Latest News
  • The Latest News
  • The lottery
  • Good news for all the lottery syndicate players - - - Yet again this week and last week... scooping winnings two weeks in a row now.... Good news for all the lottery syndicate players - - - Yet again this week and last week... scooping winnings two weeks in a row now.... Good news for all the lottery syndicate players - - - Yet again this week and last week... scooping winnings two weeks in a row now.... Good news for all the lottery syndicate players - - - Yet again this week and last week... scooping winnings two weeks in a row now....

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Evil Penevil

Under 300 Baht ... And Good!

And a new installment:

2.jpg

1.jpg

Taco Taco Tex Mex is a food stall that sells tacos, burritos and margaritas in the Soi Bukhao Night Market (see map below).  As you face the Night Market on Soi Bukhao, Taco Taco is in the front row of stalls, second from the left.

1a.jpg

It has a small folding table and a few plastic stools in front for anyone who wants to eat on site, but most of the business is takeaway.  Your choice is limited to different types of tacos and burritos, all cooked to order. 

7.jpg

It's basically homestyle Tex Mex done by a cook who knows what she's doing in terms of flavor.

4.jpg

5.jpg

There are plenty of hot sauces available to add as much heat as you want.  She makes everything with just a little bit of bite.

5a.jpg

3.jpg

Taco Taco has four types of burritos:  bean, pork, chicken and beef.  They range in price from 80 baht for a bean burrito to 105 baht for the beef burrito in the pic below.

8.jpg

The Taco Taco burritos are the large, U.S. variety, stuffed with a meat, potato and cheese mixture.  

9.jpg

I don't want to get too specific about the burrito style (Mission, California, San Diego, etc.) as that would require a  long and complicated discussion.  Suffice it to say the burritos I had from Taco Taco tasted great and were quite filling.

10.jpg

The tacos can be ordered with either soft wheat tortillas or hard-shell corn tortillas and filled with pork, chicken or beef mixtures. 

11.jpg

They are based on small tortillas, three or four inches in diameter. That's the size of the original tacos sold as street food both in Mexico and in Mexican neighborhoods in the U.S.

12.jpg

The larger U-shaped hard-shell pre-fried corn tortillas were invented in the 1940s by Mexican restauranteurs in the U.S. to speed up preparation in commercial kitchens.  The hard-shell tacos were popularized in the 1950s mainly through the franchising operations of Glenn Bell, founder of taco bell.

13.jpg

Shredded lettuce, sour cream and guacamole on hard-shell tacos is more Taco Bell than Mexican.  The Taco Taco version is closer to the Mexican no-fuss type, but the yellow cheese topping makes it squarely Tex Mex.  The tacos are small, so you'll need several if you are hungry.  The food in the pics- a beef burrito, two soft pork tacos and two pork tortilla) cost 250 baht.

14.jpg

Taco Taco Tex Mex is a great option for a takeaway meal or late-night snack.  I simply love the beef burritos and could eat one every day.  Of course, if you want a sit-down Mexican meal with more sophisticated flavors and a much wider choice of dishes, then visit Dave's Cantina (review) on Soi Regional Land.  A pic and a special from Dave's:

IMG_6189.jpg

23319086_1916458585036990_8901432442646938228_n.jpg

Evil

:devil

For those not familiar with the Soi Bukhao area, here's a map.  The Night Market is almost on a straight line due east of Central Festival Mall.  The Night Market is a few hundred meters north of LK Metro. Jolly's and The Great American Sandwich Company are close to it.

Capture.JPG

IMG_0086.jpg

I've had several meals at Spaghetti Bistro,  a rcently opened small restaurant on Soi 15 behind The Avenue Shopping Plaza.

IMG_0092.jpg

As its name indicates, pasta is its mainstay and it offers a surprisingly large choice for a small restaurant. All the standard pasta dishes on the menu can be done with spaghetti, penne or tagliatelle and there's an option to "design your own" plate of pasta  in terms of sauce and ingredients. It also serves other Western dishes (steak, pork chops, chicken, tuna, salmon, salads, appetizers, sandwiches and  desserts) and a few Thai dishes. 

1.jpg

It does have some interesting items on the menu that I am looking forward to trying the. "Oriental Merguez & Harissa" pasta as well as the "Camembert on Toast."  The menu clearly has some French and international touches to it.  It's mainly Italian, but not strictly so.

2.jpg

There are four tables and some bar counter seats under the roof, plus a couple of small tables outside. It has a ceiling-mounted flat-screen TV and free WiFi.

IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

I tried the "Triple Cheesy (Parmesan, Emmental, blue cheese) with penne for 220 baht. It was a decent portion with excellent flavor. The chef got the mixture of cheeses 

just right.

IMG_0091.jpg

post-6485-0-81681600-1502230242.jpg

The penne was cooked as it should be, al dente.  A problem with a lot of the pasta in Pattaya is that it is overcooked.

IMG_0089.jpg

Another day I had the old standard from my school lunches, spaghetti and meatballs, for 185 baht. The Spaghetti Bistrot version added diced fresh tomato.  Again, a good portion with great flavor in the sauce and meatballs.

IMG_0105.jpg

post-6485-0-40230300-1502230254.jpg

post-6485-0-87402500-1502230257.jpgIMG_0102.jpg

Spaghetti Bistrot offers a daily special, such as the "Surf N Turf"  announced in the pic below that I took from the restaurant's Facebook page. I've also seen Chicken Parmesan as a special for 240 baht.  It also offers bottled beers, wine and spirits.

Untitled-1.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

One interesting feature is that it offers both take-away and delivery.  It's also open from 9.00 a.m. to 3.00 a.m., which are ambitious hours.

IMG_0112.jpg

The menu is extensive and rather sophisticated for a small restaurant.  I no idea who owns it, but I've only ever seen Thais working there.  The chef must have had a strong background in preparing European farang food. The only American items on the menu are the "Chicken Wings  New Orleans" and the Chicken Parm, which was first made by Italian immigrants to the U.S. 

I certainly hope Spaghetti Bistrot succeeds, but I worry about its location.  Soi 15 between 2nd Road and Soi Bukhao has very little foot traffic.  Perhaps there are enough farang who live or stay in the immediate area to attract a solid customer base; otherwise it may struggle. The prices are reasonable for the quality of the food, but many enclosed restaurants with air conditioning offer similar dishes in the same price range. I wish them the best and I'm  keeping.

Second visit-

This is what I had for supper:

IMG_0157.jpg

The menu calls it "Oriental merguez & harissa."  Merguez is a spicy lamb sausage of North African origin.  Harissa is a paste made from chillies and various spices.  It's common in Moroccan cooking.  That a sophisticated dish for a small outdoor eatery in Pattaya.

IMG_0158.jpg

I had it with tagliatelle and it cost 185 baht. 

IMG_0163.jpg

I liked it very much.  I enjoy merguez and it's not often you see it on menus in Pattaya.

IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0166.jpg

IMG_0167.jpg

I like the "open kitchen" model.  Yesterday a Russian woman was giving the cook a lot of suggestions about preparing her meal.

IMG_0156.jpg

Evil

:devil

Edited by Evil Penevil

Nice report

Very nice menu.

The price of the wine by 0.5 L and 1 L is very good although, no doubt, one of the regular brands such as Mont Claire. 

You are probably right to have concerns about it's location.  I have stayed at Mercure many times and I have always be happy to walk passed those bars etc opposite the back of the Avenue. They all look a little sad and not always the cleanliest of areas. The restaurant looks nice but maybe in the wrong place; I think if it was nearer to Soi Bukhao and air con the place would be packed, looked sparse of customers the times you have been there.

Great report as always, thanks 🙏🏼 

2.jpg

The hours at Taco Taco Tex Mex have shifted a couple of times, but here's what its FB page now says:
 3 p.m. to midnight.

Capture2.JPG

Evil

23a.jpg

It's been at least eight months since I've eaten at the Robin Hood Tavern in The Avenue Shopping Plaza.  I have nothing against the Robin Hood, it's just there are so many options for dining in Pattaya that a restaurant has to be special in some way for me to eat there regularly.  The menu at the Robin Hood is understandably focused on U.K. pub food,  of which I've grown a bit weary.

Last night a friend who'd never tried the RH wanted to give it a whirl and I went along.  He had the cottage pie at 290 baht ...

IMG_0012.jpg

while I had the Hunter's Chicken for 260 baht.

IMG_0014.jpg

Neither of us had any complaints, but we both felt the food was a bit overpriced for what you get.  There's enormous demand for U.K. food in Pattaya and dozens of pubs and restaurants vie to fill that demand- and the bellies of tourists and resident ex-pats.  While the RH is physically a more comfortable restaurant (good A/C, spacious, well-lit) than most of its competitors, the food itself doesn't stand out.

I had wanted the daily special, chicken tikka masala with naan and poppadom at 179 baht,  but it was already finished at 7.00 p.m.  When a special is no longer available, I do think they should take it off the board outside the restaurant.

My friend liked his classic British comfort food.  The taste was fine and the portion large, but he felt the price was high compared to similar portions of cottage pie at other restaurants.

IMG_0010.jpg

Hunter's Chicken is a ubiquitous dish that comes in many variations depending on the country where it's served.  The RH's version was British style, which is very different from Chicken Chasseur (Poulet Sauté Chasseur) or Chicken Cacciatore ((Pollo alla Cacciatora).

IMG_0016.jpg ]

The British version usually consists of a chicken breast wrapped in a couple of rashers of bacon, then topped with BBQ sauce and cheese and baked.  It's actually closer to a U.S. southern regional dish called smothered chicken (the BBQ sauce and bacon are the clues) than the French or Italian hunter-style braised chicken dishes.

IMG_0013.jpg

At the RH, the fillet of chicken breast had been pounded thin, breaded and pan-fried. It was topped with BBQ sauce (homemade, according to the menu), mozzarella cheese, two slices of streaky bacon fried crisp and some shreds of cheddar for color more than flavor.

IMG_0017.jpg

It came with a tiny portion of coleslaw, which was watery but good, a dish of ketchup and shoestring fries.

IMG_0018.jpg

The fillet had been nicely fried, although perhaps it had been pounded a bit too thin as the meat was somewhat dry.  The BBQ was properly an accent and didn't overwhelm the dish.  I could taste the chicken, bacon and mozzarella, not just BBQ sauce. 

IMG_0019.jpg

Shoestring fries are a favorite of mine and the RH's version was done well.  The super-thin slices of potato require split-second timing in the fryer; otherwise, they lose all flavor and only the crunch remains.

IMG_0020.jpg

Bottom line:  The RH-style Hunter's Chicken gets a thumbup.gif , although it didn't make my taste buds dance. The shoestring fries are as big an attraction as the dish itself.  I can well imagine having it again, but I won't be rushing back.  

Evil

23a.jpg.b8575f94ad845acc05ed2e95dc1867dc.jpg

Your Hunter style chicken dish looks more like what we call Chicken New Yorker which is sold in many pub style eateries in UK. The recipes are similar and may be referred to as both names but I have tried Hunters style in the UK and it usually has mushrooms in it, maybe even only a minimal amount of cheese I.e not smothered.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.