Latest News
  • *** word of the day LOYALTY *** POODLE is a word we must not forget *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril *** can you remember when TRUST was something and HONOUR was something *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril ***

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Izi

Building A House From Scratch In Roi Et

Yes, but you were there watching closely I suppose.

Delegate it to the Mrs, helped and work executed by (unskilled) family members is IMO a receipe for disaster....

I did some heavy renovation in France, and even dividing the project in lots, each lot being payable in 3 payments, and not having 2 lots running at same time, it was not a easy thing.

Here it would probably have end up (handled by the Mrs), darling no have enough money. need 10.000 more (Euro)....

Exactly! One of my main points.

That is what will happen.

Start with a 100,000 baht beginning kitty then another and another until it is 2 million baht. This worries me and is why I want a falang, familiar with the building business to control, design etc. Even that is open to abuse.

Exactly! One of my main points.

That is what will happen.

Start with a 100,000 baht beginning kitty then another and another until it is 2 million baht. This worries me and is why I want a falang, familiar with the building business to control, design etc. Even that is open to abuse.

You have to start putting in some trust somewhere. Youve got some cash, youve mentioned yourself you invest better than your 401k gives returns. Do that build it up to 2-3 million thb and start the process...just a thought thats all

You have to start putting in some trust somewhere. Youve got some cash, youve mentioned yourself you invest better than your 401k gives returns. Do that build it up to 2-3 million thb and start the process...just a thought thats all

As you say there has to be some trust. We just discussed this again and we have settled on 500,000 to get everything done. There are family members who know building and we have some kitchen stuff already.

I think what will happen is a loan against an annuity. That is likely to happen anyway either for the business (buy a trailer) or for the family place in Issan. OR if all goes well I can start coining it nicely. It will work out it is all about time and money. Worse things have happened to me and this is definitely a high class problem if you know what I mean.

Just to give you another figure, I have just finished talking to a builder to build a kitchen and bar , floor area of 7*9 m and he wanted 1600 per m labour cost without ceilings or electric which would be approximately 35000. I suspect not including painting, but includes tiles benches etc. all I do is provide materials.

I will turn it down as too dear, I can do cheaper.

He expected all in to cost about 300000, including extra 3 m lean too on front

Chaps who think you should use your wife as a project manager for a build should ask themselves why she is not employed as a project manager already.

True, but my wife organised the building of our house in Rayong, her father and his buddies did the building work, I paid for materials and 'drinks' every day, job got done, and 16 year later it's still standing strong.

post-53271-0-07001500-1393315968_thumb.j

Chaps who think you should use your wife as a project manager for a build should ask themselves why she is not employed as a project manager already.

Exactly I couldn't agree more. What we are planning is something more modest than piglet or cats gaffs. Apparently the family has some experience with all this. Course the land is free which is a boon.

Maybe just buy a cheap condo to start with and go from there? At least it will be in your name too.

True, but my wife organised the building of our house in Rayong, her father and his buddies did the building work, I paid for materials and 'drinks' every day, job got done, and 16 year later it's still standing strong.

attachicon.gifstick 1.JPG

Again

Encouraging.

Maybe just buy a cheap condo to start with and go from there? At least it will be in your name too.

There are no condos in the village.

Went for a walk down to Festival yesterday. Anyway off Bukhao they are doing a bit of 'building'. Throwing something up. Firstly they don't seem to have any kind of concrete down, straight onto the ground. Secondly the row of bricks was up and down like a brides nightie. This is what I want to avoid.

I feel if I let this go without me actually being there they will use lego and some super glue.

Guess I will need a architect even for a small job.

Lego and superglue? You ain't gonna get anything built that strong or with such good insulating properties up in Isaan.

Joking aside there are some breeze blocks available in places like Global House with better insulation values that probably wouldn't add much to the cost of a small build but maybe worth it in the long run especially if aircon was added at a later date.

Qcon blocks is the name.

Teakdoor is a good place to get info on this stuff.

Went for a walk down to Festival yesterday. Anyway off Bukhao they are doing a bit of 'building'. Throwing something up. Firstly they don't seem to have any kind of concrete down, straight onto the ground. Secondly the row of bricks was up and down like a brides nightie. This is what I want to avoid.

I feel if I let this go without me actually being there they will use lego and some super glue.

Guess I will need a architect even for a small job.

Blocks used in my place are the heavy granite type blocks , we ordered a couple of thousand of them for house and perimeter walls etc.

Showing off in front of the mrs, i moved about 500 of them from delivery point to building site and ripped my hands to shreds . For a week after that nursing them in iodine she thought i was a cnut .

I thought i was a cnut to .

you are looking at a box, with a roof, that doesnt need an architect as, you will be surprised, thai builders actually can work to your plans and do a decent job.

the concetp of pour the slab, brick and roof is pretty much as it wil be. labour is chaep and supplies are too.

septic tank will cost you less than 1000 baht installed. its a series of rings dropped into a hole, with a lid on top.. simple as, and works. just put one in for someone here near pattaya.

so you work out where u want the bog and sink. the pipe before they slab. brick up, cables in, plaster and with windows, doors, a roof and a lick of paint, thats it. it aint rocket science and its cheap,

set the price before you start, i do that all the time,

little place, 2 bedrooms, kitchen, bog, shower and living room..you own the land and power/water is there...prob 4-500K. pls ac units and ant spray and bug zpper

I agree its possible to build somthing along those lines for that kind of money ....would still be a box though and somthing that would need improving, and if not cash rich could become a pain in the ass financially in the future.

Even my place over 10 years since build i have added onto extensively , refurb , shop, driveway , landscaping , perimeter walls , electrics / water supplies to different areas , fencing , metal gates, security bars and lighting (a gun) ...the list goes on and on

The best forum for getting information on building in thailand is coolthaihouse

Yep, already dicovered that but haven't dived in yet.

Blocks used in my place are the heavy granite type blocks , we ordered a couple of thousand of them for house and perimeter walls etc.

Showing off in front of the mrs, i moved about 500 of them from delivery point to building site and ripped my hands to shreds . For a week after that nursing them in iodine she thought i was a cnut.

I thought i was a cnut to.

Maybe we will end up with something like that, early days yet and if she mentions gold one more time I will probably kill her. I said I would give her 2 months money when I leave and if I could I would send some additional money at the beginning of April.

This got translated into we are giving her sister ANOTHER 5000 to come to Bangkok to pick her and the baby up AND she is going to buy a gold necklace.

I was a little upset.

But only to excess!

Apparently it takes 2500b of gas to get to BKK one way. So rt = 5000.

Is this true? I have no idea of the cost of gas or how much juice it takes to go from Roi Et to Bangers. Sounds like a lot to me. It is an 8 hour ride on a bus.

As for the gold I told her that she can pay the extra 5k and the rest was for food, electricity and all the other little expenses she has put there. NOT for freaking gold.

you are looking at a box, with a roof, that doesnt need an architect as, you will be surprised, thai builders actually can work to your plans and do a decent job.

the concetp of pour the slab, brick and roof is pretty much as it wil be. labour is chaep and supplies are too.

septic tank will cost you less than 1000 baht installed. its a series of rings dropped into a hole, with a lid on top.. simple as, and works. just put one in for someone here near pattaya.

so you work out where u want the bog and sink. the pipe before they slab. brick up, cables in, plaster and with windows, doors, a roof and a lick of paint, thats it. it aint rocket science and its cheap, set the price before you start, i do that all the time,

little place, 2 bedrooms, kitchen, bog, shower and living room..you own the land and power/water is there...prob 4-500K. pls ac units and ant spray and bug zpper

I think this sums everything up and I appreciate the input.

I agree its possible to build somthing along those lines for that kind of money ....would still be a box though and somthing that would need improving, and if not cash rich could become a pain in the ass financially in the future.

Even my place over 10 years since build i have added onto extensively , refurb , shop, driveway , landscaping , perimeter walls , electrics / water supplies to different areas , fencing , metal gates, security bars and lighting (a gun) ...the list goes on and on

Improving is going to be the watchword here. So long as it is slow and steady we will be ok but if this goes into rinse then I will back off.

Yep, already dicovered that but haven't dived in yet.

Maybe we will end up with something like that, early days yet and if she mentions gold one more time I will probably kill her. I said I would give her 2 months money when I leave and if I could I would send some additional money at the beginning of April.

This got translated into we are giving her sister ANOTHER 5000 to come to Bangkok to pick her and the baby up AND she is going to buy a gold necklace.

I was a little upset.

But only to excess!

Apparently it takes 2500b of gas to get to BKK one way. So rt = 5000.

Is this true? I have no idea of the cost of gas or how much juice it takes to go from Roi Et to Bangers. Sounds like a lot to me. It is an 8 hour ride on a bus.

As for the gold I told her that she can pay the extra 5k and the rest was for food, electricity and all the other little expenses she has put there. NOT for freaking gold.

I think this sums everything up and I appreciate the input.

Improving is going to be the watchword here. So long as it is slow and steady we will be ok but if this goes into rinse then I will back off.

Not so much "the rinse" just things you will want to improve while living there .

Ok,

I have been busy.

I generated a few pictures to try to get a handle on where I am going with this. They aren't much but if anybody would care to point out any glaring mistakes it would be appreciated.

I went for a basic box. Rectangular with 2 bedrooms an outside kitchen (as was requested). Living room, pass through window for kitchen to dining area. A straight forward shower / toilet. One story.

We are going to have to build a retaining wall to get a flat surface but at least flooding is not a problem. AC can be dealt with later. I am going to Issan in September to ispect site and do what I can to do some primary organization. Although she is keen to start clearing land doing the retaining wall. I might go along with it if she isn't doing anything too crazy.

Do you think they can choose a site that isn't going to slide off the side without any help??

Should I go with an architect?

It is a pretty simple design. I knocked it up in about an hour and a half with an online freebie website.

Anyway here we go.

post-907-0-04743500-1393912690_thumb.jpgpost-907-0-03125400-1393912709_thumb.jpgpost-907-0-51533200-1393912878_thumb.jpg

This

https://www.facebook.com/izifaddag

Will get you to my facebook page and you can go look at a 3d rendering at the site. Tell me what you think or if I am being a cnut

This is what I am afraid of. Only good thing is that I have told her this is going to take time. I have GOT to build the business in the direction I want. My buddy just informed me that his gross this year - he is doing taxes so he just found out - was $179,000. Net is probably $80,000. Going to be a wrench but it has to be done. My mate is always taking time off so we are comparable being as I am in Thailand each year quite a bit.

Apples to apples.

The house has to come second. That way everyone will win in the end.

I/P welcome.

so you work out where u want the bog and sink. the pipe before they slab. brick up, cables in, plaster and with windows, doors, a roof and a lick of paint, thats it. it aint rocket science and its cheap,

set the price before you start, i do that all the time,

Wanted to address the septic thing. I don't know what you mean about 'rings'. Apparently they put a box in the ground and it is emptied every 3 months by a tanker for 100 baht. Sounds horrible!

You are wasting the space in the hallway between the bathroom and the end bedroom. Put the bedroom door in line with the front of the bathroom wall and you get a couple of extra metres space in the end bedroom.

You are wasting the space in the hallway between the bathroom and the end bedroom. Put the bedroom door in line with the front of the bathroom wall and you get a couple of extra metres space in the end bedroom.

Hang on let me look at that.

post-907-0-12625700-1393926521_thumb.jpg

Izi , just a little tip , pay a visit to the local amphur office near your village . They will have copies of plans available for you to choose that have previously been submitted (standard builds)

This was the case with my place , they ran off a copy for me that i chose (forget how much probably B600) armed with that we approached my building company .

Obviously you will need permission , so land title deeds etc will need to be produced and once built an inspection is made .

They seem to have tightend up of late and anything erected needs inspection .....last october i almost finished building off a perimeter wall at the bottom of our land (we have 3 Rai) , and where the boundary met our neighbours we had to wait for a government inspector to put a bamboo stick in the ground with a Big C plastic bag tied to it ,to mark the boundary :D

Once this was done we could continue

If you are still in Thai in a few weeks , i am more than happy to take you through the whole process

Kitty x