Latest News
  • *** word of the day LOYALTY *** POODLE is a word we must not forget *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril *** can you remember when TRUST was something and HONOUR was something *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril ***

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

mulphy

Is The Jolly Friar Closed Down ?

the jolly friar fish n chips shop soi leng kee .

last 3 times ive sent staff to get me fish n chips they have come back and said its closed .

does anyone know if it has actually closed down or altered its opening hours or only temporarily closed ?

Has it changed ownership again as I haven't been there for about 16 months and the last time I ate there it didn't appear to be as good as when it originally opened. The answer then was that it had new owners, have those owners moved on or is it just renovation presently. I liked the set up and the ability to select the items you wished to eat in terms of different fish or potato accompaniment.

Has it changed ownership again as I haven't been there for about 16 months and the last time I ate there it didn't appear to be as good as when it originally opened. The answer then was that it had new owners, have those owners moved on or is it just renovation presently. I liked the set up and the ability to select the items you wished to eat in terms of different fish or potato accompaniment.

Did they sell cod and haddock and if so what was the price just out of interest.

Did they sell cod and haddock and if so what was the price just out of interest.

Here's a link:http://www.jollyfriarpattaya.com/fish_E.html

Now it is an existing link so can't promise it will remain the same if they have new owners. It was a good selection, have a look at the whole menu, it was extensive.

Wok n rok does decent fish n chips I'm told.

Cheers

I can vouch for that. I've had the best fish n chips from there.

Here's a link:http://www.jollyfriarpattaya.com/fish_E.html

Now it is an existing link so can't promise it will remain the same if they have new owners. It was a good selection, have a look at the whole menu, it was extensive.

That Norwegian cod looked promising.

Only place I've found authentic fish and chips in asia is Smiths in Singapore. For me it has to be Cod or Haddock , I'm not keen on the Dory etc. Smiths in Singapore even looks like a fish and chip shop you'd find back in the UK. Black Swan in Bangkok does a decent Cod and chips but most places I've tried do not represent fish and chips like back home.

Only place I've found authentic fish and chips in asia is Smiths in Singapore. For me it has to be Cod or Haddock , I'm not keen on the Dory etc. Smiths in Singapore even looks like a fish and chip shop you'd find back in the UK. Black Swan in Bangkok does a decent Cod and chips but most places I've tried do not represent fish and chips like back home.

Smiths F+C in Singapore is the best iv had in Asia. Many moons ago there was a Harry Ramsdens in Hong Kong which was good for a fix.

If someone would make an effort, do it properly and get it right in Pattaya they would do very well.

Agree Dory is not the greatest advert for Fish and Chips, I prefer it bread crumbed in Thailand if Dory.

Have had a few Fish and Chips in Hong Kong, have no idea what I was eating but I bet it was cod and it was lovely. About 26 years since I had Fish and Chips in Singapore.

The JF was always my fri nt fish n chip meal before doing the gogo rounds around LK Metro.

Was the bees knees few yrs ago and you sometimes struggled to get a seat there as was packed most evenings.

Read a few posts that its changed hands few times and although some said wasn't as good, I thought was ok when there earlier this year apart from some stroppy waitress.

unfortunately not consistent .

good when its good , gets thrown in the bin when its not .

no excuse for burning the batter but they can and do .

Read that there's a lot more places doing better fish n chips so will give them a go too when next there.

Always the way when 1 place is the tops for food, everyone raves on about it but they do go bit downhill after a while.

Read that there's a lot more places doing better fish n chips so will give them a go too when next there.

Always the way when 1 place is the tops for food, everyone raves on about it but they do go bit downhill after a while.

where have you heard of that's better .

unfortunately not consistent .

good when its good , gets thrown in the bin when its not .

no excuse for burning the batter but they can and do .

My last purchase from there had burnt batter and a huge bone in it. When I say last purchase I mean it, they are not getting another chance to do that again.

Simons in jomtien and curry n chips are supposed to be pretty good. Nickys and Neeroys also with a try.

Have read about the place within New Plaza is it Frydays? gets rave reviews and quite reasonable.

Plus Jockys on soi Lengkee supposedly is nice too? as have ate there several times and found the food nice and clean but not tried the fish n chips there yet.

Simons in jomtien and curry n chips are supposed to be pretty good. Nickys and Neeroys also with a try.

simons isn't very good , haven't tried curry n chips due to its location , neeroys is absolute shite , haven't had fish n chips in nickys .

Have read about the place within New Plaza is it Frydays? gets rave reviews and quite reasonable.

Plus Jockys on soi Lengkee supposedly is nice too? as have ate there several times and found the food nice and clean but not tried the fish n chips there yet.

tried the place in new plaza once , pretty average but worth 99 b .

never tried jockys .

simons isn't very good , haven't tried curry n chips due to its location , neeroys is absolute shite , haven't had fish n chips in nickys .

I wouldn't mind trying nickys sometime, f&c is on special Fridays for us left footers, only 160bt

As a yank I don't present myself as an expert on f&c, and I'm sure opinions vary about what makes a good one, but Jules here in View Talay 1A makes f&c that I personally find delicious, and I don't remember anyone I recommended it to giving it anything but a good review.

As a yank I don't present myself as an expert on f&c, and I'm sure opinions vary about what makes a good one, but Jules here in View Talay 1A makes f&c that I personally find delicious, and I don't remember anyone I recommended it to giving it anything but a good review.

got to be honest you continually praise jules for food and I know you eat there quite regularly with it being only downstairs to you .

on a personal level ive been disappointed in everything ive eaten there .