Latest News
  • FREE HOLIDAYS to Midnight and CBK --- Any more for any more..? *** Don't forget about this months P.L members meeting @ The Rock House on friday the 27th of July... it would be great to see you if your in town...!

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
lanzalad

Building a house in Thailand

I'd like to build a house here on the DS but the fact I'd be away for periods of four weeks during the build means it's a non starter.

• Thumbs up 1

1 minute ago, Murchie said:

I'd like to build a house here on the DS but the fact I'd be away for periods of four weeks during the build means it's a non starter.

If i was in your shoes mate i'd hire a project manager to over see it.

• Thumbs up 1

Make sure your there as the footings are getting done so you know the lay out.. and then you should be on your way.

1 minute ago, lanzalad said:

Already thought i would use the brother in law he used to be village head man ( up to a couple of years ago ) very straight shooter 

Unlikely would be there for the footings 

18 minutes ago, nickrock said:

A couple of kms out of phanom dong rak south of surin not far from the cambo border

I am guessing it may be a bit too far away for this mob.

They've done a good job in fairness but he did have someone watch over them so that is bound to make a difference.

On the flip side there were some things not in the contract that only came to light when the build was almost complete Only I metre of concrete around the house, he extended to 2 and of course this was "an extra over" and he paid top dollar for it. There was no water run off plans. He paid extra for guttering and drainage again at a premium.

Cost just under 2 million Baht and the guy is very pleased. Not my style but I am not going to live there :)

Mrs rock cant go over 1m but shes only wanting a small simple place to stay when she visits as i have made it quite clear i have no intention of ever retiring to thailand 

12 minutes ago, nickrock said:

Mrs rock cant go over 1m but shes only wanting a small simple place to stay when she visits as i have made it quite clear i have no intention of ever retiring to thailand 

Dont say that, you may win the lottery and end up playing golf in Phuket....

Otherwhile I can speak to my mate Uncle Abdallah and sort you a top spot near the mosque. UK city of your choice !  You'll need to pick up some singing skils....

31 minutes ago, lanzalad said:

What's your daily rate 😁😁😁😁

Thinking of asking the owner of the place I rent if he'd be interested in selling as we're very happy here. You know the set we have and what we have here works for us.

I know for a fact the roof needs work on it but not sure if it's a case of replacing some tiles or redoing the whole lot. I have a feeling it could be the latter.

Just need to find out if the owners willing to sell and at what price. Having looked at what's available on the market I'd value this place at about 4 million baht.

23 minutes ago, thai spice said:

Dont say that, you may win the lottery and end up playing golf in Phuket....

Otherwhile I can speak to my mate Uncle Abdallah and sort you a top spot near the mosque. UK city of your choice !  You'll need to pick up some singing skils....

Never going to happen all i would do if i had mega shitsville pesos i would cut my hours back from 60+ a week and take the odd holiday

If i ever take up golf or buy a range rover , land rover you have my permission to rinse me dry

1 minute ago, nickrock said:

Never going to happen all i would do if i had mega shitsville pesos i would cut my hours back from 60+ a week and take the odd holiday

Never say never.... A year ago I had no idea that retirement and doing sweet F.A. could be enjoyable. ..... Like today our main question was which restaurant we would have lunch.  

Tonight the Miss cooked a curry (yes, I should check if there isn't a Brit in her background somewhere...) and old Papa/Mama are of to bed. 

• Thumbs up 1

I couldnt stand the boredom 3-4 days in NBZ and i have to go to the bright lights plus i cant survive with out a regular diet of steak eggs and chips lol

42 minutes ago, nickrock said:

I couldnt stand the boredom 3-4 days in NBZ and i have to go to the bright lights plus i cant survive with out a regular diet of steak eggs and chips lol

With some books, and being a bit older 10 to 15 days in the jungle is doable. Knowing I have my area, and my interaction with family and locals is minimal. Food for 2 weeks is easy to bring over, but still a very limited range of menus. And no way I will eat the local "stuff".

Always very happy to be back on the sea in Bali with proper civilization.  

Maybe will start a chapter.on my thread on this subject... Because Bali being a island, live will tend to become boring here pretty fast as well.

4 hours ago, Murchie said:

You could do it 4 weeks on 4 ofd mate ,  or as Lanza says get a project manager ...Some unreal build at Santa Maria an Irish  builder .... scary good ..

2 hours ago, thai spice said:

With some books, and being a bit older 10 to 15 days in the jungle is doable. Knowing I have my area, and my interaction with family and locals is minimal. Food for 2 weeks is easy to bring over, but still a very limited range of menus. And no way I will eat the local "stuff".

Always very happy to be back on the sea in Bali with proper civilization.  

Maybe will start a chapter.on my thread on this subject... Because Bali being a island, live will tend to become boring here pretty fast as well.

Thats retirement  rather than the island,  we have books, the net , swimming , golf, fishing  , whatever we like.... Retirement  is a funny thing after being so time poor ... I still don't read enough ... Some say I write too much 🤣

3 hours ago, Murchie said:

What's your daily rate 😁😁😁😁

Thinking of asking the owner of the place I rent if he'd be interested in selling as we're very happy here. You know the set we have and what we have here works for us.

I know for a fact the roof needs work on it but not sure if it's a case of replacing some tiles or redoing the whole lot. I have a feeling it could be the latter.

Just need to find out if the owners willing to sell and at what price. Having looked at what's available on the market I'd value this place at about 4 million baht.

If you know the place and like it ... thats a good route forward ...

6 minutes ago, Parky said:

You could do it 4 weeks on 4 ofd mate ,  or as Lanza says get a project manager ...Some unreal build at Santa Maria an Irish  builder .... scary good ..

If Lanzalad was in Thailand I'd hire him.

• Thumbs up 2

14 minutes ago, Parky said:

If you know the place and like it ... thats a good route forward ...

Been here four years now, feels like home and I'd be happy to call it home. All ifs and buts at the moment though. Catch 22 when you ask the owner if they want to sell though. All I can do is ask and take it from there.

Just now, Murchie said:

Been here four years now, feels like home and I'd be happy to call it home. All ifs and buts at the moment though. Catch 22 when you ask the owner if they want to sell though. All I can do is ask and take it from there.

Well if you approach  it right  he/she could well sell, he has had 4 years if he thought you were moving out he/she may want  to cash in ......... Good luck with  it ,

• Thumbs up 1

4 hours ago, nickrock said:

Let me know if you'd like the details of the guy we used. 

It's rather close by so I suppose he'll be up for the job. 

6 minutes ago, Parky said:

Well if you approach  it right  he/she could well sell, he has had 4 years if he thought you were moving out he/she may want  to cash in ......... Good luck with  it ,

Pretty much what I'm thinking. 

• Thumbs up 1

4 hours ago, Murchie said:

If Lanzalad was in Thailand I'd hire him.

I've got the same problem here in the UK as i know what i'm on about and ask all the right questions for my extension on the back of the house.

No one will do it.. The job its self is easy to do but I don't have the time while I'm making money.

So with it been a small job for the bigger companies they are not really interested so I've asked 4 small companies kind of man and son teams to price it up and not one has come back to me.

So I've now decided to build it my self next summer.. and i'll sort out all the paperwork and plans my self..

This is all Im looking at doing... 

thumb-extensions.jpg

8 hours ago, Esco said:

Let me know if you'd like the details of the guy we used. 

It's rather close by so I suppose he'll be up for the job. 

I will get it off you closer to xmas time before we head over 

7 hours ago, nickrock said:

I will get it off you closer to xmas time before we head over 

I'll be in Buriram right after Christmas until mid Jan. Happy to meet for a beer if you're going to Surin around that time. 

1 minute ago, Esco said:

I'll be in Buriram right after Christmas until mid Jan. Happy to meet for a beer if you're going to Surin around that time. 

Good chance we will be up that way for Christmas New Year.

• Thumbs up 1