Latest News
  • *** SUCK MY COCK YOU FUCKING SNIDE CUNTS *** FIRTH is a word we must not forget , KEEP THE KIDS SAFE *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril *** can you remember when TRUST was something and HONOUR was something *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril *** KARMA IS A FUCKING BITCH ***

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Izi

Building A House From Scratch In Roi Et

Izi I would recommend you compare the prices of so called kitset homes against permanent, kitset on a per sq m rate are much more expensive with poorer finish

Here at home the kits are definitely more expensive. You're paying for the convenience of it just being delivered pre-made, no on-site construction required.

I can't answer everyones post right now because I am a little g&t'd. However I will tomorrow. I am extremely grateful for all this i/p because I am a know nothing. I have time to figure all this out but god I have a lot of distraction stateside. A lot to do besides this.

Keep it coming because it is really useful and I am sure many others are silently reading and processing this themselves.

Thanks again.

If your mrs. hasn't got a full-time job to attend to, I'd make her the project manager & have her find a construction crew to build it, most likely family members.

post-907-0-90155700-1393050368_thumb.jpg

This one looks alright.

2 bath 2 bed kitchen. Nice porch. looks like that includes installation.

Firstly I think it isn't a bad idea the knockdown home as there are less variable costs and less headaches than dealing with Issan buuilders. In my experience there is no way you'll get a price that remains fixed or end up with what was first agreed with the general jack of no trade rice planters professional builders, especially as you won't be there.

Termites may be a problem but I believe these little buggers end their winged stage by burying underground and then later reappearing to climb up to munch wood. I've read of chaps putting a large concrete base down with a pipe system in place near the edge through which they pump insecticide at the appropriate time of year.

You have hit the nail on the head mate. Less variable costs, bit more fixed. Now I find out that after land clearing a retaining wall has got to be built. I knew this crap was going to happen. Apparently the place is built with termite resistant wood and steel framing. So a regular dose of insecticide should do the trick.

Also the land belongs to the mother not the father. Every day another surprise.

I have time I will just keep plugging away.

Cats place is bloody nice.

attachicon.gifprefab med 1.jpg

This one looks alright.

2 bath 2 bed kitchen. Nice porch. looks like that includes installation.

That does look nice that mate. It is possible that the Thais would very rarely use the porch bench type seating though a they love being in the shade.

If your mrs. hasn't got a full-time job to attend to, I'd make her the project manager & have her find a construction crew to build it, most likely family members.

This can work but also can be an absolute nightmare.

You have hit the nail on the head mate. Less variable costs, bit more fixed. Now I find out that after land clearing a retaining wall has got to be built. I knew this crap was going to happen. Apparently the place is built with termite resistant wood and steel framing. So a regular dose of insecticide should do the trick.

Also the land belongs to the mother not the father. Every day another surprise.

I have time I will just keep plugging away.

Cats place is bloody nice.

Yup there's no worries re the wood munching bugs , parts of the roof struts in my place are teak boards that every 3 years I send a hobbit up with a mask to spray with insecticide. He checks for signs of munching also prevention , and in 10 years there are no signs of infestation at all .

Quality materials is the buzz word here ;)

Spray costs about $30

Also mate , if possible open a little shop for her , nothing fancy or expensive but will keep here occupied inbetween visits . Outlaws can always take care when you visit Patts together ;)

That does look nice that mate. It is possible that the Thais would very rarely use the porch bench type seating though a they love being in the shade.

When I looked at that I was seeing an awning built off the railing and anchored to the roof eave. You got to have shade! It would have high trees all around anyway.

Yup there's no worries re the wood munching bugs , parts of the roof struts in my place are teak boards that every 3 years I send a hobbit up with a mask to spray with insecticide. He checks for signs of munching also prevention , and in 10 years there are no signs of infestation at all .

Quality materials is the buzz word here ;)

Spray costs about $30

Also mate , if possible open a little shop for her , nothing fancy or expensive but will keep here occupied inbetween visits . Outlaws can always take care when you visit Patts together ;)

Good to know about the bug spray. I didn't think it would be a showstopper because people have lived there building houses for hundreds of years they must have figured it out.

As for the shop it is an excellent idea but won't work. Everybody in the village would have to march through the front yard of her parents house to get to the shop. Not only that but there is a small shop almost next door. Everybody shops at a coop anyway and gets a small refund. I want to come up with something like that though. She just suggested a small shop outside tent style selling childrens clothes. Not a bad idea. Some money income, cheap to start, can be picked up and put down and no competition.

When I looked at that I was seeing an awning built off the railing and anchored to the roof eave. You got to have shade! It would have high trees all around anyway.

Good to know about the bug spray. I didn't think it would be a showstopper because people have lived there building houses for hundreds of years they must have figured it out.

As for the shop it is an excellent idea but won't work. Everybody in the village would have to march through the front yard of her parents house to get to the shop. Not only that but there is a small shop almost next door. Everybody shops at a coop anyway and gets a small refund. I want to come up with something like that though. She just suggested a small shop outside tent style selling childrens clothes. Not a bad idea. Some money income, cheap to start, can be picked up and put down and no competition.

Yep , my mrs is a seamstress , also does hairdressing etc . Every other month she shaves all the kids hair for school ....I bought her a couple of electric head shavers from the UK , shaves skulls at 30 bht a pop and does hundreds .

Repairs shirts , shorts etc on her big sewing machine , small money but keeps her busy ...many many ideas ;)

prefab container housing here is seriously piss poor. if you want to see them for real, check out the sellers on the side of the new link road coming into Pattaya, after the rayong turnoff. I did a few months ago. very very thin, tincan walls, they will be ovens in the summer, in fact microwaves.

build with bricks, its cheap, its easy and its fast. you own the land, well she does, so a slab of concrete, a brickie or two and a roof an thats job done

Exactly.

prefab container housing here is seriously piss poor. if you want to see them for real, check out the sellers on the side of the new link road coming into Pattaya, after the rayong turnoff. I did a few months ago. very very thin, tincan walls, they will be ovens in the summer, in fact microwaves.

build with bricks, its cheap, its easy and its fast. you own the land, well she does, so a slab of concrete, a brickie or two and a roof an thats job done

I accept what you say but you have to understand that actually building a house anywhere is going to cost a lot of money.

I don't have a lot of money.

Remember this money is dead money, I have zero intention of ever living in Issan. There is no future in it. It is a complete give away.

I am busily reinvesting what I have back in the USA to build a stornger business. That comes first and it is finite. It will get to a point where it is where it needs to be. No more massive ploughing back in.

Meanwhile the house in Issan is a drain but something I feel I have to do. Bear in mind that they live with the parents right now which is free and although crowded is not the end of the world.

Sure the land is free but the house isn't!

It needs to be supervised, I can't be there or even would know what I am doing so I would have to hire a profesional builder preferably a falang. That will cost a bunch of money.

There are the materials to be taken into consideration, expensive as has been mentioned in this thread.

Then it has to be equipped. Furniture, AC etc.

By the time we get to the end of it not only will it take a long time but it will run up beyond a million baht, maybe 2 million.

I don't have a million baht right now.

Ok, what about a mortgage.

I can't get a mortgage in Thailand.

A knock down house is quick and cheaper, the costs are fixed. If I am wrong and you have a solid solution I am more than willing to learn but from where I am standing right now I can't do it.

Cat spent 750,000 baht. That was 4 years ago and I bet it wasn't 750,000b I think it was much more, you only have to look at the place to see that it is lovely.

I wish to the heavens that I could whack out 2 million baht and give my family the home I so heartily wish to give them but I can't. I have to think of wealth building for our whole future, a retirement in Thailand so I can be with them much more.

With respect, deepest respect to your wisdom and superior knowledge, I just can't throw $40,000 out of what I have in the world - it would be a very bad move. I believe it will cost that kind of money in the end. remember while all this is going on I still have to support them at the tune of $500 + a month.

It is a puzzle.

A knock down will probably be the answer unless I hear something different.

When I was a child my family lived in a caravan on top of Boxhill in Surrey. I remember the winter of '63, I lived it in a metal box with a wood fire long before Dream Academy sung about it. We had no running water, no toilet and no electricity for the first year. I survived it for 5 years turning out somewhat normal LOL. They will have electricity, toilet, shower and running water. More than I had in my tin box.

Now having got to the end of this complete whining session my gf was just telling me she can organize building with her father and aunt. I paused this reply and we talked. We both agreed that a bricks and mortar house is best. We also discussed the fact that the place will be an oven. We are / she is going to poke around and find out how much this will cost. If we can do this to a good standard without me sinking everything I own we are ON. That means proper toilet, shower, running water, electricity and AC.

All i/p here has been SERIOUSLY absorbed.

Thanks to all BMs who have contributed.

Why do I feel that I shall regret this post? Enter the slings and arrows. Oh well.

Guest chang_paarp

Izi, I understand you are wanting what is best for your family.

Just a word of warning, if you are building that close to the in-laws, just down the driveway as it were. Do not make the place too good as you may end up having permanent house guests that could cramp your style when you want to visit. :realmad::wallbash:

Izi, I understand you are wanting what is best for your family.

Just a word of warning, if you are building that close to the in-laws, just down the driveway as it were. Do not make the place too good as you may end up having permanent house guests that could cramp your style when you want to visit. :realmad::wallbash:

LOL

I don't think that is going to happen. To begin with my gf would have no part of that little scenario. She wants to be alone. The place won't be big enough and they have a perfectly good house already. I really don't think her mother would move anywhere. That would take dynamite.

You might not be able to get a mortgage but your lady will.

I doubt it, without a proper job and prove of a regular salary.

And having a "guarantor" is not gonna be easy neither. We're not speaking about buying a 20K motorbike here !

PS : Izi , be carefull with the brick and mortar building. Very very easy (nearly sure) to run over budget....

I doubt it, without a proper job and prove of a regular salary.

And having a "guarantor" is not gonna be easy neither. We're not speaking about buying a 20K motorbike here !

PS : Izi , be carefull with the brick and mortar building. Very very easy (nearly sure) to run over budget....

Spot on!!

You grasp the situation completely.

A mortgage is out of the question, not least because on a personal note I will have nothing to do with debt in any way. I refer everybody to my thread / blog "Snapshot" under political rhetoric.

A bricks and mortar building is WIDE open to turning into a financial monster. Shoot it can happen in the west let alone Thailand. I will need highly specific numbers before I consider it.

All this "well you have the land so all you have to do is lay a concrete pad and lay a few bricks" is a load of bilge. It is way more complicated than that and if you don't do it right you will be back to do it again.

More money.

No, it has to be planned and done right in the first place. That takes time which I don't have and money which I don't have.

Hence the knock down.

A fast controllable solution which is definitely not perfect.

One good thing with a concrete house you can design it small, bedroom, living room toilet with outside kitchen but design in such a way that you can add on easily if the need arises.

I have looked at knock down teak houses here in southern thailand and they work out twice the price of an equivalent concrete home.

You should be able to built in isaan for less than 8000 baht a square metre, a couple of years ago 6000 was possible but inflation and labour costs are way up.

I have just completed building a small resort in southern thailand and construction costs including tiles painting kitchens etc came in well under the 10000 baht per m and here prices are very expensive

One good thing with a concrete house you can design it small, bedroom, living room toilet with outside kitchen but design in such a way that you can add on easily if the need arises.

I have looked at knock down teak houses here in southern thailand and they work out twice the price of an equivalent concrete home.

You should be able to built in isaan for less than 8000 baht a square metre, a couple of years ago 6000 was possible but inflation and labour costs are way up.

I have just completed building a small resort in southern thailand and construction costs including tiles painting kitchens etc came in well under the 10000 baht per m and here prices are very expensive

Thank you, that is encouraging. We also discussed the possibilty of getting something basic done then adding to it in the future and I think that is the way to go. I see what you are saying about the prefabs. I have been thinking they are overpriced for what they are. Then you have transportation costs, installation costs etc.

If we can get a concrete foundation in properly with a retaining wall then, making sure that all water / drainage pipes are suitably in place then maybe we will have a chance at building something that is respectable.

How does sewage and water function in Thailand? Do they have a sewage tank that has to be periodically drained or a sewage field?

She is talking about drilling for water and if that is so you have to be very careful with the sewage or / and install a serious filtration system.

Electricity can be dropped in easily I think.

Yes, but you were there watching closely I suppose.

Delegate it to the Mrs, helped and work executed by (unskilled) family members is IMO a receipe for disaster....

I did some heavy renovation in France, and even dividing the project in lots, each lot being payable in 3 payments, and not having 2 lots running at same time, it was not a easy thing.

Here it would probably have end up (handled by the Mrs), darling no have enough money. need 10.000 more (Euro)....