Latest News
  • *** word of the day FRIENDSHIP .LOYALTY has expired*** POODLE has expired. *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril *** INTEGRITY was word of the day. even though we spelt it wrong . *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril ***

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Izi

Eye Testing

Need to have a proper eye exam any suggestions recommendations as to where to get this done? Is this a hospital job??

No input on this huh?

Ok over to Pattaya Addicts

Unless you are fluent in thai get trhe test done in your own country

Go to the eye clinic at BKK-Pattaya hospital, won't be cheap (nothing is in there) but I'm sure they will be able to do what ever tests you require.

My Polish mate recently had an eye test.

The optician showed him a card with the letters

'C Z W I N O S T A C Z'

"Can you read this?" the optician asked.

"Read it?" he replied, "I know the guy."

Go to the eye clinic at BKK-Pattaya hospital, won't be cheap (nothing is in there) but I'm sure they will be able to do what ever tests you require.

That is kind of what I was thinking. Expense wise though It is bound to be cheaper than the states. Over there you are greeted by 2 guys, the first says hi I am Dr Smith and Mr Jones here will be arranging financing!

That is kind of what I was thinking. Expense wise though It is bound to be cheaper than the states. Over there you are greeted by 2 guys, the first says hi I am Dr Smith and Mr Jones here will be arranging financing!

Im sure the likes of Walmart test for free if you buy the glasses off them. thats how it works in the UK with Tesco or Boots.

If you dont order the glasses the test is no more than about 20 quid.

Eye tests in Thailand are crap, eye testing is quite technical, a Thai will not understand you describing things, no Thai would know say

fuzzy

blurry

faint etc

An eye test in Thailand if properly done should only be conducted in Thai language

I dont arrange financing, its bad enough when I dispense good advice for free it falls on deaf ears

Im sure the likes of Walmart test for free if you buy the glasses off them. thats how it works in the UK with Tesco or Boots.

If you dont order the glasses the test is no more than about 20 quid.

Eye tests in Thailand are crap, eye testing is quite technical, a Thai will not understand you describing things, no Thai would know say

fuzzy

blurry

faint etc

An eye test in Thailand if properly done should only be conducted in Thai language

I dont arrange financing, its bad enough when I dispense good advice for free it falls on deaf ears

No disrespect Rob but have you ever been to the eye clinic at BP hospital, the top eye surgeon there speaks better English than I do, most of the doctors there were trained in America.

I'm also guessing Izi is enquiring about a more detailed examination than just a check for glasses, which is free at most optician here also.

No disrespect Rob but have you ever been to the eye clinic at BP hospital, the top eye surgeon there speaks better English than I do, most of the doctors there were trained in America.

I'm also guessing Izi is enquiring about a more detailed examination than just a check for glasses, which is free at most optician here also.

No I havent but I had an eye test in the UK last year, its a very thorough examination which requires a lot of explaining that only a fluent English speaker would understand.

Surgeons at BPH don't do the testing, surgeons there I'm sure probably know all about the iris and pupil and god knows what but that is not the problem. The problem is communicating and understanding the patients inferences and what he said and what he meant.

The patient doesnt really know what the problem is.

Now I have no problem communicating usually anywhere but to explain something to an optician and then compare and contrast that something with something (a lense in the frame of a test glasses frame similar but a bit different) was very difficult when I was tested in Tescos last year.

I very much doubt a fluent person anywhere in Thailand would be conducting eye tests. Fluent is a rare thing in Thailand, think former Thai PM.......listening and understanding technical terms is almost impossible for any non native speaker in any country. You dont generally learn things like that.

To answer that bit. No, but my good mate was rushed to Hong Kong to save his sight less than a year ago after a simple cateract removal there. Nuff said for me

No I havent but I had an eye test in the UK last year, its a very thorough examination which requires a lot of explaining that only a fluent English speaker would understand.

Surgeons at BPH don't do the testing, surgeons there I'm sure probably know all about the iris and pupil and god knows what but that is not the problem. The problem is communicating and understanding the patients inferences and what he said and what he meant.

The patient doesnt really know what the problem is.

Now I have no problem communicating usually anywhere but to explain something to an optician and then compare and contrast that something with something (a lense in the frame of a test glasses frame similar but a bit different) was very difficult when I was tested in Tescos last year.

I very much doubt a fluent person anywhere in Thailand would be conducting eye tests. Fluent is a rare thing in Thailand, think former Thai PM.......listening and understanding technical terms is almost impossible for any non native speaker in any country. You dont generally learn things like that.

Fair enough, I don't have much experience personally but when my wife had her LASIK done there the same guy who finally did the operation was involved with all the pre-tests and explained to me in perfect English what each test was and involved a lot more technical terms than fuzzy or blurry.

Fair enough, I don't have much experience personally but when my wife had her LASIK done there the same guy who finally did the operation was involved with all the pre-tests and explained to me in perfect English what each test was and involved a lot more technical terms than fuzzy or blurry.

Scotty its the cross over in languages and communications that I have the issues with and why I would go to an optician in the UK instead of here. Im sure that they can do surgery in their own way and your point about them explaining technical terms more detailed then fuzzy and blurry would leave me confused because Im not a optician, I had to look up what Lasik was. I need simple language I know the fuzzy words and the Thai eye surgeons know the technical words but thats no good to either the doctor or patient

When did you have an eye test last?

I was amazed at how detailed they now are. It took me all of my skills to explain to the optician how I felt when he was changing the lenses in the test frames.

better

no not better

er I think a little bit blurred now

too hazy now

no good

thats better.............

Strangely enough I had my eyes tested today for a medical for my new job, I've got 20/20 vision, so I don't really have any experience in the problems you've encountered.

Couple of years ago I was getting a lot of headaches, got few tests done at BP hospital on my eyes, the consultant told me my eyes were near perfect, he then asked how long per day I spent in front of a PC, it was about 8 hours per day due to my job then. He told me every 15 minutes to close my eyes for 30 seconds as the muscles were being stained, headaches were gone and had no problems since.

Spot on mate that is the situation. I can get a fairly decent examination in Walmart - Rob is right - but I want a doctor not a person who is just fitting me up with some binnses. I think the hospital is going to be the place.

Having read Rob's further comments I am going to wait and have it done in the states.

Spot on mate that is the situation. I can get a fairly decent examination in Walmart - Rob is right - but I want a doctor not a person who is just fitting me up with some binnses. I think the hospital is going to be the place.

Definitely not worth doing it here if you have any doubts at all, anything to do with eyes scares the shit out of me, the cost doesn't even come into the equation.

Having read Rob's further comments I am going to wait and have it done in the states.

^^ Oops I think something happened to that post

Dunno what happened, anyway, was just saying you are quite right to get it done where you are most comfortable, the cost doesn't even come into the equation when it's anything to do with the eyes.

Dunno what happened, anyway, was just saying you are quite right to get it done where you are most comfortable, the cost doesn't even come into the equation when it's anything to do with the eyes.

10/4 ON THAT GOOD BUDDY. Thanks for input, gratefully received

10/4 ON THAT GOOD BUDDY. Thanks for input, gratefully received

Bloody hell, that takes me back 30 years, breaker 19 for a copy, what's your 20 etc....

Bloody hell, that takes me back 30 years, breaker 19 for a copy, what's your 20 etc....

Way of life for me

Guest chris2004

I made the mistake of having my eyes tested when i was buying a pair of specs at one of the thai optical shops. The specs came back with a completely wrong prescription, couldn't use them. I use my UK prescription now and just give it to the shop, even if it is out of date.