Latest News
  • *** word of the day FRIENDSHIP .LOYALTY has expired*** POODLE has expired. *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril *** INTEGRITY was word of the day. even though we spelt it wrong . *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril ***

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shilo

High Blood Pressure

Strangely, in light of how much neglect and abuse I have leveled on my body during most of my adult life, I have been blessed with relatively few health problems. But recently, there has been a noticeable spike in my blood pressure readings when I visit my lone Pattaya doctor for a vision related issues. That along with some tightness in the chest when walking (or other noticeable signs) has got me thinking that it is time to talk with someone about possible blood pressure issues. I also believe that this has been an issue along my family tree.

The problem is that I'm not sure where to start and I don't feel comfortable just taking a stab in the dark...

I would love to get any info or recommendations on next steps from those with first hand experience.

Guest sfib

Strangely, in light of how much neglect and abuse I have leveled on my body during most of my adult life, I have been blessed with relatively few health problems. But recently, there has been a noticeable spike in my blood pressure readings when I visit my lone Pattaya doctor for a vision related issues. That along with some tightness in the chest when walking (or other noticeable signs) has got me thinking that it is time to talk with someone about possible blood pressure issues. I also believe that this has been an issue along my family tree.

The problem is that I'm not sure where to start and I don't feel comfortable just taking a stab in the dark...

I would love to get any info or recommendations on next steps from those with first hand experience.

OK I have some advice along with some questions. I don't expect you to answer personal questions on an open forum so I will try to give the answers to the possible answers, but you can always PM me for clarification.

You say a noticeable spike in your BP. Is this a one-off or is it a persistent spike, and what level? Doctors won't normally treat a one-off reading, unless it's something stupid like 170/110, but if you have consistently high readings then something should be done.

The eye problem and the tightness in the chest are big warning signs. Do you/did you smoke? Have you had a cholesterol check? How about blood sugar, as high blood sugar can affect your vision, your blood pressure and aid in blocking your arteries. High BP itself can also damage your eyes.

Chest pain which eases when the exercise ceases, as opposed to pain which remains, is most probably a bit of angina as opposed to muscular pain. Angina is basically your heart muscle getting a stitch because not enough oxygen is getting to it due to partially blocked arteries.

If I were you I would do the following...return to your doctor and ask for

blood pressure check

fasting blood glucose and fasting lipids test

CRP test.

If then and there your BP is above say 140/90, ask to go on medication.

The new accepted treatment regimen is an ACE inhibitor plus a calcium channel blocker. Some people have bad reactions to ACE, but there is another generation of ACE drugs, angiotensin 2 receptor antagonists which do. They will probably not use a beta blocker unless you have severe cardiac symptoms.

If you smoke, stop. If your cholesterol comes back high, get on meds. I know there are opinions out there about statins, cholesterol and their relative efficacy in heart disease, nevertheless plaques in arteries have a heavy cholesterol component.

Angina, if that is what you have, let's hope not, can only really be definitively diagnosed via an angiogram, however the evidence of pain when exerting yourself which dissipates quickly when you stop, a history of smoking +/- high sugar/cholesterol and a high CRP result would tend to suggest angina, in which case controlling blood pressure is a priority.

So I suppose you are wondering how to go about it? I'd just be straight up with the GP and say you're worried and can I have these tests, after all you'll be paying.

Anything else, get back to me here or PM me.

Cheers

I was 117/78 at my annual check up today, funnily I was there yesterday and they did the BP as well, it was 117/74 so I am happy that the readings offered a favourable/good average. Dentist says my teeth are excellent and the doctor today told me everything is fine, all levels are within what they should be. Heart fine, chest x-ray normal and all my bits are behaving as they should do.

Today for me is a good day. If I had any worries about my health/BP I would be straight to a doctor at a good hospital but hopefully the annual checks will pick up most things.

Well, first off, thanks for all of the replies and info. And for those who have mentioned it, I don't plan to ignore the problem and or consider any form of self-medication. At the moment I am focusing most of my attention of finding a doctor/hospital that I can trust...

And it is also worth mentioning that the more I have read and researched my "problem", I am inclined to believe that my main issue isn't High Blood Pressure... I'm pretty sure that I am dealing with Stable Angina. Someone on another board pointed me in that direction and I have to admit that the symptoms are pretty much dead on. Naturally, I'll have to follow through with the tests to know for sure.

Somehow, I feel like I may be better off working with a Heart doctor who can distinguish between the two rather then a General doctor who might focus on the blood pressure... but I'm sure that I will know more once I get in for some tests.

Lose weight, excercise even if it is walking two miles a day. You don't want to start taking blood preassure medication if you can prevent it. The medication works but often makes a hard on more difficult to come by. Don't go there if you don't have to.

Guest sfib

Lose weight, excercise even if it is walking two miles a day. You don't want to start taking blood preassure medication if you can prevent it. The medication works but often makes a hard on more difficult to come by. Don't go there if you don't have to.

If he has angina, which it sounds as if he has, he will have to go on BP medication and should do sooner rather than later as the plaques will be growing daily.

If he has angina, which it sounds as if he has, he will have to go on BP medication and should do sooner rather than later as the plaques will be growing daily.

Ive got angina tablets but have never taken them, having had a heart attack i panic if i get any sort of pain in the chest area, be it heart burn or indigestion and go straight to A&E. The problem is when they do a heart trace it always shows you have had a heart attack but they dont know if its new or old until they have the blood test results, so you end up spending a night in hospital for nothing.

Guest sfib

Ive got angina tablets but have never taken them, having had a heart attack i panic if i get any sort of pain in the chest area, be it heart burn or indigestion and go straight to A&E. The problem is when they do a heart trace it always shows you have had a heart attack but they dont know if its new or old until they have the blood test results, so you end up spending a night in hospital for nothing.

Yeah, they'll do your troponin levels, 2 tests, 9 hours apart (in Oz). However they should be able to look at your last ECG and compare it, looking for changes for reassurance, but the gold standard is blood. Did they not tell you to take your anginine if you have chest pain and see if symptoms are relieved? People living with angina will get this often so if I were you I'd think about popping a tab, or using spray if you have pain and if it's not resolved in 30 mins, get to emergency.

Yeah, they'll do your troponin levels, 2 tests, 9 hours apart (in Oz). However they should be able to look at your last ECG and compare it, looking for changes for reassurance, but the gold standard is blood. Did they not tell you to take your anginine if you have chest pain and see if symptoms are relieved? People living with angina will get this often so if I were you I'd think about popping a tab, or using spray if you have pain and if it's not resolved in 30 mins, get to emergency.

Mate i go to the Luton & Dunstable Hospital, i dont think they keep records lol. As i said if i get chest pains im not waiting around to see if an angina tablet will make me feel better i could die if it is a heart attack. Some will say im a drama queen but i want to see my 1st grand child born. Its hard to explain to people who have not had a heart attack but angina is the same sort of symptoms as a heart attack so im sorry im not hanging around to see if its angina....am i a pussy?

Guest sfib

Mate i go to the Luton & Dunstable Hospital, i dont think they keep records lol. As i said if i get chest pains im not waiting around to see if an angina tablet will make me feel better i could die if it is a heart attack. Some will say im a drama queen but i want to see my 1st grand child born. Its hard to explain to people who have not had a heart attack but angina is the same sort of symptoms as a heart attack so im sorry im not hanging around to see if its angina....am i a pussy?

No, you are bang on, early intervention is the key, however angina is nearly always from activity, whereas a heart attack can be from f**k all. I would hate to live your life, are you not on the list for a stent or bypass?

No, you are bang on, early intervention is the key, however angina is nearly always from activity, whereas a heart attack can be from f**k all. I would hate to live your life, are you not on the list for a stent or bypass?

I have scaring on my heart and early stages of heart disease. I have not asked too many questions and dont really understand the condition of my heart, ive been too scared to ask lol. I just take my meds like a good boy and enjoy life the best i can without worrying too much. Why is it the heart is a muscle and if you damage a muscle in your leg or back ect it will heal but your heart wont?

Guest sfib

I have scaring on my heart and early stages of heart disease. I have not asked too many questions and dont really understand the condition of my heart, ive been too scared to ask lol. I just take my meds like a good boy and enjoy life the best i can without worrying too much. Why is it the heart is a muscle and if you damage a muscle in your leg or back ect it will heal but your heart wont?

Different type of muscle fibres mate . The big difference is that that when you say pull a muscle and it is damaged, it will repair because blood can get to it. With the heart muscle, a heart attack is when when the blood supply to that part of the muscle is interrupted or stopped. That piece of muscle actually dies because no oxygen can get to it as opposed to say a torn muscle in your leg which is not due to a blockage, but physical damage. Skeletal muscle can die too, but such conditions are rare and even your largest muscles working flat out have a small fraction of the energy demands of your ticker.

The scarring on your heart is bits of dead heart muscle, and depending on where they are makes the difference. The heart is a pump, you know that, and it pumps by using coordinated electrical activity. If there is a break in the conductance, so to speak, then the muscle can beat irregularly and go into VF or VT.

None of my business at all mate, but hurrying your head in the sand is maybe not the best approach. Knowing your enemy is half the battle. I know a little knowledge can be dangerous, but I really believe empowerment is better than ignorance, not meaning to sound rude.

Cheers.

Different type of muscle fibres mate . The big difference is that that when you say pull a muscle and it is damaged, it will repair because blood can get to it. With the heart muscle, a heart attack is when when the blood supply to that part of the muscle is interrupted or stopped. That piece of muscle actually dies because no oxygen can get to it as opposed to say a torn muscle in your leg which is not due to a blockage, but physical damage. Skeletal muscle can die too, but such conditions are rare and even your largest muscles working flat out have a small fraction of the energy demands of your ticker.

The scarring on your heart is bits of dead heart muscle, and depending on where they are makes the difference. The heart is a pump, you know that, and it pumps by using coordinated electrical activity. If there is a break in the conductance, so to speak, then the muscle can beat irregularly and go into VF or VT.

None of my business at all mate, but hurrying your head in the sand is maybe not the best approach. Knowing your enemy is half the battle. I know a little knowledge can be dangerous, but I really believe empowerment is better than ignorance, not meaning to sound rude.

Cheers.

I will say im as strong as an ox but get out of breath very quickly and start sweating like a pig with a red face lol.

I will say im as strong as an ox but get out of breath very quickly and start sweating like a pig with a red face lol.

words don't work; find a picture on the www that would explain what you are talking about. so far i got the illusion of a big ox with a red pig face,

My advice stands, walk two miles a day, do all you can to stay off BP medication, espcially if you want that ox dick to keep ploughing.