Latest News
  • *** word of the day FRIENDSHIP .LOYALTY has expired*** POODLE has expired. *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril *** INTEGRITY was word of the day. even though we spelt it wrong . *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril ***

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Evil Penevil

Le Petite Planete

I can recommend Le Petite Planete for French-style cuisine. It's run by a Belgian who knows his cooking. It's located about half-way down a sub soi that runs along one side of Tukcom, the side closet to 2nd Road. It's small and there's nothing fancy about the place, but the food is excellent. For a quick, unpretentious French-style bistro meal, Le Petite Planete is a good choice. It also features a limit menu of Thai food and the girls I've taken there who've sampled the Thai dishes gave it the thumbs up.

post-276-0-58221300-1330824299.jpg

I've never had a bad meal there and more than one truly good one. He's one of my favorites, couscous with grilled meat and seasonal root vegetables. The couscous had been steamed properly, the vegetables, served as a side dish, were flavorful and the meat (quarter chicken, leg and thigh; some chunks of beef; and two small pieces of lamb) was tasty. It cost 350 baht.

post-276-0-42935400-1330824294.jpg

Last weekend had the three-course Special of the Day. You get three or four choices each for the starter, main course and dessert. For starters, you can have soup; salad or pate. The four main-course possibilities are a beef, pork, chicken or fish dish, while dessert is pudding, cake, sorbet or fruit salad. The main dish is accompanied by your choice of potato (French fried, mashed, baked or boiled) and a small serving of vegetables as well as fresh French bread.

I started with country-style pate (the homemade pickles were a nice touch):

post-276-0-51744100-1330824305.jpg

and followed with Chicken Cordon Bleu:

post-276-0-27609600-1330824309.jpg

The chicken fillet had been pounded thin; the slice of ham added the right flavor accent and saltiness; and the Swiss cheese inside was bubbly. The outside surface was browned nicely and added flavor.

For dessert, I had creme caramel. The top surface looks dark in the picture, but in fact it was caramelized to just the right level . The sauce wasn't sickly sweet.

post-276-0-99584000-1330824311.jpg

It cost 270 baht for the three-course meal and another 70 baht for a bottle of San Miguel Light. Chang, Tiger and Leo are available for 40 or 50 baht, but I prefer SML.

One night I wasn't very hungry and just ordered the crab salad. I can't remember exactly how much it was, but about 100 baht.

post-276-0-69786200-1330824302.jpg

Side note: One night, this young lady was sitting at the table across from mine.

post-276-0-92245900-1330824290.jpg

She smiled invitingly and asked me why I was eating alone. I smiled back and answered, "Because I am alone - tonight." She laughed, but before she could say anything else, she got a text message on her cell phone and was occupied with it for several minutes, then finished her meal quickly and paid, smiling sweetly at me on the way out.

I have to wonder what she might have said/offered without the text message. Maybe she would invited me to join her in hopes I'd pick up the tab, but certain services might also have been offered at some point in the conversation. I'm guessing she worked in one of the Russian places on Walking Street, as those girls all live in the Day-Night Apartments just around the corner from Le Petite Planete.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil

Guest dannythered

I can recommend Le Petite Planete for French-style cuisine. It's run by a Belgian who knows his cooking. It's located about half-way down a sub soi that runs along one side of Tukcom, the side closet to 2nd Road. It's small and there's nothing fancy about the place, but the food is excellent. For a quick, unpretentious French-style bistro meal, Le Petite Planete is a good choice. It also features a limit menu of Thai food and the girls I've taken there who've sampled the Thai dishes gave it the thumbs up.

post-276-0-58221300-1330824299.jpg

I've never had a bad meal there and more than one truly good one. He's one of my favorites, couscous with grilled meat and seasonal root vegetables. The couscous had been steamed properly, the vegetables, served as a side dish, were flavorful and the meat (quarter chicken, leg and thigh; some chunks of beef; and two small pieces of lamb) was tasty. It cost 350 baht.

post-276-0-42935400-1330824294.jpg

Last weekend had the three-course Special of the Day. You get three or four choices each for the starter, main course and dessert. For starters, you can have soup; salad or pate. The four main-course possibilities are a beef, pork, chicken or fish dish, while dessert is pudding, cake, sorbet or fruit salad. The main dish is accompanied by your choice of potato (French fried, mashed, baked or boiled) and a small serving of vegetables as well as fresh French bread.

I started with country-style pate (the homemade pickles were a nice touch):

post-276-0-51744100-1330824305.jpg

and followed with Chicken Cordon Bleu:

post-276-0-27609600-1330824309.jpg

The chicken fillet had been pounded thin; the slice of ham added the right flavor accent and saltiness; and the Swiss cheese inside was bubbly. The outside surface was browned nicely and added flavor.

For dessert, I had creme caramel. The top surface looks dark in the picture, but in fact it was caramelized to just the right level . The sauce wasn't sickly sweet.

post-276-0-99584000-1330824311.jpg

It cost 270 baht for the three-course meal and another 70 baht for a bottle of San Miguel Light. Chang, Tiger and Leo are available for 40 or 50 baht, but I prefer SML.

One night I wasn't very hungry and just ordered the crab salad. I can't remember exactly how much it was, but about 100 baht.

post-276-0-69786200-1330824302.jpg

Side note: One night, this young lady was sitting at the table across from mine.

post-276-0-92245900-1330824290.jpg

She smiled invitingly and asked me why I was eating alone. I smiled back and answered, "Because I am alone - tonight." She laughed, but before she could say anything else, she got a text message on her cell phone and was occupied with it for several minutes, then finished her meal quickly and paid, smiling sweetly at me on the way out.

I have to wonder what she might have said/offered without the text message. Maybe she would invited me to join her in hopes I'd pick up the tab, but certain services might also have been offered at some point in the conversation. I'm guessing she worked in one of the Russian places on Walking Street, as those girls all live in the Day-Night Apartments just around the corner from Le Petite Planete.

Evil

Evil, are you trying to compete with Mr jones? 555 Very good and complete report Sir. I'll keep the place in the back of my mind.

I'd give ฿10 to know the actual intentions of the lady. A comely looking lass if I do say so myself.

Thanks for the report.

Did the place change name or is there another French bistro nearby?

Haven't been there for a while but each time I was there it was excellent and heard only good critics.

Thanks for the report.

Did the place change name or is there another French bistro nearby?

Haven't been there for a while but each time I was there it was excellent and heard only good critics.

There is a larger French restaurant a few doors down from LPP, the name of which escapes me now. That one I wouldn't call a bistro, though. It's more a full-on restaurant, something between a bistro and a fine-dining restaurant. But the restaurant in the report has been called Le Petite Planete for at least three years now.

Actually, the area has quite a few French or French-inspired restaurants that serve reasonably priced food. On the first cross (sub)soi from the one on which LPP is located, there's one called the Dolphin Restaurant. I've had excellent meals there, too.

Evil

I think the big one is La Cuisine Beurre, also excellent food and value.

Cheers

Egon Plakapong

I think the big one is La Cuisine Beurre, also excellent food and value.

Cheers

Egon Plakapong

Thank you! That's the name. Also within a couple of minutes walking distance are Le Bordeaux (a bit more expensive than LPP) and the Dolphin Restaurant. (same prices as LPP). There's yet another restaurant on Soi Day Night 2 that bills itself as French - Thai, but I've never eaten there.

Evil

post-276-0-28763500-1330918301.jpg

Another nice meal at Le Petite Planete, this time a tomato stuffed with minced beef and served with a lovely tomato sauce, mashed potatoes and vegetables.

The sauce was so good I asked for more. It cost 189 baht.

Evil

post-276-0-91554300-1332906497.jpg

Guest Parkwahn

Good report Evil, looks like its worth a try.

Next time Mike Asia is in town can you show him some decent gaffs to eat ..:laughing:

La Petite Planete is another restaurant where I used to eat frequently, but my visits became very infrequent when I moved from the area. I've been back several times in the past few weeks, so I decided it's time for an update.

post-9139-0-79806400-1438558419.jpg

Outwardly, not much has changed. It's still the small, well-lit and spotlessly clean restaurant I remember. Even though it had been at least two years since I'd eaten there, the staff remembered me and gave me a very warm welcome.

On my first return visit a month ago I had the weekend (only) special, couscous royale. I didn't have my camera with me, so no pics. The couscous had been a favorite at La Petite Planete and I was happy to renew my acquaintance with it. There was a large helping of very tasty slow-cooked lamb and huge portions of couscous and vegetables. It's still the best couscous I've had in Pattaya.

post-9139-0-05073100-1438558426.jpg

Last night I had the three-course special at 320 baht. You can mix-and-match among three different starters, main dishes and desserts. I chose to begin with the tomato and mozzarella salad, which was a bit of a disappointment. Never the mozzarella nor the tomatoes had much taste and were overwhelmed by the vinegar dressing.

post-9139-0-56580100-1438558441.jpg

I had the tournedos with Roquefort sauce as my main course. Tournedos are sliced from the beef tenderloin and often called filet mignon in the U.S. I asked for it medium rare, but it got it rare.

post-9139-0-24821000-1438558452.jpg

That's OK with me as I prefer beef rare when it is tender and my tournedos certainly was. The surface was seared nicely and well seasoned with pepper.

post-9139-0-61943700-1438558459.jpg

The Roquefort sauce, which I used on my mashed potatoes and vegetables, had plenty of flavor. The chef hadn't skimped on the cheese, whic is how I like it. The mashed potatoes were also good and the standard vegetables (peas, arrots, cauliflower) didn't have all the taste boiled out of them.

post-9139-0-01916700-1438558467.jpg

I finished with fruit crepes. I expected it would come with tropical fruit, but the thin pancake was topped with a cherry compote and ice cream.

post-9139-0-71844200-1438565276.jpg

It was quite good and not too sweet, but the bottom layer was more of a thin pancake than a crepes because of its texture.

The meal was satisfactory but not excellent, not quite at the level I recalled at La Petite Planete. The couscous, however, held the old mettle. SML cost 80 baht/bottle.

Evil

Time for an update.

IMG_0288.jpg

La Petite Planète has been offering French food for many years now.  I don't when it opened, but I've enjoyed meals there since 2008. It's located about half-way down a sub soi that runs along the west side of Tukcom.  It's small and there's nothing fancy about it, but the food is excellent. For a  unpretentious bistro meal, La Petite Planète is a good choice. I've never had a bad meal there and plenty of truly good ones. It also features a limit menu of Thai food and the girls I've taken there who've sampled the Thai dishes gave it the thumbs up.

Last summer I took an American friend to LPP and he's become a huge fan.  He visits Pattaya three or four times a year and now eats at LPP several times each trip. Sunday night we had another meal there.  As usual, we both went for the three-course "mix-and-match" menu.  At 320 baht, it's excellent value for money. 

IMG_0287.jpg

He started with the tomato soup ...

IMG_0271.jpg

while I had the couscous salad.

IMG_0272.jpg

The starters came with a basket of warm, fresh French bread and pats of butter.

IMG_0274.jpg

He chose salmon steak with potato croquettes as his main course ...

IMG_0277.jpg

IMG_0276.jpg

and I went with the chicken breast with mustard sauce.

IMG_0282.jpg

For dessert, he decided on the French classic crème caramel ...IMG_0283.jpg

and I had raspberry pudding in a cake "frame."

IMG_0285.jpg

No complaints from either of us on any of our choices.  All the dishes were prepared with quality ingredients, executed well and were full of flavor.  The mustard sauce was outstanding, the highlight of my meal.  La petite planète has conquered the bugbear of many small restaurants- inconsistency.   Every meal is good. I do wish they'd have a bit more variation with the vegetables- I get tired of the holy trinity of broccoli, cauliflower and carrots- but that's a very minor point.  To get three course of that quality for only 320 baht is an excellent deal.

Bottom line:  Both of us will be going back to LPP, probably this week.  One important point of information:  LPP is closed Tuesdays.

Evil

IMG_0280.jpg