published PD on line because as the story goes he could not get a publisher at the time; Jools became a bucket list item after reading Private Dancer ... same same Tilac/Cowboy/The 'Hangover - Part 2.' My favorite part of PD was the recipes listed at the start of each chapter.

I often have flashbacks when I pass that spot. It's sad to see it has become just another 7.

jools.jpg

Across the soi "The Tavern' is another locals drinking hole, was Finnegans before I think. Down that soi was the relocated BigMangoBar that was originally in NEP above Lucky Lukes, now on its way to becoming another budget or short timer hotel I hear.  

Great memories.Young American guys running Lucky Lukes used to mix the best cocktails Bangkok ........ and I am not a cocktail guy. Great lads.

Met Stephen Leather a few times in Big Dogs.  Stickman used to play squash with him. Very polite guy came across as very bright. Stickman took the iconic photo of the girl with the razor cover of Private Dancer. Then Rickys Bar in Pattaya Soi 15. 

Possibly the best book on naughty night life and what can happen. 

Then he would shack up with some tattooed 18 year old Nana Plaza bar girl and all hell would break loose. 

..and Big Mango too ....... yeah happy days !!! thank you VPI. 

I was looking through some old files and came across some photos from back in the day of Washington Square ...

Ned's Silver Dollar and my favorite Tata photo

sd1.jpg

sd2.jpg

sd3.jpg

sd4.jpg

sd5.jpg

George's Texxan Lone Star

tls2.jpg

tls3.jpg

tls4.jpg

tls5.jpg

tls6.jpg

tls7.jpg

tls8.jpg

WS in its death throes including a shot of the old Dubliner and a view out of the old WS theater which became the Mambo and then the initial site of the Sportsman before it relocated to the basement of the Trendy Complex off Soi 13.

ws1.jpg

ws2.jpg

ws3.jpg

ws4.jpg

ws5.jpg

There aren't many old drinking holes left in Bangkok these days. I'm going to wander through QPP one last time next week. It'll be mixed feelings I reckon but not all progress is good.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs up 1

14 minutes ago, vpi78 said:

I was looking through some old files and came across some photos from back in the day of Washington Square ...

Ned's Silver Dollar and my favorite Tata photo

sd1.jpg

sd2.jpg

sd3.jpg

sd4.jpg

sd5.jpg

George's Texxan Lone Star

tls2.jpg

tls3.jpg

tls4.jpg

tls5.jpg

tls6.jpg

tls7.jpg

tls8.jpg

WS in its death throes including a shot of the old Dubliner and a view out of the old WS theater which became the Mambo and then the initial site of the Sportsman before it relocated to the basement of the Trendy Complex off Soi 13.

ws1.jpg

ws2.jpg

ws3.jpg

ws4.jpg

ws5.jpg

There aren't many old drinking holes left in Bangkok these days. I'm going to wander through QPP one last time next week. It'll be mixed feelings I reckon but not all progress is good.

Thanks for sharing Tom brought back some great memories.

4 hours ago, Al McReady said:

Thanks for sharing Tom brought back some great memories.

De nada. It's always bittersweet for me, i.e., glad I was around when those places were hopping but sad to see them go away.

Reminds me to make sure I stop in and have a drink at the Tavern and Chequers off Soi 4 before I head back to Texas next week. When places like that go ... they don't come back better. Jools is actually reincarnated in a backpacker area these days and it's not much like it used to be on Soi 4.

• Like 1

as I haven't been to walking street for a good while,im curious to know the beer prices.a friend sent me some random receipts from other places.the price of changs gone up a lot.i will load them and put them here.

here are the comparisons,which is why I asked about walking street.ive drank at the tomas bar soi diana over the years.never this pricey for a chang

82041780_3455411637834630_2230934540438732800_o.jpg

82805037_3455412521167875_7834977696114278400_o.jpg

82940561_3455412244501236_8406160715294965760_o.jpg

3 minutes ago, matthewh said:

here are the comparisons,which is why I asked about walking street.ive drank at the tomas bar soi diana over the years.never this pricey for a chang

82041780_3455411637834630_2230934540438732800_o.jpg

82805037_3455412521167875_7834977696114278400_o.jpg

82940561_3455412244501236_8406160715294965760_o.jpg

3 different bars, average price a bit less than 80 baht a bottle. Is that expensive?

Granted it's more than 7/11.... :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Smiler said:

3 different bars, average price a bit less than 80 baht a bottle. Is that expensive?

I wonder what the vodka is.i personally don't do spirits.is it a bottle.55

37 minutes ago, Smiler said:

chang is 55 b happy hour at my place and 70 b normal price at my place and im the only air con bar out of them and on high rent soi lk metro .

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mulphy said:

chang is 55 b happy hour at my place and 70 b normal price at my place and im the only air con bar out of them and on high rent soi lk metro .

as you know alex,i don't drink chang,heineken will be more.

Places on cowboy charging 150b for a bottle of local Thai beer. Absolutely insane. Pure piss and not even worth half that.

2 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

Places on cowboy charging 150b for a bottle of local Thai beer. Absolutely insane. Pure piss and not even worth half that.

fucking hell,and its not a big one.

5 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

hence my earlier question about walking street.in april I was paying 50 for a hieneken.i think some people are not clued up and go to the wrong places.

5 minutes ago, matthewh said:

hence my earlier question about walking street.in april I was paying 50 for a hieneken.i think some people are not clued up and go to the wrong places.

Walking street is no different to the red light district in Amsterdam now matty and the prices reflect that. 

• Like 1